Temp Lock Survey

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By The_Ghostshell

Poll Temp Lock Survey (51 votes)

I wanna try it. We already have an off-topic forum for those types of threads 65%
Fck that. I like those threads and they serve a purpose in the Rp forums 35%

I've heard varying reports (both sides of the argument) but most are bias and there for misleading. So I'm just curious what the actual temperature of the room is (so to speak). So please, cast your vote below AND give a small (or large) post when you do. Otherwise, as we all know, the voting jumps up to 60 users having voted in-spite of the forum only housing maybe 9 active users :D

• 
Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm choosing I wanna try it. We already have an off-topic forum for those types of threads as it's only 30 days. It won't kill us as it's a short period, but going by today, the vine has seemed dead.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have said it in another thread all it has effectively done in my mind is push chatter into other locations and derailed pm's and ooc's as a result. But i appreciate the meaning of the idea and it may change given time. Just not happy with it as is.

i think this should of been done nearer the end of the 30 days to get a truer more thorough view of the peroid to be honest.

_Sparrow_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally disagree with it, but I'm not looking for an argument; I'm just gonna put down my vote and go back to watching Youtube.

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Antonia

Was against it at first, but I think at the very least, we could do without those like what Thoughty Thoughts and the Truth have become.

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna try it.

_Higgins_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still just either or on it really. We are all like a super fcked up family, Thoughty Thoughts or not ^_^

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted the second option.

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

i think this should of been done nearer the end of the 30 days to get a truer more thorough view of the peroid to be honest.

Gonna hold off on voting until closer to the end. Hard to gauge activity on a weekend, particularly one that is a holiday weekend to a lot of folks.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nordok: smart move. My opinion may change later in the 30 days but right now its a no from me and the vote shows that.

MasterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of right now, I support locking the threads. (>'.'<)

_Sparrow_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of off-topic... time to set up shop >:)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

No surprise I voted to try it. And honestly, it does feel weird without TT but in the same breath, I'm actually on here looking for rp threads to spark interactions in. Rather then reading the latest random thoughts of users (there is an actual Thread for Randomness already, as well as Whats on your Mind) and posting my own hoping someone notices my comedy genius.

Also, this isnt a vote to keep the lock or get rid of it so waiting until the end really serves no purpose. I'm curious what people think now, today, this minute. Whether or not they're open to try it, cause its happening. Not wait until the 29th day and say, "Yeah I knew it wasnt gonna work" or "Was pretty sure it was a good idea all along."

Moving the "chatter" to actual rp threads is a good thing. Why? Think of it as a laaaarge fish pond. All the fish are hungry and gathering in bunches. The pond represents the rp thread, the fish the users, and your post is the bait. How easy do you think it will be to get a quick response/interaction/bite, if you post in the middle of one of these clusters? Fairly easy right? Now remember when the bunches were in a thread that was so far off in OOC land that it never ever saw an actual Rp post? And nobody batted an eye when a random post was thrown out in (insert location thread here) because the cluster was OOCing it up in a different thread.

We'd all come on, check TT first, then What does your character think, and so on. Why? Cause they were the first threads we saw. Now imagine a forum in which the first threads you see are actual rp threads? "Wow, so and so posted here, wonder what it is. Oh snap, its a solo post just waiting for a response. Cool!"

Honestly though at the end of the day all I want to do is chill with some cool people and rp. Relatively drama free :P I dont wanna endure another Prime vs nU situation over this. So if you little monsters start going rogue I'm passing you off to Citizenbane. You'll be begging me to take you back :P lol j/p

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

. So if you little monsters start going rogue I'm passing you off to Citizenbane. You'll be begging me to take you back :P lol j/p

LOL If only they knew who he was XD

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: All they need to know is that he bans users like most people breathe lol :P

_Higgins_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:
@owen_porter said:

. So if you little monsters start going rogue I'm passing you off to Citizenbane. You'll be begging me to take you back :P lol j/p

LOL If only they knew who he was XD

Ooohohoho I do XP

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram:

I know who he is, he changed his name to Saren I think and he is also the best debater in the battle forums. I got my ass kicked by him on my first week in the site on a Talon vs Daredevil debate. :p

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_higgins_: Boogeyman!

@dark_vengeance_: Saren lol I remember he changed his name to that when he was modded, and thought CB was too aggressive lol

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo already know my vote.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes Gambler says really smart things

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram:

With his ratio of bans per day he should have kept it, it would have been fitting even. I love his comic book scan edits to fit a problem for comic relief, kind of like the one that he posted when they banned the DBZ threads for the 10th time. In his defense 75% of the people in the battle forums are a-holes, almost all of the threads have a flame war.

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Antonia

@owen_porter: I already used my "getting laid" joke, so just know I approve.

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owen_porter: this is fn bull sht damn it! It's like prime vs NU all over again! From this day fwd damn you all to fckn hell! TO HELL!

Naw I agree with you lol, made some valid points

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really all I want is for those who feel their voices werent heard, or that they were dismissed, to give it 30 days. Just try it. We dont have enough active users to wage a "us against them" saga. Lets see if it actually helps bump rpg interactions. If it doesnt work I promise I'll never make you eat your veggies again :D

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I do feel like it could benefit the flow of RPing in this section, I know when I saw it at first I got straight to writing other posts, overall though I feel like it could slow down overall activity too much, I mean some RPG regulars stick around in a strictly OOC capacity so I'll vote a no for now.

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean some RPG regulars stick around in a strictly OOC capacity so I'll vote a no for now.

But then, can they really be considered useful to the section? ~_^

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antonia: How about when you were not writing for that month or two and was only here OOC, were you useless? Not really, you helped me develop a few ideas.

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Yes, I was largely useless in that time. And really, they don't need those threads to be of OOC assistance either. They can 'be useful' in private. I certainly wasn't any use in the public forum.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antonia: Well, true. You don't need threads for that I guess.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

We need to kill those goddamn threads. All the OOC activity and spam needs to flood into the threads and PM

Also make SURE to kill the Truth as well. It's turned into the same thread.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cain_: Truth has already been killed ;)

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, we wouldn't get the activity over in Oblivion bar if all these threads were up...

Pantheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the one hand, I think it's good not to cluster up the section with threads that aren't about RPGing as that stuff is obviously off-topic, so I'm definitely for giving it a try. That said, I think there is something positive about a thread for general chatter in this section. Telling us to go to the Off-Topic board if we want to chat doesn't really work, cause the reason people like chatting here is cause only the RPG community check this board. If we start posting on other boards it opens up discussion to the whole site, whereas I figure most guys here just wanna chat with the friends they've made in this section. I agree that all the random threads clog up the board, but right now I think locking all of them might be a step too far as it forces chatter into OOCs, making it difficult for people to keep up to date with any important information about the linked RPG in that thread. But I guess only time will tell what'll actually happen.

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antonia said:

@amazingangel said:

I mean some RPG regulars stick around in a strictly OOC capacity so I'll vote a no for now.

But then, can they really be considered useful to the section? ~_^

Eeeehh *flaps arms at change* I don't know :P

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I don't care either way .

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's important to remember we wouldn't be locking the OOC threads if activity wasn't very low in the RPG threads. If possible, i'm sure everyone would prefer a balanced harmony.

Ult_Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fer chrissakes, it is only 30 flippin days and there is this thing called pms

Psycontic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of confused with the question. Are you asking if we should have a thread only open for thirty days, or....

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VictorGrey

@psycontic: The question is 'are you supportive of the 30 day trial experiment?'

Psycontic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Psycontic

@victorgrey: meh couldnt hurt. if a thread or rpg gtakes that long it should die lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remus_Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted the first option, never did much OOC stuff myself and to be frank I'm not too bothered about those threads being locked for a little while.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43 Feral Nova  Moderator

Here's my issue with it...

People like myself, who just don't have time to RP for one reason or another, stick around to the ‘off-topic’ threads of the RP forums. The reason I stick around is because, hello, I have friends here! People I enjoy talking to and don't know are on unless I pop on a thread just to say 'hi’ without having to shoot dozens of unnecessary PM’s to people.

I wouldn't want to post in an Ooc thread of an RP because it can mess up the flow of what's being talked about and create unnecessary posts in that thread. I also wouldn't want to just dump a post in a location thread going "Hey guys what's up?" Because, again, I'll be messing up the flow of an RP when I'm not RPing.

Another thing I liked about things like "thoughty thoughts" is that you can bounce ideas off of people you normally wouldn't talk to it about. Like “Ugh I idk what to do with this character!” and then someone who you’ve never worked with would jump in and go “Hey I can help you out!”.

Certain Off-topic RP related threads also help everyone get to know each other on a more personal level, getting to know everyone in the RP community. When I first came on there weren't many off-topic threads (maybe 1? lol) and people seemed to isolate themselves to their team threads (actual city locations weren't a thing yet) and everyone ended up just sticking to their own 'clique' because of it. Zero squad stuck to their own team thread, Vine Villains stuck to their own thread, Tenth Magnitude stuck to their own thread, WAL stuck to their own thread... no one reached out to other threads because no one talked to anyone in the RP community. The only times other teams interacted was during an large scale RP or if one person was attacking a team thread and the only time we talked to each other was in Ooc threads, which wasn’t much other than “Great post!” or “I don’t understand what you wrote” lol You get the idea.

I'm NOT saying that there should be billions of off-topic threads going about in the RP section. I'm saying keep a couple, they allow people who just don't have to RP anyone (like myself lol) to still stick around to the RP section even though we don't write anymore. And yes, we can still be useful! :P Wando was never a big RPer and yet he helped make the Comic Vine Cards! I don’t RP often but I do help with other RPers with RP and/or character ideas. It also allows the RP community to interact each other in an out of character sense. YES there is an off-topic fourm, but WHY are we going to go aaaaaaaaaaaall the way to the off-topic area to talk to each other, then jump back to the RP section to write a post when we can just stick to the RP section? Makes no sense to me... if I want to talk to like... King Saturn, then I know to go to the Off-topic section. I want to talk to Dark Vengeance, I know to come to the RP section.

idk if I'm making sense lol I'm at work, half stressed out because of Coachella Fest and tired as hell with everything else going on lol. But locking ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the 'off-topic' threads... I don't think it's the greatest idea.

anyways... that's my five cents xD

Remus_Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feral Nova:

It's quite interesting to see your view on this, someone who uses the OOC section so much is probably missing it quite a lot right now I'd presume. If say they permenantly locked all but two of the OOC threads, which one would you like to keep around?

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Feral Nova  Moderator

@remus_crux: I'll admit, I wasn't very happy to see the main thread I post in (thoughty thoughts) locked when I logged in lol. I enjoy talking to you guys here :) so this 30 day trial REALLY sucks for me :(

If I HAD to choose two, Thoughty Thoughts would be my first pick, the second pick.... it would be a tie between "I remember" and "The RPG Character Battle Thread".

The "I remember" thread because I love reading of the old times of the vine lol and sometimes I'll remember something and put something down, then someone goes "OH I REMEMBER THAT!" and it sparks a conversation between the RPers. You're still talking about RP related things even though it's an 'off-topic' thing.

The "The RPG Character Battle Thread" because I love seeing the debates in that thread lol. Taking some characters that you think will never fight each other and put them up against each other, but instead of them actually RPing, US the rpers decided who we think would win and why. Sometimes it even sparks the characters creators to want to battle that other individual to fight, thus creating an RP! xD I know that's how I got into a couple of my old battles lol. So again, it's RP related that can actually help produce RP's... or at least battles :P lol

Remus_Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feral Nova:

You see I never used thoughty thoughts, or the I remember thread. I didn't really like the idea of the I remember thread as it only catered to those who had been doing RP for a long time and so it's completely useless to newer viners and so the older viners tend to stick to that thread I feel.

I would bring the 'what does your character think about the character above you' thread because it doesn't actually use a lot of OOC stuff and it's a place for miniture, short interactions which can help the very newest help practice writing their character interacting with others without writing loads.

I completly agree with the character battle thread though, I didn't use it much but I think the concept of the thread is good. The problem comes when people derail and talk about stuff completly unrelated to anything on the vine.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Feral Nova  Moderator

@remus_crux: I liked thoughty thoughts because it's the RP sections version of "What's on your mind", but just for us RP users lol.

The I remember thread is for older viners BUT at the same time, if a newer RPer pops in, and see's something that was done in the past, they might go "Hey... that's a good idea! Can we do that again?" and chances are, other person wouldn't have done that idea either! Plus you get to know some fun facts about what happened on the vine without having to read through HUNDREDS of old RP's lol. And you get to learn some fun facts! Like, did you know that Mercy was first known as Dark Huntress? xD Did you know that Pyrogram used the animated Thor look when he first started RPing? LOL It's mostly for fun! and because you are RPing, in a few short months, even you can use the thread ;)

I never cared about the "what does your character think about the character above you" ^_^' and honestly, I didn't see it as a 'off-topic' thread because it's suppose to be an IN CHARACTER thread. Sooooo I'm a bit confused to why it's locked..? If it's because there is off topic conversation in it, well... there are off topic conversations in all threads to be honest lol

The character battle thread is really fun, I'm not one to make arguments, but I do like to read them :D

Remus_Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Remus_Crux

@Feral Nova:

Come to think of it the fact that the 'what does your character think about the character above you' thread is locked is a little surprising, I suppose the small scale interactions never really lead on to anything. I always saw it as simple practice.

What you said about the I remember threads seems like it would work in theory but how often does that actually happen and plus do people care that much about what your AV was? I've just never really been into OOC chat, and I have actually been with the vine for a while (this is an alt of Last Pyre btw) I could if I wated to being up the time I helped burn down the Statue of Liberty but the thing is that I've never had the indenture. I just like to RP more than I like to go OOC.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Feral Nova  Moderator

@remus_crux: see I love RPing as well, but since I don't get to write much anymore, I probably would have never spoken to you because you never go in the ooc chats. So in a way this off-topic chat had allowed me to get to know you out of character ^_^

I don't want to be cut off from from the rp community that I have been a part of for six years just because I don't have the time to rp anymore :/ I want to be able to come in, say hi to people, have a little chat, help someone out if needed and such... I really don't see ooc chats as a bad thing as long as people don't go crazy making ooc threads. But with this 30 day trial... I FEEL like I don't even belong anymore or even wanted around.

Anyways I gotta get going now lol

Remus_Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Remus_Crux

@feral_nova:

Yeah it's good getting to know you a little more too I fire :), and it's a shame you don't get to do as much RPing as you would like to. And hey don't feel down, I bet the people who who normally talk to you are missing you right now and they too may be feeling the same way you do but it's ok sometimes I feel like the RPG section doesn't want me around too but I know that's just a silly way to think.

I'm just gonna hit you up with a PM if you don't mind, reply whenever you're not busy and if you want to we can talk more about... Whatever really. Bye for now then :)