Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Vici_Aurelius

Prelude

Vici twirled a knife gently with his forefingers, feeling the cold steel make small cuts in the air as it twisted gently between his fingers. The twelve-year-old Aurelius suddenly tensed his wrist, sending the tip of the small blade into his desk. It quivered in the wood for a moment, next to all the other marks that had been made upon it. Gently, he picked the mask back up, brushing off a little dust from one of the lenses. He smiled at it, turning it over in his hands. Soft, red velvet lined the interior, disguising its true nature. He gently touched the side, watching the small springs twist and turn. He pressed a small switch right above the earhole, and was elated to watch the lenses magnify.

Like little telescopes for my eyes! he thought happily, placing the small mask on his face. He looked up at the wall, using his finger to zoom in on one of the many sketches that had been nailed up. Da Vinci would be proud. A boyish grin covered his face as he removed the mask, holding it delicately. He'd worked on it for a little over a year, fine-tuning it every night to make sure the gears clicked together perfectly. His fingers trembled slightly as he left his room holding his treasure, preparing for the trial that would make him a true member of their family.

Before

He was shaking. He wasn't supposed to be shaking. He'd been training since before he could remember for this day. The chasm was open, a black pit from which no light seemed to escape. He'd said his goodbyes to the family, promising them that he'd be back soon enough. He'd laughed a confident laugh, showing off the mask to his family. They'd passed it around, admiring the handiwork and the attention to detail. They'd given it back to him, wishing him luck as he set off for the site of the family's historical trial. They'd accepted that he be allowed to take it with him, a reward for all the hard work he'd put into crafting it. Other than that, he wore only a loose shirt and a pair of trousers, with small sandals on his feet. Shuddering, he placed the mask on his face, before descending into the darkness.

It's cold, he thought, feeling the air rush over his skin. This was a trial that was supposed to test his resolve. He'd been warned that it would be dangerous, that it would push him to his limit. He thought he'd be prepared. Sweat began to roll down his face despite the coolness of the air. Wisps of breath emanated from the faceplate, floating up around him. His eyes darted back and forth, slowly adjusting to the incredibly low light. It was his job to reach the center of the ruins, to guide himself on a quest to find what his uncle had described as a pit of water. He was to bathe in it, and be granted the same power that they'd all shared. But so far, he felt as though he hadn't even reached the ruins. All he that he felt were the sharp rocks lining the walls, and damp moss dripping condensation on his body.

It's not supposed to be this dark, he thought, remembering the old stories that his family would tell. And there are supposed to be...things. Things to fight, they said. He scrambled over rocks, trying to feel his way along the tunnel. He seemed to be in a maze now, running his hand along the wall. He knew an old trick about how to solve mazes...keep one hand on the wall at all times, and you'll eventually reach the center. He'd been walking for a while now, feeling the disgusting mess of water and moss on the ancient ruins. Sometimes he'd stumble, catching himself with ninja-like reflexes before he hit the ground; but soon, he began to grow tired, walking slowly instead of crisply. A few times, he just let himself fall, pulling back up rather than exerting the energy to catch himself.

He was starting to get hungry.

Three Days Later

...nnnnnng...

This was what passed for a coherent thought for Vici Aurelius. His legs were bloody with little scratches, and his stomach felt as though it was tearing itself apart out of hunger. He'd lost track of time, and his throat was dry with rabid thirst. Occasionally, he'd pull his faceplate up, licking the walls to collect what little condensation he was able to on his tongue. Twice, he lay in a ball, clutching at his stomach. He'd stay that way for nearly an hour before standing up to recommence his painful trek through the darkness.

He still couldn't see too well. The sounds of the crypt had grown, but there was nothing notable to speak of. Merely dripping water, small drops splashing against the ground repetitively. He'd grown to despise the sound, exhaling loudly whenever he heard the drip drip of water touching the stone floor. He gritted his teeth, the taste of his own saliva nearly worse than the stomach cramps. He had yet to encounter anything living. They all said that there would be foes to face, demons of some sort. ...some fancy way of saying inner demons? Stupid...stupid, stupid, stupid...no, no...Marte has scars from his trial...where are mine? Where are my enemies? Where are they?

He stumbled into a more open room, hitting the floor face first. He didn't have the strength to catch himself as he fell, hearing the clink of his mask as it broke the stone ground. He didn't get back up, merely laying on the ground, sobbing softly.

Another Day Passes

He'd taken to crawling. It was a far more energy efficient way to move. He felt every contraction of his muscles, his heart screaming for him to stop. He hadn't had anything to eat in quite some time, and his body was starting to give up on him. A few times he'd nearly fallen asleep, but he remembered his relatives' warnings that to sleep was to court death during the trial. They made mention of the things that lived in the pits coming out to devour them in their sleep, claws ripping at the flesh, rending them in twain, killing every last one...

...wait...but how would they get out to talk about it, then...he wondered gently, then reminded himself to stop thinking. It was far too strenuous. Dirt-caked fingers pulled him along the passageway, feeling out the inscriptions on the floor. His clothes had been run ragged, and it seemed like every bit of skin on his body had been broken open. The lenses on his mask shifted and twisted, gears spinning silently and methodically. No matter what magnification they were at, he could still barely see. Most areas of the cavern were black as pitch.

Viiiiiiciii, the abyss is looking into yooooou, he thought to himself, before cracking a very weak smile.

Why am I smiling?

Some Time Later

He'd stopped moving for a while, merely laying in place. He was far too dehydrated to cry, having since reached a part of the ruins that was nearly devoid of condensation. He thought he heard drums coming from the far ends of the tunnels, a low, mournful bass beat. He wanted to sing, but his cracked, dry throat wouldn't let him. Vici's pulse started to quicken as a high-pitched noise filled the tunnels, echoing off of every surface. It seemed to go on forever, a hellish chorus that ripped at his thoughts. Then he realized what it was.

Beetles.

They scrambled over him, pinchers clicking. He thrashed, adrenaline blowing life into the dying furnace of his body. His fingers dug into the ground as he pulled himself along, scrambling to his feet. He tried to run, limping blindly through the pitch black tunnels. Blood poured from dozens of bites, his skin shredded by the swarm of bugs. There were hundreds, no, thousands. Wings carried them through the cavern, their spiky carapaces tearing into him as he lumbered through the crypt screaming.

Suddenly, there was no ground beneath his feet. He felt himself fall, tumbling through the air as he left the cloud of bugs behind. He felt himself land in an enormous pool, somehow warm in all the cool air. It clung to his skin like blood, stinging every last cut and scrape. He didn't have the energy to save himself, drifting slowly to the bottom of the dark pool. It smelled of metal, but was sparkling slightly, despite the lack of any light source. He splashed wildly, the water running over the sides of the pool. It sloshed into his mouth, seeping into his body. He gave up, feeling himself die, hands twitching, lenses of his mask twisting and turning mechanically.

Slowly, the liquid stopped moving, returning to its gentle state, the masked corpse of a child drifting slowly to the bottom.

Years Later

He couldn't scream. His mouth was open behind the dull metal faceplate, but no noise came forth. Stricken mute. He clawed at his throat, searching for a voice that was not his. Alas, he made no sound.

He'd spent enough time crying about it. Slowly, he began to move, drawing himself out of the watery pit that had been his grave. No, no, he'd never died...he'd left. He'd been somewhere else, and now he was back. He stared down at his hands. They were aglow with eerie light for a mere moment, and then they had returned to normal. He cocked his head to the side slightly, finally forming a coherent thought for the first time in years.

I'm alive, he said. Wait, no, thought. But he had said it, aloud...he felt his lips move, and he'd heard himself clear as day. I'm not hungry, he said next, experimentally moving his fingers back and forth. He stood straighter, feeling the ground beneath his feet. He squinted his eyes, smelling the air. Smells like blood, he thought, knitting his brow. Oh wait, that must be me. Or is it? Is it the pool? He walked over to the large, sparkling pool. Hmm. Interesting.

Nor am I thirsty, he realized, licking his lips. Yes, he still had a tongue, but was unable to form any words. A problem to be addressed later, he decided. He cracked his neck, walking out of the pit and into a long, detailed corridor. He was able to see quite clearly, marching stoically from the cavernous room into the collection of ruins. He took long strides, arms, moving rhythmically for the first time in forever. He felt young, energized.

Hey, my mask still works! he thought. Gently, he moved the lenses back and forth, admiring once more the work he put into it. What was even more notable was that he didn't need to use his fingers to touch the dials. He merely thought about moving them, and they went to work. Experimentally, he drew a small rock into his hand, clutching it in his palm. He released it, watching it fly into a wall at the end of the corridor, exploding into pieces. He tilted his head to the side. Fun.

He could feel the world around him. He caressed the stone walls without using his hands, feeling every surface as though it were a part of his body. Gently, he stepped through one of the pillars, feeling himself become intangible. He smiled, jumping through walls into new chasms, letting go of rocks and watching them drop through his feet, and making them rotate around his hand like a circus performer juggling balls. It felt glorious, but also lonely. He had no idea how long he kept this up for. Why, it felt like forever had passed since he'd even stepped out of the pit. It was then that he remembered his family.

Oh, his family. The rocks fell to the ground, and the cavern grew silent once more. Fingers clenched experimentally, forming fists for mere seconds before growing limp again. His eyes went from being warm and jubilant to stone cold in an instant.

They didn't come get me. They didn't tell me the truth about this place. Liars. His breathing quickened, chest rising and falling as his eyes narrowed behind his grey mask. He cracked his neck once more, pacing back and forth.

Why? Why, why, why? Why me? Either they lied, or my trial was different. WHY?

Heat moved throughout his veins as the small tunnel he was in shuddered. Winds gathered around him, agitated, ripping at his form. His fingers shook, and he realized his eye was twitching slightly.

I want out of this cave, he thought, taking a deep breath. He felt his atoms move apart, linked together by only his mind. They weren't in the cave anymore, tethered there only by his soul. He was a pale phantasm for a mere thirty seconds, visible only in the minds of others. He stepped through cave wall and dripping ceiling, clawing his way through an alternate plane. It resembled our own in every way, except that there, he could peer through stone, and walk through rock as effortlessly as one swims through water. He rematerialized, finally coming to the mouth of the cavern. It was then, however, that he felt something unique.

Another mind, he realized. The mind of a child, one about to begin their trial. They stood at the entrance, preparing to brave the depths that had taken Vici in and returned him a new man. He felt their thoughts, their worries. They felt wonderful.

Your mind tastes like nectar,he spoke, softly passing by the child. It was a subliminal message, sent peacefully to the cautious Aurelius, as if to say "You'll be alright." They wouldn't understand the sudden feeling of calm that would pass over them, but the message would be clear enough. Passing stealthily through the rock wall next to them, he saw sunlight for the first time in years.

Mmmm...that's nice, he thought. He slowly lifted the mask off his face, drinking in the yellow rays. He smiled slightly, then remembered his family.

Time for a little reunion.

He looked down, pondering all that had happened to him. He was now an Aurelius. He had his Abilities. Now all he needed was a name.

I move without body. I speak without voice. I am Vincenzo Aurelio..the Mind Scarab, he thought triumphantly.

Yes, yes, yessss...that does sound nice...

No Caption Provided

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always been a fan of your writing. This was truly an entertaining read. Very polished and refined stuff.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@la_espada: Thanks man :)

We keep saying that the family's going to have its day soon, but we've not been actually doing much, so I thought I'd stir something up.

Avatar image for arthur_macgargan
Arthur_MacGargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, you should write fan-fic man.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthur_macgargan: I'd rather use my own characters than some other writer's. (Isn't that what fan-fic is, or have I messed that up?)

Avatar image for arthur_macgargan
Arthur_MacGargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vici_aurelius: De nada :)

I'm sure that day will be soon. All it really takes is one thing for people to really get behind an idea or concept. And with writing as good as yours, its an inevitability. Because honestly, your writing style is in the top three best of all time that I've seen here so far.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@la_espada: Dude, that means so much coming from you, especially. Likewise, I learned a lot about how to write here just from reading your stuff, especially about how to sell things.

@arthur_macgargan Maybe I'll give it a shot. I do like the collaboration aspect of the RPG forum a lot too.

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vici_aurelius: Happy to serve as a form of inspiration for someone I believe will be in the HoF one day. Half of the reason I joined the KoV was to fight you, LOL.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@la_espada: Now that would be exciting. My fingers're now crossed for us two to be the last round in the KOV.

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@la_espada: Good luck with your fight, hope to see you in the last round!

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This is really good read.

Avatar image for arceus_aurelius-rex
Arceus_Aurelius-Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vici_aurelius: I guess we've all gotta write up our origin stories now, and chances are they're probably going to pale in comparison to yours. You did great Vici, it really was an awesome read!

I just hope I can find a way to measure up now... ||lo_ol||

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arceus_aurelius-rex: Thanks man :)

I just did it cuz Dante did his, don't act like this was my idea or anything.

Dante_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arceus_aurelius-rex: Thanks man :)

I just did it cuz Dante did his, don't act like this was my idea or anything.

You took my idea and perfected it dude! Amazing writing once again! I'm really glad you decided to bring Vici back and with badass entrance!