• 94 results
Posted by _Animus_ (3739 posts) 1 year, 10 months ago

Poll: Poll question to all RPGer's (47 votes)

Yay-let's try it out,why not. 57%
Nay- Nein nein nein! 43%

Would you be for or against a week long lock of thoughty thoughts? I think we should try it to see how many more interactions come out of it, how much progress is made, how many people join or leave in that time, etc. There's a lot of positives to givin it a trial run, but i doubt Mercy or G will do it without some way of showing the majority won't be mad about it.

So Thoughty thoughts trial lock: Yay or nah?

#1 Edited by superstay (11389 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see the positives, which is why I haven't voted...sorry

d_1_b

#2 Edited by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally no. If the place gets locked, and it goes bad. We'd lose a HELL load of activity. Or it could work vice versa.

#3 Posted by O_Din (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted no.

But I will say, Polls in the rpg section will never be accurate lol

#4 Posted by Valerie_Huntington (4339 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted yes, only because things seem to be more interesting before all the talking was in a non-canon related thread. But of course there are more factors to that problem than just Thoughty Thoughts.

#5 Posted by Seth_Olympia (481 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't see the positives in it.

#6 Posted by Connoisseur (6911 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it could help, I'm willing to give it a try.

#7 Edited by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a lot of positives to givin it a trial run, but i doubt Mercy or G will do it without some way of showing the majority won't be mad about it.

They could if Quickster gave the word.

#8 Posted by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

50 percent for no?

Do you come here to RP or use fascebook without using facebook lol I said a week not indefinitely

Voted yes, only because things seem to be more interesting before all the talking was in a non-canon related thread. But of course there are more factors to that problem than just Thoughty Thoughts.

I'm not dragging up the old argument of whether or not thought thoughts is a bad thing. I just want to see if people can go without a week of it to see the impact it may or may not have.

Not like there aren't other threads to OOC in.

#9 Edited by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@ramjam said:

There's a lot of positives to givin it a trial run, but i doubt Mercy or G will do it without some way of showing the majority won't be mad about it.

They could if Quickster gave the word.

Would you be down for it? Just to see what the effect is.

#10 Posted by superstay (11389 posts) - - Show Bio

True, there are all of the OoC threads that fill the RPG forum

d^_^b

#11 Edited by _Wolf_Spider_ (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted yes, but only so I can see if Liberty's ran-... blog... on the matter had a true meaning or not.

#12 Posted by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@_animus_: Quickster contemplated it. He's pretty interested to see for sure but he's also got a sorta scientific mind about him just to know some things.

#13 Posted by _Wolf_Spider_ (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly hope it works. Would be nice to see less stripper-gifs and more RPGing.

#14 Posted by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@_wolf_spider_: Quickster likes the stripper gifs! Or model gifs that you say are stripper gifs. Stuff like that make him wanna bump it to the top!

#15 Posted by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@_animus_: Quickster get nervous when he hears stuff like that! Icky did that and almost ban/sued him!

#18 Posted by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@ramjam said:

@_animus_: Quickster get nervous when he hears stuff like that! Icky did that and almost ban/sued him!

lol wuuuh? Why

#19 Posted by ownagepants (4988 posts) - - Show Bio

i have never used the thoughty thoughts thread.

#20 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3694 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!

give meh teh ban hammer too!

#21 Posted by The_Puzzler (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent..Now all the thoughts will just be with gifs in MFW!!!

#22 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3694 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent..Now all the thoughts will just be with gifs in MFW!!!

#23 Posted by _Grifter_ (12930 posts) - - Show Bio

I say go for it.

#24 Posted by Acolyte_V (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm indifferent on the matter really, I went ahead and clicked yes though

#25 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (10314 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, getting people to post has always been a chore people will just get distracted elsewhere. It wont affect the greater scheme of things in a significant way i feel.

And as a GMT user most of the time when i log in the activity is low anyway so if that thread was locked i wouldn't even bother logging in. There will be maybe 1/2 others on at that point so activity wouldnt be much elsewhere anyways.

#26 Posted by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

naaaah...Somebody alted up lol 32 votes don't make sense. I'm going with what it was last night. 65% for to 35% against. Especially with two people voting yes after I left and only one voting no.

Nope, getting people to post has always been a chore people will just get distracted elsewhere. It wont affect the greater scheme of things in a significant way i feel.

And as a GMT user most of the time when i log in the activity is low anyway so if that thread was locked i wouldn't even bother logging in. There will be maybe 1/2 others on at that point so activity wouldnt be much elsewhere anyways.

It really comes down to one fact. Do you come here to write, or do you come here to socialize. If you come to socialize, how big of a loss is it to the RPG section.

Lemme ask that again,

if you come here to Socialize OOC and find the fact it's not just for that anymore.

how big of a loss is it to the Role Playing Game section.

#27 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

@_animus_: Well you cannot detract the socializing aspect of this from the fun feel. Without that, I'd have gone LONG ago. It's not all about writing, you need to vibe with the writers OOC as-well as IC or else IMO it does not work half as well. Maybe locking Thoughty Thoughts for a week would work. As I said to somebody once, it's only a week, and how are you gonna know if it will fail or succeeded without doing it? So...trail and error I suppose.

#28 Posted by Amaranth (8231 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously I voted yes, but I don't think one week is enough to overcome nearly a year of damage. That would be like finishing your last chemo session and trying to run a marathon the next day. We have an entire generation of new players who never saw the pre-TT era, who have never seen a successful team and a lot of older players who have learned to settle for less. Its going to take time, and effort to get back into good habits and even more time and effort to see results from those habits. This is the right move, but I don't believe its an easy move.

#29 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously I voted yes, but I don't think one week is enough to overcome nearly a year of damage. That would be like finishing your last chemo session and trying to run a marathon the next day. We have an entire generation of new players who never saw the pre-TT era, who have never seen a successful team and a lot of older players who have learned to settle for less. Its going to take time, and effort to get back into good habits and even more time and effort to see results from those habits. This is the right move, but I don't believe its an easy move.

I actually fall into that category lol. I've never seen a truly successful team in my few months >_<

#30 Posted by Amaranth (8231 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Right now I'd say a good portion of the vine has never seen a successful team, and most importantly they don't have first hand experience with what a successful faction is like in practice.

#31 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: True True. I do think, in a Vine "climate" like this though. The only true way to get a successful team is a close knit group of OOC players dedicating themselves. I think that's the only logical way these days.

#32 Posted by Amaranth (8231 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: That's possible. I think even with TT closed whoever tries to make a successful team has to have a small team of people who are dedicated to the concept; they need to understand what makes a team work, they need to focus on posting their BS posts in that team thread to keep it active, they need to do interactions in that thread, and they need to avoid blowing all their energy in an early RPG.

#33 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: I think, even though it may be sad, having an open recruitment for a team won't work these days, having too many people won't work, you need a small 3/4 people you're close friends with who you know you can trust, and won't let you down. If you wanna have a good team which is active, I wonder if that will ever be accomplished.

#34 Posted by Amaranth (8231 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: That's partially true. Here is the problem a lot of teams face. First there is the creator who imagines the teams high concept. JLA, Child Heroes, School for Mutants, Ninja Assassins, HFC, ect. So then the first challenge that faces the team is the slice of a slice problem. Of all the RPGers only X number are going to be interested in the concept. Of X only Y number are going to have suitable character. Of Y only Z number are going to be active. Of Z only A are going to be active for very long. Each stage is a slice of the above stage, like an inverted pyramid.

As a result you get an 'opening pop' where everyone drops into the thread and talks about how cool it is. Then you get a second pop where people interact then want to make an RPG. Then the team usually dies at that point because there aren't enough 'A' players.

If the random day to day BS migrates back into the team threads it helps keep those threads active and on the front page. The energy and excitement is linked to the team, and it 'expands' each of those slices. You're going to get a few more people who stay interested because the team is right in front of them all the time.

#35 Edited by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@_animus_: Well you cannot detract the socializing aspect of this from the fun feel. Without that, I'd have gone LONG ago. It's not all about writing, you need to vibe with the writers OOC as-well as IC or else IMO it does not work half as well. Maybe locking Thoughty Thoughts for a week would work. As I said to somebody once, it's only a week, and how are you gonna know if it will fail or succeeded without doing it? So...trail and error I suppose.

Before TT we had OOC in random threads, it was the same thing as TT only across the entire board. OOC was around before TT was lol. Only TT made it a lil bit too...centralized, feel me. OOC was a side thing back then, now it's the main attraction and thats an obvious problem with the point of the board itself. OOC is meant to be the minority not the majority, thats what the off topic sections for.

But to cut it down

Everybody can still OOC chat. there just won't be a thread to pitch a tent in for it.

@pyrogram said:

@amaranth_strix: True True. I do think, in a Vine "climate" like this though. The only true way to get a successful team is a close knit group of OOC players dedicating themselves. I think that's the only logical way these days.

And I'm not tryna piss on you pyro lol but I don't agree with that one either.

your ICcharacters need to get tight knit. I'm cool with about a dozen people here, doesn't mean my character is cool with theirs.

@amaranth_strix said:

I'm not talking about damage done or past issues, I'm just trying to find a solution for now and later. This isn't to repair anything, it's a trial run. Usin your cancer analogy it's like rat testing a new antidote before trying human testing.

#36 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

@_animus_: If you're cool with somebody OOC you can make IC work anytime you like. Well, at least I can. And remember I was not here Pre-Thoughty Thoughts. So I don't have a basis on any of that :/

#37 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

That's partially true. Here is the problem a lot of teams face. First there is the creator who imagines the teams high concept. JLA, Child Heroes, School for Mutants, Ninja Assassins, HFC, ect. So then the first challenge that faces the team is the slice of a slice problem. Of all the RPGers only X number are going to be interested in the concept. Of X only Y number are going to have suitable character. Of Y only Z number are going to be active. Of Z only A are going to be active for very long. Each stage is a slice of the above stage, like an inverted pyramid.

As a result you get an 'opening pop' where everyone drops into the thread and talks about how cool it is. Then you get a second pop where people interact then want to make an RPG. Then the team usually dies at that point because there aren't enough 'A' players.

If the random day to day BS migrates back into the team threads it helps keep those threads active and on the front page. The energy and excitement is linked to the team, and it 'expands' each of those slices. You're going to get a few more people who stay interested because the team is right in front of them all the time.

Hm. I'll think on that, it's interesting. And, maybe you an Animus are correct. And without TT the day to day things would go back. We'll see, hopefully you're right!

#38 Posted by Strigidae_23 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@_animus_: If you're cool with somebody OOC you can make IC work anytime you like. Well, at least I can. And remember I was not here Pre-Thoughty Thoughts. So I don't have a basis on any of that :/

Strangely I'm the reverse. I can do plot after plot with people I secretly despise but its hard for me to get anything going with some of my real friends.

#39 Edited by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

@strigidae_23: So you secretly despise me! Joke, You're just an enigma who hates writing remember? :P

#40 Posted by Strigidae_23 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Strigidae_23 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Strigidae_23 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by Strigidae_23 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Edited by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

lol your not the only person who i've seen mention it like this, your seeing it like an era. Just picture this board, without a main drop point for OOC. That was how it was then, no more no less.

#48 Posted by Pyrogram (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

@_animus_: I don't actually see it that differently. Must have been all over place OOC stuff though, that's actually positive for activity I guess.

@strigidae_23: LOL XD

#49 Posted by _Animus_ (3739 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Spectrion (768 posts) - - Show Bio

Teams are outdated. Most people operate independently nowadays. I don't think OOC talk is going to help that. Teams worked back then because there were more people around and most if not all stories were based on team interactions. Now individual interaction is what breeds stories and temporary teams are created for the purpose of the rpg.