The Death Wish

Gloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Gloom

This is battle strictly between Aztek The Lost and myself, so please do not post if you were not asked to (which you weren't if you're not either one of us). :P

Time: Around midnight.

The battle shall begin soon.

Gloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gloom

A cold, chilling wind blew fallen leaves across the ground of the St. Martins cemetery, their rustling breaking the silence that surrounded the entire graveyard. Thick clouds covered the pitch black sky, moving slightly to reveal a nearly-full moon. Pale rays of lunar light were the only source of luminosity in the area, giving the numerous tombstones an eerie glow. Due to the slight light, a dark silhouette could be seen moving through the graveyard, dressed entirely in black.

~You're almost there. My grave is close by, I feel it.~

Katelyn Torres sighed and shivered in the cold night, rubbing her hands together in the vain hope of warming herself up. She was dressed entirely in black, a color that matched that of her hair and eyes, and so she looked more like a shadow than a human as she walked past more tombstones. For the past few days, she had been hearing the voice of a young boy's ghost, who wanted her help. The poor boy had been misidentified and buried under someone else's name, his family still didn't know he was dead. Desperate, he had contacted Kate, asking her for help in shedding light onto this whole situation.

Gloom shook her head, trying to ignore her migraine and to tune out the Voice of the Dead. The Voice, which was basically a mental bond to the infinity of spirits who had crossed over, manifested itself as constant whispers within her mind, which, after a while and much patience, she had grown used to. In this case, however, Kate was trying to focus on the little ghost's voice, which seemed drowned out by some stronger spirits'. Touched by his sad story, the young woman tried her best to ignore the words of the other phantoms and focus on his.

~It's not much further in front of you. In fact, it's-- Wait. Someone's coming!~

Katelyn felt a rush of adrenaline when she heard it. Someone was coming towards her? What sort of person would come to a cemetery at this time of night, especially with this cold? She felt very thankful that the boy had been able to warn her, which was an advantage of hearing the Voice of the Dead. Phantoms could bring her insight that she would never gain otherwise. Mind racing, Kate kept on wondering about the identity of the newcomer. Did this person have to do with the boy's murder? Or was it just some random visitor? Had the person seen her? Unsure what to do, Gloom crouched behind a cold, gray tombstone and decided to wait to see what would happen.

Whoever was coming was better not cause her trouble.

Gloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gloom

Katelyn Torres had seen some very weird things in her life. At a very young age, she realized she could see ghosts. She had discovered that she had the ability to manipulate shadows and use them to form shapes and constructs. She learned to read minds and catch glimpses of the past, and sometimes the future. Moreover, she had met some unusual people with any number of strange behaviors throughout her numerous foster families... but nothing she had ever seen was like this.

A man flew by, although it looked more like a shadow than a man. He was wearing a cloak that floated around in the cold, harsh breeze, but he did not seem to mind. On the contrary, he seemed very... focused, as if driven by a specific objective. The flying silhouette reached the ground and walked towards the Kate's hiding spot. At one point, however, the man disappeared in the shadows, and for the next few seconds there was nothing but a deadly, scary silence. Without even realizing it, the hidden woman held her breath. All stood still as nanoseconds crept by incredibly slowly, or so it seemed. Then the silhouette reappeared, much closer to Katelyn, too close for comfort, in fact. So far, she thought, she had managed to stay unnoticed... until the man spoke to her.

"So, are you going to come out girl...or will I simply have to kill you like I did your boyfriend?" His voice was as cold as the air in the cemetery, and it sent shivers down Kate's spine. Taken by surprise, the young necromancer realized it was useless to hide any more, and so she jumped from behind the tombstone and stood up, trying to look as tall and intimidating as possible. Her long, black hair blew in the wind and her cold, black stare made her look much more confident than she really was. As she had done so many times in her life, Katelyn decided to judge the man's intentions psionically, and so she used her psychic powers to reach into his mind. Instead of the short-term memories she usually found when performing such an operation, the woman was hit by a wave of powerful memories, too numerous to be true. There were dozens of lives' worth of memories, and all of them hit her at once, overlapping and overloading her psychic senses, which resulted in painful feedback. Gloom cringed slightly in sheer pain but tried her best to conceal it. A quick glance to her left confirmed to her the fact that the spirit of the young boy, Joey, was still there. But now that the man had appeared, the ghost's energy felt much weaker and unstable: he was obviously still scared of whoever it was that had appeared.

"I know what you did to that poor boy, and I know what you came here to do," Katelyn said, hoping the bluff would work. "I won't let you do it. Leave now or prepare to face your sins and encounter the wrath of the Dead!"

In Gloom's mind, the Voice of the Dead was stronger than ever. Hundreds of spirits whispered to her, secrets, truths and lies about her newfound enemy. The spirits seemed very excited, and something told Kate this wouldn't be anywhere near easy...

Gloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gloom
"If you run, no one will know, you can hide your shame...you can live a full life. I'll take care of the dead for you... Child, you hold a great power within you, but it is not enough to overcome me, if you truly want to live...you must run."

His cold words swept over Katelyn and she shivered. The careless way in which he addressed the Dead offended her, offended the dozens of people she had helped cross over already. Ignoring the villain's mixture of bragging and banter, she closed her fists and narrowed her eyes. Looking straight into the villain's eyes, she spoke with confidence.

"Run, huh? That's an idea..." and with that, she wrapped herself in shadows and vanished.

Katelyn reappeared about a mile high into the sky, wings of shadow beating silently behind her, keeping her aloft. The villain himself seemed to be able to manipulate and teleport through shadows, too, so she decided not to attack him directly with darkness, for fear that it would backfire. Instead, she summoned ten ghostly apparitions, who surrounded Aztek in a tight circle. They floated, intangible and barely visible, and, by whispering all at once, chanted: "You will pay, you will pay, you will pay..."

Psychological intimidation like this worked with the usual street thug and scum, but this particular time, Gloom was aiming at gaining time rather than scaring him away, for she knew he had seen Death before. Moving her hands in obscure motions, shadows turned solid and wrapped around four tombstones. Moved by the shadows, the stones were lifted out of the ground and, after levitating for a moment, flew quickly towards Aztek, passing through one of Kate's ghosts as they did so. Her offense launched, the young woman flew downwards and set foot on the branch of a big tree by the cemetary. Her shadow-wings outstretched, she watched, waiting to see how events would unfold. Relaxing for a moment, she heard them, through the Voice of the Dead. His victims, begging for vengeance. They were so many that their combined whispers felt like screams to Kate. I'll try... I owe it to all of you, she thought to herself, rubbing her temples.