X-Gene/Meta-Gene origin CVnU

Doctor_Burns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Doctor_Burns

Something that had been going around my head a while back when I was going through a few wikis and comics (as well as discussing something in another thread) is something I'd like to generally make a sort of discussion about, the origin of the X-Gene/Metagene.

Now, to start this off, DC doesn't really go into much any detail that I can find of where the Metagene actually comes from, it just sort of happens (Which isn't really a bad thing). What Marvel does is essentially explain almost all superhumans (aside from tech based, altered humans, people with super serum, other enhancements, aliens, etc. etc...) is that it came from the celestials

No Caption Provided

They saw "potential" in humanity and experimented on them. This created the eternals and the deviants, who essential offshoot into the mutants (like the X-Men and the Brotherhood) and the superhumans who gain such powers due o external stimuli (like the hulk and spider-man). Then you have the inhumans who were created by the Kree and a few others. This does well to explain why "you have every other gene in the genome and then there is this one gene that can give you god-like super powers." It also does well to explain why there are hardly any animals or plants that have these genes, even though the Genome is mostly universal (aside from the special genes here.) This also explains why other aliens don't have it, aside from the skrulls and a few other races. (Though aliens are another matter and some of them just have powers. Especially in the DCU). Mutants come about drastically during the modern age for reasons speculated to be due to the nuclear age.

So essentially, I made this thread to discuss the origins of the genes in this universe, if you wish. I'm proposing this so that more it can be referenced, and indeed perhaps documented in canon, maybe even done as a story arc. This later can come into some significance for future stories, like it has in marvel. Actual ramifications. Perhaps someone finds out and spreads the word, giving people a new perspective and perhaps argument for or against it. Other genes and such can be discussed as well. Whatever anyone can think of.

Maybe you don't think there needs to be any explanation at all (like with DC).Or maybe Purposely left to be enigmatic and mysterious.

Either way, feel free to discuss you're opinions.

The_Commander_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. Very interesting.

The_Commander_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think it'd be quite difficult to map out the DEFINITIVE reason that powers can come about in humans of this universe, considering how many people have their own ideas about how their mutant got their powers. Then again, I haven't seen a ton of RP'ers backstories in which they were simply born with their abilities (excluding various extra-terrestrials). It's an interesting idea, and I'd watch it closely.

Alana_Callahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of on board with not having a unified origin for it and letting people just do their thing. We already have so many nuances and different kinds of mutates (which are generally separated from mutants by lack of X-Gene in the Marvel comics), that at this point it seems a little late to unify a single origin for the Mutant gene.

That being said, I liked the Ultimate Marvel origin for it, where it originated from the government testing on people trying to create super soldiers (IIRC)

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 Feral Nova  Moderator

Two (or is it three?) years into CVnU, I think it's a little late in the game to be figuring out how mutants/X-Gene is created >_> some people even have reasons on how they became mutants/gain their powers (government, rays of energy, etc) that I don't really see a reason why we would need this..?

Doctor_Burns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctor_Burns

@the_commander_ said:

Honestly, I think it'd be quite difficult to map out the DEFINITIVE reason that powers can come about in humans of this universe, considering how many people have their own ideas about how their mutant got their powers. Then again, I haven't seen a ton of RP'ers backstories in which they were simply born with their abilities (excluding various extra-terrestrials). It's an interesting idea, and I'd watch it closely.

@alana_callahan said:

I'm kind of on board with not having a unified origin for it and letting people just do their thing. We already have so many nuances and different kinds of mutates (which are generally separated from mutants by lack of X-Gene in the Marvel comics), that at this point it seems a little late to unify a single origin for the Mutant gene.

That being said, I liked the Ultimate Marvel origin for it, where it originated from the government testing on people trying to create super soldiers (IIRC)

We can't of course, make a unified decision of the origins of every superpower. That would be madness considering all the different origins everyone has. My character is a cyborg for instance. You have other characters who are magical, train and get superpowers, use tech, are AIs, alien, people who are peak humans or have "natural" genes like Ultra sapiens and MAverick's gene mods and all the like. I have no desire to stagnate anyone's creativity. But there are relatively unified races with the X-GEne playing a pretty major role, as well as other racs like the inhumans. These races that people consistently use are what I was thinking an origin could be made for. But by no means does anyone have to make a character with origins traceable to this.

I do too. I was thinking of making a government experiment type character too actually. I also like the synthetic life form thing they did with venom. The whole universe is pretty underrated.

flucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig your direction, taking it back to the origins.

I'm glad somebody can still squeeze a story out of mutants, but maybe we should talk about the fact that it IS a squeeze plot device and decide on the future of this U before we end up wit CVNnNU

Kai_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very interested in this as I have a mutant in Flashfire.

Vocal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctor_burns:

I dig the idea but agree it's a bit to late.

That and I do like some of the ambiguous nature. Sadly the Inhuman stuff didn't take off (Vocal being the only active one I know of) but with em there's no clear source. Nobody knows how that first Inhuman came to be and that's kind of the charm. Same foes for mutants, there's a unknown factor there that makes for the segregation/racism. If it's explained then there's no question or fear of it.

Felix_Faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC's metas owe their powers to the Dominators as far as I am aware.

Uh...that's all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting idea.

Personally, I don't think there should be a definite origin for the powers of mutants. IMO, that's one of the things that makes it really interesting.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maverick_6

I think this is something to think about. Id rather it remain ambiguous. X-Gene is unnatural and I was definitely thinking that this would be pointed out for sure. But to what it actually comes from is just a theory. And then there are those who's powers aren't x or metagene related. And mutates.

We can just leave it up in the air.