Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Edited By Aiden Cross

RPG-ing: ‘Why does it feel like a task?’

So, it’s no secret I’ve been RP-ing less and less lately. Part of the reason for it is because it isn’t as fun for me anymore as it was a year ago. I’ve talked to some ‘older’ and some ‘newer’ Rpg-ers about this and they feel the same way about it. The point is, writing feels more like a task nowadays than something I actually enjoy. It feels more like something you have to do to be part of the community. And I personally feel that it shouldn’t be that way.

Now this blog isn’t to say that everything is wrong right now on the vine, far from it, the reason I’m still here is because I made some great friends in this community. It is to find out why it feels like a task and what has changed to make it feel this way. Because I know this to be the reason that some of the rpg-ers have left, and a lot of people are contemplating leaving if things don’t improve.

This blog is simply to spark some conversation about the topic and find out where the problem is and how we can best fix it. So my question to you is: What do you feel about the current state of the RPG section of the vine, does it feel like a task to you? And how do you think this came to be? If you’re satisfied with the way it is you’re more than welcome to join in as well. And please, if your answer is going to be “you have to make it fun” or anything like that, please don’t post in this blog..

My personal opinion is that part of the reason it isn’t as fun anymore is because people aren’t as flexible as they used to be. Now I haven’t been on the site from the beginning but I’ve been here long enough to know that RP’s used to be filled with little twists and we never knew how it turned out. It wouldn’t be long before Kurrent, Final Arrow, Andferne or Gambler would throw another curveball in a rpg and it would take a completely different turn and you’d have to adapt. That was part of the fun for me. Now it seems like everyone is somehow scared to do this, and wait for someone else to make a move. Or that RPG’s have to be streamlined, and go exactly like someone has it planned in their head… But if that’s the case you shouldn’t rpg, but write fan-fics or stories on your own. Because in my opinion part of the fun is because you’re writing with other people and it can go all directions!

Now that was my short rant :P How do you feel about it?

So, a short summary of what has been mentioned so far by people (ok, I lied, turned out longer than I thought, you people complain too much :P):

• People drop out of rpg’s too quickly.
  • Some people don’t like the new structured feel of rpg’s while others disagree and find it to be better.
  • People are only excited for new ideas at first, but once that dies down people lose interest and it starts feeling like a task.
  • I feel pressured into writing, this can be because of the pace of the rpg or the large posts other people write.
  • It’s too much of a popularity contest.
  • I don’t know what or how I should write it to fit into the story.
  • People aren’t willing to change things themselves and depend on others to do it for them.
  • The rpg-community is much larger than what it used to be so it’s difficult to make your mark on a rpg.
  • I feel my post is simply ignored in the rpg and that people don’t even read it.
  • Big canon rpg’s go way too fast and there’s simply too much to read for me to keep up with.
  • People are left out of the loop so they don’t know what to do in a rpg so just do their own thing.
  • I have a lack of time to write posts that I feel are up to the standard nowadays (large posts, elaborate descriptions etc).
  • People will only flock to a new rpg if there’s an established rpg-er taking part in it.
  • People ‘whine’ about new rpg’s being too similar to rpg’s that have already been done.
  • (New) rpg-ers are quickly shunned out of rpg’s if they make a mistake. Instead of explaining what they did wrong and how to improve.
  • You have to be on a team to do anything noteworthy, if you’re solo you just wander around aimlessly.
  • Teams do rpg’s that affect the whole vine but keep it to themselves, this is fine, but eliminates the welcoming factor the vine is known for.
  • People are forming cliques and not branching out.
  • Rpg’s are too slow, it takes weeks/months before the story actually gets going. Some rpg’s used to be finished in one day in the early days.
  • The posts are too big nowadays to keep up with. 70% of the post is filler and has nothing to do with the story at hand.
  • Why bother joining rpg’s anymore? People are gonna get hyped for a couple of days and then drop out and let the rpg die.
  • RPG’s are too predictable nowadays. One or two people lead, the rest follows without them doing anything noteworthy. 

These are the summarized comments i've gathered so far, if I missed anything let me know =) 
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lagoon_boy
The same way as you buddy.

I'm not that great of an Rpg'er but am learning. Part of my learning to write better is by looking up older threads made by the masters of RPG's. I study them and read them, and before, it did seem fun. It might be the plot, it might be because no one wants to take a chance of great risk to make the RPG an interesting one like you said. But I might have one simple answer to all of these. Lack of inspiration, or they're just tired. I've joined two RPG's with great potential and was quite excited on joining a big league RPG such was those two were. But RPG'ers seemed to have stopped posting, bringing both great RPG's to a halt.

I don't think I have a solution for lack of inspiration. Maybe no one want's to RPG with newer RPG'ers. We don't really know, but the new generation of RPG'ers seem to be reviving the R.P.G spirit.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

So basically you're not liking the structured feel of the current RPGs? Totally understandable really, although I'm not really sure how I could help out with that, without stuffing in random plot twists in a RPG or something.

DaggerKlutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DaggerKlutz

I have my days when I just don't feel like RPGing and I also have my days when I can't stop because it is so fun. I also know why it sometimes feels like a task.

After the rookie excitement starts to wear off you find that you aren't as fast with responses as you used to be and you start to have real life obligations to take care of. So you start to come here less. There is nothing wrong here, at this stage you show up fairly constant, just on your time. But when you join an RPG then others are waiting for you so you feel obliged to post quickly so others won't wait on you. It feels like a task because you aren't working at your convenience.  

Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Starkin

I agree with everythin youve wrote. I honestly feel like every post I write is for the benefit of someone else and not because I enjoy writing it, I feel pressured. I might get in trouble for this but ive always felt like rping is more like a popularity contest, and even when I enjoyed doing RPGs I noticed it. I mean ive seen people say you wont make it as a rper until youve battled a certain person. SERIOUSLY so your not a good writer untiil youve battled someone who has just been here a little longer. Being here longer does not make you a better writer or a better rper for that matter. I would go on but im to kind to go on this rant :p

I think for me ever since I left Mobb Deep I havent enjoyed rpging, and as time has gone on most of the people I enjoyed wirting with not just in rpgs but in the threads have either gone or I dont see them around anymore, and maybe thats my fault for leaving on different occasions and not putting in the effort to build that relationship back up again.

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

I agree that it doesn't feel as fun as it used to in the beginning.
Though part of that has probably to do with the fact that I'm not having an easy time making up my mind on how I should write and stuff...

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Why do it if your just gonna complain about it? If your going to, then don't. That's my simple answer.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aiden Cross
@lagoon_boy: Could be, but I don't think it's really the lack of the participants. There are plenty of people willing to put in the effort. 
@Decoy Elite: Not only that, but that is a part of it. 
@DaggerKlutz: That's actually well put, and a lot of how I think about it. But there have been plenty of times where i've been a little fed up with it all and a new user comes along with a brilliant thing that makes me enjoy it again. So that again is the initial excitement. So you may be on to something there =)
@ Starkin: Being pressured into it is also a problem that i think excists and makes it a whole lot less fun as Daggerklutz explained it as well. That you're expected to write rather than enjoy it. 
@~The Wanderer~: I can see that, is it something you have a problem with or is more that it's difficult to find your place?

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Why do it if your just gonna complain about it? If your going to, then don't. That's my simple answer. "

@Aiden Cross said:
"And please, if your answer is going to be “you have to make it fun” or anything like that, please don’t post in this blog.. "
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@Aiden Cross: I dunno, I'm not sure what kind of characters I'd be able to write best.  Hence why I sometimes change my powerset and/or origin with little rhyme or reason.  Sadly, I've had very little chance to use my light manipulation powers yet..lol
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aiden Cross
@~The Wanderer~: Well, you could always do a short battle with someone, like a couple of short posts. Nothing too time consuming but just to get a feel for his powers and see if you like them =)
Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Starkin
@~The Wanderer~:@Aiden Cross: We should do a 3 way rpg and not that kind of 3 way :P
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@Aiden Cross:@ Starkin: Thinking about it, both of you owe me at least one rematch :P
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aiden Cross
@ Starkin: Boooo... crush my dreams why don't you :p

@~The Wanderer~: True, we never finished ours.
Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Starkin
@~The Wanderer~:  Pft im to good for you, afterall I have Harry

THE SUPER AWESOME MAGICAL FISH xP
 THE SUPER AWESOME MAGICAL FISH xP
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I hate to say this but as much as I agree with a lot of your points, my problem is that no one seems to want to try to make changes. Its the same old thing, everyone relies on the "old crew" to get the big rpgs going and any time little rpgs start, because none of said old crew are involved, few people want to play! 

Gambler and Arrow have both stepped aside lately and this should make room, but it doesn't.  

It will take time to change, but it will change if we all keep pushing, I think the vine is coming along great guns, there are "newbies" of sorts who are taking up the reigns, but fewer and fewer people are playing (including yourself) because they are upset at how its all either a task, or its not fun anymore...  

I actually think the whole twist thing is not so much a problem anymore as people not wanting to be involved in the greater story, large rpgs are now a platform for people to tell their own story, so then we are left with the people who started the rpg scratching their heads going wtf, are you in the same story as us?? 

It will change, it is, but do not pull out, jump back in, we need more people to guide.. not give up

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aiden Cross
@ Starkin: wth... you have magical fish?! o_O 

Goes to conjure up a magical chimp as a sidekick :p
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ethan Starks

The Vine is much bigger than it used to be. Back in the day (Never thought I'd be the one saying that) Rpgs could be more free flow simply because there were less people to account for. Thats also why big canon rpgs occurred on a more regular basis. Since the vine's spike in population team rpgs have started to takeover because most people don't want to read 10+ posts everyday. And considering that people also write wayyyyyy more then what I used to see it makes reading every post cost more effort. 

Me thinks the best way to fix this is to have not only an OOC and an rpg thread but a recap thread as well. There after anyone posts, they can site the important points of their posts. Therefore ppl can reference that when they need to post, instead of having to read so many posts before they do so. Some may call that being lazy but this isn't school and it shouldn't feel like it.

Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Starkin
@Aiden Cross:  Fine lets have the 3 way, but im not being the baloney in this sandwitch :P
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aiden Cross
@.Mistress Redhead.: The problem is, i've tried jumping in and switch the story but people don't even read posts anymore that doesn't directly concern them. So while you might write a beatiful twist to a story it means squat if no one reads it and just ignores it.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aiden Cross
@Ethan Starks said:
" Me thinks the best way to fix this is to have not only an OOC and an rpg thread but a recap thread as well. There after anyone posts, they can site the important points of their posts. Therefore ppl can reference that when they need to post, instead of having to read so many posts before they do so. Some may call that being lazy but this isn't school and it shouldn't feel like it. "
I don't think that's such a bad idea actually.
Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Starkin
@Aiden Cross said:
" @ Starkin: wth... you have magical fish?! o_O 

Goes to conjure up a magical chimp as a sidekick :p
"
I see an epic adventure in the works xD

@.Mistress Redhead.: Ive always wanted to push my rpgs forward god knows I have a ton of ideas but I like many can feel like they cant get people interested or keep the story going.
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@Ethan Starks said:
"  Me thinks the best way to fix this is to have not only an OOC and an rpg thread but a recap thread as well. There after anyone posts, they can site the important points of their posts. Therefore ppl can reference that when they need to post, instead of having to read so many posts before they do so. Some may call that being lazy but this isn't school and it shouldn't feel like it. "
I really like this idea.  The only modification to it is that I'd rather see that in the OoC than an entirely different thread (under spoiler tags, though).
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aiden Cross
@~The Wanderer~ said:
" @Ethan Starks said:
"  Me thinks the best way to fix this is to have not only an OOC and an rpg thread but a recap thread as well. There after anyone posts, they can site the important points of their posts. Therefore ppl can reference that when they need to post, instead of having to read so many posts before they do so. Some may call that being lazy but this isn't school and it shouldn't feel like it. "
I really like this idea.  The only modification to it is that I'd rather see that in the OoC than an entirely different thread (under spoiler tags, though). "
Problem is that if you do it in the OOC that it will get piled under all the ooc chat and people won't go searching for it.
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ethan Starks
@~The Wanderer~: What Precise said. 

@Aiden Cross: ^_^
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@Aiden Cross: Then...cliff notes in spoiler tags in the RPG? xD  (kidding, that would be ugly.)
Maybe in a PM between the participants..hmm...
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ethan Starks

The pm suffers from the same thing as the ooc, thats why I hate team pms.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aiden Cross
@~The Wanderer~: What Light said :P
Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

Fine points are being made.

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@Ethan Starks:@Aiden Cross: True I don't like them either, so maybe an extra recap thread is the best idea..grrr...lol
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ethan Starks

Of course this is all talk, for it to actually catch on is like going through the political process here. lol

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aiden Cross
@Ethan Starks: Amen :P But the fact that we're talking in a rational manner to think of how we can improve the situation is a victory in itself. Personally, I just want to know peoples opinion on the matter and how they feel we can improve upon it. And after that we can start making some actual plans to implement them.
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ethan Starks

Sounds good.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aiden Cross
@Ethan Starks: But we can certainly test your idea with a rpg, see if it works. And if it does, try to use it everywhere. ^_^
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ethan Starks

I'll expect you to be in that rpg. No if ands nor buts.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aiden Cross

Naturally =)

Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ethan Starks

Is it a coincidence that your rocking a batman AV and I'm rocking Nightwing? lol

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aiden Cross

I just chose batman because I liked the picture lol. But if you want to be my sidekick, i can't blame you :P

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By _Sojourn_

For me, RPGing is fun, but can still at time feel like a chore, (when writers block, or lack of inspiration)  

But to answer your question...I feel like lately, there has been a twinge of elitism on the vine's RPG section. Those who aren't in the "loop" then they're left to just do whatever. But then you start to have two separate sects, which is a problem. 

talon_x23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By talon_x23
@Aiden Cross said:

" @Ethan Starks said:

" Me thinks the best way to fix this is to have not only an OOC and an rpg thread but a recap thread as well. There after anyone posts, they can site the important points of their posts. Therefore ppl can reference that when they need to post, instead of having to read so many posts before they do so. Some may call that being lazy but this isn't school and it shouldn't feel like it. "
I don't think that's such a bad idea actually. "
That's a pretty good Idea. I shall post something constructive once I return!
Ethan Starks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ethan Starks
@Aiden Cross: More like your equal, but age is on my side. :P
Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Mr. Mercury
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" I hate to say this but as much as I agree with a lot of your points, my problem is that no one seems to want to try to make changes. Its the same old thing, everyone relies on the "old crew" to get the big rpgs going and any time little rpgs start, because none of said old crew are involved, few people want to play!  Gambler and Arrow have both stepped aside lately and this should make room, but it doesn't.   It will take time to change, but it will change if we all keep pushing, I think the vine is coming along great guns, there are "newbies" of sorts who are taking up the reigns, but fewer and fewer people are playing (including yourself) because they are upset at how its all either a task, or its not fun anymore...   I actually think the whole twist thing is not so much a problem anymore as people not wanting to be involved in the greater story, large rpgs are now a platform for people to tell their own story, so then we are left with the people who started the rpg scratching their heads going wtf, are you in the same story as us??  It will change, it is, but do not pull out, jump back in, we need more people to guide.. not give up "
Agreed. 
-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By -Eclipse-

To be honest, even after a year, I still find RPGs fun. Sure there are times, when I'm overwhelmed with school work and have barely any free time at all, when posting does feel like a chore. And I do occasionally curse this Vine tradition of making huge posts, since where I come from (the RPG communities I was on before the Vine) posts were pretty damn small. But on the flipside, I love reading a really awesome post in the same way I love reading a really awesome book, and often the massive posts are very very good. Which I guess is why War Killer and Talon are two of my favourite writers on the Vine. 

But I'm not dissing your point, because sometimes it really does feel like a task. Sometimes. Although I can't comment on them not being as good as they used to be, as I wasn't around back then.

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thegreatfour
@-Eclipse-: Agree with you there. Grrrr Stupid history
Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mr. Mercury

There are a few new RPers that are always coming up with ideas coughcoghazrael, but like MR said people only flock to it if a seasoned RPer is on board. And then complain when things don't go there way. Mainly quitting the RP. If you feel your ideas aren't good, collaborate with other MEMBERS. This is a community.  

There are things that need to be changed, but take action. Do what YOU want to see on the vine, trying isn't going to kill you. 

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By 614azrael
@Mr. Mercury:
>.> <.< ^_^ lol 
I agree though i think one of the bigest isues is what MR was pointing out. Its all about showing the desire to try the new things or revamp the old ones as well as puting the effort in to changeing what one wants changed.
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#45  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

My only issue is that people whine, and no I'm not saying your whining because I understand what your saying and I actually agree on certain parts, but like with the Skrull Rpg for example, when it was first ut ubp as an open storyline, people actually threw in I guess what you would call curve balls, but they curved so much that it took the whole story on a road that it even the a story anymore, so I believe that Rpg's still need to have some form of structure, from how it should start and how it should end, now the middle part I always felt is where you have fun and throw in all of those "OMG" moments, and yes the story may end on how it was supposed to, but not it may not end the same way for every character, and again I'll use the Skrull Rpg as an example on how we had a beginning and we had an end, everything in the middle was for us to make up and go crazy with, and even though it did end like we wanted it to, with the Skrull losing and all, people still managed to throw in a few curve balls like Eclipse did at the end.

My main issue is that, what may be fun for one person may not be fun for someone else, so really it's up to what's fun for you? I mean I had fun with the Skrull Rpg, but others didn't even like they idea for the beginning and a few even dropped from the story all together. Today it's so hard to have a good story when "EVERYTHING HAS BEEN DONE" which in really isn't true, with so many new users, so many up and coming Rpg Legends, there are so many stories to be done and so many ideas people have but never get around to doing them, why? Because if it sounds anything remotely closed to an idea that's already been done, people shoot it down right off the bat, or if sounds to crazy or "it's all about your character!" then they shoot it down as well. I mean MR put so much work into the Skrull Rpg, and did everything she could to make it fun fro every member of C.O.P.'s, but even then! People still didn't like it and whined about it, which isn't fair to anyone who puts so much time and effort into a story that is so big but still managing to make it fun as well. Honestly, some Rpger's are just spoiled to be simply blunt about it, even the older Rpger's, never willing to give a new idea a chance because THEY feel "It's been done before" and are never willing to give it anything look. And what's wrong with it being the same? Can you not do the same story, but throw in a few twist to making something totally different in the end? And if you can, then we most likely will never see them because no one is ever willing to give it a chance because they'll never get past the whole "seen it, done it, I'll pass" mode many Rpger's have nowadays, and it's sad because I know there are plenty of Rpger's out there, even some who have been here forever, who have ideas, but are afraid of it getting shoot down or bruised aside because no one is willing to give something that could turn out to be the most epically fun Rpg ever to happen on the Vine a chance.

Personally, it only takes the fun from me if I'm being rushed, which is one of the reasons that lead me to dropping from the KOV, it's not that I hate the story or aren't finding it fun, it's the fact that "okay, you have to it by so and so date" or having your fellow Rpger's rushing you to get a post up. I mean I know that you can't wait forever to write a post, but when people are forcing you to post so that THEY can post, it's annoying and it doesn't make writing the post fun anymore, no then that's when writing a post feels like a job, which is probably why I like team-up and small team Rpg's, I remember back when Vine Titan's had Rpg's, we took FOREVER xD But we still had fun nonetheless, same with team-up Rpg's, sure it's only two people Rpging, and maybe a villain here and there, but you get to write at your own pace and never feel rushed, and no! I'm not using that as an excuse to slake on your posts xP I'm just pointing out that it's easier to write and have fun when you don't have people breathing down your neck, demanding that you write. It's unfair for you, it doesn't make you write any better, and honestly, it takes away from the fun of writing some epic post, and all and all, it will in the end take away from the whole Rpg completely.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CellphoneGirl
@War Killer: LOL :P it took us like... 9 months for The Gathering? :P
Warsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Warsman

All I says is dat you gitz iz mucking about.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#48  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: But it was still EPIC! xD
Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mr. Mercury
@Aiden Cross:  Great thread, everyone seems to be throwing there honest opinion out instead of whispering behind PM's 
614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 614azrael
@Warboss Skumgut Bloodstompa:
haha XD(hugs the alt of Bloodstompa :P)