• 63 results
#1 Posted by mister number 10 man (236 posts) - - Show Bio

As a gay user I want to explore my character more on the vine, and we have done many different teams here on the vine but never a team tackling such a big/important social issue.

Any sexual orientation is fine to join (straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, bicurious, transgender, whatever). This will be a hero team so just keep that in mind.

#2 Edited by _Titan (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister number 10 man: So your idea, is to integrate LGBT characters, but making them a separate collective? I think it's better when their there own person, it's like me wanting to start an all black team, it seems counter productive. My opinion

#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would you want straight characters joining if you want to rep LGBT characters? 0.o

#4 Posted by .Longshot. (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Flucks said:

So your idea, is to integrate LGBT characters, but making them a separate collective? I think it's better when their there own person, it's like me wanting to start an all black team, it seems counter productive. My opinion

Agreed.

It's always good to see diversity on the vine, but when you take all of the diverse characters and group them together, it sort of defeats the purpose.

#5 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

Why would you want straight characters joining if you want to rep LGBT characters? 0.o

Just like gay straight alliances, it would be a way to better bridge the gap between the groups. Characters could be friends on the team and joining is a way to show support...

#6 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady Loveless

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

Just like gay straight alliances, it would be a way to better bridge the gap between the groups. Characters could be friends on the team and joining is a way to show support...

Got it :-)
#7 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady Loveless: This idea is just too crazy O_o I don't think even the master of disguise could make it work.

Kudos to anyone who gets that reference.
#8 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Longshot. said:

@Flucks said:

So your idea, is to integrate LGBT characters, but making them a separate collective? I think it's better when their there own person, it's like me wanting to start an all black team, it seems counter productive. My opinion

Agreed.

It's always good to see diversity on the vine, but when you take all of the diverse characters and group them together, it sort of defeats the purpose.

You guys aren't getting it, every post, every story has the majority at large being a straight story, love interests connections, whatever. This is just showing they can have their own story too and don't play second fiddle to the main stream.

Starting an all black team and this is not at all the same thing. Oh geez, this would be giving those that would want to join a chance to be fully be themselves on a team of heroes/heroines that are going through similar situations. A sense of togetherness is what this is for. Not to necessarily separate.

#9 Posted by .Longshot. (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless said:

@.Longshot. said:

@Flucks said:

Agreed.

You guys aren't getting it, every post, every story has the majority at large being a straight story, love interests connections, whatever. This is just showing they can have their own story too and don't play second fiddle to the main stream.

Starting an all black team and this is not at all the same thing. Oh geez, this would be giving those that would want to join a chance to be fully be themselves on a team of heroes/heroines that are going through similar situations. A sense of togetherness is what this is for. Not to necessarily separate.

That I get.

#10 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio

@.Longshot. said:

@Lady Loveless said:

@.Longshot. said:

@Flucks said:

Agreed.

That I get.

Should this all be included in the post at the top so people get it better?

#11 Edited by _Titan (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless: ehh, I stated my opinion, seems to be more factors going here than what happens in character. If it works for you guys then do it definitely

#12 Posted by Lady Loveless (722 posts) - - Show Bio

@Flucks said:

@Lady Loveless: ehh, I stated my opinion, seems to be more factors going here than what happens in character. If it works for you guys then do it definitely

Yeah my sentiments exactly, not sure if it would draw a crowd or not...just my wheels turning haha

#13 Posted by _Titan (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady Loveless: Whatever works for you, and maybe now the CVU can retire, seeing as how we'll know what women are actually women :P

#14 Posted by Agent9149 (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest i am surprised no one has made a comic book/ series centered on a lgbt crime fighting hero team....that would be amazing

#15 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio

If any hero is allowed to join what makes it any different than normal hero teams? O_o

#16 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

I can only think of five people here in the rp community that are out, and one of them barely even writes here anymore. I like the abstract but the concrete has to many problems to work out

#17 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Flucks said:

@mister number 10 man: So your idea, is to integrate LGBT characters, but making them a separate collective? I think it's better when their there own person, it's like me wanting to start an all black team, it seems counter productive. My opinion

This, just this. Making a team based on a minority is in of itself, a bad idea.

#18 Edited by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the others it's essentially saying 'We are here..! And by here we mean not with you...' .

I'm a newbie here but I would say write an RPG with a storyline based around being openly gay.

#19 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you a dude or a girl

#20 Posted by Legacy_ (10254 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister number 10 man : Don't alienate yourself. Join a team and explore the ins and outs of your character while being homosexual or lesbian. Sexual orientation should not be the basis of your character it should be a foot note. My main character is open to anything sexually but I don't go around trying to bang everything. In rpgs I'll make hints and nods without spelling it out in permanent marker lol You'll only pigeonhole yourself by making an exclusive team based on sexual preferences.

I hope you understood that xD

#21 Posted by mister number 10 man (236 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

to be honest i am surprised no one has made a comic book/ series centered on a lgbt crime fighting hero team....that would be amazing

There are a few that are not mainstream like Pride High

@_Punk_ said:

If any hero is allowed to join what makes it any different than normal hero teams? O_o

The difference is astoundingly stark, more of a community than a team. Most teams have a specific issue or mission they are trying to accomplish. This would be a team that would have the mission secondary to growth from within and communication within the team.

Taking the interactions of the team thread and combining it with each person's personal story. Groundbreaking not just because of it's difference in team make-up but how it is formatted and presented.

@Closure said:

@mister number 10 man : Don't alienate yourself. Join a team and explore the ins and outs of your character while being homosexual or lesbian. Sexual orientation should not be the basis of your character it should be a foot note. My main character is open to anything sexually but I don't go around trying to bang everything. In rpgs I'll make hints and nods without spelling it out in permanent marker lol You'll only pigeonhole yourself by making an exclusive team based on sexual preferences.

I hope you understood that xD

I am not alienating myself, this is just an idea I had wanting to use this account more. I have plenty of accounts on here and am on the majority of the teams that are presently active.

It is not in essence a team that is brought together based on their sexual urges, but that need for community and understanding. With that being said, I want us to be the first team to be openly accepting and taking a stance for not just LGBT rights but many different rights and social issues. A team that isn't afraid to take a stance for political issues, and step into the spotlight and be heard.

This is not about being gay, straight, whatever it is about togetherness and having our differences come together as a solid foundation. Blending into another team and exploring my character would be great, but I am ready to make an active change.

Again based on togetherness not sexual preference.

#22 Posted by Legacy_ (10254 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister number 10 man: Oh i get you xD

#23 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14399 posts) - - Show Bio

More power to you. Though I personally think integrating into the community in other ways would possibly be better. Isolating a group story wise based on sex race nationality etc is a but hit and miss.

#24 Posted by mister number 10 man (236 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdwardWindsor said:

More power to you. Though I personally think integrating into the community in other ways would possibly be better. Isolating a group story wise based on sex race nationality etc is a but hit and miss.

Thank you sir, your encouragement is much appreciated. This team is more of a group of meta human activists that are making a stance both with their heroics and politically.

If it flops, it flops, this is more of an experiment than anything. The general feedback alone has been interesting and hope will bring this fruition.

@Closure said:

@mister number 10 man: Oh i get you xD

Sorry if I came across rude or pushy.

#25 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont get why a character's sexual orientation should be of matter O.O

I have the same policy as Dan Aykroyd in Chuck and Larry: what you shove up your a$$ is your own business.

#26 Posted by mister number 10 man (236 posts) - - Show Bio

@Band Lone said:

I dont get why a character's sexual orientation should be of matter O.O

I have the same policy as Dan Aykroyd in Chuck and Larry: what you shove up your a$$ is your own business.

It goes beyond what happens in the bedroom...please read previous comments I have made to others to fully grasp the purpose of this team.

#27 Posted by _Titan (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister number 10 man: Theres nothing stopping you from just making it and seeing who wants in

#28 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister number 10 man:

Any sexual orientation is fine to join (straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, bicurious, transgender, whatever). This will be a hero team so just keep that in mind.

why would you alienate them in one team? why can't they just mingle with others, is this some kind of pride movement

#29 Edited by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@mister number 10 man: Can we just have it be a hero team that touches mostly in political matters SUCH AS the Homosexual/Bisexual/Pyrosexual stuff.... 

Spot the problem in my comment and get a cookie.
Guess who I'm secretly referencing in this comment and you get cake.
#30 Posted by _Zombie_ (10300 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say something that's bothering me, specifically with the people commenting in this thread. You people didn't get upset when LL proposed a team for female characters only. Hell, a lot of people embraced it and congratulated her for it. So what's the difference, here?

#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: Pyro and Nova?

#32 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_: You and your detective work >.< *Has a dump truck full of cookies and cake dump the load on her house*.
@ZombieBigfoot
Being female isn't and touchy subject, and the fact that there are groups of females in RL. I.E. Sisterhood is a word for a reason.
#33 Posted by _Zombie_ (10300 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: It just bothers me that people suddenly make a big deal when the subject goes from gender to orientation. I'm a little neutral on the topic of the team itself, but I just wanted to say that.

#34 Posted by _Titan (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

Should respect the guys thread. If it works out with a decent amount of members agreeing to his idea you'll feel stupid. And I don't see how much of a pay off it is if your the reason it dies. Let it ride, what will happen will regardless.

#35 Posted by _Zombie_ (10300 posts) - - Show Bio

@Flucks: Who is that directed at? Because I didn't say anything bad about LL..

#36 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZombieBigfoot: The fact is, I'm completely open to a team that is open to all characters of any race, gender, or orientation. I've never seen a team that isn't. However, I don't see why the main thing it has to be about is being of a orientation. I think a team of activists is a good idea, just don't think they should JUST be about any single problem.
@Flucks
No one has shown disrespect :P
#37 Posted by _Titan (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_: @ZombieBigfoot: Not you zombie. Just seems like he was pretty serious about it, no need to crack jokes about it. just give dude his good luck and leave it at that

#38 Posted by Urban_Spaceman (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

I like where this is coming from, but it's a little out there, not that the LGBT community is abstract, I'm a gay, my character is gay, but I don't quite see this working out, even though that'd be swell. Heroes could get together and show community support for LGBT issues and it is still possible for gay relationships to go on in major threads, I doubt many people would be upset by that at all, but forming a team around it doesn't seem that necessary. There aren't too many LGBT Rper's on here that I know of, the team would have to go pretty political and public, as happened on a starwars RP site where something like this occurred we just ended up with a heap of faux lesbians made by dudes who spent alot of the time sleeping with each other and you could probably go ahead and do everything you said in your initial post without having to start up a team for it :/ if you do though, good luck, I'd definitely check it out.

#39 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand where you are coming from, and I do like the idea, however rpg wise it would feel like it would isolating the characters, and might not work out too well. I'm completely open about being gay. Hell I was even dating another rpger for a bit :P Like even though CPG is about as straight as a 2X4 I do have some gay characters. I was even thinking about creating a Transgender character since it hasn't really been done yet from what I know.

Instead of a team why not make it just more of a community of a group of friends? Yes there can be rpgs with them fighting villains and stuff like that but it wouldn't exactly give them the feeling of just being thrown onto a team because they're orientation.

Like somewhat of an example could be in Runaways how they never really consider themselves a team, but instead consider themselves a family.

#40 Posted by Sergeant Arch Dornan (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

I understand where you are coming from, and I do like the idea, however rpg wise it would feel like it would isolating the characters, and might not work out too well. I'm completely open about being gay. Hell I was even dating another rpger for a bit :P Like even though CPG is about as straight as a 2X4 I do have some gay characters. I was even thinking about creating a Transgender character since it hasn't really been done yet from what I know.

Instead of a team why not make it just more of a community of a group of friends? Yes there can be rpgs with them fighting villains and stuff like that but it wouldn't exactly give them the feeling of just being thrown onto a team because they're orientation.

Like somewhat of an example could be in Runaways how they never really consider themselves a team, but instead consider themselves a family.

Vrakmul/Dreadnought/Megan/Malmfrior/Whatever alt I feel like using at the moment here: You're gay? I always thought you were standing with your girlfriend? Huh...learn something new every day.

#41 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sergeant Arch Dornan: I'm not sure what you're talking about? Who am I standing with? lol

#42 Posted by Sergeant Arch Dornan (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

@Sergeant Arch Dornan: I'm not sure what you're talking about? Who am I standing with? lol

In your picture. The person cosplaying as jean grey.

#43 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sergeant Arch Dornan: That is just a picture I took with a cosplayer lol Jean Grey happens to be one of my favorite comic book characters.

#44 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

When I had Slight, who was a gay character, it was hard writing homocentric scenarios because they either felt really forced, or just seemed like they were put there for no reason. However there was a serious bromance that i was involved with lol. Anyway, the point is any rpg focussing on a villain that isn't trying to surprise people because of the orientation or race etc, could come off as farcical.

In fact I was going to make this character gay as well, but I haven't seen a reason to even delve into that. We don't really know who here on the vine is actually lgbt. For that reason I don't know/think that it could work as a team

#45 Posted by mister number 10 man (236 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

This is brilliant and a thought I had come to as well.

Really I was starting to think about not just isolating this to just being an all gay team, but something that tackles other social issues.

However, maybe a "team" isn't best. Like it could be a place where people can hangout, sharpen their skills etc.

I was thinking about calling it the "Stonewall Foundation" (Stonewall coming from the famous riots in 80s)

#46 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister number 10 man: I actually know of the Stonewall thing, and I feel it'll be a good idea.

Even though we could have a thread for these characters to hangout. I would like to see actual rpgs being done from time to time so these characters could be developed more.

#47 Posted by mister number 10 man (236 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

@mister number 10 man: I actually know of the Stonewall thing, and I feel it'll be a good idea.

Even though we could have a thread for these characters to hangout. I would like to see actual rpgs being done from time to time so these characters could be developed more.

Yeah, exactly I think this doesn't need to be as big as WAL or COP, but I think we can get a small faction of people involved. Thanks for taking an interest in this!

#48 Posted by TheDealer (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know, every time I see that picture, I think of Alex and HOLY CRAP Cell Phone Girl's bad!

#49 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheDealer: Only for a bit she is :P

@mister number 10 man: I agree with you and welcome :D

#50 Posted by TheDealer (1031 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx
This is too much for me! I don't think I could handle it! You're the epitome of light bright goodness! The Sweetest Thing!  This is what I think of when I think of you!