The Truth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#701  Edited By Amaranth

@pyrogram: It was like calling someones old co-workers and getting 'Oh yeah.. that guy... he was always late, never met his deadlines and we caught him peeing in the sink once..' and then hiring them :-P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@amaranth_strix: And this particular writer had not written anything in over six months :P

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: I think I'm as sick of Venezuelan rpgs as the forum is of Knightfalls lol

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@quintus_knightfall: Exactly! I don't want the stagnant empire anymore >_>

Just let it sit. Interest comes and goes. Someday there will be interest again, but right now most of the main peeps seem to have Venezuelan fatigue. We've been RPing about Ven for what, half a year now? There's nothing wrong with the Ven concept and its spawned a lot of activity and storylines but a break really is reasonable right now.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: LOL You could use it to sell a villain? Set-up an event and let a badguy f'sh!t up. Frees you from Venz and builds their credentials.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#708  Edited By Pyrogram

@amaranth_strix: Truth! I'll probably revive it sometime when needed. Just another tool in the toolbox now I guess.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quintus_knightfall: That's a very good idea. I'll think on that, actually. Nice. I forgot about the selling aspect.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

5 years.... Ugh

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#711  Edited By Mercy_

If I want to play something truly close to the chest, not a breath of it gets mentioned in random facts or to people* OOC.

*There are about three or four exceptions to this, and even then, they don't always get it

Avatar image for valerie_huntington
Valerie_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

If I want to play something truly close to the chest, not a breath of it gets mentioned in random facts or to people* OOC.

*There are about three or four exceptions to this, and even then, they don't always get it

Wait what does this mean

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Wait what does this mean

It means that even if something is secret and not alluded to with IC clues, if you mention it OOC to anybody, there are people who will inevitably figured it out IC (whether they realize they're doing this or not), even if there's no logical way for them to do so.

So when I'm truly playing my cards close to my chest, I don't allude to my plans in OOC threads and don't share details with anybody except for those that I know won't abuse it.

Avatar image for valerie_huntington
Valerie_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Oh gotcha yeah same. It's better to keep anything an IC secret an OOC secret as well.

Angela_Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@valerie_huntington said:

@mercy_ said:

Wait what does this mean

It means that even if something is secret and not alluded to with IC clues, if you mention it OOC to anybody, there are people who will inevitably figured it out IC (whether they realize they're doing this or not), even if there's no logical way for them to do so.

So when I'm truly playing my cards close to my chest, I don't allude to my plans in OOC threads and don't share details with anybody except for those that I know won't abuse it.

Word~

I think someone mentioned it before I think Andy or G. Your character should not know things you know ooc but ic they should be as clueless as a mouse looking for cheese.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#716  Edited By Mercy_

@angela_lee: I think that they both have. I know I've had extended conversations about it with both of them, but Andy's the one who initially brought it up. People don't even realize they're doing it. I don't blame them, it just got annoying.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: On other sites its called 'metagaming' and its taken as seriously as we take godmodding. Its one of the biggest no-no's in most of the fantasy based RPG sites I've been to.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: I've heard that term bandied about before, but this (and LW) are the only places I've RPGed. It's one of my very few pet peeves when it comes to RPG. I'm usually pretty flexible, but that peeves me to another level.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Nods It can get really, really annoying. I kinda like the feeling when everyone only RP's knowing things their characters actually found out. It makes information broker style characters a lot more useful. That said it does increase the difficulty of just kicking off a plot, and its a lot easier to explain when you're roleplaying in a fantasy setting that doesn't have mass media, internet and the NSA.

Jaegerjaquez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take metagaming very seriously. Most people close to me know this.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: That's how I like doing it, too. I set things up in a pre-plan for what I'm doing with my character, but other than that, I go by the seat of my pants (and I know that if G sees this, he'll chime in and say the same). It's why I always drop out of PMs that take place before big RPGs once we get the basics set up. I don't want to know what your plans are, because I know that even if I'm cognizant of it, it gets hard to separate IC and OOC knowledge in your writing. And I know that knowing if something is set up a certain way, will change my course of actions, which isn't true to the essence of RPGing or my character.

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

While begging to know every little tidbit from others at the same time :)

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: [ That's how I like to do it as well. And I hate OOC knowledge of peoples plans, not only does it destroy the suspense but if I actually figure it out legitimately no one is going to believe me so I can't act on my knowledge. Which sucks. ]

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: I always have to fight the insatiable urge for knowledge and the fact that I know it's going to wreck the suspense

@armistice:

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#726  Edited By Mercy_

Sigh...I thought that was fixed

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#727  Edited By Amaranth

@mercy_ said:

Sigh...I thought that was fixed

On Comic Vine? Don't be silly ;-P

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

I laughed.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#731  Edited By Amaranth

@mercy_: I guess you could say I spoke.... The Truth

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@valerie_huntington said:

@mercy_ said:

Wait what does this mean

Word~

I think someone mentioned it before I think Andy or G. Your character should not know things you know ooc but ic they should be as clueless as a mouse looking for cheese.

Scuse' me?

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: I'm beginning to think we should go to the bug forum every time it happens and post a link to the place where it happened. I don't think they get how often this is really happening.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its easy to do. I've done it myself. Not intentionally, but it happens. Its one reason I am not a fan of over planning events and going into specifics. You cant un-know once you know, and once you know, its reaaaaaaly hard not to have it alter or effect what you post. Even if its subconsciously.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: That's not a bad idea. And maybe it'll show some correlation or something that we haven't seen before

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Truth. Maybe they'll get some useful data.

Angela_Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#740  Edited By MasterMouse

@angela_lee:Its okay lol
I have to acknowledge everything related to mice,its my job now. :D

Angela_Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#742  Edited By MasterMouse
Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From time to time.. I write a good post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who What Where When How Why

The most important of the six as well as the one most glossed over on a consistent basis.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@armistice: What do you mean?

Too many people tend to focus on style over substance because that is what tends to get the most praise due to the "wow factor". For example:

• A lot of focus goes into a well illustrated setting/OP but many times little to no thought is put into why the situation happened in the first place, or if makes sense taking in all the moving pieces.
  • Another would be taking claims at face value without taking the time to consider if the facts justify them or not, all too often just saying something often enough or bold enough makes it so.

Everyone is guilty of this at one time or another, yet it is rarely taken to task.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#747  Edited By Pyrogram

@armistice: Thanks for elaborating, interesting :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@armistice: Thanks for elaborating, interesting :)

I would give examples but that would probably lead to an Armistice Problem

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

We're trademarking this

Pretty sure Zauby already added it to her Vine-Grammar-Nazi Dictionary but different people may have multiple defnitions to it