Whats your vine peeve?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By Surkit

@Mercy_: pats on the back

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By _Sojourn_
@.Mistress Redhead.
Right.... My turn.

People being overly sensitive to sarcasm/joking etc I am more than happy to apologise if it hurts you or you think I was being passive aggressive but you making a bitchy comment to another person ABOUT my comment is you doing what you didn't like about me!! ( this is not totally aimed at Gambler ;p)

This will never change, but it will always annoy me. People using the forums for PG cybering. I have noooooo worries if it's in your team thread or you make a thread JUST for it... But if all you want to do on this site is be sexy I can direct you to a few other sites.

DRAMMMAAAAAAA put it on character or take it to pm's but don't make me read it.

I agree about the overly powered characters. Dreadnaught is bad for it, but at least she owns it. One of the main reasons I killed off Surreal (she's now staying dead) is because I hated how overly badass I'd made her, it became a yawn. If you can work it, go for it but make it believable!!

Sorry for the bad grammar.... ;)
I was referring to being over powered to the point that you forget what your own powers are, and then end up looking like a total idiot for not knowing your own character. Vrakmal is definitely overpowered but at the very least she can write with the best, and she has a full knowledge of her own character.
.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By .Ajax.

My biggest pet peeve has to be overpowered characters. Yes Ajax is incredibly strong but he has a huge weakness! I just don`t see the need for a character to have telekinesis, telepathy, 100 ton strength, healing factor, immortality, etc etc. I`ve seen way to many characters like that here on the vine, and honestly that just isn`t fun to rp with and it doesn`t make the character interesting. In my opinion, id only use one of those powers per character, id never give them to one guy...heck telekinesis, telepathy or 100 ton strength alone makes a guy powerful enough.

Sorry for the rant.

Brynhyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Brynhyld

I don't think a character is overpowered unless even the person that created that character can't think of a way to hurt or defeat that character, then it is just silly. I also feel that there needs to be more Ubber powerful villains in comics anyways, because I like the idea of having villains that can own any one hero. So in that case hero's need to team up in order to defeat said villain. What I hate is when they change things after a few encounters, and then the hero's don't need to team up anymore. Thanos, Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, ect.

I think ideally CV should be like this as well. Of course there is always the lesser powered hero's and villains however, as well.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By lady_liberty

Liberty is fairly powerful by the standards of the Vine, and right now she's on a villain team, kinda the heavy hitter of the group.

I do worry that people think she is overpowered, but I always try to sell other characters, and make them look good. The 'always holds back' thing.

Avatar image for curbsideprophet
CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By CurbsideProphet

I don't like it when people don't insult me.

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By 614azrael
My only complaint would be the level of durability, to me having alot of power or powers is fine.(Azra is a demon naturally shes going to chase after more and more power). Its crucial I think that they can be harmed. Shruging off a nuke makes her hard for most to even phase, if I have no concern for the characters health I cant get to dedicated to reading. Rest of character looks enteresting her resiliance to even be scratched is all that would slow interest down for me ^_^ again just feedback not aimed to anger n such
  @Lady_Liberty
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#158  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@Lady_Liberty said:

I do worry that people think she is overpowered, but I always try to sell other characters, and make them look good. The 'always holds back' thing.

I'm always scared I make CPG look way too overpowered lol So I tone her down a bit

CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By CurbsideProphet
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx
Woah woah woah! What the Hell!? You, uh. . .you know your bar is red, right? Nah, I understand. You like the way the color looks on your name. Sometimes I do that too.
614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By 614azrael
I dont think she is her light and sonic abilities are basically caped out and as such seam over powered. If you shot her in the head though its more or less game over ^_^
  @xxCellPhoneGirlxx
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@614azrael: She could form a wall of light to protect her or simply melt the bullet :P

@CurbsideProphet: It's temporary :P

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By lady_liberty

@614azrael: Yeah her durability is meant to be her highest stat. I've modeled her after the DC bricks, so she has powers in the lower end of that scale.

On one hand I see your point, its very hard to really affect her with physical force, energy, and so forth!

But on the other hand, she wouldn't be able to endure the force of her own punches if she didn't have nuke level durability. She wouldn't even be able to fly at her top speeds. So it does make sense, and is almost required. And besides, there are plenty of ways to hurt her that completely bypass her durability.

I try to use it to give people a chance to show off what their character can do. Liberty can survive it, so they can cut loose and show off their martial arts skills, strength, or whatever else they like. People like to be badasses in battles, and my objective is to use Liberty's durability to make the other character look awesome.

I do want to play her as she is, but I know that means I just have to put forward the extra effort to make sure others have fun, and calm any worries people have about me god-modding or no selling them.

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By 614azrael
Clever enough writing though can get around it. Theres plenty counters yes but the risk is prevelant. OP is when someone just cant ever possibly win :)
  @xxCellPhoneGirlxx
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@614azrael: ohhh i'm pretty sure a nuclear bomb would kill her :P

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By lady_liberty

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: She doesn't seem over powered at all to me.

But I admit I haven't seen her in action, only read her bio. So she might be a lot more powerful then I'm seeing.

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By 614azrael
I apsolutely love that bit of logic to her abilities. Near light speed would require durability etc and it does mean people can cut loose. I was just voicing my minor concern on durability will be awesome I think for alot of characters. Someone who's just Hulk however might have less fun. ^_^ just feedback
  @Lady_Liberty
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@Lady_Liberty: The last KOV is a good example of her powers, and I never update my bio :P

@614azrael: Durability is a fun trait.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By lady_liberty

@614azrael: Thankies :-)

And your right, characters who are like the Hulk and only do physical damage, yet not enough physical damage to seriously hurt her are an issue.

If they don't have any chance to win, it might not be fun for either of us.

Its something I've thought about a lot, and I'm not sure how to entirely solve it, but if brute force was there character's 'thing' I would make sure to let them spend a lot of time knocking Liberty through stuff and so on.

I might try adding in another objective, for example maybe they are just trying to keep Liberty busy so she cannot accomplish another goal, or perhaps keeping her distracted so she doesn't detect something important happening with her super senses.

So maybe a 'loss' for her would be realizing she had been fooled into fighting a pointless battle, and flying off in frustrated rage.

Its an additional challenge, you are certainly correct.

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#169  Edited By Belladonna

Ummm I guess mines would be... making a character without further research. But then again it's rp... so umm I guess it's okay... right? idk anymore

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By lady_liberty

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: I'll have to go read it, and catch up on your powers :-)

CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By CurbsideProphet
@Charmix: Research into what, Madame Magic? Like history?
Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Belladonna

@CurbsideProphet: History, powers,ect lol. Let's say you make a character of certainty, and put aspects of a culture into it, yet it's misused. It's frustrating and yet the person who is apart of that culture feels enraged. But then again it's role playing where things are suppose to be made up and what not lol. Same goes for power, cosmic power, physical feats like a variety of martial arts, telekinesis, especially magic. I just hate when I see an acclaimed of their character knowing all forms of martial arts and yet they have no balance into their character. They make this Superman and Batman mix and you have the other rpger like "Ummm...." to the point where there is no selling, because you wonder what can your character do to affect another rpgers character without going against his wishes and selling. Or when you have insanely smart characters but there is nothing behind it, other than their smart which allows them to circumvent your tactics... then whats the story behind this mass intelligence? Did they eat a dictionary up or swallow the internet for breakfast? Lol. Idk I guess adding some realism is best thing to be used for rpg, not to say adding fantasy is a bad thing but there is a line between okay and insanity.

CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By CurbsideProphet
@Charmix: Nope, nope. I totally understand what you're saying. I know what you mean. I'm a sucker for accuracy anyways, and I love history, so I understand what you mean. 
I don't think I have any special unique peeves right now, but maybe in the future.
Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Belladonna

@CurbsideProphet said:

@Charmix: Nope, nope. I totally understand what you're saying. I know what you mean. I'm a sucker for accuracy anyways, and I love history, so I understand what you mean. I don't think I have any special unique peeves right now, but maybe in the future.

Lol thank you for understanding XD lol

yeah it'll take time to develop some but hopefully you don't and never will as well only for you to enjoy your experience here :D lol ♥

CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By CurbsideProphet
@Charmix: Well everybody else has all these peeves, it seemed like fun. I wanted some too.
Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Belladonna

@CurbsideProphet: LOLOLOL my next peeve is the battle forum LOL actually that's my biggest lol,

but noooooo~ don't play follow the leader >.< lol

CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By CurbsideProphet
@Charmix: Ooh ooh, what is it!? Don't make spite threads? Don't make a thread to hear opinions and get pissy when someone disagrees with you? Don't make a thread to settle arguments between you and a friend?
Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Clara Mass

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: KOV is where I started shipping Closure/CPG ;)

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Belladonna

@CurbsideProphet: Spite threads, fanboyism, and just irrelevant stuff that happens there, plus debates turn personal lol

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By lady_liberty

@Charmix: @CurbsideProphet: I love the battle forum. Trolls and all, its awesome. CV probably has the best, most objective, and most knowledgeable battle section on the internet.

Its not perfect, but its head and shoulders above anywhere else in my own personal opinion! Its actually where I spent most of my time until this last week.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@Clara Mass said:

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: KOV is where I started shipping Closure/CPG ;)

OUR BATTLE WAS SO INTENSE <3

Who won it I forgot? Or did we both win that round? lol

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Belladonna

@Lady_Liberty: LOLOL I love it too yet I kinda hate it. hahah it's funny reading up things when debates go on, especially when fan boys come up with crazy things to try and fault the other.

I thought I recognized you from there :3 hahah, how's this forum treating you? lol♥ and welcomeee to rpg lol

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Clara Mass

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: It was intense lol

We both won that round and that's how amaze balls the fight was

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@Clara Mass: It felt like a moment between Angel and Buffy fighting :P

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By lady_liberty

@Charmix: Yeah, pretty much 95% of my posts are from the battles forum, so I'm not surprised you've seen me there hehe.

And yeah, it gets wild in there sometimes. Some stuff can get under my skin, but hey, its well worth it.

The RPG section is treating me pretty well! I got started here a while back, and had just started working on my character when I had a serious RL issue and wasn't able to get online, but people have welcomed my unknown behind back with open internet arms ;-)

I've even taken a little break from the Battles section to focus on getting going here.

The Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By The Hunter

Hmmm.....

Fighting skills..... hands down.

If your character's an amazing ass kicker, then back it the f#ck up.  Yes, that means that you'll most likely have to do your research.  If you're going to pull off a move, then please..... know what the f#ck you're doing - or at least think about it.  Granted, I'm sure everyone on here isn't a world class cage fighter.  For that matter, I guess it's pretty safe to say that most of them don't know what it's like to even be in a real fight.

That's OK.  I don't think that you need the real life scars to prove that you know about hand-to-hand.  Hell, I'm not even saying that you even have to put in years of legitimate training to be able to write a killer post.  Then again, it probably wouldn't hurt....

Anyway..... Don't be afraid to do your homework.  Look up the different styles that are out there.  Whether it's Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Krav Maga, Hap Ki Do, Jujitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman wrestling, freestyle wrestling, Judo, etc.....  When you actually take a look at these fighting styles and more, I'm sure that you'll be able to find a particular style or a certain combination of styles which really suits your character's abilities and they're attitude.

One great way to see these different styles in action is to watch MMA events (UFC, Strikeforce, etc.).  Some fighters go out there and rely more on boxing, kickboxing, or other various forms regarding striking.  They're more than likely going to be the ones to get a nice knockout.  There there are the guys who prefer grappling.  These are the guys who like to get their hands on their opponent, take them down to the ground, then proceed to either pound the $hit out of their opponent's face or to make them tap via submission.  Those are the guys who prefer styles like wrestling, jujitsu, judo, etc.

Even if you don't want your character to fight like a cage fighter, seeing the different styles interact can help give you a picture of what you want for your character.  That's where we go back to research.  Look up the concept and philosophy behind different styles.  Realize the cause and effect of your moves.  For example, I twist his arm like THIS, so it damages THIS PART of his arm and THIS happens.

However, try to make it effective.  Let's be honest, a lot of moves that might "look cool" are absolute horse $hit.  In a real-life situation, they would never work - let alone cause any real damage.  Don't be afraid to somewhat "act out" your moves.  Go ahead and try some stuff out (without actually killing anyone).  Go through the motions and think to yourself, "Would this work?"

So yeah, get out there and expand your horizons.  Get educated on kicking ass.  Have fun.  Piss excellence.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#187  Edited By Mercy_

I always YouTube fighting videos and stuff when I'm writing posts. Occasionally will talk to my cousin (ex-Army) if I need somebody described as simply as possible.

Seriously, though, research is not incredibly difficult whether you're doing it to look up how to accurately write a move or double-checking what a good reaction to one would be.

Well said BTW.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#188  Edited By Aiden Cross

people taking things too seriously, it's for fun, not a job.

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Belladonna

@The Hunter said:

Hmmm..... Fighting skills..... hands down. If your character's an amazing ass kicker, then back it the f#ck up. Yes, that means that you'll most likely have to do your research. If you're going to pull off a move, then please..... know what the f#ck you're doing - or at least think about it. Granted, I'm sure everyone on here isn't a world class cage fighter. For that matter, I guess it's pretty safe to say that most of them don't know what it's like to even be in a real fight. That's OK. I don't think that you need the real life scars to prove that you know about hand-to-hand. Hell, I'm not even saying that you even have to put in years of legitimate training to be able to write a killer post. Then again, it probably wouldn't hurt.... Anyway..... Don't be afraid to do your homework. Look up the different styles that are out there. Whether it's Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Krav Maga, Hap Ki Do, Jujitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman wrestling, freestyle wrestling, Judo, etc..... When you actually take a look at these fighting styles and more, I'm sure that you'll be able to find a particular style or a certain combination of styles which really suits your character's abilities and they're attitude. One great way to see these different styles in action is to watch MMA events (UFC, Strikeforce, etc.). Some fighters go out there and rely more on boxing, kickboxing, or other various forms regarding striking. They're more than likely going to be the ones to get a nice knockout. There there are the guys who prefer grappling. These are the guys who like to get their hands on their opponent, take them down to the ground, then proceed to either pound the $hit out of their opponent's face or to make them tap via submission. Those are the guys who prefer styles like wrestling, jujitsu, judo, etc. Even if you don't want your character to fight like a cage fighter, seeing the different styles interact can help give you a picture of what you want for your character. That's where we go back to research. Look up the concept and philosophy behind different styles. Realize the cause and effect of your moves. For example, I twist his arm like THIS, so it damages THIS PART of his arm and THIS happens. However, try to make it effective. Let's be honest, a lot of moves that might "look cool" are absolute horse $hit. In a real-life situation, they would never work - let alone cause any real damage. Don't be afraid to somewhat "act out" your moves. Go ahead and try some stuff out (without actually killing anyone). Go through the motions and think to yourself, "Would this work?" So yeah, get out there and expand your horizons. Get educated on kicking ass. Have fun. Piss excellence.

omfg this. this this this. I would say the same for magic but no one here in real life does work with the craft, but still description is most needed! Plus no one misuses it that I know of as of now.

Anyways your brilliant, Hunter♥! So RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH people.

The Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By The Hunter
@Mercy_:  lol, Youtube's good stuff.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Surkit

Writing fighting never really interested me because for the most part I just know how to box and generally swing off. Might give that a shot, watching some Kung Fu vids and what not while I write.

Vangelis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Vangelis

@Charmix: @The Hunter: I think research makes it even better writing especially for magic and fighting. The topics are so broad bringing it down to specifics gives it a nice flair you can tweak to fit your character.

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Belladonna

@Aiden Cross: shadddup♥ pretty boy

@Surkit: Kung Fu is so typical expand a little more ;)

The Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By The Hunter
@Charmix said:

omfg this. this this this. I would say the same for magic but no one here in real life does work with the craft, but still description is most needed! Plus no one misuses it that I know of as of now.
EXACTLY.  It definitely helps to actually look into the philosophies and concepts behind the supernatural.  As writers, it helps people understand what exactly it is that they're character is doing.  That makes it easier for them to explain it clearly and it makes it that much more believable/legitimate to the reader.

@Charmix said:

Anyways your brilliant, Hunter♥! 
I know.  :-P

Thank you.
Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Westlife
@The Hunter: I think you're my friend.
Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Surkit

@Charmix: How so?

Avatar image for nakamura_empire
Nakamura_Empire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Nakamura_Empire

@Vangelis: Correction baby doll♥

@The Hunter: Ugh I love you so much♥, which is why I had to revamp the magic sphere in the Vine.

Lol cocky fellow. ;p

The Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By The Hunter
@Vangelis said:

@Charmix: @The Hunter: I think research makes it even better writing especially for magic and fighting. The topics are so broad bringing it down to specifics gives it a nice flair you can tweak to fit your character.

Amen to that.

@Surkit said:

Writing fighting never really interested me because for the most part I just know how to box and generally swing off. Might give that a shot, watching some Kung Fu vids and what not while I write.

What it comes down to is this.....  Do you want your character to be primarily a striker (punching, kicking, etc.) or a grappler (throws, takedowns, submissions, etc.)?  Keep in mind, your character can use both just fine; but when your character is in an actual fight, do you think they would rely more on striking or grappling to save their life?
The Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By The Hunter
@Westlife said:
@The Hunter: I think you're my friend.
Cool.

@Nakamura_Empire said:

@The Hunter: Ugh I love you so much♥, which is why I had to revamp the magic sphere in the Vine.

Lol cocky fellow. ;p

Awww....  Hey, no one's perfect. ;-)
Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Surkit

@The Hunter: Mixed really, if it came down to life or death? Probably a grappler