• 127 results
#1 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is a thread, in which we can discuss the major events, as well as the future and past of the Vine as a whole.

what direction it started in, what drirection it's taking now, and what directon anybody thinks it should take in the future

#2 Posted by .Longshot. (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. Now, we just need a topic.

I'll leave that up to the next guy.

#3 Posted by _Superstar_ (1438 posts) - - Show Bio

ME!

Just kidding, how the earth will be destroyed in he next ten years from how nasty things are going to get.

#4 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

To those from other sites who know of the vine, especially those other role players, we're kind of infamous for claiming to have a canon when our continuity is about as existent as a unicorn being ridden by big foot of the loch ness monster in a flying saucer. The vine started out with pretty much no canon, the only canon ever provided was that given by teams and it was quite frankly a mess that would give a professional chronologist a heart attack if you asked him to make sense of it. We've gotten a *little* better but we still have contradictions running all over the place, people ignoring any events they don't take part in, retcons up the alley, and what not.

#5 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

I meant from an OOC perspective, looking at the vineverse from a writing perspective. Go to the RPG ideas thread, their talking about how the vine is, and I figured it needed it's own space

#6 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91 said:

I meant from an OOC perspective, looking at the vineverse from a writing perspective. Go to the RPG ideas thread, their talking about how the vine is, and I figured it needed it's own space

From a writing perspective it is *still* a tangled mess.

#7 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: I know, I thought that was how you guys were looking at it. I think this the best place for the opinions though, just to keep it clean. It's not my place to say where it's at, being that I was only here starting at Ruin Kingdom, and have no idea what it was like before.

#8 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul: I know, I thought that was how you guys were looking at it. I think this the best place for the opinions though, just to keep it clean. It's not my place to say where it's at, being that I was only here starting at Ruin Kingdom, and have no idea what it was like before.

If you go back only a little while, it wasn't that different. But the further you go back, the more early instalment weirdness you'll see.

#9 Posted by Finesse_ (70 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: What solutions would you propose to quell the continuity problem?

#10 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Finesse_ said:

Right now, we have exactly *zero* incentive for people to follow canon, and without a rules change I don't think we can force them to follow it. Rather, Kurrent has an elegant solution for the general role plays. While I have a plan for collab events, where the most veteran role players will come around and think out a big event, bringing in our buddies so that we can bring in as many people as possible. We'll then all chronicle this event for posterity.

#11 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@Finesse_ said:

Right now, we have exactly *zero* incentive for people to follow canon, and without a rules change I don't think we can force them to follow it. Rather, Kurrent has an elegant solution for the general role plays. While I have a plan for collab events, where the most veteran role players will come around and think out a big event, bringing in our buddies so that we can bring in as many people as possible. We'll then all chronicle this event for posterity.

thats something I'd like to read

#12 Edited by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Finesse_ said:

Why have the big personalities (Me, Darkie, Gambler, Arrow, Kurrent, Andy, Sha, Warsie etc) constantly clash with their ideas, when we can pool them together to create something awesome?

#13 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Finesse_ said:

Why have the big personalities (Me, Darkie, Gambler, Arrow, Kurrent, Andy, Sha, Warsie etc) constantly clash with their ideas, when we can pool them together to create something awesome?

@Vrakmul: Hoping you guys could give me an answer to that one.

We've been having in team fights and disagreements on ideas since about a month ago to me

#14 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul said:

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Finesse_ said:

@Vrakmul: Hoping you guys could give me an answer to that one.

We've been having in team fights and disagreements on ideas since about a month ago to me

I'll see what I can do.

#15 Posted by Daedalus_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I don't care about canon. I'm of the opinion that if it's a good idea, roll with it, and if it contradicts something just consider it out of synch or taking place at a different time.

#16 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daedalus_ said:

Yeah, I don't care about canon. I'm of the opinion that if it's a good idea, roll with it, and if it contradicts something just consider it out of synch or taking place at a different time.

And it's attitudes like yours that make it nigh on impossible for me to invite any friends over to here.

#17 Posted by Daedalus_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@Daedalus_ said:

And it's attitudes like yours that make it nigh on impossible for me to invite any friends over to here.

Oh, geez, that's real nice.

I didn't say I ignored canon, I said I didn't CARE about it. There's a huge difference.

#18 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@Daedalus_ said:

No offense, but we're fine now without your friends

#19 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daedalus_ said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Daedalus_ said:

Oh, geez, that's real nice.

I didn't say I ignored canon, I said I didn't CARE about it. There's a huge difference.

And you're stating this in a thead about the discussion of Vine canon why? It'd be like going into a thread about politics and saying "lol i don't care about politics lulz." You contribute nothing.

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Daedalus_ said:

No offense, but we're fine now without your friends

The more the merrier. Plus outside of Warsie I don't have many people I'd call friends here ((Not since Sparda left anyway... huuu ;_;)) It'd be nice to have some other people I can talk to in a context outside of just being fellow role players.

#20 Edited by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: *points to the RPG tag* The vine is an open place, they can always come here and have discussions not involving RPing with you without having to RP.

And You can always make friends here ya know, it's not impossible

#21 Posted by Daedalus_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: You completely ignored the real part of my statement:

If it's a good idea, roll with it, and if it contradicts something just consider it out of synch or taking place at a different time.

The big companies do this all the time. Rather than having EVERYTHING happening at once, different comics take place during different time frames. This allows for more than one thing to happen without HAVING to incorporate some big event. This is especially good for smaller RPGs, to which I am partial.

Alternatively NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CANON.

You realize I'm not some random noob, right?

#22 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91 said:

@Vrakmul: *points to the RPG tag* The vine is an open place, they can always come here and have discussions not involving RPing with you without having to RP.

And You can always make friends here ya know, it's not impossible

New people find me scary and I've got a lot of baggage with the older viners that means I prefer to just stay acquaintances with them. And most of my friends are role players so it'd be kind of pointless to bring them in for just genchat (not many are exactly into comic books either, much like I am), the cesspool that is Battles, or just off-topic goofiness.

@Daedalus_ said:

@Vrakmul: You completely ignored the real part of my statement:

If it's a good idea, roll with it, and if it contradicts something just consider it out of synch or taking place at a different time.

The big companies do this all the time. Rather than having EVERYTHING happening at once, different comics take place during different time frames. This allows for more than one thing to happen without HAVING to incorporate some big event. This is especially good for smaller RPGs, to which I am partial.

Alternatively NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CANON.

You realize I'm not some random noob, right?

An even those companies tend to have guidelines so that you can make a sensible plot out of the various story arcs. Even if they're not exactly great at enforcing it.

As for the last point, you do realize I don't particularly care as to how long you've been around right?

#23 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: Dude, you don't have to agree with other's opinions, but please be respectful toward other users. Your viewpoint is not necessarily the right one, and you need to be willing to listen to what other people think.

<--Daedalus...I think I hit the post limit for the day with that account.

#24 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: I must've built up an immunity to veteran fear gas. :P

Not sure what to tell you, I like some of what you mentioned earlier, but understand people haven't been exactly in an outcry about the vine, It's safe to say we're all having fun, but yes there could be improvements. However this is still the vine, and things go the way only the vine can go, and I like the individuality of this forum. So some things get lost in the shuffle it happens.

#25 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: Dude, you don't have to agree with other's opinions, but please be respectful toward other users. Your viewpoint is not necessarily the right one, and you need to be willing to listen to what other people think.

<--Daedalus...I think I hit the post limit for the day with that account.

I apologize if my tone came off as disrespectful, but I've been getting frustrated with getting some of my experienced role playing buddies into here since they're taken aback by the lack of continuity and in their words "the over abundance of mary sues."

#26 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: Dude, this is a different site. This is just how we play here. If they don't like it, they don't have to join. It's that simple. The more the merrier, but there's no reason to make people come to a site where they're unhappy.

#27 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: Dude, this is a different site. This is just how we play here. If they don't like it, they don't have to join. It's that simple. The more the merrier, but there's no reason to make people come to a site where they're unhappy.

True but I can't even get my hubbie involved. :_;

#28 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: There is no rule that says that one's significant other has to like the same websites.

#29 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: There is no rule that says that one's significant other has to like the same websites.

I feel that if I have to help with his role plays he should at least give a little help with mine.

#30 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@Icarusflies said:

I feel that if I have to help with his role plays he should at least give a little help with mine.

Again, that's a personal thing. It should not necessarily be factored into how an entire site culture should work.

#31 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Icarusflies said:

Again, that's a personal thing. It should not necessarily be factored into how an entire site culture should work.

Would bringing one guy in seriously affect culture that much? Maybe I've just deacclimatized to the vine too much.

#32 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: The issue is not that you want to bring him in, the problem is that you want to change how the site works in order to bring him in. Which again, in itself is not a problem, but I do not believe (though I may be mistaken) you've actually given ideas as to HOW to make the site better yet.

#33 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul said:

@Icarusflies said:

Would bringing one guy in seriously affect culture that much? Maybe I've just deacclimatized to the vine too much.

you went from saying it was about continuity, then your friends joining, then your husband, your logic somewhat works but your motive is questionable. Maybe if your husband comes on and voices his personal opinion with you it would help rather than having to third-hand his ideas.

#34 Posted by Akube (846 posts) - - Show Bio

Not everything that happens has to be referenced. It can still be considered in an individual character's canon if they choose it to be, even if nobody brings it up again, especially smaller events. Godhood took a toll on Longshot, and I'll have him bring it up again. You'd be surprised, more often than not, when you bring up events in character, people will just play along.

#35 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Akube said:

Not everything that happens has to be referenced. It can still be considered in an individual character's canon if they choose it to be, even if nobody brings it up again, especially smaller events. Godhood took a toll on Longshot, and I'll have him bring it up again. You'd be surprised, more often than not, when you bring up events in character, people will just play along.

I completely agree with this statement.

#36 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: I sent you a PM, we can figure something out there, okay?

#37 Edited by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: The issue is not that you want to bring him in, the problem is that you want to change how the site works in order to bring him in. Which again, in itself is not a problem, but I do not believe (though I may be mistaken) you've actually given ideas as to HOW to make the site better yet.

Kurrent has a solution to create a simple designation system to designate which continuity a particular role play will follow. I'd suggest an addition of a null designation (-) to mark a role play as a one off with no wider effects. I have an idea after noticing that for all the hype that goes around them, events tend to have relatively little lasting impact, even for the people who participated in them. I mean, how many characters still carry baggage over from world war warsman? Not even warsman himself! Though to be fair, Warsie changes characters like the rest of us change clothes. Maybe one day he'll find one that'll stick but I'd put that as happening somewhere between the day pigs fly and the day shub-niggurath awakens from her black lair and swallows the sun.

So I've thought, we can continue to have normal, smaller scale events, but on occasion, whenever the Status Quo could do with some really big alterations, the veteran role players would come together and brainstorm up a big event and then bring in their teams, friends, and anyone they can and we'll make updating the vine universe page a community responsibility, ensuring that it always remains up to date so that no one becomes lost. Heck, I'll even start up a comic vine universe wiki to keep track of canon, my husband's done it for his role play, so why don't we get a slice of that wikia action?

Admittedly, I'm not sure how many people would be comfortable with me being Admin of said wiki. :B

#38 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: The issue with that is that it is EXTREMELY alienating to new RPGers...they might be highly skilled, motivated, and imaginative, but since they can't scrape up the 'Big Event' ranking they get ignored.

Also, many people (myself included) don't want their stories or characters in a wiki. Good idea in theory though.

#39 Edited by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: The issue with that is that it is EXTREMELY alienating to new RPGers...they might be highly skilled, motivated, and imaginative, but since they can't scrape up the 'Big Event' ranking they get ignored.

Also, many people (myself included) don't want their stories or characters in a wiki. Good idea in theory though.

We could go for a chinese parliament type thing where everyone gets a say in thinking out the next massive multiplayer crossover, thus everyone's needs are satisfied, though it may make planning very long, it'd be fair. As for the wiki, users can simply request to not have their stuff put up on a wiki, and I can enforce that as Beaurocrat...God Damn it I can NEVER spell that word. D:<

#40 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: That's considerably better, and better thought out RPGs are good anyway.

As for the wiki, as long as everyone gets a say on whether their characters/stories are put up that's fine. I will say that the default should be NOT added rather than added (AKA, ask before adding).

#41 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@Icarusflies said:

We could go for a chinese parliament type thing where everyone gets a say in thinking out the next massive multiplayer crossover, thus everyone's needs are satisfied, though it may make planning very long, it'd be fair. As for the wiki, users can simply request to not have their stuff put up on a wiki, and I can enforce that as Beaurocrat...God Damn it I can NEVER spell that word. D:<

My friend, that was my exact intention when I made this thread ;)

#42 Posted by Shanana (52932 posts) - - Show Bio

We could create a brand new planet 

We could have our Reality Warpers, suspend current continuity creating some sort of alternate world for a while idk.

#43 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vrakmul

@Finesse_ said:

I don't care for this idea at all.
#44 Posted by _Cain_ (23645 posts) - - Show Bio

Oooh I'd do this! XD Maybe it could be a weekly thing like they did in the general discussion forums, But about RPG?

#45 Edited by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: That's considerably better, and better thought out RPGs are good anyway.

As for the wiki, as long as everyone gets a say on whether their characters/stories are put up that's fine. I will say that the default should be NOT added rather than added (AKA, ask before adding).

Right, I'll go ahead and start up the wiki with my husband's wikia account. Here we go!

Funny, I'm making a wiki for a site that is in theory, a wiki at it's heart.

http://comicvineroleplay.wikia.com/wiki/Comic_Vine_Roleplay_Wiki

And I've done it, feel free to make articles for your stuff, obviously as the creator of the site I kind of give permission for my stuff by default. :B

#46 Edited by _Zombie_ (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@Vrakmul

@Finesse_ said:

I agree with this. People shouldn't be forced, bribed, or given 'incentives' to follow continuity to the letter unless they feel that it suits their writing style. Some roleplays benefit from being a little removed, or from having an ambiguous spot on the timeline. Also, suggesting that only the 'veteran' roleplayers should be brought into the planning process bothers me. As if other roleplayers, potentially those of lesser experience, shouldn't be allowed to have input on the planning because they haven't been here as long as other people.

#47 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Vrakmul

@Finesse_ said:

I agree with this. People shouldn't be forced, bribed, or given 'incentives' to follow continuity to the letter unless they feel that it suits their writing style. Some roleplays benefit from being a little removed, or from having an ambiguous spot on the timeline.

I've already dropped the idea in favour of chinese parliament planning.

#48 Posted by Icarusflies (12468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul: Excellent.

#49 Posted by _Zombie_ (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vrakmul said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Vrakmul

@Finesse_ said:

I agree with this. People shouldn't be forced, bribed, or given 'incentives' to follow continuity to the letter unless they feel that it suits their writing style. Some roleplays benefit from being a little removed, or from having an ambiguous spot on the timeline.

I've already dropped the idea in favour of chinese parliament planning.

Ah, very well then. Reading it over, it does sound like a better idea.

#50 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Vrakmul: Excellent.