User Lists: 0

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Some help would be great, I mean, like, I'm an ok writer, but my stuff is just peanuts to what other people have to put down.

So, yeah, any help would be mucho appreciato.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#605 Feral Nova  Moderator

@joey_destroyer_of_worlds: To be completely honest, the best way to get better at writing on the site is to just jump in and write. We've all (or most of us lol) have been in the spot your in. I was a horrible writer, my first RP post was just a sentence long, that's it lol. But once you jump in and write with other people you learn fairly quickly. Another thing that helps is to do some reading. Pick some RP's and read through them. Not saying read EVERYTHING lol just a couple to get some pointers on how to go about writing.

Make a character (with bio and powers and all that jazz) and look through some location spots, PM someone you would like to work with and see if they can do some interactions with your character. Overall people are really chill and willing to help people out.

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for arceus_aurelius-rex
Arceus_Aurelius-Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey_destroyer_of_worlds: ^^^

He's not a bad choice for a mentor. I never had one personally, but that's why my posts are still not up to par for the course.

He's also CVNU Batman, so that's a plus.

Not that there aren't a ton of other CV Batmen you could be learning from.

Neon_Leon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noob here! A mentor would be great for me right now. I'm kinda going for an artifact hunter to start, not entirely sure how to write that.

_Chimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noob here! A mentor would be great for me right now. I'm kinda going for an artifact hunter to start, not entirely sure how to write that.

I'm always willing to help someone get the swing of things. Feel free to PM me @_vex_

MTH_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#610  Edited By MTH_

Now I've been here for quite a while but, I still feel like my writing and my character and everything is lacking. So basically I'm looking for a long term mentor who can help me stay active

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I'm lookin to join the CVnU, but... well, I've got a few years to catch up on.

I've got a pretty well rounded character to start with I think, and I've played dnd a bit (been DMing this most recent campaign for a a few months), but I've never done message board RPing. I honestly have no idea how to break in and figured this'd be a good start.

Percival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdrummer: Hey, what's up. Welcome to the CVnU :)

If you have a character already created, I'd recommend putting them in your About Me section, so that when people click on the "Show Bio" next to your name, they get an idea of the character you're rocking. It's the most efficient way to give others easy access to your character.

Basically, there are only two rules on the CVRPG forum, and those concern God-Modding and No-Selling. God-Modding is when you say something happens that another character can prevent. You can't just kill other characters, even if it would make sense for your character to be able to. You can't destroy the world, or instantly become the president. You also cannot control other character's actions, like making them say or do something without their permission. God-Modding is pretty easy to avoid, it's almost a non-issue here. No-Selling, on the other hand, is more common, but equally easy to avoid. If you've ever played cowboys and Indians on the playground, what with the little gun-shaped hands, you'll understand No-Selling. If you shoot at someone and they say "It didn't get me!" over and over, well, that's No-Selling. It can also be present in non-combat situations, like if you walk through someone else's secure hideout super easy-like without even mentioning the force field or security guards. As long as you avoid these things while you're writing, you're good to go.

And what is the writing element, you may ask? Well, I don't actually think of CV like an RPG game; there's no leveling up, you don't have to kill enemies to increase your skills, and you can basically decide whatever happens to your character. It's far more like writing a giant novel, only you're writing one with about seventeen other people at the same time. We're a pretty small community, and most people, like me, have alternate accounts. As you can see, I have fewer than a hundred posts, but I've been here a while, so don't let the post count fool you. The RPG forum may look massive, but there are at most only twenty-five active writers at once. It's common, and sometimes even encouraged, to make alternate CV accounts that fit the character you're currently using, like Percival for me.

Essentially, CVRPG is a gigantic novel for you to contribute your part. If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM, or ask in this thread! Many people may have the same question, so you'll be doing them a favor by asking, as well as yourself. Good luck, have fun!

SecretSector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all! Can you guys let me know how you think about my character?

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secretsector:

He's not bad. Especially for a first character. Story is unorthodox. But opinions of a character can be better thought out when you see himn in action.

SecretSector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maverick_6: Thanks! Are there any threads where you think I could use to get started? I see you have a mercenary team. Any chance I could join?

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secretsector:

My goodness, I completely forgot to reply. I don't know if you are still interested but....

Gothic is a good place to start for most street level-middle tier. Characters. My PMC is a bit too complicated for a lot of people to join. I'd wait until you kind of lnow how everything works first.

Bibpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Howdy. I'm new here and after reading a few things here I have several questions and as far as I can tell this is the best place to ask. First as far as I can tell everything on the RPG section of this site is for the this CVnU thing, correct or are there other things to participate in? I also haven't found any way to post a character and if it isn't any trouble I would like to know where to look.

SolarHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bibpin:

CVnU is just the name of the main universe. Currently there are two fleshed out and active universes CVnU and CVbU. CVnU is by far the most active and most fleshed out. CVbU is our version of the Beyond universe and takes place in an time lime from the main universe 24 years in the future.

You don't really post characters here. What you do is make your character's bio in the About Me section of your user name and change your avatar over to something that represents your character (take a look at mine and my bio if you want an example of what I mean). There's no set way to do a bio, there's a lot of different styles people use but generally you want it to provide some basic information and an idea of the character's abilities and gear.

Once that's done, you can join in any of the active RPs or post some sort of introduction post somewhere so people see your character. You can also just drop a post in one of the busy locations (I suggest Gothic if you're not creating a high tier Superman level character. Gothic is basically our version of Gotham) and then let people know you have done so and someone will reply to you.

Bibpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619  Edited By Bibpin

@solarhawk: Alright thank you very much. I'll keep that in mind and look into everything a bit closer. I had already looked over Gothic when I first got on the site and I believe my character idea wouldn't be too powerful for it. I'll need to get a picture of my character and figure out how to explain the powers I have in mind without being too vague but past that I can't think of anything else I'd need.

Edit: I've seen people using pictures of pre-existing characters from different media, mostly comics, for their characters so I assume it would be alright for me as well?

SolarHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bibpin:

Sounds good to me. You can always further refine and explore your powers as you go too, I know I've done that a few times with especially complicated ideas.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#621 wildvine  Moderator

Is there like, RP boot camp? I need a hard drilling (phrasing) to get me back in the swing. Or maybe just someone to practice off for an unimportant interaction?

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaf82118d6
deactivated-5a4aaf82118d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

Is there like, RP boot camp? I need a hard drilling

I got you!

@wildvine said:

(phrasing)

*Leaves*

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#624 wildvine  Moderator

@_drake: 10-4 good buddy. I read you loud and proud.

Ultra_Girl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#625  Edited By Ultra_Girl_

I'd offer training but I'm not qualifie (I think)

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Just hit me up whenever you feel like writing lol Something unimportant is basically what I do around here =P

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627 wildvine  Moderator

That sounds about my speed.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Welcome to RPG :-) If you need anything, poke me and I can probably help out.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine:

*bat-net*

A wild DarkKnightDetective appears.

Avatar image for ali_sani_bashir
Ali_Sani_Bashir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wildvine: No camps

Trial by fire!
Trial by fire!

(Really though there is no shortage of users who will help you get back into things)

Ultra_Girl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:
@ultra_girl_ said:

That sounds about my speed.

Um what do you mean?

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#632  Edited By Hound_of_War
Avatar image for supreme_chancellor
Supreme_Chancellor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Welcome back. Do I need to introduce myself? It's Ferret :P

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#634 wildvine  Moderator
DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where do i even start in the RPG section?

Icefire_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#636  Edited By Icefire_Outlaw

@deathhero61: My recommendation is always the "What does your character think about the character above you (ic)" thread, there you can get to know what yours and other characters are like. From there you should start looking into people and places you're interested in having your character interact with, and you can actually start an RP.

I know I'm not officially a mentor here but I thought I could help.

illirica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm new here as well, and as long as @deathhero61 is hitting the newbie thread, I think I'm going to tag on to that as well and see if I can also figure out where to go and what to do. I've read through the general topics and am ready to jump in, but I'm trying to figure out the question of where and with whom.

So, I suppose the first question is are there any RPs out there right now that are actively looking for members, and are there any that really aren't? Sometimes you get one particular RP that has everyone in it, and another person will just get lost. Other RPs might only have a few members and really need some more. I'd rather join something where I can really get involved, so knowing where I'm needed is a good place to start.

That said, within the RPs that need people, what do they need? More heroes? More villians? More characters of questionable or variable alignment? I'll be honest, those are my favorites, but I've run plenty from all the categories. Do they need more male characters or more female characters? I have been in RPs where, for whatever reason, everyone spawned as one gender and some filling in of the other was needed. I'd much rather design characters to fit the spaces needed than try to fit a character into a place that really doesn't need them.

Also with respect to RPs, I'm probably in the 1-3 posts per day per character group, if that makes a difference. I will admit that I get rather bored with RPs where it might take a week for a response, so while those are great for some people, they're probably not best for me.

And, of course, if anyone has any general tips or pointers about the site specifically, I'm happy to have them. Thanks, all!

The_Custodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#638  Edited By The_Custodian

@illirica:

I was wondering when you'd get here =).

So a few things I can answer:

First, don't post any images until you have 25 posts (there are ban bots that look for spammers and sometimes autoban people who post images before 25 posts). For whatever reason this doesn't apply to blog posts.

Generally on here you make a character (or two or six or twenty) and rather than make it for a specific rp, you use it in 'events' that you see fit, so that this whole setting is basically one on going rp with smaller rps inside of it, if that makes sense. Take for example this character of mine. Right now she's taking part in a major story in which the universe is changing (an IC indication of a major rules change). I might then leave her on the shelf for a bit until another good story to use her in comes up.

Your posting speed is about right for this place, some people are fairly slow, some people are me and then there's everyone in between =).

I think you won't find anyone turning down new people in an event. I would not suggest the Animus event because it's very complex and already underway but there is a new one that @lichter and @dreadstroke are setting up that would probably be a good starting point, or you could get your feet wet by doing a closed RP with one or two other people.