User Lists: 0

@lens: I remember you :-) Welcome back!

Lens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@percival: Yeah, I probably left a little while before you joined. Thanks for the info.

Lens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_shogun: Thanks! I'm guessing you were using a different account?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454  Edited By The_Shogun

@lens: That I did! I was probably online as Lady Liberty the most in those days.

Avatar image for leonardo_liafador
Leonardo_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd apprecriate if anyone were to critique my writing. I'd love utter brutal honesty

SecretSector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you guys think about my character?

Windbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#457  Edited By Windbreaker

What are some locations where a player can meet others in costume and not fighting?

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@windbreaker: Well, there are several places, really. Any average location thread would do, so long as the place isn't "anti-meta humans".

Gothic City, for example. You can just have a post where your character walks into a bar and starts drinkin', and someone else might come along to get a drink with you.

Windbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey_destroyer_of_worlds: Thanks, Is there any thing you have to say or explain to let others know you are in or out of costume?

Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@windbreaker: Oh, yeah. That's a good thing to mention, for sure, since people might get confused.

Windbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@windbreaker: Nah, you're fine. There's been weirder things happening.

Windbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aerostorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Write a long bio it might get you some respect plus write with good grammar so you dont look like an idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Write a long bio it might get you some respect plus write with good grammar so you dont look like an idiot.

Writing a particularly long bio isn't altogether necessary. As long as it includes basic information and such.

TheMaskofMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a guide to making locations and events? Like a general outline or formatting suggestions?

Braum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheMaskofMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468  Edited By TheMaskofMany

@braum: Wheaties, if I knew how to make an event/location format or suggestions thread I'd know how to make events/locations, and I wouldn't need a suggestion thread. -_-

Braum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themaskofmany: right lol. uuuhhh, just follow the same format as other location threads? It really just depends on what you're making.

TheMaskofMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braum: That's not a bad idea. I'll take a look at impero's stuff, cry for half an hour, then plot out an event. I probably won't be doing it now though, what with the apocalypse going on and all.

Braum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themaskofmany: It's not gonna stop me from writing my location thread! (writing it in my blog as we speak right now) I'll just post it when it's ready.

TheMaskofMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braum: I'll be sure to check it out. I feel like in forgetting something though...

Right, bread factory. I'll get on it after work, though I do have essays to get to...

Braum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themaskofmany: lol don't worry about that. My hands are full right now.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I'm gathering that the RPG section isn't exactly like playing D&D with your friends, but more like writing fan fiction in which your character interacts with other peoples characters, situations, settings and stories?

I'm I off?

This seems fun.

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@stumpy49er: No one uses dice, so fighting success or failure is based on selling. Means you really have to have faith in your fellow writers not to be godlike. LOL Everything is intuitive and fluid more than numerical. Can make fights last FOREVER.

No proper DM/GM's either. Everyone is sort of their own and can make up stories or situations in which other PCs can react.

It's super fun and great practice for honing writing skills.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_psyentist: Sweet. I have a good idea fot a location. I'll post it when I get a chance.

I might even create an alt for one of my fan fic characters I've been writing.

Trinity00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Before you go on posting things ask if X-Y happened or if X-Y is taken since this fanfiction also has other players characters/history taken place.

So for example if you want to reference an historical event that happened and its big (like inventing the nuclear bomb or something) you have to ask the RP'ers if they are okay with that.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trinity00: Wasn't my plan to post anything historical, just a building.

Trinity00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Okay :)

Though I recommend don't make it anywhere near Denver, it's a hell zone right now :O

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#482  Edited By stumpy49er

@trinity00: Cool, thanks for the advice.

How's Northern California, Bay Area?

Also, magic works, right? Extra dimensional doorways?

Trinity00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Yeah that's good, magic also is the best way to make a location :)

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If everyone who either complains or frets excessively over realism being "too much," a "problem," or themselves being "not realistic enough" could direct their attention to the section on believability...

Grabbed directly from Kratesis, as seen in an old thread that got lost somewhere.

-- --

There are five primary factors that contribute to the success of a character. There are exceptions, and there are secondary factors, but these five together offer the largest input.

If you want to build a character that interests others these things are what you should look at.

Exaggeration

Traits of successful characters are almost always exaggerated. Virtually without exception! The traits can be physical, or mental, but either way they are exaggerated. Larger than life.

Luke Skywalker isn't just a good pilot, he's a GREAT pilot. Hulk isn't mildly irritable he's ANGRY. Gambler isn't 'self-confident' he's ARROGANT. Longshot isn't just kinda heroic he's a HERO.

This serves to create interest. On a basic level someone that's larger than life in some way is just more interesting. They stand 'above' everyone around them simply by possessing 'more' of a normal trait. Just as the greek gods were exaggerated versions of the greeks, interesting characters are exaggerated versions of regular people.

This sticks strongly in the readers mind. For example you could take any successful character and instantly think of something distinctive about them. Right off the bat, no thinking required.

Characters that lack exaggeration are not memorable. Remember Natalie Portman's character from Episodes 1? Remember anything about her besides her wild hair and cloths? She lacked significant exaggeration. Thus she was boring and forgettable.

This can be taken too far of course, some characters are so exaggerated as to become a parody. Think of Jar Jar Binks. Too much exaggeration is equally bad.

You want to fall between the extremes.

This is why I'm against policies or RP cultures that force everyone to have a RL avatar. It pushes everyone toward the same level of image exaggeration, and the same type of looks. For some characters a RL look is good, and for some its not. All characters DO NOT belong at the same level of visual exaggeration.

Position

Where is your character located in life? That has a lot to do with it. Think about a man who has billions of dollars and is really smart. Think about him going to a party, and getting drunk. Think about him getting into an argument with his friend, breaking stuff and later passing out drunk. Okay. Kinda interesting I guess...

Now think about him getting drunk.. in his suit of power armor, while he parties! Think about him getting into a power armored brawl with his best pal, blasting holes in his billion dollar manson! Then he falls over dead drunk, still wearing his suit of powered armor!

That's a heck of a lot more interesting story.

Batman isn't interesting because he's a rich playboy with a double life. He's interesting because he dresses up like a bat and flights super powered criminals with his array of gadgets and martial arts!

In short what a character DOES is part of that character. You're characters LOCATION and ACTIONS are just as important as their TRAITS and ABILITIES. Everyone focuses on the last two, but forgets the first two.. at their own peril.

The entire superhero genre is built on this. Watchmen is basically a detective story. But toss some costumes in there, and some powers and bam! Way more interesting just like that.

(There is a reversal to this.)

What your character does in each scene is critical because it establishes their location in the world. What you write a character doing is really important. Being aware of this could strengthen a LOT of RPGs.

Believability

Does the reader think your character acts believable? That doesn't mean realistically. The Aliens in Alien weren't realistic, but they were believable! Darth Vader wasn't realistic, but he was believable. Spider Man isn't realistic, but he does behave in a way that's believable.

Mostly this involves consistency. We can believe in even very strange characters so long as they are consistent in their emotional response, and in their actions.

It also ties back to the first element, exaggeration. You've gotta drive it home by exaggerating the same thing every time. Wolverine for example has a very distinctive way of speaking but it has become believable because he speaks in the same way almost all the time.

Look at the characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Their strange type of speech was believable because it was consistent Their sometimes extreme emotional reactions were believable because they were consistent. Their frequently poor logic was believable because it was consistent.

In many ways this is the simplest and easiest of all five.

Introduction

Whaaaaaaat? Isn't this part of the story, not the character?

Nope!

Characters and story are not separate A character does not exist in some mystical character realm. Characters ARE what they DO.

You re-create the idea of your character with the very first paragraph of each post. The first paragraph of a RPG post is critical beyond belief. That is make or break time. Whatever you type here sets the tone for the rest of the readers time.

This is going to ESTABLISH your character in the mind of the reader. Whatever you write here is highly influential upon how your character is seen.

I could go on and on and on, because this is one of the number one mistakes I see in RPGs. That said, I don't want anyone to feel like I'm singling them out so I'm going to leave this one here. If you want to talk about it further PM me and I'd be happy to help you.

Empathy

This is the magic bullet. If you create a character that is loved or hated (a character that connects either positively or negatively with the readers emotions) you win.

This is the radioactive spider, the gamma ray explosion, and your parents are dead. This is the stuff. Forge that emotional connection and you win the attention of readers, because at the end of the day that's what everyone is looking for. A connection, either good or bad, with someone.

A villain we love to hate, or a hero we feel connected with. Either one will do.

Not too much to say here, this is mostly tied up in what 'person' you use, the temperature of the viewpoint, and the use of sequels. So its really about the writing technique itself, and thus a subject for another time.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thisisgonnahurt
ThisIsGonnaHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Best advice I can give is to never give up.

Open your canned studio laughter now.

But it's true.

I have over five hundred Word documents, all full of ideas I tried for maybe thirty minutes and trashed because I didn't think they were good. But maybe they would have been good, great even. Who knows? I don't. I just stuff them in there and forget about them for like a month. No one knows if your idea's going to be a hit or a miss. Just go with it and see for yourself. Hell, you might be the only one who truly enjoys writing that character or pursuing that concept.

But it's yours. It's your little project, and that's reason enough to see it through to the end.

Okay inspiration over, back to lurking and posting stupid sh!t.

Chevaliere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys writing female characters (and vice versa, to an extent). A recurring issue, and Joy basically hit it on the head while I was sleeping. But it'll probably get lost in WC in short order. And while this thread may go under, I feel this would be a nice place to put it so at least if someone stumbles across this thread they might maybe perchance happen to see it.

Guys, when in doubt, I think you can safely take Greg Rucka's advice.

The answer to all of these questions is the same, fundamentally. One does not write a "female" character any more than one writes a "male" character. One writes character, and character is derived from many, many different components, gender being just one of them. Education, background, childhood, religion, sexual orientation and experience, unique history - all of these things influence character, and the writer's job is to present the whole package in the form of an individual. The problem isn't that writers forget they're writing one gender or another, it's that they do so without due consideration for the factors. To write any character, one must inhabit their life, evaluate it, and then see both through their character's bias, and objectively.

By the same token, sexy is not exploitative, and exploitation is dishonest. Reverse that chain and you can see that, whoever you are writing, if you are honest about them, fair to them, and allow them their moments of brilliance, you can create that sexiness without it becoming pandering. Sexy is not a visual trait - that's titillation. Cheesecake, beefcake, those are entirely visual matters. What makes someone sexy - what makes anyone sexy, in my opinion - is less how they look than how they do. Competence is sexy. Capability is sexy. Confidence is sexy. Smart is sexy. A character who clearly embodies these traits in some capacity or another is a character who is going to be attractive.

Bending over to pick up a dropped pen with your ass high in the air isn't sexy, that's just a butt shot. We confuse arousing with sexy in the same way we confuse strength with cruelty. A strong character isn't, by definition, a mean one, but the confusion between the two has lead to a shorthand where the attempt to depict a female character as "strong" translates to "bitch." They're not the same. Strength is part of character, as well - those characters who know what they want, know what they're willing to do to achieve those goals, and who rise again and again against opposition are, by definition, strong.

There are individual differences. We've had female writers who wrote characters that were extremely sexual and unabashed and totally out there about it, and both writer and character were female. That's not everyone's cup of tea, but for them it just was what they do. And they're fine. People like that exist in the world. There are women who love sex and who can be just as (pardon) horny as any man. And there are those who devote more concerted efforts so that isn't the thing one thinks of when they think of them (or their character, if we bring it back to the RP aspect).

So, there isn't really a rule, but if you want a rule that'll (maybe) keep you from writing a character you see as exploitative or a stereotypical, Greg Rucka should work. I endorse him. I love him. You should too.

There you go @maverick_6.

Nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_drake: Hey, man, I know you've been struggling in these past few months. I've been through similar shit myself and, you know what? It's not worth it. Not worth your time, your effort, your blood nor your tears.

So, personal advice?

Kill yourself.

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nobody: Thanks, man. Really appreciate your words of encouragement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b
deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, still kinda new at this, but how would I, (in character) go about gaining information on other characters? I feel like if I show up saying, "My super computer did it." would be wrong.

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, still kinda new at this, but how would I, (in character) go about gaining information on other characters? I feel like if I show up saying, "My super computer did it." would be wrong.

The best way to go about doing this sort of thing would just be to ask people how much information would be available to you about their character, if you're unsure :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b
deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lichter:

Thank you, that help so much. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over a year ago, this thread was my home.

MarcusAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea where to start with this.

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rexorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How would I go about joining a thread, say, LA? Was looking into it and it looks great, but not sure where I would start...

Soterichor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexorr: Heya! Then I take it you're new. In which case welcome! No requirements except to have a character. [Not really many strict requirements on that either.] If you have a character [quick look says you do] and an idea of what he's doing, all you'd need to do is put your fingers to work.

Rexorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'll go ahead and create a story in the New York location thread, but I'm not really sure how to start doing things with other players. What would be a good team? Is I Am Legend still active?