Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By _Vex_

Gothic City 2014

No Caption Provided

"Mr. Rook?"

"Yes?" My response is inquisitive, but uninterested at the same time as I pause from reading the tattered book in my hands.

"Ms. Mycin has sent you a bouquet of flowers among other things in appreciation for your help in putting away the man that murdered her husband."

I hear her words, but they don't really resonate with me or have so much of an impact as they would have had earlier that day. I'm distressed and it's plainly obvious to my secretary as she walks closer to me while I sit on my leather chair that leans against the office wall.

"It's not like you to brush off gratitude."

Her words cause me to look up and my eyes to shoot piercing daggers at her. She's unfazed by my facial threats as per usual. Well, ever since our time at Harvard she has been an expert on how to handle my emotions really.

"Normally, you would have a modest smile and a more humble, 'anything to help' attitude, but that's not you today. Why?"

I don't respond. I couldn't even if I wanted to. How can I tell her that I don't feel like Alexander Rook anymore. I have completely succumbed to being both Vex and Dark Vengeance. That cape and cowl has devoured me and the scariest part is that I love it. In my own sub conscious, I refer to myself as such instead of Alex, like I use to be. The power that I feel when those that prey on the innocent are filled with fear, is a power that compels me to distance myself from my life as the District Attorney. Is this how Dark Vengeance felt? Would he abandon his position as the mayor because he felt being Dark Vengeance was the real him? Or have I become drunk with the mantle that he built? Either way, I know I haven't gone over the edge. I never would. It's the lifestyle that I love and thats what scares me. A man with a death wish is a man that can't be stopped.

I draw my attention back to lea and dismiss her with a small heartfelt whisper, "I'm sorry. Take the rest of the day off. Don't argue because I'll be clocking out early as well."

She reaches out to touch my shoulder, but pulls back instead and hesitates before leaving my office. I'll make it up to her somehow, but not today. Staring once again to the book I was reading before I was interrupted, it's words speak just as loud as they did earlier.

Enter Launcelot and Jessica
Laun. Yes, truly; for, look you, the sins of the father are to be laid upon the childre; therfore, I promise you, I fear you. I was always plain with you, and so now I speak my agitation of the amtter: therefore be of good cheer; for, truly, I think you are damned. There is but one hope in it that can do you any good, and that is but a kind of bastard hope neither.

The sins of the father….I blame him. I blame my father more than anyone. I blame him for the loneliness that my mother suffered when she was alone in that hospital bed, dying from the pain of labor that brought my beautiful sister in this world. I blame his obsession with his own mask that had himself murdered and caused a void in my life. I blame my faults as a man and as an adult with his absentee as a guardian. But most of all, his fault is for leaving me to care for a young girl and left me holding the burden of heartache upon her kidnapping.

When I had first took upon my mask and branded myself as Vex, I was simply searching for answers, not to save the people of Gothic in any sense. He would be so proud that I followed in his footsteps and that makes me such more furious. If he could look at me now, I wish he could feel nothing, but shame and remorse.

"I hate him!!"

I yell while kicking myself off the chair and onto the wooden floor. Tearing at the work of Shakespearean masterpiece in my grip and throwing its paper contents around the office and flailing at every piece of furniture in a blind rage. Nothing is safe from my destruction as I bash, smack and pummel literally everything in the office without any sort of disciplined striking. Kneeling to the floor, I take a deep breath blood spilling from my hands onto my pants.

"I don't want to be you, Father….but I find myself in your shoes, facing the same damnation."

___________________________________________________________________________________

Gothic Docks; 1990

No Caption Provided

The thick fog from the Gothic City harbor blankets over the docks making the hand in front of your own face a tad difficult to see clearly. Armed guards walk back and forth patrolling the area from anyone that gets lost or maybe even too little curious about the activities going on this late evening.

Atop a rusted shipping crate is a man laying down peeking over its sides, surveying the pier. His brown trench coat covers the majority of his figure but leaves his dirty blonde hair unconcealed.

"Black Paw, where are you?" the murmur is drowned out by the sounds of the waves crashing along the cement wharf as the man who whispered it looks around in a panicked frenzy. A single ebony hand reaches around the man's neck and seals his mouth shut from making any further noise.

"Shut up. Ever heard of mission silence? Or better yet, just hand signals?"

The charcoal colored gloved palm belonged to none other than Black Paw. One of the original vigilantes of Gothic City. Known to his friends and caped comrades as Adrian Rook and Black Paw. To those that sought to do harm in the cover of the night, he was the scourge of the underworld. The malevolent marauder. The devastating feline fighter. The ferocious and uncontrollable midnight boxer. The only restraint was his stand against killing, but nothing withheld him from beating his opponents to an inch of death. He was the fear in the night that loomed over gangsters, drug dealers and rapists.

"Whats the purpose of hand signals if I didn't know you were there? And besides, not all of us are green beret veterans."

Black Paw paused before responding in a slightly ashamed tone, "Good point. But still, you're lucky we're far enough that no one can hear us. So what do you have, Officer Dosa?"

He let out a long sigh as he reached into the trench coat pocket and brought out a pair of GCPD standard issue binoculars.

"A handful of guys. A little too many to count one hand truth be told, but it's pretty obvious that they belong to Pink Panther."

Humph. Pink Panther. What an original name. It's odd and a little stupid that as soon as we put on masks to fight the criminals, they put on masks. By the time we operated outside the law and changed our names into something that would scare the superstitious, so did they. A stupid, but viscous cycle that is stuck on repeat.

"She just doesn't get it. No matter how many times we square off, she doesn't seem to understand that I'll never let her smuggle weapons into the City."

"Well maybe you can arrest her this time instead of being seduced."

I shoot an angered look at him, but he isn't wrong. She has been known to be a little flirtatious, and especially so towards me. Must be the feline connection we share.

"By the way....aren't you having a son soon, Adrian?"

I crouch down and peek over just as he did earlier, squinting my eyes through the binoculars and try to count as many as I can that are guarding the warehouse without bringing too much attention to myself. Their all carrying 1911 pistols and no body armor. Old, but reliable.

"She's in labor right now matter of fact."

Black Paw's words come out as if it was everyday that he was having a child. His nonchalant pitch and lack of emphasis shocks officer Dosa.

"Before you say anything, this is more important."

Tightening his ceramic reinforced gloves and stretching his neck he stands and shifts his gaze back to the prone officer, "Whats the point of having a son if you can't keep him safe in the city you live in?"

He didn't wait for a smartass response and instead jumps off the crate, landing over the barbed wire fence. Crouching over he sprints towards one of the thugs. Leading with his right leg he kicks the man behind the patella of his leg while simultaneously grabbing the gun from his outstretched hand. The movement was quick and especially so given the size of Black Paw. He finishes the unarmed man with a head butt to the back of his cranium and lays down the unconscious man silently.

The tapping feet of another thug walking from around the corner alerts the midnight boxer of his presence. His costume does well to camouflage him in the dark fog and he smiles, proud that the ridiculous attire is useful after all. Running forward, a short leap to the sternum is all it takes to bring the man down as Black Paw's large figure goes crashing on top of the guard. The tumble causes him to lose grip of the weapon as it falls down the gravel and into the ocean.

"A little unfortunate don't you think little fella?"

An even wider smile creeps along his face before he unloads a barrage of punches onto the mans already bleeding face

"Ground and pound baby, ground and pound!"

These small scuffles and skirmishes go on only for a few more minutes and soon all the exterior guards have been eliminated and apprehended by Officer Dosa. Climbing onto an emergency escape ladder and staring through widest roof window, a woman clad in violet and pink leather suit is seen supervising the unloading of wooden boxes and guarded by only a few more men.

Seems she wasn't expecting me to be here tonight. Either that or she wasn't planning on me making it past the outside. Rookie mistake lady.

Jumping into the warehouse, he crashes through the window and into the center of the room directly in front of the pink and feminine woman holding twin katanas. Miss me?

No Caption Provided

LunaHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LunaHawk
Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

Wildcat is freaking badass love the pictures and how they work into the story man.

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By _Vex_
Calaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daddy Vex in the building.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was fantastic. Loved it.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was spectacular, I hope history doesn't repeat itself though.

Honor Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAMN!!!

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nox_: @honor_avenger: @strigidae_23: Thanks, guys! I noticed a few spelling errors, but my lack of coffee is preventing me from correcting those mistakes lol

@calaca said:

Daddy Vex in the building.

He's more of a badass then Vex though...FOR NOW lol