RP Subcategory Theory: Real-Sell RPs

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll RP Subcategory Theory: Real-Sell RPs (16 votes)

Interested, and is a good idea; let's do one right now! 63%
Not interested 19%
Interested, but idea needs refinement 13%
Not interested AND idea needs refinement 6%

Selling and How it affects RPs

In order to understand the type of RP subcategory I propose, one must first understand the fine art of selling. There are threads and threads that go on about selling; writing yet another essay on the rule that allows cohesive writing to happen on the Vine would be both pointless and boring. Most people have a fine idea of how to sell; there is rarely an excess of no-selling on the Vine (thankfully), and almost all RPs progress smoothly with the current rules in place. However, due to the occasionally vast power differences between certain characters, occasional logical fallacies can occur. While such fights between foes of vastly different power levels are not common in traditional RPs, open RPs (particularly empire claims) can lead to disputes between characters regarding the logic of selling well. For example; would an unprepared Batman-like character ever be able to fight someone with Spider-Man level physicals? Logically, of course not! On the Vine, however, logic is often suspended for the sake of fun, and this is a good thing. After all, who wants a Superman-style character to just walk all over everyone, only because logic says they should be able to? Nobody, that's who. And it is for this reason that logic is often suspended. We do it, professional writers do it, everyone does it. Selling is all over the place. Of course, this leads to other problems as well.

Selling definitely exists in real media, too. Sometimes people hate it. Remember when Batman punched Superman in the face?

The equalization of characters can lead to something I call forced jobbing. It's the lesser of two evils, and it is no pleasant thing. Say a Superman-level character fights a Batman-level character. "Batman" flings an explosive batarang into the face of "Superman." Now, as per RP rules, "Superman" must proceed to sell the attack of "Batman." He can do this in one of several ways:

1) Take damage from the batarang. This is also jobbing, which is taking damage from an attack that should logically never, ever hurt him.

2) Compliment "Batman." "Superman" proceeds to discuss the fact that, while the attack did not hurt him, the courage/skill/resourcefulness of "Batman" was nonetheless impressive. This, however, can lead to out-of-character choices.

3) No-sell. We all know this is bad.

In any condition, choice #2 is preferable. However, this can lead to logical fallacy. After all, "Superman" can only compliment "Batman" so many times. The result? A rather unsatisfying series of events for "Superman." After all, if you have a character who can wreck everyone, it may feel as though you're always failing to accomplish anything. Meanwhile, the "Batman" character may make others feel as though they have to job around him, in order to have a functional RP. The result? Logical fallacy. And while suspension of logic is essential for writing on the Vine, it does beg the question...what if we kept logic while RPing?

RP Theory: Real-Sell RPs

It would take skill. Guts. Determination. Patience. And resignation to the fact that your character probably wouldn't make it out alive.

What I suggest is a sub-type of RP in which each character realistically sells what happens to them. Someone with super-speed attacks you? Well, you're dead, provided you're just an ordinary human. But how would we do this? First of all, there would need to be pre-established limits on character tiers. "Nobody with X above Spider-Man," or "Nobody who could take X in a fight," come to mind. As someone who spent time on the Battle Forums before coming here, I myself tend to think in these terms. I understand the pain of feeling like you can never accomplish anything, because everyone here will always make a narrow escape (And rightly so; otherwise we'd all just have god-alts instead of street-levelers).

But what if it were riskier to be a street leveler?

Imagine an RP where you can (and likely will) die. The ante is upped; you have to make smart choices in order to make it out. Can't just go in guns blazing; you'd have to RP your way around the goons. What is my inspiration for said RP subcategory? Check this out. I had the honor of participating in this grueling RP-style game before I ever came to the RPG Forums. Now, imagine if it had a plotline. If characters had weaknesses, limitations, that could only be surpassed through the express permission of the judges.

Basically, Erik's Scenario with a overarching storyline, perhaps featuring already existing Vine characters.

It would be ambitious, and tough to pull off. We'd need judges, that's for sure. And there would probably be drama between participants. People might lose their cool. That certainly occurred in Erik's game. But just imagine how fun it could be...where your actions have real ramifications, where real people are affected.

Sample Rules

Vanilla Characters: This would prevent "OP" or "IMBA" characters from walking all over people. You could choose the type of character you use from powerlevels set by whomever is running the thread (in this case, it would be me and two others I trust to keep the game fair). You probably wouldn't be seeing characters above street level in this sort of adventure.

How to keep this fair? Use archetypes. Most Viners already do this; an alt is (often) based on a certain character in particular. In this case, the limitations would be based on said characters. If it's something Spider-Man couldn't do, for example, as far as lifting goes, then your Spidey-based character would be unable to do so.

No arguing with the Judges: They would be there to be the settlers of conflict. If a Judge says something, it goes, unless another Judge disagrees. Ideally, there would be three, and if there is ever any indecision, a vote between them would settle whatever was wrong. Their word is final.

Story is key: What would differentiate this between Erik's Game? Story is the focus. Rather than just completing objectives, we'd have character development. People be urged to develop characters and write about them, instead of just making their next move. It would "play" like a regular RP, just with the risk of dying after making a wrong move.

What do you guys think? Could a realistic-selling RP actually work?

• 
Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting votes, but no responses. Sort of hard to improve the idea without feedback.

weARElegion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

judges do sound like a good option...

Nowaiowt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig this

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctor_Wheatley

In the other RP community I was in they had these "death matches" with several judges. It brought the community down so much they started cyber bullying each other out of hate because if one rule was accidentally broken they were disqualified from the death match. Which would make people mad and etc. Lucky for me I avoided these death matches and I got to watch the world destroy itself. Please don't make this happen.

Im a bit biased from experience.

valken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As somebody who also used to spend A LOT of time on the battle forums, I totally agree with this. Have regular rp's and these coexist with one another - it'll serve as another tool and something for us to use to keep everything going and provide some new experiences. I have to also agree with you, that it can be annoying facing characters who are far below your power level and having to sell. I used to run a brick character some of you may know; Ajax, and one of the reasons I don't write him any more is simply because of this. Having a guy who is nearly impervious to everything, and could lift an aircraft carrier makes rp's with mainly street-levelers less "fun", and I found the interaction just forced.

All in all, I'll give whatever help you need to get this off the ground.

_Goliath_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I know this all too well. It's really hard being a cosmic when you are surrounded by Street-Level. With my upcoming death I still have the feeling that I didn't use Goliath as I should have. While I should be able to take a nap in a hell blaze of nuclear bombs and only be minorly impacted, I still need to take a punch like anyone else. The playing field is really difficult for higher powered characters than lowers. It's like this:

Batman has 45 HP

Superman has 325 HP

You have 45 HP

After you start fighting batman it will take a short time to beat him, because he is street level like you. Let's say right after Batman you fight Superman. You obviously notice a difference with the fight, and after using the exact same strategy you used on Batman, and only knocking down 45 points of his health, you yell out OP and blame Superman for having more HP than batman.

Maybe with this system rather than using the same tools you use on Street-levels on a cosmic, you'll actually think about the chance of instant obliteration.

This system is awesome.