The RPG Advice Thread

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@dreadpool10: As the creator of the thread, yes, if your powers are reduced and you cannot get them back while inside the city its okay. Stark has gone to Gothic with a much weaker 'steal suit' and it was okay.

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadpool10: As the creator of the thread, yes, if your powers are reduced and you cannot get them back while inside the city its okay. Stark has gone to Gothic with a much weaker 'steal suit' and it was okay.

Thank you again, Strig! :)

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodness, looks like I'll be posting here quite a bit. My apologies, xD.

I have a knack for using character images, but rather than using the archetype that the particular image has (Ex: Use a Deadpool image, stick to a Deadpool-like personality), I generally put my own spin or twist on things (Ex: Use an image of a good character, make the personality an evil character). Now, would doing so possibly create... er... complications (For lack of a better word), somewhere in the future?

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadpool10: Post as much as you want, that's what its for :-)

No, that isn't a problem at all. Everyone uses images in their own way. Some people mean for that image to be literally what their character looks like and they play their own version of the character. Some people just use the image to represent their character. Some people use images that are somewhat like their own characters and some don't.

Gambler for example used edited Superman images for one of his street level martial artists. I use several images to create an 'idea' for what Ivana looks like but they're just there to help create a visual picture; Ivana doesn't literally look like any comic book or video game character. Everyone does it their own way so feel free to use images however you like!

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello! I'm new, and I have a few questions:
1. Is there a template for creating a character?
2. Can anyone recommend a good thread to start playing on?
3. Do you just start playing on a thread? Or do you have to introduce a character on the thread first? If you have to introduce a character, how would you structure that?

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Strigidae_23

@sorasonic: Welcome!

There is no 'official' template that everyone is required or expected to use. Most people just use their own creativity and create a character in whatever method appeals to them.

That depends on the character you create! Some characters may fit well in Gothic City [its basically our Gotham]. Others may work better in Glade City or any of the other threads around here.

Generally you just start playing. Some people do an 'intro post' where they describe their character and what they're doing in that thread but just as many people just jump into roleplaying with someone in the thread. Both work just fine :-)

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello! I'm new, and I have a few questions:

1. Is there a template for creating a character?

2. Can anyone recommend a good thread to start playing on?

3. Do you just start playing on a thread? Or do you have to introduce a character on the thread first? If you have to introduce a character, how would you structure that?

There isn't an actual 'template' but feel free to scan some bios and you'll see the common things that are described. Gothic City and Glade City are good places for beginners to start out at and get acquainted to things around here. You can introduce your character however you like. Some users like to intro them into an RP, an interaction with another user, or a blog that describes their origin.

Jungala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic:

Welcome!

1. There's not really a "template," per se; some folks like to use a power grid, and others prefer just describing their abilities. Your best bet is to just check out some character bios on accounts until you get an idea of what meshes with the way you want to write, and use that as a template.
  2. The location threads are usually a good place to start; it's a good place to toss out some posts to show what your character can do.
  3. In general yes, unless a thread has special restrictions, which are usually listed in the opening post. You can also throw up a post here and see if anyone else is looking to write, at the moment.
Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Sorasonic

Thank you @strigidae_23@_vex_ and @jungala for the advice! Much appreciated :) Though I do have one more question: A lot of threads have a lot of posts on them, so how would you catch up in terms of story? Do you read all of them, or jump in and see what happens?

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: It depends on the actual thread. If it's an IC RP event, it must be open (anyone can jump in) then you would have to catch up on it. If its simply a location thread, you can jump in at anytime and with any story plot as long as it follows the location/CVnU rules dictated.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Strigidae_23

@sorasonic: You are welcome! Well the first thing would be to see if it is an 'open' location thread or a 'closed' RP. If its a thread that represents a location then there is no need to catch up on the posts. That's generally impossible because there are so many. If it is a 'closed' RP then you need premission to join from the person who created the thread. In that case you would also need to read the posts to have an idea of what is going on. There are also a lot of RPs that are open to anyone and it is usually a really good idea to read the posts so you know what is going on.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jungala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: Most welcome. Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Sorasonic

Another question for anyone able to answer: What would be a good way to introduce a character? I think I want to start playing in Gothic City, but I'm not really sure how to start. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: I'd say a Blog introducing your character as a whole. Providing a quick glance at how he/she thinks and acts. Could be in any situation. Stopping a bank robbery, stealing something, a monologue. Anything at all.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: Hrm. Good question. I've been here for years and I'm not always sure myself lol. But I would say that one thing that can be helpful is to just make a post that shows your character doing something and leaves it open for other people to join in. They may or they may not! If they don't, don't worry about it; the important thing is you got your character out there in the public eye, you showed a little of your writing style and you have established yourself in the canon. Journey of a thousand miles, first step, that kind of thing lol.

Becauseimanerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Becauseimanerd

@sorasonic:

There are several ways to introduce a new character. Some people prefer posting their character's bio in an individual thread or blog. Others prefer to make an introductory post in the location where they feel their character would operate. Some make individual threads that aren't bios, but instead one shot fan fictions that introduce and show off their character. Generally, all of these methods work to some degree, but the most vital thing to do is to put yourself out there. Make your intentions with the character known and then RP with him/her/it for as long as you can without becoming utterly bored with the character.

Hope that helps in some way or another =)

Avatar image for the_sunshine_state
Machiavelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Machiavelli

@sorasonic: Agree with Drake. If you haven't gotten a feel for your character yet then a blog helps you, as well as everybody else get an idea of who he is.

If you've already got it figured out though and want to dive into writing with other people, just put up a post in Gothic or Locale Anon that gives someone else subtle but obvious opening/s to join in with you, either ally or enemy.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the best thing to do when there is a look you wish to use for a character, but it is taken?

• A. Find another look.
  • B. Screw it, use the look anyway.
  • C. Use the look, but respectfully inform the user to avoid confusion.
  • D. Edit the look a tiny bit.
  • And finally... E. Tell them to get the freak out and then take their look (Kidding)
Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadpool10: Use the look anyway. Nobody can 'own' a look LOL. But if you feel that someone has made a look iconic and or you don't want to upset them by using the same look, PM them and ask them if they're fine with you using the same look. But it really shouldn't be a problem. People have been using the same looks as others for a long time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafael_romeiro said:

@dreadpool10: Use the look anyway. Nobody can 'own' a look LOL. But if you feel that someone has made a look iconic and or you don't want to upset them by using the same look, PM them and ask them if they're fine with you using the same look. But it really shouldn't be a problem. People have been using the same looks as others for a long time.

Darn, was hoping you'd say E (Lol), but B and C are cool! Thanks mano, :)

Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: What steps would another player and I have to go through to make a large event happen in Gothic City?

Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skullken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When a person visits a Nightclub (Hellfire or Loners or Menagerie) are we in our costumes or not?

Klemens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullken: That's entirely up to you, mano. You can mention in your arriving post what your character is wearing :)

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullken: Depends on what the writer wants. But generally the default assumption is no, I think. If they want them to be, usually they'll say their character is in costume. And in general people tend to describe physical appearance in the opening post, but if not I think most people assume some kind of civilian attire based on the character.

Skullken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aphasic: What if I'm out of costume and a friend is?

and Would the Patrons act different if we were in costume?

Skullken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arquitenens: What if I'm out of costume and a friend is?

and Would the Patrons act different if we were in costume?

Klemens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullken: That's part of the interaction though. Its an IC scenario that has to be dealt with. If character A goes in without a costume and he's friends with character B who is in costume but they don't recognize each other as a result, its an IC scenario that'll flow as you guys interact. Or if that's the case but they do recognize each other, they can still do whatever in the nightclub. Unless there are specific rules about costumes in said nightclub thread, there's nothing to stress about, mano ;)

Sometimes they might but its part of what comes when you choose to wear tights to a nightclub LOL.

Skullken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullken: Hehee, then you're just out of costume and your friend is. If you're asking if that's allowed, yes it is (the rules aren't so micro-managey).

That is also up to you. However you wanna write it. It sounds like logically they might, but it may depend on the locale and circumstance. If you're in a city/town/bar where they're used to costumes, maybe no one will bat an eyelash. If your character is a regular at that establishment, maybe they're used to him in particular and may greet him with fondness (or groans if he's a super-powered jerk). If he's well-known? Maybe he can't take a sh!t in the bathroom without someone standing by it asking for his autograph on a napkin. [Combined two references!] It's all up to you.

Klemens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skullken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullken: No problem! ^_^

Combine our responses and you have the most complete answer.

DarkKnightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a perfectly serious question, though I expect it will sound stupid. What, exactly is a Knightfall?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkknightwing: The Knightfalls were a family that used the Batfamily as character 'looks' in the early days of the CVnU. They both got in on the ground floor and were founded by a prominent member of the CV RPG community (Gambler). Several major and long lived characters have been members of the Knightfall clan and a great number of storylines have spawned from the Knightfalls and Knightfall related things.

Avatar image for wally_washngton
Wally_Washngton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where and the what in the how in the hell do I get involved in this mother?

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where and the what in the how in the hell do I get involved in this mother?

First, you post.

That's as far as I got.

Avatar image for just_an_average_man
Just_an_average_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wally_washngton:

Welp. You can start by making a character if you want. If you wanna do your own thing or for me to give you a template, I can.

Basically, you can make another account based on the character and in the "about me" part, write your character's bio. For instance, on this account, I have my bio (you can click *show to see it. Doesn't need to be as long as mine but it can be.)

And then well, you can roleplay by asking to roleplay with people or joining events and doing things there primarily.

Avatar image for wally_washngton
Wally_Washngton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for just_an_average_man
Just_an_average_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wally_washngton:

Here is one. You can copy and paste it and put in the bio section of your profile.

Link

AnimePhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do I RP exactly can some one give me details on how do I make a page to introduce my character or do I just start rping?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By The_Shogun

@animephantom: Welcome! Generally speaking you begin with creating a 'Bio' in the About Me section of your account. Everyone creates their bio in their own way, but generally it will contain your name, code name if you have one, and what your powers/abilities/equipment are. The powers are the most important part because if you battle people will want to see what your powers are so they know you aren't making up new ones as you go along lol.

Then you just jump into an open thread or roleplay and get started! Its generally a good idea to read the rules on the OP and the RPG rules first though ~__^

AnimePhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers