Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Mercy_

@Lady_Liberty said:

@Mercy_: I use my super-speed to dodge everything and laugh at your pathetic attack.

Uses her telekinesis to dismember limb by limb

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By lady_liberty

@Mercy_: Something something something and evades! 'Hahahaha!'

I actually had this happen to me just recently. Liberty just wasn't up to landing even one hit for a reasonably long battle I guess ;-)

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Clara Mass

@Gambler:

But I think a guy needs to win this year >.<

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Clara Mass said:

But I think a guy needs to win this year >.<

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Clara Mass

@Gambler:

hahaha

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Clara Mass said:

@Gambler:

hahaha

;D

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Goat themed evil.

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Clara Mass

@Gambler :

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Fuchsia_Nightingale:

Avatar image for sentinels_shield
Sentinels_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Sentinels_Shield

@Gambler said:

@Clara Mass: Ha! I meant female characters, not the operator behind them :P

@Lady_Liberty said:

*Gets drunk and throws up everywhere.*

ROFL

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Clara Mass

I want some more vulnerability on the vine. Everyone's too bad ass in my opinion xD

We need emotion!

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Inner_Demon:

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Clara Mass: Amelia is great for that.

@Fuchsia_Nightingale: Totally evil. He's oppressing the heck out of that stump. ;)

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Inner_Demon: Sheep go to heaven, Goats....

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

Goat themed evil.

Greatest

Off

All

Time

I'm already here chere

@Clara Mass said:

@Gambler :

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler: Jean luc cornered the goat market ?

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Clara Mass

@Gambler:

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By _Zombie_

@Inner_Demon said:

@Clara Mass: Amelia is great for that.

@Fuchsia_Nightingale: Totally evil. He's oppressing the heck out of that stump. ;)

Tell the truth, Longshot/AH does it better. I'm hit-and-miss.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

@Gambler: Jean luc cornered the goat market ?

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

_Quickster_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By _Quickster_
@Lady_Liberty said:

I would like to see story structure fit the nature of the story better. That would allow more RP's to be completed, and a more interesting character evolution.

What the heck do I mean?!?!

Many of the big RP's that I have observed here are the kind where an OOC gets posted, and a IC gets posted and then everyone writes fairly long posts. For some kinds of stories that is awesome and fits perfectly. But for some kinds of stories its not perfect.

See longer isn't always better, and that's not just my opinion its a simple fact of storytelling. Some major writers set themselves mandatory word reductions. So after the rough draft they do a word count, and remove a minimum of 10% of the words. Entire careers have been built on a faster, more energetic style.

And it fits some kinds of stories better then others, for example action scenes can often be improved by using multiple very short sentences to communicate the speed and pressure of the event. Not all action scenes, and certainly not all the time, my point is that its a technique that goes entirely unused here.

There are secondary structural problems. All stories, whether you mean to or not, or want to or not will follow a 'scene-sequel' model. Period. There's no other option, if your writing your writing scenes and sequels. Stuff happens (scene) people react (sequel). That's how everything happens in all stories that make any sense, because that's how humans experience life.

The length and depth of the scene-sequel is how a story is paced, and so forth. There's a lot of art to this, and its probably the most advanced part to writing. The issue is not all scenes should be five paragraphs, and certainly not all sequels. Let me give an example.

Lets say the Hulk and Batman are fighting, and its an RP here on Comic Vine. So the Hulk starts the fight, and there's a scene (action) describing how he rips concrete chunks from the ground and hurls them at the dark knight while bellowing in rage. Now the Batman RPer responds, but because this is a major RP he feels compelled to write a post that's around 750-1,000 words.

So first is his sequel (reaction) to the Hulks attack. He's gotta really stretch this out, majorly long. So he has to toss in some stuff about how his parents are dead, and how angry he is about criminals, and how his whole life is messed up and how his parents are dead, and his training, and his last adventure, plus his reaction to the Hulks attack, and also his parents are dead. (His parents are dead, by the way.)

So then he responds with his scene (action) where he evades the attack and throws some electro-batarangs at Hulk. He has to stretch this one out too, so instead of a short and terse moment of intense action its a two hundred word description of his equipment, and a lecture on martial arts, plus then he just throws the freaking batarang already. (His parents are dead.)

Then! Hulk replies. He's got the same problem as Batman, he's gotta write a really long post about something that is better suited for a short post. So we get lots of descriptions about how angry he is, and.. he's really angry. He's really freaking angry. (He's mad, by the way) Then he does something that's probably fairly simple but along the way he has to describe the coffee shop across the street and the exact shade of green of his toenails because he has to boost his word count.

Now my point here isn't that long posts are bad, or that long posts in battles are bad! Neither is true, and there are examples both here on the vine of very interesting long battle posts, as well as real life books with very long actions scenes that are amazing in quality.

My point is that always using the same structure for everything even when it isn't needed is bad. Really long posts scare off newbies, and cause a lot of people to drop RP's they are in because they don't feel like typing another novel every couple days.

They also can restrict character growth, because by the nature of long posts you get longer scenes and sequels.. and thus FEWER scenes and sequels. Most character interaction requires short scenes and sequels. Bob says something, Jane hears him, reacts, and says something back.

Seriously, go look at the major RP's and see how many lines of dialog to lines of everything else you have. I'd bet about 40 words per five hundred are dialog. While that's fine for certain types of events its not fine for every major event in the Vine universe. Hard to have some kinds of character development with that kind of ratio. Some types of RP are best with the long posts, some are best with short posts, and some are best with medium length posts.

Further more it scares off newbies. They look at those post-novels and go... dang... I don't want to have to do that to be part of this universe. Its intimidating to them. It creates a high barrier for entry, and it also is the cause of many RP's dying out. People just don't feel like the payoff is worth the effort.

Lastly, and this is something I doubt anyone will ever say out of fear of being rude. Its boring. Not all the time, some times its amazing, but obviously when the wrong technique is used over and over and over and over and over and over for a really long long long long long long long time people get... bored. And they stop reading, no matter how nice or well intentioned, or interested they might be.

So I would like to see the tradition of long posts in all major RPs (and the idea that all RP's are 'serious' or good unless the posts are long) to die and be replaced with the use of judgement in post length. Some posts DO need to be long. Some need to be short. Sometimes there must be a long post, then a short post, then another short post then a hugely long novel of a post. But it shouldn't always be the same every time.

Scene and sequel length should be variable based on the needs of the post, and I'd like to see a move in that direction.

@Icarusflies

See?

Also, if she's giving opinions, and I'm learning and doing homework, does that men I get free opinions?

Ishin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ishin

I'd actually like to see more psychologically complex characters.

_Quickster_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By _Quickster_

Okay, so I've been reading this, and I think what I'm seeing here can all be summed up with one sentence. One sentence that I know we all already know. Everybody wants to see more Quickster!

Nah, I'm kidding. I love you people. Really, I do. You're awesome, and you're great.

I wanna see something awesome happen.

Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Ethan Starks

What quickster quoted/ LL said is something I plan to support entirely.

Serinah_Pao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By Serinah_Pao

@Ethan Starks:

I do as well... I can't tell you how many times I have been interested in jumping into a story, or have been in a story already and felt like I had to bow out, because people think that their posts have to be a certain length so they stretch them out, and they BS an entire paragraph sometimes more into their post, that was not needed, just to keep face. It feels forced, which means it will most likely feel faked, which for me personally, means boring.

My posts are usually 3 to 5 paragraphs long, for battle threads. But if I have to write a 1 or 2 paragraph post I will, or a 7 or 8 paragraph post for that matter, it all depends.

Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ethan Starks

Honestly post length is what sometimes makes rpging feel like a chore for me. I've seen rpg worthy scenes done in threads and wondered why it wasn't always like that.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Ethan Starks said:

Honestly post length is what sometimes makes rpging feel like a chore for me. I've seen rpg worthy scenes done in threads and wondered why it wasn't always like that.

Honestly the in team rpg we did where we tracked down and took on Ethan was one the funnest rp I've done on the Vine. It was fast paced and the posts were short and exciting. In fact most of the time I find myself more interested in the Team mini rpgs then the main feature rpgs.

On the flip side, I've seen users saying that one of their pet peeves are when characters have unexplained wealth or other unexplained aspects of their character or power. etc, but its often time in these long posts that you find out about such things. Just playing devils advocate on this last part.

Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ethan Starks

In the past when the site was less populated the main feature rpgs were completed easily. I think now that there are at least 50+ rpers on this site that the format should change once again.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By Rumble Man

@Fuchsia_Nightingale: There are Goat demons such as Baphomet and Ram demons such as Baal

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#81  Edited By Kurrent

I'd like to see myself making more quality RPG's

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Kurrent said:

I'd like to see myself making more quality RPG's

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#83  Edited By EdwardWindsor

More villains, villain teams and generally more evil people

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#84  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Impero

I'd actually like to see more psychologically complex characters.

YES!!!! I love smarty pants characters
Rewind_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Rewind_

@_Sojourn_: more of this guy

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Rewind_

@_Sojourn_: more of this guy

How cute
Sicarius_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Sicarius_

@_Sojourn_: your welcome wink wink

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Sicarius_ Nothing feels better than feeling the love.