This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a copyright thread on any specific information regarding your character that you don't want copied/Stolen.

Where people can call a specific idea and claim it as their own. Nothin general like titles or roles in the Nu or Prime, but specific points about your character and their history, motives, specific weapons, personal inventions

Example: I came up with a Native American Herald of a Powhatan god. If somebody uses that it's obvious where they got it from, with a post in this thread copyrighting it I have proof of the fact.

#2 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19384 posts) - - Show Bio

...I don't know how I feel about this thread?

#3 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

80 pound wedge blades (c)

Metal plated bullet proof coats (c)

The Consortium (c)

Badass Rogues Gallery (c)

HERESY! *BLAM* [as a reaction] (c)

#4 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither do I but it's up

#5 Edited by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

I dib everything else, make your move Vine...

#6 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tellumo said:

I dib everything, make your move Vine...

Glad I called 80 pound wedge blades before this post.

#7 Posted by Ren_ (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, I think I like this...

#8 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sideslash: Now to change it to 'everthing else' before somebody realises I cheated...

#9 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what to think of this thread. Calling "dibs" on an idea is rather childish in my opinion, no offence of course. I don't think this is the way to solve certain problems. Just my two cents.

#10 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tellumo: Now to change mine to include other things! Muahahahahahaha!

#11 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sideslash: Truly a dark cycle... O.o

#12 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tellumo said:

@Sideslash: Truly a dark cycle... O.o

Quite. An elegant dance of violence, aggression, and deceit. But mostly violence.

#13 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Ajax.: So...just complain about it?

#14 Posted by Izaiah (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

If I can retroactively call dibs on something that was already hijacked, I'd like to reclaim Setekh's 'Desert King' title :p

#15 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say I am a writer, can I use my characters that I made on the RPG forums in one of my stories(as long as I post them here)?

#16 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1 said:

Let's just say I am a writer, can I use my characters that I made on the RPG forums in one of my stories(as long as I post them here)?

Dude, they're your characters. Use em however you want.

I've written (by hand), my characters killing each other more than once.

#17 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Evander_Slade

No, that is not what I'm saying at all. I've had my own personal problems on several different accounts with people taking my own ideas, practically word for word most times. Instead of sooking like a twelve year old girl and complaining, I simply confronted the individual in a courteous and professional way.

Creating a thread so people can "copyright" ideas will not stop others from taking those ideas...in other words, just because somebody claims an idea in this thread, what is to keep somebody from stealing that idea? It's a rhetorical question by the way.

#18 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@Izaiah: You gotta take that up with Z :P

@joeagentofhand1: Yeah. It's yours, do whatever you want with your own characters you don't need to post it here. This is more like insurance on your characters specific key points

#19 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Ajax. said:

@Evander_Slade

No, that is not what I'm saying at all. I've had my own personal problems on several different accounts with people taking my own ideas, practically word for word most times. Instead of sooking like a twelve year old girl and complaining, I simply confronted the individual in a courteous and professional way.

Creating a thread so people can "copyright" ideas will not stop others from taking those ideas...in other words, just because somebody claims an idea in this thread, what is to keep somebody from stealing that idea? It's a rhetorical question by the way.

Who said it was to stop them? People can make what they want, and add what they want to the copyright list. it's your call whether it's a ripoff of the idea you posted, this is a backup in case that person tries to say they had the idea long before you. This isn't a roadblock it's a deterant

#20 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Evander_Slade

Alright than, fair enough. But why do I need to post key ideas and things to do with my character here, when I can simply put that in my bio?

Like I understand that this will "archive" the information, but after awhile keeping track of all that information is going to be difficult. Like if this thread reached 500 pages for example, and somebody has an idea on page 147. I come up with a very similar idea with no knowledge of their idea (which happens quite a bit), I'm not going to look back through 500 pages to see if somebody had that idea.

I do agree that it is a good start however and I commend you for it. The only problem with the rp section that I've ever had is idea stealing, this will certainly help, however it is not without it's flaws (like anything) of course.

I think a great fix would be to add some sort of "log" to every bodies accounts where you could actually log ideas or whatever you wish to put there and it's all given a date and such. But chances of that happening are pretty well slim to none.

#21 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Ajax.: That's what I meant by copyright list, I was already planning to add them ten at a time to the OP

#22 Posted by Frenemy (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Ajax. said:

@Evander_Slade

Alright than, fair enough. But why do I need to post key ideas and things to do with my character here, when I can simply put that in my bio?

Like I understand that this will "archive" the information, but after awhile keeping track of all that information is going to be difficult. Like if this thread reached 500 pages for example, and somebody has an idea on page 147. I come up with a very similar idea with no knowledge of their idea (which happens quite a bit), I'm not going to look back through 500 pages to see if somebody had that idea.

I do agree that it is a good start however and I commend you for it. The only problem with the rp section that I've ever had is idea stealing, this will certainly help, however it is not without it's flaws (like anything) of course.

I think a great fix would be to add some sort of "log" to every bodies accounts where you could actually log ideas or whatever you wish to put there and it's all given a date and such. But chances of that happening are pretty well slim to none.

Maybe ideas posted can be edited into the OP. Would that help? :D

#23 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Evander_Slade @Frenemy

The OP will eventually get exceptionally large after awhile. It'll work for a bit but give it time and there will be a lot of info collected there given the amount of characters on the vine. That's assuming this thread will catch on of course.

#24 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Ajax.:

Forums » RPG » The Dibs ThreadReply to Topic

HISTORY FAVORITES ONLINE PREFERENCES

The Dibs Thread

Topic started by Evander_Slade on Feb. 9, 2013. Last post by .Ajax. 4 minutes ago.

Post by Evander_Slade (84 posts) See mini bioLevel 9
Online Now

@.Ajax.: That's what I meant by copyright list, I was already planning to add them ten at a time to the OP

Posted 7 minutes ago
Post by Frenemy (731 posts) See mini bioLevel 22
Online Now
FollowSend a PM

@.Ajax. said:

@Evander_Slade

Maybe ideas posted can be edited into the OP. Would that help? :D

Posted 7 minutes ago
Post by .Ajax. (1,377 posts) See mini bioLevel 13

@Evander_Slade @Frenemy

The OP will eventually get exceptionally large after awhile. It'll work for a bit but give it time and there will be a lot of info collected there given the amount of characters on the vine. That's assuming this thread will catch on of course.

Posted 4 minutes agoReply | Quote | Flag
#25 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Evander_Slade

I had no idea you could do that hahaha. Looks like you have it figured out! Good luck to you with it than!

You know have a new title, The Vine's Chief Archiver. Haha :P

#26 Posted by Icarusflies (12491 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking someone's ideas actually amounts to copyright theft. You own your character's unique abilities and their history. If someone steals that, legal action can actually be taken.

#27 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Taking someone's ideas actually amounts to copyright theft. You own your character's unique abilities and their history. If someone steals that, legal action can actually be taken.

My reaction reading that.

#28 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies

Perhaps somebody should be a lawyer around here lol.

#29 Posted by Icarusflies (12491 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sideslash: There is almost NOTHING I am stricter about than copyright theft. If you think I'm just blowing hot air, talk to the one user who I thought was taking my ideas once...

@.Ajax.: My dad's a copyright lawyer, soooo....

#30 Posted by Tranquil (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Don't let marvel see that...

#31 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Calling dibs on a super team being backed by a corporation.

#32 Posted by New_Grimm (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Ajax.:

#33 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Also dibs on spray paint.

#34 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Calling dibs on a super team being backed by a corporation.

The Consortium (check my bio)

*Breaks into the You Can't Touch This dance routine.*

#35 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies

Haha perfect!

Have a character on the vine that is a lawyer and than when somebody fights with another about an idea, we'll have an rp that resembles court haha.

#36 Posted by Surkit (11392 posts) - - Show Bio

Do me a favor and only put serious ones up, just so I don't have to go through them all

#37 Posted by Icarusflies (12491 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, I'm going to lock this thread since it's redundant and actually more likely to cause trouble due to actual coincidence than prevention of ideas. If you've used your character and posted with them, it's in your forum history. That's all dated and time stamped...if someone tries to claim that they came up with something first, you can show them that. As I said, creating a unique idea gives you creative copyright. If you have issues with a user or idea theft, come to me and I'll either help you work it out or suggest future action.