This topic is locked from further discussion.

#801 Posted by Connoisseur (6579 posts) - - Show Bio

If not for LL, I would have never incorporated MMA and theoretically proposed science into anything I do here. I owe the bulk of Andres' design to her.

#802 Edited by Tranquil (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth is, I am bored.

#803 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: I seldom proof read at all. Sad, I know lol

#804 Posted by _Glacier_ (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth is I absolutely need to interact as new Dell.

#805 Posted by Armistice (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil said:

Truth is, I am bored.

Constant issue on here with the recent level of activity.

@armistice: I seldom proof read at all. Sad, I know lol

I wouldn't call it sad, you try to fit a lot of detail into each post and that takes time, but I can see how taking that long could get frustrating on your end. Makes keeping up with the times when everyone hits you up at once difficult as you see yourself falling behind and feeling rushed to an extent.

Personally I purposely try to limit myself into how much time I'm allowed to make a post as to make the reaction feel spontaneous and not planned. I usually avoid reading a post until I am ready to respond to it and begin typing the response right after doing so. It goes back to my offline RPG background where you have to react in real time, taking hours or days to craft a response just feels disingenuous to me even if it is well accepted in this medium.

95% of my posts are done in under 30 min while watching TV, even the ten paragraph Shadow Profile on Quintus took less than two hours (Note: I type fast)

#806 Edited by Pyrogram (36660 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: Two hours on a post O_O That's insane. The longest a post has taken me (Once I sit down and write) is about 30 minutes. That's the maximum. It just takes me forever to get round to doing it sometimes, but I'd lose interest after 1 hour lol

#807 Posted by Armistice (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@armistice: Two hours on a post O_O That's insane. The longest a post has taken me (Once I sit down and write) is about 30 minutes. That's the maximum. It just takes me forever to get round to doing it sometimes, but I'd lose interest after 1 hour lol

He does bicker with Mercy even more than I do, adds to how long it takes to actually make a post....

#808 Posted by _Cain_ (23666 posts) - - Show Bio

The truth is that I criticize and bitch way more then I actually get stuff done

#809 Posted by Armistice (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

@_cain_ said:

The truth is that I criticize and bitch way more then I actually get stuff done

You could say that about half the Vine TBH

#810 Edited by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio

I get distracted WAY too easily when I write my posts. One paragraph may be my best and then another looks rushed. Some posts are rushed, others aren't. Ah the life of being a procrastinator. xD

#811 Posted by Tranquil (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Two hours? Heh. It takes me that long to write an average post.

#812 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio

For KoV VII, I wrote all but one post on my ipad cause I was lazy to get out my laptop. And since then I continue to write posts on my ipad with the exception of maybe once or twice.

#813 Posted by _Animus_ (2477 posts) - - Show Bio

truth is on a 1 to 10 scale I purposely put out a 5 on the reg.

#814 Edited by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

The truth is I hate when magic isn't operated or shown right. I get that people are inspired by fiction and whatever but some treat it as a religious working too. Basically its kinda disrespectful not to acknowledge it. Like completely condemning black magic= Voodoo with that to necromancers ect. Necromancy is basically another form of mediumship if not the same.

I'm not saying I don't do this, I do, given my past reputation. But now I try to operate on a manner that seems most convincing if it could be done, not saying it could, but for better word if I could do them with exaggeration. Teleportation, force field, energy blast, ect. isn't possible, not that I know of. But manipulating energy with visualization and thought to cast spells can be done. Voodoo would be a most potent example. Intricate rituals that has brought desired results can be attested for as working. Magic is too diverse and also over powered, maybe I'm just trying to make it simple, when really its not. In real life you can't expect a street fighter to engage a magic user who can automatically teleport or blast them with huge mystical energy, can you? No, that magic user will be presented as either deciding to fight back with the same capabilities as the street fighter or non at all. But with a controlled skilled of magic you can use the likes of telekinesis or other numerous psychic resources or attempt to draw power to cast a spell, one that works in a more believable stage such as creating fire or whatever. Basically I'm just trying to down play the magic and make it more less difficult to tackle on, but still acknowledging its danger. Dues ex machina wouldn't be fun for one going against it.

This isn't just on Vine but in books as well lol.

Small pet peeve, but I found out it offended those religious devotees because it brought a bad light upon them...

sorry for the rant. hopefully it make sense.

#815 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is Batman beat Felix Faust so there :P

#816 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio

If I really try to focus. I could write a good post in half an hour tops.

#817 Posted by Pyrogram (36660 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee: One of these days I'm have to PM you asking for some help writing magic characters :O

#818 Posted by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: Extremely reasonable. Felix Faust is in no shape to even compare himself to Batman or even contend, I don't know why Wonder Woman just never decided to snap his neck with ease.

#819 Posted by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: <3 I'm always available but its not hard. Researching helps a major ton, plus find shows that you like with these characteristics. I know the show Supernatural had a good one going for them with the witches and its presentation of their power (rituals to affect harm, ect. And not the standard teleporting to their victims to kill them with something outrageous), but that show went down hill in later seasons.

#820 Posted by _Animus_ (2477 posts) - - Show Bio

Never really read up on Pagans and what not, I'll check it out.

#821 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee: You werent suppose to agree with me. I'm trying to start some sh!t here Charm and you're screwing it up -______-

#822 Posted by Pyrogram (36660 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee: Honestly I've never written a truly magic character as I've never known how. Mostly without knowledge, I'd always have felt strange just "using" spells or whatever you do almost like it's pulling things outta nowhere. But Puzzler recently told me about the magical "Give and take" element to the powers, like, to cut somebody with a phantom cut, you give your own blood. Kinda thing. Kinda balances it out.

#823 Edited by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: oops, rewind..... pressing play :D

BATMAN IS GOD!!!!!!, he can take down the entire league while sipping a cup of tea.

:) hows that?

#824 Posted by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Yes, balance it most important. Thats what I base it on. Think of it like the Three-Fold law (I know that not every Pagan believe it in, but its just for example.) for everything you do you have to think about it before you release it. Once done whether good or bad it'll come back. But in this case you have to find a way to make it more believeable that way its easier to read and imagine. What is the price for invoking spirits or demons? Your life, yes. For one they can possess you or torment you in many ways.

@_animus_: Considering its one if not the oldest form of religion around. lol

#825 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee: Faust did think Batman was a god, so I suppose I can forgive you ;)

#826 Posted by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@quintus_knightfall: But Batman is, considering all the side b*&^%$ he has, Robin, Batgirl, Robin again, ect.

#827 Edited by Armistice (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee said:

The truth is I hate when magic isn't operated or shown right. I get that people are inspired by fiction and whatever but some treat it as a religious working too. Basically its kinda disrespectful not to acknowledge it. Like completely condemning black magic= Voodoo with that to necromancers ect. Necromancy is basically another form of mediumship if not the same.

I'm not saying I don't do this, I do, given my past reputation. But now I try to operate on a manner that seems most convincing if it could be done, not saying it could, but for better word if I could do them with exaggeration. Teleportation, force field, energy blast, ect. isn't possible, not that I know of. But manipulating energy with visualization and thought to cast spells can be done. Voodoo would be a most potent example. Intricate rituals that has brought desired results can be attested for as working. Magic is too diverse and also over powered, maybe I'm just trying to make it simple, when really its not. In real life you can't expect a street fighter to engage a magic user who can automatically teleport or blast them with huge mystical energy, can you? No, that magic user will be presented as either deciding to fight back with the same capabilities as the street fighter or non at all. But with a controlled skilled of magic you can use the likes of telekinesis or other numerous psychic resources or attempt to draw power to cast a spell, one that works in a more believable stage such as creating fire or whatever. Basically I'm just trying to down play the magic and make it more less difficult to tackle on, but still acknowledging its danger. Dues ex machina wouldn't be fun for one going against it.

Small pet peeve, but I found out it offended those religious devotees because it brought a bad light upon them...

I personally like your take on how magic "should" work, but like any specialty on here (magic, technology, etc.) there is no "right one" simply because it would be impossible to get the majority to agree on anything. Some writers have more or less knowledge on a particular subject than others yet everyone is allowed to have their take be legitimate in a sense.

(Magic and the like do not interest me in the slightest, hence I do not play characters of that type because it would very likely turn out pretty lame.)

The Vine is a fictional universe that uses a combination of real world knowledge, theoretical applications, and flat-out fantasy side-by-side and many times people do not even know what category something goes under. There are countless ways one could use real world knowledge to consistently exploit giant holes in someones idea, but that is not the point of us being here. While getting some kind of framework in place we could all work off of sounds all good and dandy, I have fought that war before and feel confident in saying that is never going to happen.

In short you need to keep your expectations pretty low because expecting people to agree on here to that degree is just asking way too much.

#828 Posted by Armistice (4088 posts) - - Show Bio
@tranquil said:

@pyrogram said:

Two hours? Heh. It takes me that long to write an average post.

That is because you suck kid :)

#829 Posted by Frenemy (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking back at some of my older posts, I could have (or should have) been a lot more concise.

#830 Posted by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee said:

I personally like your take on how magic "should" work, but like any specialty on here (magic, technology, etc.) there is no "right one" simply because it would be impossible to get the majority to agree on anything. Some writers have more or less knowledge on a particular subject than others yet everyone is allowed to have their take be legitimate in a sense.

(Magic and the like do not interest me in the slightest, hence I do not play characters of that type because it would very likely turn out pretty lame.)

The Vine is a fictional universe that uses a combination of real world knowledge, theoretical applications, and flat-out fantasy side-by-side and many times people do not even know what category something goes under. There are countless ways one could use real world knowledge to consistently exploit giant holes in someones idea, but that is not the point of us being here. While getting some kind of framework in place we could all work off of sounds all good and dandy, I have fought that war before and feel confident in saying that is never going to happen.

In short you need to keep your expectations pretty low because expecting people to agree on here to that degree is just asking way too much.

I'm not expecting much but for people to acknowledge it. If so then okay, can I change them, no. Once again it was just a small pet peeve. I just enjoy working with real world knowledge as oppose to mainly relying on fantasy because its just my thing. It gives more to work with and what not.

So its safe to say my expectation are low, but it was just something that needed to be said. Part for the creativity exercise.

#831 Edited by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

When I know a post is going to be lacking in content, I purposefully try to make up for it in technique.

#832 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Prime Eagle's origin was original, only for a friend point out it was a Bruce Wayne/Steve Rogers hybrid. It was part of the reason why i made him lose the flight and gain the eye abilities. :P

#833 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (7998 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimson_eagle: Alot of peoples first and even later characters have aspects of known characters. Eddy had a few aspects from certain characters. And this one is pretty much all Jason Todd with a little vatican assassin thrown in.

#834 Edited by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio

@cassuis_slay_knightfall: It was just funny for me because I was so proud. I thought I created something so well done only to realize that comic book origins were locked into my subconscious lol.

EDIT: Besides, Red Hood is boss.

#835 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (7998 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimson_eagle: I thought Eddy was kind of original to it happens people see connections you dont. Indeed love Red hood hence why i kind of ripped it off lol

#836 Edited by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio
#837 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (7998 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimson_eagle: It certainly had parts of original material man, and that's not easy when the industry has been around for so long origins will be tough to be 100% all new.

#838 Edited by Crimson Eagle (1840 posts) - - Show Bio
#839 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (7998 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimson_eagle: But yeah alot of people round here have aspects of a certain origin and made it their own. I never have an issue with that i like it actually seeing how others would work with certain archetypes.

#840 Posted by Armistice (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not expecting much but for people to acknowledge it. If so then okay, can I change them, no. Once again it was just a small pet peeve. I just enjoy working with real world knowledge as oppose to mainly relying on fantasy because its just my thing. It gives more to work with and what not.

So its safe to say my expectation are low, but it was just something that needed to be said. Part for the creativity exercise.

Based on my pervious personal rants (on similar themes and otherwise) I am the last person to fault you for wanting to vent a pet peeve, barring making myself Hypocrite Number One LOL.

Building a framework for how your characters abilities work that is detailed and specificly addresses limitations for what could make it a Deus Ex Machina on demand is laudable. Tech based characters can be similarily abused because everyone thinks a "super-genius" should be able to cross dozens of scientific disiplines on demand, not to mention be top-tier in each and every one, as well as be able to integrate them with zero difficulty. Bad lessons carried over from lazy writers who did the same over the years in comics that have been so ingrained it is just accepted as "comic-logic"

Were it my decision I would tend to agre with your line of thinking, but the Vine is the Wild West and everyone can (and does) pretty much whatever they want.

#841 Posted by Angela_Lee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@angela_lee said:

Based on my pervious personal rants (on similar themes and otherwise) I am the last person to fault you for wanting to vent a pet peeve, barring making myself Hypocrite Number One LOL.

Building a framework for how your characters abilities work that is detailed and specificly addresses limitations for what could make it a Deus Ex Machina on demand is laudable. Tech based characters can be similarily abused because everyone thinks a "super-genius" should be able to cross dozens of scientific disiplines on demand, not to mention be top-tier in each and every one, as well as be able to integrate them with zero difficulty. Bad lessons carried over from lazy writers who did the same over the years in comics that have been so ingrained it is just accepted as "comic-logic"

Were it my decision I would tend to agre with your line of thinking, but the Vine is the Wild West and everyone can (and does) pretty much whatever they want.

Lol we all have our days.

OMFG yes I agree on this immensely! If I'm no genius I will in no way incorporate that within my character because I have no way of understanding something that is needed for my character lol. I want to blame Hollywood for its distortion on my part. lol

We can only do what we can lol. But I'm glad to see others like me even if we have different concepts ♥

#842 Posted by Blanketfromliltoaster (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I ship Armistice and Charm

#843 Posted by Huntington_Falls (519 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading someone elses amazing bio motivates me to write one of my own

#844 Edited by Valerie_Huntington (2824 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading someone elses amazing bio motivates me to write one of my own

Thank you, thank you

#845 Posted by Huntington_Falls (519 posts) - - Show Bio
#846 Posted by Valerie_Huntington (2824 posts) - - Show Bio
#847 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio
#848 Posted by Huntington_Falls (519 posts) - - Show Bio
#849 Posted by Valerie_Huntington (2824 posts) - - Show Bio

@anton_foucan: Well I would never want to question your...artistry ;p

#850 Edited by Zazel (10 posts) - - Show Bio

The truth is I'm just making alts until one agree wit me.