The RPG Advice Thread

Tank.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jedixman: By canon I mean the mainstream events that happen here on the rpg boards. Their marvel/DC. Basically anything that does not happen within that universe is considered none canon here. So a Star wars themed rpg would be none-canon. Which there is nothing at all wrong with that. But like I said most people here do not do none-canon rpgs. If they do it is short lived to say the least.

You're more than welcome to check out this thread for some ideas, if you like. We created it a few months ago and set it in the old republic era. Not many people got involved so it was mostly just myself and Psyentist, and our alts.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/rpg-9/star-wars-nar-shaddaa-1453880/?page=15#js-message-746

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@tank_ said:

@jedixman said:

Okay, so, I was thinking about joining the whole "RPG" thing. I was considering the idea of starting a Star Wars universe within the RPG realm, but I have no idea how this works, how to start, etc. So advice (especially from RPG vets) is welcome.

Sadly you won't find a lot of staying power with it. People here tend to stick with 'Canon' events and that's about it. You might get a few to jump in with you, but most of them would not post on any regular basis.

What do you mean by canon? Sticking to the source material? Because I intended to do that.

Canon to their (the users) rpg characters and Universe basically. Star Wars would be outside that canon/universe and Tank is saying that alot of rpgers wouldn't stick with it for long as they would eventually return their primary focus back to their own character's canon. He may be wrong, but he has tried himself to establish a Star Wars U a couple times now. Personally I think its a great idea. I'd go for it and just see what happens.

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Trinity-Blue

@the_last_arashikage said:

@jedixman said:

@tank_ said:

@jedixman said:

Okay, so, I was thinking about joining the whole "RPG" thing. I was considering the idea of starting a Star Wars universe within the RPG realm, but I have no idea how this works, how to start, etc. So advice (especially from RPG vets) is welcome.

Sadly you won't find a lot of staying power with it. People here tend to stick with 'Canon' events and that's about it. You might get a few to jump in with you, but most of them would not post on any regular basis.

What do you mean by canon? Sticking to the source material? Because I intended to do that.

Canon to their (the users) rpg characters and Universe basically. Star Wars would be outside that canon/universe and Tank is saying that alot of rpgers wouldn't stick with it for long as they would eventually return their primary focus back to their own character's canon. He may be wrong, but he has tried himself to establish a Star Wars U a couple times now. Personally I think its a great idea. I'd go for it and just see what happens.

Azzy is involved in some Star Wars type character inside the nU.

Also the Marvel/DC thing is wrong. If I recall correctly, it was said when the CVnU was established that no characters from those universes are to exist here, to avoid such things as canon confusion and the Worf Effect.

Actually, scratch that second bit. I just thought he was making a grammar mistake, but I think he meant something else entirely.

Barkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you guys handle interrupts in fights here? :U I come from a very different style of RP, t1 human constraint, so I thought I'd ask.

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Fukuro_Zoku
Barkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>.> Someone makes a post with an obnoxious amount of actions all within sword range. Do we just have to stand there and only dodge/block or do you guys actually allow counter attacking? :I because from what I've been told ya'll have to sit there and not interrupt posts.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#58 Icarusflies  Moderator

@barkins said:

>.> Someone makes a post with an obnoxious amount of actions all within sword range. Do we just have to stand there and only dodge/block or do you guys actually allow counter attacking? :I because from what I've been told ya'll have to sit there and not interrupt posts.

You can counter. If done properly, the 'actions' are spoken of in the hypothetical, and so can be interrupted.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By warlock360

@barkins: If it would be physically impossible to avoid them, at least try to minimize the damage, your opponent can't say "I'll chop off your head now" and then not give you the ability to survive... at least not at the start... right?

Say for example:

Dude A: *swings sword at throat*

Dude B: "Gah! I'm too close to avoid damage!" *dodges in the final moment so that he avoids getting caught in any lethal areas*

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By warlock360

Unlike me in the past of course

Loading Video...

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Charlemagne

@barkins: Forgot to respond to your pm, my bad.

Its actually pretty easy. You address the ridiculous amounts of sword strikes in the replying posts. Dont view the posts as singular but rather as a collective. The two posts = one. I'll explain

- Gambler attempted to impale Barkins with a spinning 360 sword thrust. Using the momentum to parry off to the side, he followed the initial attack, twirling the hilt of his blade between his fingers before slashing at his opponent with a diagonal trajectory. Stringing his strikes together in a continuous chorus of movement slicing from left to right in hopes of disemboweling the expertly trained swordsmen.

Now no one is thinking your character was just standing there the entire time looking at birds lol. Its one reason why we never say an attack landed. You leave that up to the responding party. Think of the response not as a continuation or leap forward in time cause the beginning of the response is basically going to be a recap but from your opponents prospective, complete with what they were doing at the time. Kind of like this

- Utilizing years of martial arts training and swordsmen ship, Barkins side stepped the twirling stab. Gracefully unsheathing his blade with cultured acrobatics effortlessly redirecting the diagonal slash but unknowingly opening himself up to the back and forth follow up. The metal cutting across his abdomen. Though nonfatal, Barkins the Badass watched as a substantial amount of blood streamed from his stomach down along his jeans to the ground. Enraged he launched himself forward (this is where you as the responder progress the interaction with your counter attack or whatever).

Barkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what I was checking xD because the person I talked to the other night made it seem like I could capitalize on their movements, exploit them and counter properly because it would 'void' parts of their post.

@barkins said:

You can counter. If done properly, the 'actions' are spoken of in the hypothetical, and so can be interrupted.

@barkins

: If it would be physically impossible to avoid them, at least try to minimize the damage, your opponent can't say "I'll chop off your head now" and then not give you the ability to survive... at least not at the start... right?

Say for example:

Dude A: *swings sword at throat*

Dude B: "Gah! I'm too close to avoid damage!" *dodges in the final moment so that he avoids getting caught in any lethal areas*

That isn't my problem if my objective is to kill in a thread that won't even be counted as canon lol. If you perform a series of movements that leave you completely open and I choose to interrupt then it creates what you call an alternate timeline. Wherein you would have done say ten different sword swings and I teleport behind you to cut you in half, there you have the opportunity to either carry through with those actions or allow me to void them. I was just asking because the person I talked to last night made it seem like I couldn't just interrupt their post when they were prepping and doing random flashy movements to create an arena after I had entered sword combat with them :I they literaly stabbed their sword into the ground and start manipulating fire to create a dome around us before going back into hand to hand combat against a swordsmen... LOL.

I mean if you spam hand to hand attacks against a swordsmen, doesn't he have the option to just turn the edge of his blade to block your first strike and bloody you? Responding is all good and well but writing yourself into a corner against an 'evil' character is not. That's why I'm asking ^>^

Barkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barkins: Forgot to respond to your pm, my bad.

Its actually pretty easy. You address the ridiculous amounts of sword strikes in the replying posts. Dont view the posts as singular but rather as a collective. The two posts = one. I'll explain

- Gambler attempted to impale Barkins with a spinning 360 sword thrust. Using the momentum to parry off to the side, he followed the initial attack, twirling the hilt of his blade between his fingers before slashing at his opponent with a diagonal trajectory. Stringing his strikes together in a continuous chorus of movement slicing from left to right in hopes of disemboweling the expertly trained swordsmen.

Now no one is thinking your character was just standing there the entire time looking at birds lol. Its one reason why we never say an attack landed. You leave that up to the responding party. Think of the response not as a continuation or leap forward in time cause the beginning of the response is basically going to be a recap but from your opponents prospective, complete with what they were doing at the time. Kind of like this

- Utilizing years of martial arts training and swordsmen ship, Barkins side stepped the twirling stab. Gracefully unsheathing his blade with cultured acrobatics effortlessly redirecting the diagonal slash but unknowingly opening himself up to the back and forth follow up. The metal cutting across his abdomen. Though nonfatal, Barkins the Badass watched as a substantial amount of blood streamed from his stomach down along his jeans to the ground. Enraged he launched himself forward (this is where you as the responder progress the interaction with your counter attack or whatever).

OKAY so we do follow logic here xD I just had to check because my discussion with my opponent last night threw me for a loop. I mean, especially with dual swords and with someone taking time out to do a ton of moves in one post I'm used to just stepping in, interrupting or making a defense that hurts them if they continue their movements. Confusion ended ^>^

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Charlemagne

@barkins said:

OKAY so we do follow logic here xD I just had to check because my discussion with my opponent last night threw me for a loop. I mean, especially with dual swords and with someone taking time out to do a ton of moves in one post I'm used to just stepping in, interrupting or making a defense that hurts them if they continue their movements. Confusion ended ^>^

We "try" but accidents happen, logic is ignored or washed over. I mean it is a comicbook site so more often then not logic (especially in battles) takes a back seat and the Batman effect takes over.

Barkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Barkins

Oh that's fine. I'm totally cool with batman logic xD I just wasn't so in love with the idea of letting people go wild with preparation after entering combat when I should be able to step in :U batmanstyle

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest everyone bows in homage to the RPG gods (aka me) at least once a day for good fortune :)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I suggest everyone bows in homage to the RPG gods (aka me) at least once a day for good fortune :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram:

It took 11 minutes for this to get a response, you all are slipping

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Mercy_

SMH

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make lots of OOC friends before investing into anything major, form a network of people around you to start off before ensnaring more people into your diabolical trap of plot threads.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Get off my lawn you snot nosed kid! >:V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Get off my lawn you snot nosed kid! >:V

I'm too old for anyone on this site to call me kid

rides his big wheel over your lawn

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tiamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Because I know your wealth of knowledge and love for SW. If you were ever to try and set up something here I would jump in and try to help get things going/established. (Outside of it involving Prime or the nU)

@schlampe said:

Actually, scratch that second bit. I just thought he was making a grammar mistake, but I think he meant something else entirely.

That is correct, you were mistaken.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#77 JediXMan  Moderator

@tiamat said:

@jedixman: Because I know your wealth of knowledge and love for SW. If you were ever to try and set up something here I would jump in and try to help get things going/established. (Outside of it involving Prime or the nU)

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone who is interested should send me a private message (so should you, just so I can keep track).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tiamat said:

@schlampe said:

That is correct, you were mistaken.

hater :)

Tiamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I'll get a hold of a couple others as well to see if they might have any interest.

@armistice: Or honest. Whichever floats your boat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tiamat: JEDI EEEEEEEWOOOOOOOKS... ;)

Tiamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_eclipse_: Knew that was coming. lol

Speaking if Ewoks, this Tuesday there will be an Ewok companion available for The Old Republic mmo. lol Granted she is not a Jedi but more of a bounty hunter who uses a bowcaster.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By -Eclipse-

@tiamat: O____O

Kinda wanna play it just for that now...

Tiamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Web_Flotsam

I made my bio as a blog. How do you suggest I start?

Edit: I realized my character was a higher tier than most people are using and am going to make one or two more for more regular play.

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By UNDERDOGZ

why wont nobody want to RP wit me?

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underdogz: I will, just PM me and I'll see if I can work something out with you.

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underdogz: Of course I'm for real.

I already have one big thing people can partake in, have a really big thing due out on labor day, and am always open for one on ones.

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you've made a character, what should you do to introduce them?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaebccd120
deactivated-5a4aaebccd120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you've made a character, what should you do to introduce them?

If you want to hit the ground running find a thread like Locale Anonymous or New York and just set yourself up with a paragraph or two.

If you want to write a story to intro you character to give people a feel of your style and character you can write a blog and post it to the section.

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_: Alright, I wrote a bio. I'm going to expand on it some more, but thanks. I'll try to find a reasonable location.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is more of an opinion then it is advice. Just my own personal belief. I notice that alot time newer rpgers like to post self-contained stories. Basically a fan-fic. And while that can get you some responses (nice post, that was cool, awesome, etc) it really doesn't do much as far as integrating you/your character, into the established rpg World. Maybe you dont want to, which is also fine, but then again if you just wanted to write by yourself the Fan-Fic area seems like a more logical forum. It can be intimidating just jumping in and interacting. Especially when it seems everyone has their own connections and plots going on, but for me, I welcome anyone at any time to jump in on any interaction I have going on. Part of the rpg fun is dealing with unexpected arrivals and new characters.

Basically what I'm saying is if you're not sure where to begin, how, or with who, look up any thread I (Gambler) is in and jump right in. I'll respond as soon as I can and I'll try my best to work what you posted into what I was previously doing :)

Eternelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambler's being nice?

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@gambler: Any thread I is in?

I's does what I does and I's do what I's do. Deal wit it

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambler: This is why we can't be friends.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@fukuro_zoku: Got to many friends. Actually trying to ditch a couple :P

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@gambler: yo say i wanted to capture China what exactly would i have to do?