critical thinking > remembering facts by a mile

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By lady_liberty

@armistice: Well thank you for the kind words :-) Whenever I get around to taking a real IQ test I'll see if its fairly close.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@mercy_ said:

critical thinking > remembering facts by a mile

Absolutely. That's just a quick and accurate summation of the majority of what's wrong with the American school system.

New_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By New_Grimm

@lady_liberty: Not even surprised

@_strigidae_: I don't get how anybody can look at math and get suped lol

@evander_slade:

Some people will surprise the hell out of you, I know people who did terrible in school yet scored quite high on an IQ test, they just did not care enough to apply themselves.

Knew more than a few in my life. Some people are just more into learning than they are grades.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Mercy_
Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evander_slade: Math can be fun! Until you already understand something, then they give you twenty consecutive problems of the exact same thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Well thank you for the kind words :-) Whenever I get around to taking a real IQ test I'll see if its fairly close.

The Mensa test is probably the most affordable one, it's $18 for the online version and $40 for the live one (current prices). This was the (second one) I took as an adult and it is VERY long and comprehensive.

New_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evander_slade: His redeeming factor is that he's a Whedonite. He's actually the one who turned me onto Buffy lol

And he fixes all my tech when it breaks :D

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evander_slade: Math can be fun! Until you already understand something, then they give you twenty consecutive problems of the exact same thing.

You need to personalize the information and internalize it. Understanding is the first step of learning, not the last :-P

New_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Lucky. Only thing my uncle fixes is a drink lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@evander_slade: His redeeming factor is that he's a Whedonite. He's actually the one who turned me onto Buffy lol

And he fixes all my tech when it breaks :D

I feel his pain...

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Fukuro_Zoku

@lady_liberty: I see what you're saying. But does it have to be twenty all at once of the exact same thing? I mean, I'm fine with revisiting and retaining, but when I'm expected to do it all in one sitting, it just feels tedious and my attention span suffers. Then I suffer.

New_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By New_Grimm

@_strigidae_ said:

You need to personalize the information and internalize it. Understanding is the first step of learning, not the last :-P

tbh I just don't have a mind for it. It's never been my strong point

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By lady_liberty

@_strigidae_: Just as one's body must suffer in productive exercise so too must one's mind in the learning of non-intuitive concepts!

Though I must say, twenty questions seems kinda light. Unless they are really long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: I see what you're saying. But does it have to be twenty all at once of the exact same thing? I mean, I'm fine with revisiting and retaining, but when I'm expected to do it all in one sitting, it just feels tedious and my attention span suffers. Then I suffer.

The more successful math teachers take the time to show how the lesson at hand can be applied. Once you can see the benefits you will find the effort far easier to swallow, repetition without application is a sure fire way to make the majority tune out.

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Fukuro_Zoku

@lady_liberty: It's like those conversations. Sometimes I really wish I had someone like you, so I'd actually be pushed further, and then maybe by now I'd have the mental whateveryoucallit to expand my attention span and by that be pushing myself. But, you know, issues.

Depends on the subject. Or maybe MY PERCEPTION OF WHAT'S A LONG PROBLEM IS OFF! Glare.

Bogeyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Bogeyman

Nice :)