#1 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

Enemy unknown

It is the year 2013 by the reckoning of the people of Earth. The question as to whether man is alone in the universe is supposed to be definitively answered as no, but so far Man's contact with the stars has come in the form of a few alien individuals or through what Mankind's supposed protector, the Peacekeepers, tell them. In fact, some would say that the question has slipped the minds of mankind, consumed by the drama folding between two fruits of the same branch. Homo Sapiens and Homo Superior, the last truly naturally evolved members of the genus after Homo Neanderthalis, Florensis, Erectus and more all met their ends as evolution left them behind.

These two, siblings really, have had an odd relationship, in some areas there is no strife, Homo superior is perhaps even worshipped as one would idolize a sports icon. In others they are villified, odd given that there are at least as many Homo Sapiens metahumans as there are members of Homo Superior with truly noteworthy gifts. And both still are met with the rise of the Robot question as thinking machines, products of both man and mutant, start to question their place among their fleshy brothers. But of course, there are those beyond the squabblings of two children of the same house and their rising children, those who care nothing for the Earth's internal strifes and struggles. They are those who are other, they are the Alien, the Xenos, the Unknown.

And Man, Mutant, and Machine alike fears the Unknown. Especially when the unknown brings nothing but fire and death with it, and the rantings of madmen who promise to wipe out the very same tree from which we were birthed from. For on this day, Labor day to some, S.E.T.I has finally found large amounts of inhuman signals. Wisps and echoes in reality.

To those who do not recognize these for what they are, this is a truly momentous occasion. The Earth is about to be visited by the Other in great numbers, and the optimistic welcome this as a time when all on Earth may step forward into the Stars on their own terms rather than wait for the scraps of the Peacekeepers. But to those who have been acquainted, these signals can only signal one thing.

Mankind's greatest enemy has found it's home.

The Hierarchy

A vast collective of aliens bound to the will of the Overseers under the promise of ascendency through all existence, the Hierarchy has but a few major goals.

To expand.

To grow stronger.

And to eradicate all species altered by the Masari so that they may be the sole inheritors of the Forerunner's legacy.

And man, and all those who resemble him, are the targets of their third objective. Since the Imperium of man founded on Chiron to the Peacekeepers forged out of the second world war, the Hierarchy has ever been a foe of man and his kin. Bound by the promise of power and half million year old tradition, the Hierarchy is ruthless, pitiless, merciless, it will not stop until it has taken everything the scions of the Masari have accomplished and ground it into ash.

But there is some doubt within the ranks of the Hierarchy, giving rise to hope that they can be overcome...splintered...defeated. It is a small hope, but one those who plan the defense against the Overseer's mad aggression and genocidal campaign have latched onto as a means to end the aeons long birthstar war.

Now the Earth fights for it's very survival to thwart it's most persistent foe.

Stuff, rules, notes

This is the sequel to the unfinished MARATHON 1 event and is open to anyone who wants to join

This is also just part of a saga, so don't expect all the plot threads to be resolved.

There will be two major but intertwined plot threads, but you're welcome to do your own thing

While selling the aliens is nice, it is not strictly necessary, just do what you think is reasonable for your character.

So far, cities offered to be points for the ground invasion are: Exemplaria, and Mutant enclaves around the world. Cities that are both fictional and probably won't survive the invasion are: Neo-Pompeii Sprawl, Black Tortoise pacific military base, New Mombasa,Rio de Grande, Qaraf, Patriot city, Nation of New Gods (Kalli) in the Mediterranean, Japan, Kenya, Brazil, Iran, America, and Australia .

Offering me more locations shall please me greatly.

If you want to be part of the PM discussion, simply ask me.

The Earth at first will be at a serious disadvantage until reinforcements arrive, so don't get huffy if at first things seem overwhelming.

The prelude to war Blogposts are also good reading, especially the #0s as they contain info about Hierarchy and Thoughtsin units.

For the issue zeroes, check Tombstone's blog posts.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the_undying_tombstone/blog/prelude-to-war-0-1-part-1-the-hierarchy-tombstone-/93394/

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the_undying_tombstone/blog/prelude-to-war-0-1-part-2-the-hierarchy-tombstone-/93479/

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/rpg-9/prelude-to-war-0-2-the-thought-sin-tombstone-s-rep-1491344/#6

And here's information on the peacekeepers

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/agent_california/blog/the-peacekeepers-dossier-and-mini-location/91375/

For 1, 2, 3, 4 (and hopefully 5 and 6 soon) check here

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/rpg-9/prelude-to-war-1-an-appeal-1492818/#23

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/rpg-9/prelude-to-war-2-amaranth-1492913/#6

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/rpg-9/prelude-to-war-3-dishonor-and-discovery-1493005/#2

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/rpg-9/prelude-to-war-4-castle-four-thirteen-1493356/#7

Will you be at the door when E.T comes knocking?

#2 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

cool.

#3 Posted by _Glacier_ (6347 posts) - - Show Bio

Great. Will post 5(or 6) today. =)

#4 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio

Daaaayumn. Mega-Event coming through.

#5 Edited by Pyrogram (39389 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage said:

And ironically, its complexity has lost me >.< I've got a feeble mind sometimes.

#6 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@the_last_arashikage said:

And ironically, its complexity has lost me >.< I've got a feeble mind sometimes.

this x 10 ^

#7 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I think the main point is invasion lol

#8 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: but what about the Halo Marathon rings?

I think Cerberus is going to have to stick their nose in tis :1

#9 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Katrin_Romanoff_004 (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in.

#13 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: Yup it's my mega multi-verse organization you probs never herd of it :P

But if things get too wanky I'm going to include them but only a small group :P

#14 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: If you're ever confused, just go with the flow and don't think too far ahead.

It's how I followed lost.

#15 Edited by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Spectrion (742 posts) - - Show Bio

No idea this was starting so soon.

#17 Posted by Honor Girl (1382 posts) - - Show Bio

O-o this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too complex for me, good luck to everyone! lol

#18 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@spectrion: Labor day seemed like the most convenient big holiday.

@honor_girl: Aliens come, shoot 'em up, if you want go to space to fight alien leaders and make them not blow up the universe.

That's the plot in a sentence. I just made it sound all big and dramatic.

In reality it's very simple.

If I had testicles I'd be one of those deep voiced guys who narrate trailers.

#19 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by Spectrion (742 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Agent_California (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Still thinking on how long the wait between Marathon 2 and 3 should be.

#23 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool! I may/will jump in. I'm glad I made this character in the right time lol

#24 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Should I read all the prelude things before it starts? <.<

#26 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio

@xorion said:

Should I read all the prelude things before it starts? <.<

It couldnt hurt

#27 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio

@xorion: Still trying to tell it to mine

#29 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to get paid and chop little green men

#31 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14818 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not doing this.

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if it's been pointed out to you, or if the other members of the COE are in the PM, but all major destruction has to be cleared by us.

And to eradicate all species altered by the Masari so that they may be the sole inheritors of the Forerunner's legacy.

And man, and all those who resemble him, are the targets of their third objective.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but this makes it seem like you're establishing that humans are a species altered by the Masari? If so, that's something else that would have to be cleared, as it alters history of every human NPC or character in the CVnU.

Aside from that, good luck with this, but I've got too much going on to take part.

#33 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14818 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm might join in on this on second thought.

#34 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: I'm only using cities I already either own or were given to me for the purposes of the Event. I can blow up my own stuff or that which people loaned to me, Ja?

As for man and the Masari, only one select group was uplifted 250k years ago, leaving the rest of man to evolve naturally, and as such Man is a target for the crime of space elves thinking one group of us was awesome.

#35 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity:

Per the CVnU rules:

Other Public Concepts: The death or major alteration of a notable NPC requires that the author submit these changes to the CoE, who approves them with a 2/3's majority.

This also applies to large scale destruction, or historical alterations in the large scale. (What constitutes a large scales is left to the judgement of the CoE)

The latter paragraph is the one that applies to you here, and it does need to be run past the COE. This is how we keep a cohesive canon in the CVnU and attempt to avoid the my canon/your canon issue where there were these huge events that happened all the time in Prime and the damage was never carried over or referenced by other players.

And if we wanna get technical, people don't actually OWN those cities. Those cities are owned by the CVnU.

#36 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: If so, run it with Kraty and Ishin, but note that I already have a lot of people who want to play and have hyped myself into a corner here. If I can't pull this off I'll probably have to temporarily retire again in shame. >_>

#37 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: BTW though, fictional cities like Exemplaria (sp) are free game if you have permission from the owner. So if people want to offer you places that THEY made and not actual places (IE Themyscira and not Detroit), that's all good. Everything else needs approval.

So what you need to do is write up an outline of what you're planning to damage and then PM the COE (Andres, myself, and Kratesis). If you get at least 2/3 approval, you'll be good to go.

Sorry, but it's all in the rules :P

#38 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

PM sent and event delayed, one of my doggies is sick and needs her mommy to make her feel better.

#39 Edited by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

How many PK's would you say are helping defend Earth?

and do they have any ground forces? (outside of Canada of course)

#40 Posted by Crimson_Vigilante (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. This..... This looks really cool! I'm definitely looking forwad to seeing where this goes!

#42 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@cara_hunter: The PKs have the ability to metaspace drop trillions of ships at a moment's notice this close to their core worlds...but Hierarchy vessels tend to be vastly better and the Hierarchy has better control of metaspace, allowing them to put a choke on reinforcements. Hence the Hierarchy holding the upper hand until the real heroes in the space scene show up.

As I said before, the Corps are assholes in over their heads and are weaker for it.

Of course, army to army the Hierarchy wins, but Earth has more badass individuals who can stem the tide, even push it back.

#43 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: so should Cerberus be included or do you think Humanity doesn't need their help?

#44 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to be awesome. I'm already thinking about how various characters will take this...

#46 Edited by Pro_Nelson (1513 posts) - - Show Bio

How do I incorporate my guy into this lol ? I'm still a bit lost.

#47 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@pro_nelson: He could be in one of the attacked cities, be on tour in the Peacekeeper fleet, or simply go to an attacked city out of a desire to let E.T phone home...through the barrel of a gun.

#48 Posted by Katrin_Romanoff_004 (957 posts) - - Show Bio

My team and I are in Examplaria at this time. Terrance actually texted me letting us know Latveria is under attack as well.

#49 Posted by Pro_Nelson (1513 posts) - - Show Bio