• 93 results
#1 Posted by Tranquil (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

Too lazy to sift through the other threads, and seeing as how my particular take on a this specific topic is genuine, I decided it deserved a new thread all together. Now what I propose is we create a power scale based on the CVnU characters we are all familiar with. This is not to boost anyone's ego, or to make other users feel inferior but over time we have attributed certain levels of achievement to characters. Impero was often considered the strongest, Quintus the best h2h, Armistice the most clandestine, Madame Blossom is sort of like sorceress supreme, and there are others.

Help me out here, pitch in your thoughts and ideas and lets create a concrete scale.

#2 Edited by ThisIsGonnaHurt (29794 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh goodie.

#3 Posted by Trauma (5889 posts) - - Show Bio

warsman- indestructable

#4 Posted by Tranquil (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

@trauma said:

warsman- indestructable

That or stamina, I've never actually seen a Warsman character get tired, even when they're on the receiving end of some heavy blows.

#5 Edited by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

We need a dynamic Power scale IC wise. For example.

Strongest character.

Impero

Weakest

Street Level Pyrogram (For example)

And then fill in the gaps.

#6 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (29794 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil:

Chalk that up to berserker rage. Or WIS.

#7 Posted by _Animus_ (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a chart that could be the foundation for this somewhere. Zaubs knows what I'm talkin about she showed it to me.

#8 Posted by Trauma (5889 posts) - - Show Bio
@tranquil said:

@trauma said:

warsman- indestructable

That or stamina, I've never actually seen a Warsman character get tired, even when they're on the receiving end of some heavy blows.

that is a beyond true statement

#9 Edited by Tranquil (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I was thinking more for each attribute.

Strength- Impero level, Stark level, etc

Stamina- Warsman level, Impero level, etc.

Speed- Kratesis/Andres level, Ziccarra level etc.

Intelligence- Ellie Knightfall level, Armistice level

Fighting Skill- Ishin level, Quintus level

Energy Projection- Strigidae level, Tranquil level

Something like that.

#10 Posted by _Xander_Slade_ (661 posts) - - Show Bio

Here we go

#11 Posted by Armistice (4132 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil said:

@pyrogram: I was thinking more for each attribute.

Strength- Impero level, Stark level, etc

Stamina- Warsman level, Impero level, etc.

Speed- Kratesis/Andres level, Ziccarra level etc.

Intelligence- Ellie Knightfall level, Armistice level

Fighting Skill- Ishin level, Quintus level

Energy Projection- Strigidae level, Tranquil level

Something like that.

Please leave me out of this, thanks

#12 Posted by Trauma (5889 posts) - - Show Bio

^well then

#13 Posted by Tranquil (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

@_steel_ said:

Here we go

This is awesome.

#14 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16350 posts) - - Show Bio

@_steel_ said:

Here we go

That is helpful.

#15 Edited by ThisIsGonnaHurt (29794 posts) - - Show Bio

So, what, are we here to discuss our own characters or others'?

Pretty sure Vrakmul tops out on most of these scales.

#16 Edited by _Animus_ (2654 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16350 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a pretty cool idea.

#19 Posted by AmazingAngel (4121 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe we should get an actual scale going (maybe in the OP) and everyone can contribute their own stats. That would be pretty cool.

#20 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Suppose my dudes shining power would be his "superhuman intelligence"

#21 Edited by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

Unarmed Melee Skill: LeBeau -> Andres

Ballistic Skill: Cain

Energy Manipulation: Shiho

Style: Duchess :-P

Combat Technology: Stark

Computer Technology: Ellie Knightfall

Sublight Speed: Ishin -> Quickster -> Tranquil

Magic: Madame Blossom

#22 Edited by _Cerberus_ (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

Mother Of Blades>>>>LT.

#23 Posted by superstay (10463 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so

d^_^b

#24 Posted by _Quickster_ (1531 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Q needs to step up the game! Somehow.

#25 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Card thread isnt there a ranking system for powers? Maybe theres a way to integrate that into this idea

#26 Edited by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: That's really out of date though I think.

Somebody like Stark is on the same level in strength as somebody like Olympian_Champion.

lol

#27 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly in my opinion this is a bad idea, not everybody is going to bother to read on the other persons mini bio just to know how fast,strong,smart they are.

I mean what if a newbie joins the RPG and you ask him what's his speed Quickster or Ishin level? he's not going to know what to say lol!

#28 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Is it? Cause I just had my card made and its based off my current power levels :/

#29 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: I meant the gap division, what I said for example is a big gap.

@_cerberus_: Better get reading then. We all do it, even a new RPGer.

#31 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@the_last_arashikage: I meant the gap division, what I said for example is a big gap.

@_cerberus_: Better get reading then. We all do it, even a new RPGer.

Ohhhh gotcha. I'm not saying its perfect and it should be the foundation but it is a start and if the gaps are the only thing that needs tweaking then that would speed up the process.

#32 Edited by _Cerberus_ (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Maybe with the ones you've met some of us don't have time to read up on a bunch of bio's and then choose which comparison you want, I like the current power ranking system it's simple there's no need (My opinion) to make things more complex.

#33 Edited by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: True. The gaps really are the only thing "wrong" per say. But seriously, I don't think it's all that bad now. Just a few extra numbers lowering the division would do.

@_cerberus_: Being lazy is not an excuse IMO. It takes 30-40 minutes max to read all active characters bios. I would know, I've done it. A little effort goes a long way (My opinion that is, I know not everybody likes reading random stuff)

#34 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@_cerberus_: I kind of see your point too. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Most of the time these things lead to major power bumps and ability escalation as Character A sees Character B is slightly faster or stronger and they cant have that sh!t lol

#35 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: To be fair its not always lazy. Some people have restricted time and would rather be rping then researching bio's for power scales :P

#36 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@_cerberus_: I kind of see your point too. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Most of the time these things lead to major power bumps and ability escalation as Character A sees Character B is slightly faster or stronger and they cant have that sh!t lol

It barely works in marvel and they've got people paid to do it. If we can get a half decent thing we are in luck lol

#37 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair its not always lazy. Some people have restricted time and would rather be rping then researching bio's for power scales :P

How long do (we all) spend heckling and abusing each other? I think we waste a load of time which could be used more productively, it's the truth. You know it :P

#38 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8439 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a new power scale would work best if it were divided into street level and powerhouse. Its too hard to fit characters who throw tanks and characters who just bench a lot into the same scale. Its why the later numbers end up so wide as to nearly be meaningless (Mr. Majestic and Thing are both sevens, which is hugely misleading.)

In addition I think a ten point scale, rather than a seven, would give a lot more to work with. So you'd have a ten point street level scale, and a ten point powerhouse scale.

#39 Posted by AmazingAngel (4121 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: What about characters who have are Powerhouses in one category but are Street level in others, for instance Quickster is about a nine in powerhouse but probably about a five in strength in street level.

#40 Edited by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingangel said:

@lady_liberty: What about characters who have are Powerhouses in one category but are Street level in others, for instance Quickster is about a nine in powerhouse but probably about a five in strength in street level.

If you've got the speed of somebody like Quickster your strength becomes a powerhouse.

And those with the strength can contend with the speedsters (well, in Comics they do)

#41 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8439 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingangel: That's a good point. I think we could have a letter/number system. For example S=Street Level, P=Powerhouse, and then 1-10 would be the degree of power in each scale.

So Quickster could have, hypothetically, P9 Speed, S5 Strength, ect.

#42 Edited by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@the_last_arashikage said:

To be fair its not always lazy. Some people have restricted time and would rather be rping then researching bio's for power scales :P

How long do (we all) spend heckling and abusing each other? I think we waste a load of time which could be used more productively, it's the truth. You know it :P

But like was said before not all of us have 40 minutes of free time, a heckle could be as much as maybe five-ten minutes depending on the user.

and then there's always forgetting what you just read, it's not as easy to remember the capabilities of a RPG character than comic book character.

#44 Posted by _Animus_ (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingangel: That's a good point. I think we could have a letter/number system. For example S=Street Level, P=Powerhouse, and then 1-10 would be the degree of power in each scale.

So Quickster could have, hypothetically, P9 Speed, S5 Strength, ect.

I like that

#45 Edited by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@_cerberus_: Fair enough. I just think if people truly were so pressed for time they'd not be here at all. It takes a few minutes to read one bio of somebody you're RPing with.

#46 Edited by AmazingAngel (4121 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: Or maybe stack them side by side, where street level ends powerhouse begins, so once you break ten on street level (blue) you move into one on powerhouse (red)

I'm talking more of a physical chart though.

#47 Posted by _Animus_ (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

truth be told the only time I see a point to bio's is for battles. Tranquil's big on battles and so are a lot of other which is why I get the use of this. Me myself I write for the story of it and don't even bother with a bio because it takes away from the effect of learning a character

#48 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@_cerberus_: Oh and time stacks up. 10 minutes a day instead of heckling and you've made your 40 :P

#49 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@_animus_ said:

truth be told the only time I see a point to bio's is for battles. Tranquil's big on battles and so are a lot of other which is why I get the use of this. Me myself I write for the story of it and don't even bother with a bio because it takes away from the effect of learning a character

That's a good point.

#50 Edited by _Cerberus_ (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@_cerberus_: Fair enough. I just think if people truly were so pressed for time they'd not be here at all. It takes a few minuets to read one bio of somebody you're RPing with.

The confusing part for me if it was put into motion how would you rate stuff like

Intelligence? (Not everybody is a genius but neither is everybody an idiot who will be the average joe for intelligence ranking and who will be the average joe for skills such as Medicine,Surgery,Martial Arts,Math,ect)

or Explosives? (I don't think there are a lot of people that rank themselves in explosives)