#1 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been wondering-how exactly do you handle sword/weapon duels in RPGs? I generally like to have fast, intense sword/weapon duels with people, but it's hard to write those as you have to treat them as a attack first. For example:

"Sparda rushed forward and launched three attacks-a diagonal sword strike coming vertically upwards, followed by a horizontal slash. After those two were launched, he would perform a roundhouse kick to confuse and stun his opponent" (very rough, just a example)

Now, since I just launched two attacks on the person, what if they attempted a parry or to connect and block them? Would that require them to take control of my character? Is that allowed? I find it hard sometimes to write a good weapon duel, as great ones often require pre-planning by the people fighting. How do you (asking your opinions) do a good sword duel? Do you write out every individual attack, or just generalize it and say that you sent numerous attacks at once?

#2 Posted by Hedatary (3768 posts) - - Show Bio

Its really hard to do a sword duel in an rpg. Its not a question to be answered so easily

#3 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

I think them being able to block your attack with their sword would be fine, as per your example.

"He saw his opponent rush in on him with three diagonal slashes, setting his sword in the defensive their blades clashed in a ringing sound that vibrated through the blades themselves. The second slash came in fast and once again his brought his own sword to bear the brunt of the attack, letting the blade spark as they slid down one another's blade length. The final slash was caught and embraced with the weight of his arm as the blades locked fiercely together. They were no caught in a test of strength to see who could over power who, then without warning the round house came from no where, crashing into the side of his head and toppling him over."

Not sure if that helped any...but I do not see why blocking with the sword could not just be used.

#4 Posted by supertrooper117 (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

i guess you only throw one real attack and the others are just setups

#5 Posted by Jax (7542 posts) - - Show Bio
Hedatary said:
"Its really hard to do a sword duel in an rpg. Its not a question to be answered so easily"

It's hard to duel with any weapon regardless. I always wondered this and just thought to block or be hit by each attack like I would dodge one be hit by the other or somethin else.
#6 Posted by Hedatary (3768 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of the reasons why i don't generally carry a sword because of the complicated duel proccess you have to go through, especially when you have to be very specific and where you are attacking. And even if i am using a sword, it would be of magical nature that would absorb any attack or something. meh! sword duels just rub me the wrong way.

#7 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that as long as you have a general understanding with the person its ok to launch several attacks for an attempt at speed, but then you have to account for some of their taking control to react to your attacks.

#8 Posted by Jax (7542 posts) - - Show Bio
Hedatary said:
"This is one of the reasons why i don't generally carry a sword because of the complicated duel proccess you have to go through, especially when you have to be very specific and where you are attacking. And even if i am using a sword, it would be of magical nature that would absorb any attack or something. meh! sword duels just rub me the wrong way."
I carry a whip and a sword. Hold the opponent with the whip and vertically slash at them with the sword or something.
#9 Edited by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
Andferne said:
"I think them being able to block your attack with their sword would be fine, as per your example.

"He saw his opponent rush in on him with three diagonal slashes, setting his sword in the defensive their blades clashed in a ringing sound that vibrated through the blades themselves. The second slash came in fast and once again his brought his own sword to bear the brunt of the attack, letting the blade spark as they slid down one another's blade length. The final slash was caught and embraced with the weight of his arm as the blades locked fiercely together. They were no caught in a test of strength to see who could over power who, then without warning the round house came from no where, crashing into the side of his head and toppling him over."

Not sure if that helped any...but I do not see why blocking with the sword could not just be used."

That was what I was wondering about. While I think that what you wrote is fine (great, whatever), it controls the other character a bit (when the two get locked into the pushing stance), which someone else might think is breaking the rules.

Or am I just overanalyzing this?
#10 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
Sparda said:
"That was what I was wondering about. While I think that what you wrote is fine (great, whatever), it controls the other character a bit (when the two get locked into the pushing stance), which someone else might think is breaking the rules.

Or am I just overanalyzing this?"
I myself think it is fine, but I am not a nit picker so to speak when it comes to things like this. I generally just roll with the punches unless things get too out of hand.
#11 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
Andferne said:
"Sparda said:
"That was what I was wondering about. While I think that what you wrote is fine (great, whatever), it controls the other character a bit (when the two get locked into the pushing stance), which someone else might think is breaking the rules.

Or am I just overanalyzing this?"
I myself think it is fine, but I am not a nit picker so to speak when it comes to things like this. I generally just roll with the punches unless things get too out of hand."
Me too.
#12 Posted by Hedatary (3768 posts) - - Show Bio
Jax said:
"Hedatary said:
"This is one of the reasons why i don't generally carry a sword because of the complicated duel proccess you have to go through, especially when you have to be very specific and where you are attacking. And even if i am using a sword, it would be of magical nature that would absorb any attack or something. meh! sword duels just rub me the wrong way."
I carry a whip and a sword. Hold the opponent with the whip and vertically slash at them with the sword or something."
A whip and a sword is not a very good combination imo. A whip could be a deadly weapon from long distance but using a sword at the same time, which is used for melee....
#13 Posted by Jax (7542 posts) - - Show Bio
Hedatary said:
"Jax said:
"Hedatary said:
I carry a whip and a sword. Hold the opponent with the whip and vertically slash at them with the sword or something."
A whip and a sword is not a very good combination imo. A whip could be a deadly weapon from long distance but using a sword at the same time, which is used for melee...."

You master them. Battle like they were one.
#14 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone that usually uses a sword in battles...I guess it depends on how the things are written, for me if someone is blocking my attacks with a sword it's fine, as it would be like getting mad because they blocked a bullet or an attack (just an opinion)

#15 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the way we did ours Sparda

But idk if I like screwed it up or not

#16 Posted by Jax (7542 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:
"I liked the way we did ours Sparda

But idk if I like screwed it up or not"

How did ya'll do yours?
#17 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:

It was great, how we did ours, but then again.....we've known and trusted eachother for a long time, too.

Our fight ruled, BTW. Lol.
#18 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
Jax said:
"Resonate said:

How did ya'll do yours?"

read our fight \:D

Just search for it in the forums, its "To Finish what they started"