This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by _Sparrow_ (630 posts) - - Show Bio

When handed Paradise, do you rule with Force or Weakness?

Cael Van Dorado
The former pirate captain, Marxizo Albarran, had been placed into an unorthodox set of events. He had become a ruler over the centuries of his seemingly immortal life, and had no idea what to do. On one side, he hated the government in Spain, it was the main reason he became a pirate, with no man hanging over his head and giving him orders. On the other side, he didn't want to let his name be completely wiped from history and this new race of his fall apart. He dug into his faded mind, for some way to make this work for him. He soon recalled of a type of government discussed by some group of philosophers who names evaded him. A republic. 

He wanted to let the people have the power they deserved. He was of course, somewhat greedy in modifying the idea of a republic to aid him. He told his people that he would rule until his death, which was already confirmed to not be coming anytime soon. Aside from this, he was a fair ruler. The economy stayed stable, and he gave the people what they wanted. Since they were a roughly made society, they didn't ask for much.

Soon, like any true governmental leader, Marxizo began having the urge to expand past one city. He began accompanying settler groups through the ocean. He settled beneath the Antarctic, within caves just under the Great Barrier Reef. He settled cities deep in underwater volcanoes, creating a primitive version of thermal energy. But this wasn't enough for him. He recalled the land, and the great empires that were built in the soil. So, he began experimenting, he eventually adapted most of his populace to oxygen. He then set out, like the founders of the Americas, to build colonies in new lands. Lands above the waters. 

New El Dorado

Marxizo ventured across the lands, but never went past the coast. He soon met men of the lands, who surprisingly weren't surprised, saying they had "seen stranger". Using resources at his disposal, the ruler bought some patches of land
across a few oceanic territories and set up colonies in these areas. Out of the way of the societies already there, they progressed quickly. Among the lands where they set up colonies, the Australian colony is by far the largest and most well known to the world. "New El Dorado" is what Marxizo named it, after he learned his mistakes about the original name. It populated quickly, and grew to it's maximum size within a single year. They began exploring the new possibilities given by land. More profitable farming, wider range in trading, and a huge advance in technology. 

The set up smaller colonies in Hawaii, Madagascar, New Zealand, Samoa, miscellaneous pacific islands, and Antarctica. These aren't nearly as important as New El Dorado.
#2 Edited by Legacy_ (10520 posts) - - Show Bio

But I give you props for participation =P

#3 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by agentxx (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@Closure said:

But I give you props for participation =P

#5 Posted by Legacy_ (10520 posts) - - Show Bio

@agentxx:

I said good job :)

#6 Posted by agentxx (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@Closure:

#7 Posted by _Sparrow_ (630 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: I know the rules. Which one did I break?
#8 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sparrow_of_Aces said:

@Gambler: I know the rules. Which one did I break?

Didnt you just colonize and rename Australia? Along with several other territories or are these informal colonies?

@Lady_Liberty said:

In short if you have any significant control over territory inside the solar system then you have an empire.

Its sounds like you have substantial control but maybe as informal colonies it doesnt apply? I'm asking cause I dont know.

#9 Edited by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: No, I simply bought enough land for single cities on the island-esque places mentioned. One city per specific area mentioned. Not really Imperial.
#10 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: Doesnt have to be "Imperial" simply substantial ownership of territory. "Empire" is just a loose terminology not the literal interpretation. Owning cities in half a dozen places Australia included? (is that where New El Dorado is?) Dont you think that qualifies as substantial ownership of territory? Not trying to be a d!ck dude, just trying to curve the land grabbing epidemic.

#11 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: One city in a unpopulated Hawaiian island, one small city in Samoa, several small villages on several small and most likely unnamed islands deep in the ocean, one large city (New El Dorado) in Australia, one smaller city in New Zealand, a very small village in the Antarctic, and a small colony on Madagascar. Al that land together would probably form a country the size of Iraq, and that's pushing it. I have conquered no countries and have not disrupted any of the country's activities- these are simply small colonial cities and villages on the coast, where small chunks of land were bought for the building of these cities.
#12 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: Alirght cool man. Forget I said anything :)

#13 Edited by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:

And this guy, with a greasy mullet, IS?
#14 Posted by Legacy_ (10520 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: I'm the cooliest. Now go away =P

#15 Posted by Akube (846 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_ said:

@Closure said:

And this guy, with a greasy mullet, IS?

The guy who lost the Bandari Games.

#16 Edited by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

This very clearly qualifies as an Empire under the new rules :-)

It does not, however, fulfill the new requirements to be a canon empire. Which is fine! It just means that until such a time as the Mythocara Republic meets those requirements its not canon to Vine Verse Prime.

That may very well be what's intended here! I didn't see anything about an alternate reality or anything, but maybe I missed it ;-)

#17 Edited by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sparrow_of_Aces:

When can I expect a Fish War?

#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: Don't you talk crap about CM Punk -___-

#19 Edited by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty: This is indeed in Vine Prime, but it is indeed in no way an Empire.

It's a collection of cities and villages. Colonies. How that qualifies as a empire I'll never know.
#20 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_ said:

It's a collection of cities and villages. Colonies. How that qualifies as a empire I'll never know.

It qualifies as "owning substantial land." I think you're getting hung up on the word Empire as opposed to what the actual rule is intended to prevent. Land grabbing. Did you grab land? Yes. Did you follow the new set of guidelines for establishing land ownership? Nope. I explained it pretty thoroughly and even gave you a specific section of the rules that precisely addressed this.

@Lady_Liberty said:

Empire Creation Rules

What counts as an Empire? Do you govern land, dictating political policies, controlling a countries natural resources and or borders? Have you replaced a countries army with your own, or do you possess an army? In short if you have any significant control over territory inside the solar system then you have an empire.

Here it is again.

#21 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: The word 'Empires' was selected because it was a common term. We define it inside the 'What counts as an Empire' section of the rules.

By the definition provided this is an empire, and thus subject to those rules :-)

#22 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: @Lady_Liberty
I just looked at the rules again. I didn't break any of them. I gave several warnings that I was going to be doing this, before these new rules were put in place. No one replied.
#23 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: You may notice a section in the rules that explains the process.

The first step is to create an OOC for the Empire that you wish to create. As your not taking anything someone else already owns this OOC only has to be open for three days. But it does have to exist and be on the RPG forum, otherwise many who might wish to oppose your empire creation ICly don't get the chance.

The second step is wait for a mod to look though the OOC and just check that the rules have been followed and there are no outstanding issues. If they find everything is in order they will edit the original post with a message to that effect. That means your empire creation is offical vine canon!

Step three is to have the RPG where your empire gets created. That's important, you can't just declare things are yours anymore. There has to be RP where anyone who wants to be involved can oppose you are assist you.

After that, if your victorious (or no one opposes you) then you have a canon Empire :-)

#24 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty: Then what was that sh#t about the alternate universe you were talking about?
#25 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: There is a canon vine universe, known as Vine Verse Prime. To have an canon empire inside that universe you must follow the rules posted above.

Empires which are in alternate universe obviously do not count. Or magical realms, or whatever. Only physical locations inside the solar system of the Vine Verse Prime universe.

#26 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty: But I DID follow the rules.
#27 Posted by Ghostalt (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_:GOD MODDER!

#28 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: I explained the process above.

First you must create an OOC thread explaining that you are going to create an empire, and it will consist of X, Y, and Z territories. Then you must allow three days for anyone interested to respond. They might wish to contest your empires claim to those territories, or whatever. Some people might want to help. It doesn't really matter they just have to be given the chance.

Then you wait for a moderator to look over the OOC, and approve it. They will leave a message to that affect.

Then you create an RPG in which the Empire is created. This might be a standard RPG, or it might be a battle if people want to oppose you.

Then if you win you get a canon empire.

Please feel free to ask questions about any part of that that you need clarified!

#29 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ghostalt: Ju zemëruar?
#30 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty: Your the one that seems confused here. It clearly says the first step is to make an OOC. This is an OOC.
#31 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_ said:

@Lady_Liberty: Your the one that seems confused here. It clearly says the first step is to make an OOC. This is an OOC.

Where does it say that? Where does it say anything about this being an OOC? How would a reasonable person tell this is an OOC?

Secondly you've written stuff in past tense. As if the empire is already set up. Which makes it appear that its already created, not that you are undertaking the first step to created one.

I'm glad your creating one within the framework of the rules, but consider editing your OP with a message that this is the OOC, and that people who want to oppose this empire ICly need to speak up.

#32 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty: I'm done with this. Have a mod delete it. I honestly don't give half a f#ck.
#33 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: Alrighty then.

#34 Posted by _Higgins_ (2990 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_ said:

@Lady_Liberty: I'm done with this. Have a mod delete it. I honestly don't give half a f#ck.

#35 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't flag myself. Huh.

#36 Posted by omegablast452 (2425 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ash_Walmer said:

@_Punk_ said:

this ^

#37 Posted by Icarusflies (12485 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: I'll lock this for you, but if you change your mind let me know.