• 136 results
Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: What U would You Choose? (71 votes)

Vine Prime (original) 46%
Vine New (Current) 54%

I've seen people talking about prime since it crashed. Let's see what the actual consensus is and either build it back or lay it to rest and keep making New U moves. If you came into read this come on, one click won't kill you.

When you vote it's optional but encouraged to put down why you made your choice

#1 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

Well considering I never RPGed in Prime its pretty obvious what my opinion would be.

#2 Edited by FALLENprophet (6557 posts) - - Show Bio

When CVnU started I thought people said it wasn't going to take place of VinePrime and was simply going to be another place a new beginning. Which is cool, I missed my chance and never got into. Well, I believe if we brought back VinePrime it would give two options at first and then those two options would change drastically and you would have two separate universes and just more options to Rpg. Which I think is great.

#3 Posted by Valerie_Huntington (2810 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no difference I don't understand what everyone is talking about.

#4 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

When CVnU started I thought people said it wasn't going to take place of VinePrime and was simply going to be another place a new beginning. Which is cool, I missed my chance and never got into. Well, I believe if we brought back VinePrime it would give two options at first and then those two options would change drastically and you would have two separate universes and just more options to Rpg. Which I think is great.

Well saiid man. Diversity would only help the situation, imo it's the backbone of rpg in general.

I think what people are saying is after going through the whole process of a New U, it still led to some stagnation. It brings up the question of whether there was a point to it, whether prime was the problem or if this place just loses it's creativity in mass sometimes.

Far as the differences theres a lot, differently stories, characters, etc. The only difference there isn't, is the fact it's the same people we already know. Even then

@pyrogram said:

Well considering I never RPGed in Prime its pretty obvious what my opinion would be.

it's still not 100% similar

#5 Posted by AmazingAngel (4120 posts) - - Show Bio

I only RP'd in prime once by mistake so I guess NU, IDK I don't really have anything to add.

#6 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit: Would a dual universe even work? That would be hard to like...figure out would it not?

#7 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep them both

#8 Posted by Clara Mass (7988 posts) - - Show Bio

I think nU did it's job and got people writing again >.>

I miss prime though *says a prayer

#9 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

#10 Posted by MasterofChaos (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't make a big difference to me. I figure we do what we want anyway, for the most part (at least for me). But I'm going new, because there's more opp for fresh destruction and stuff.

#11 Edited by FALLENprophet (6557 posts) - - Show Bio

It don't think this thread was made to put us against each other. It's just asking whether we should bring back Prime and honestly if you want to do that post. I honestly think all it needs is two heroes a neutral and two villains posting. I am unable to post all the time at the moment but will when I can.

#12 Posted by _Wolf_Spider_ (824 posts) - - Show Bio

CVnU got people active for like a couple months, then crashed like Prime. I would honestly rather be in prime.

#13 Edited by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

If I got the distinction right, and I'm correct in actually the universes and differences, I did something once in the prime. The vine new, of course. Kinda like AA. Except not by mistake.

#14 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: If they both were used an equal amount, maybe. Fact is one will eventually fade out the other.

People are still talking about Prime, might as well gauge how bad they want it back.

#15 Edited by MasterofChaos (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit said:

@pyrogram: If they both were used an equal amount, maybe. Fact is one will eventually fade out the other.

People are still talking about Prime, might as well gauge how bad they want it back.

Competitive exclusion principle.

#16 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

Competitive exclusion principle.

He said lighting his pipe

(Exactly)

#17 Posted by Lumen_ (266 posts) - - Show Bio

What we can't have both?

#18 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@lumen_ said:

What we can't have both?

we should

#19 Posted by _Zombie_ (10383 posts) - - Show Bio

Prime. Probably just me, but all of my attempts to get into nU just haven't clicked like writing in Prime did.

#20 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

If people wanna rp in Prime they can and it doesnt mean they cant also rp in the CVnU. Never did. This is a regurgitated topic simply formatted differently (it has a poll lol). So my write in option is Both. There is no need for it to be exclusively one or other. All Prime needs is one cool rp idea, team, location, jump start in activity, and there you go :)

#21 Edited by _Cain_ (23666 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know, I used to be VIOLENTLY against the idea of a NU, but as time set on I began to realize something. There really isn't a ton of a freaking difference, it's the same type of overused stories that we had in vine prime. Countries being taken over, random acts of terrorism and violence by villains, dozens of Illuminati Wannabes, and OH MY GOD THE REGISTRATION ACT!!!!11!1!!

All of this is the same stuff prime had, which only goes to show that we are still the same writers. Completely fine with that, and this brings me to Alex's point up there. Prime has had some attempts to revive it, but they all fail instantly due to the fact their methods are wrong, they all attempt to have one massive RPG trying to cram in as many people into it as humanly possibly, which is kinda like those big charity songs they release every decade whenever there's an earthquake or a hurricane. It just doesn't work. If you want to revive it, the easiest way to do it is pretty fast. Just act like it was never gone in the first place and start your normal routines there. Write some battles, do some basic interactions, blow sh*t up, screw in public places, eat a bagel etc.

If this were to work and prime is revived, then it would be very possible to have TWO universes, NU wouldn't die because people have settled in so much that PRIME would become a new universe. Some would jump aboard to get an uncontrolled world, some will stay behind in the NU and continue to write stories there, and some will do both. Overall, the ONLY thing bringing back prime can do for the vine is simply revitalize it, because let's face it here, the only thing we've done since this January is LOSE writers, and we gained like...Two.

And just on a side note, I think if this were to occur with a two universe system, we should no longer keep NU in it's own separate continuity, just in case some day someone wanted to do a crossover, or have a Ultimate U character or something enter one of the universes. I dunno, it sounds kinda stupid But I'm just throwing it out there

#22 Posted by Arquitenens (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

If people wanna rp in Prime they can and it doesnt mean they cant also rp in the CVnU. Never did. This is a regurgitated topic simply formatted differently (it has a poll lol). So my write in option is Both. There is no need for it to be exclusively one or other. All Prime needs is one cool rp idea, team, location, jump start in activity, and there you go :)

I know exactly what's needed to get it started!

#23 Edited by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowknight666: +1 post. I use to be against the whole "crossover reality" thing but looking back I cant help but feel it did more harm then good. And I completely agree with,

"Just act like it was never gone in the first place and start your normal routines there. Write some battles, do some basic interactions, blow sh*t up, screw in public places, eat a bagel etc"

#24 Posted by SurelockeHomes (2195 posts) - - Show Bio

I have thoughts on the matter, but some shall not be said, because I'd start an argument. So, safe parts.

"Reviving prime," as a mindset, I find counter-productive. Because as stated, a big event with a ton of people together can serve as a deterrent. Sometimes it seems centred around a few people and others feel as if they have nothing to invest. "What do I have to do with any of this?" That's what I got from the last attempt. It's about getting people involved in what they want to do, not just throwing out something huge and saying "EVERYBODY POST!"

I was watching Soul Surfer the other day. And it was the competition and the one girl was ahead, and the rest were scrambling to get whatever they could, except the main girl. She took two big waves, the ones that counted. Even though she ran out of time.

I was one of those ones that didn't care for revival, or splitting, or all of that. It's a free time activity. No need to focus on in crowds, who can do what where. Play what makes you happy with who makes you happy.

#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

We can barely get cohesive stories in CVnU, I don't see splitting the attention of the 'pushers' ending well.

#26 Edited by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_:

Put together the fact everybody says the U's are the same and the fact that Nu still shined for a while...what was the deciding difference that gave it that kick up?

We called it new ;) Bringing Prime back would be...have a kinda retro effect

#27 Edited by Calithiel_Manaburn (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I RP in nU simply because that's where all the action is right now. Either option for me is essentially a fresh start, since it's been far too long since my last RPG in prime to even matter there. I honestly don't care much what universe it's in, I RPG for the enjoyment of making a story. I can figure out a way to make it work, no matter what world you hand me.

#28 Edited by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

I RP in nU simply because that's where all the action is right now. Either option for me is essentially a fresh start, since it's been far too long since my last RPG in prime to even matter there. I honestly don't care much what universe it's in, I RPG for the enjoyment of making a story. I can figure out a way to make it work, no matter what world you hand me.

haha exhibit A

#29 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit: People'll argue that Prime doesn't need to be brought back (in that it's always been there), but being realistic, it needs a lot of time and love put into it to shine.

The decision between staying with Prime and joining CVnU was a really easy one for me, as are the differences between them. Things had become stagnant, painfully so, not only with my characters, but with the entire universe. The lands arms race and powers arms race killed so much of it, as did the empire arms race. There got to a point where there was so much that I was considering non-canon in my head, just because of how absurd or ridiculous it was, that it got a bit crazy.

#30 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

This just got more confusing.

#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

How so?

#32 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: I see you where you're coming from. I think if it were to be done though keeping every wide canon would be too much too, but maybe bring back the Prime with main focal points, big events that couln't or shouldn't be over looked. Anything that was widely agreed at the time as undermining or godmodding just gets erased. Doing that would help get the place to a workable level with room to grow but still respecting the prime canon for it's best moments, and forgetting the worst

#33 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

That'd piss off a few people but oh well. If you godmodded and didn't get called then for it then call it overdue Karma

#34 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit said:

@mercy_: I see you where you're coming from. I think if it were to be done though keeping every wide canon would be too much too, but maybe bring back the Prime with main focal points, big events that couln't or shouldn't be over looked. Anything that was widely agreed at the time as undermining or godmodding just gets erased. Doing that would help get the place to a workable level with room to grow but still respecting the prime canon for it's best moments, and forgetting the worst

So...basically a reboot? :P

I don't think it's a bad idea, I just have absolutely no desire to put any effort into it, if I'm going to be completely honest. Because it wasn't just the stories and the playing field that had stagnated, it was (my) characters. I put my time and effort into helping formulate CVnU and I put my time and effort into playing in that universe. I have no desire to split or switch my focus into another universe and unless several key players do so, I won't be in the foreseeable future, either.

#35 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a difference with people right? What if they just let people port characters over the U, but the history of big things was still like the new one?

#36 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@surkit said:

So...basically a reboot? :P

I don't think it's a bad idea, I just have absolutely no desire to put any effort into it, if I'm going to be completely honest. Because it wasn't just the stories and the playing field that had stagnated, it was (my) characters. I put my time and effort into helping formulate CVnU and I put my time and effort into playing in that universe. I have no desire to split or switch my focus into another universe and unless several key players do so, I won't be in the foreseeable future, either.

A genuine reboot though. Nu honestly is a separate place on it's own with small similarities, to me only the writers and their style are the same but that's me.

gotchu, your invested

#37 Edited by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a difference with people right? What if they just let people port characters over the U, but the history of big things was still like the new one?

Said that from the rip lol

#38 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Myrmidon_ (5080 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit: Personally if the Nu goes, I will probably either leave RPGing, or go a lot less active...or...funnily enough become more active beacuse its a whole new place and with my experiences I could do more with a fresh start. But realistically I would probably become inactive or just less than I am now. Beacuse I never RPed in the Prime universe.

#40 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean switch characters from one universe to the other? It's against the rules.

@surkit said:

A genuine reboot though.

There's a myriad of reasons we didn't go that route with CVnU and the first and foremost is that you would need the permission of literally everybody to enact a change like that.

#41 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

30 votes impresses me. I didnt think we had that many active users.

#42 Edited by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh. Huh. Never mind then.

#43 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha right?

#44 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: Not really though, for the fact that was then and this is now. Then, people were fighting the Nu and losing their Prime canon, now it's been done , it happened, it's over. All you'd have to do now is sticky a thread listing what major events went down and passed,. Reading that you'd think "You still need ti ask permission"

Thing is, not if we call the time period a sort of golden age and make the rebooted prime a silver age, where both Prime originals can exist as well as a lot of room to leave behind the old character you used and bring over an nU ones or even make a new one but within prime canon. Guys like @pyrogram could see the reboot experience with fresh eyes because he wasnt around for the first one, might get more creativity from it.

#45 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

def expected like...7

#46 Posted by Connoisseur (6571 posts) - - Show Bio

I'ma be real and say that I don't ever intend to go back to Prime. I said it when we were setting up CVnU, and I still feel that way. I don't get what all the fuss about Prime is about though, everyone who wants to RPG in Prime can do that right now if they really wanted to. CVnU didn't erase Prime's existence, everyone else just jumped over to CVnU. If there were ten users who wanted RPG in Prime, they could, nobody's stopping them. If Prime ever does come back, and CVnU dies, I'll probably drop RP'ing here because I have no desire to get back into Prime.

#47 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, back to confusion.

#48 Edited by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit said:

@quintus_knightfall said:

def expected like...7

Yeah I was thinking maybe 10 or 12. 30's enough to have an active nU, Prime, and Alternate universe.

#49 Posted by Surkit (11283 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit said:

@quintus_knightfall said:

def expected like...7

Yeah I was thinking maybe 10 or 12. 30's enough to have an active nU, Prime, and Alternate universe.

For real.

#50 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit said:

@mercy_: Not really though, for the fact that was then and this is now. Then, people were fighting the Nu and losing their Prime canon, now it's been done , it happened, it's over. All you'd have to do now is sticky a thread listing what major events went down and passed,. Reading that you'd think "You still need ti ask permission"

Thing is, not if we call the time period a sort of golden age and make the rebooted prime a silver age, where both Prime originals can exist as well as a lot of room to leave behind the old character you used and bring over an nU ones or even make a new one but within prime canon. Guys like @pyrogram could see the reboot experience with fresh eyes because he wasnt around for the first one, might get more creativity from it.

Sure you would. If you're rebooting a universe, your choices would either be to A. Change canon around, thus effecting people's characters without their permission or B. create a new universe, which is exactly why CVnU was created - to avoid that. You would absolutely need everybody on board. You think the hate was bad for the people behind the creation and support of CVnU? This is us doing something that doesn't even effect others' canon. Try changing their canon around and see what the reaction you get is.

There's no crossover allowed between CVnU and Vine Prime, it's stated in the CVnU rules. Aside from that, I don't see what the difference is between 'golden age' and 'silver age' and 'pre-reboot' and 'post reboot'. You are talking about the time before and the time after, right? It's still changing canon and thus changing characters.

It's a cool idea, don't get me wrong and it seems that what you're aiming for is a soft reboot - change some things, but not everything. I see a couple problems with that, including the problems pointed out above.