Language Rules

• 57 results
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Since some of y'all are hermits and never venture out of this forum, I'm cross-posting a link to the site's language rules. There have been some changes, the most substantial of which is that censored versions of the f-bomb are no longer allowed.

For the full rules, please see Renchamp's thread here.

Avatar image for damian_carlisle
Damian_Carlisle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

you gotta be at symbol exclamation point star asterisk kidding me.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tarnation!

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How am I going to write Bradshaw now? That's like half of what he says!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd6e53f65ed0
deactivated-5cd6e53f65ed0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Insert FBomb here

Avatar image for damian_carlisle
Damian_Carlisle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Insert FBomb here

I'ma give you a warning but don't let it happen again.

K_O_D_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really????? This is just plain silly. But screw it i got plenty of ways of saying the word that shall not go said.

_Ophelia_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truck that.

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By _Nobody_

A character that can never f-bomb?

Wth?

How will I live now?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets be honest here. The mods are unlikely to read all of your two thousand word RPG posts. Even Mercy probably won't unless you are one of her circle. So nothing is really different. You can do as you please as long as nobody flags you and the mods aren't reading your posts.

_Ophelia_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nobody_: GODDURNIT NOBODY

Lets be honest here. The mods are unlikely to read all of your two thousand word RPG posts. Even Mercy probably won't unless you are one of her circle. So nothing is really different. You can do as you please as long as nobody flags you and the mods aren't reading your posts.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I mean....this isn't wrong. I don't go looking for things to mod, but people shouldn't be using the f-bomb on the assumption that I won't see it and they'll get away with it. They should be following the rules.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: And their shouldn't be auto-play ads, we shouldn't be randomly banned by the ban-bot, the site should be fixed after this many years, bugs shouldn't randomly knock the second into the stone age, our posts shouldn't have been eaten for six months and so forth. The staff cannot ask for one level of consideration while not living up to that level themselves.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_shogun: So...if you don't get caught, it's not wrong.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hound_of_war: Are the rules of a random internet site really matters of right and wrong? Are you a 'Bad Person' because you don't follow all the rules to the letter? And if that is the case aren't we all already way worse for pirating the heck out of MMA and comic books? Things which are actually illegal?

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hound_of_War

@the_shogun:

Oh, I'm not making a case for it. Lol

We're on the same page.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hound_of_war: Ah good lol. I was about to say, that would be some Puritan level moral nitpicking ;-P

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: And their shouldn't be auto-play ads, we shouldn't be randomly banned by the ban-bot, the site should be fixed after this many years, bugs shouldn't randomly knock the second into the stone age, our posts shouldn't have been eaten for six months and so forth. The staff cannot ask for one level of consideration while not living up to that level themselves.

I don't disagree with any of those things. They're all things that shouldn't be happening or should be fixed far sooner than they have been (or haven't in some cases). The amount of bugs that affect the forums on a site that is so forum heavy is mind-boggling and maddening and I have no problem saying that. But bugs that are results of things that the engineers do and don't do, don't have to do with the rules that the mods make. I'm sorry that you're frustrated about the bugs - I am, too. It doesn't mean that we get to ignore the rules. I know that the RPG forum functions differently from the rest of the site, but the rules still apply here. And as annoying as some of the rules are (I don't like the f-bomb being banned, personally) the RPG forum is still beholden to them.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_shogun:

It's really silly tbh. Giant Bomb can do it, Gamespot too. Now that they sold the site we should be able to change the rules.

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By The Psyentist

Wait, so I can't even used a censored F-bomb in my RPGs? Well, that will water down the dialogue quite a bit.

What about profanity in other languages?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: I agree that we don't get to ignore the rules. You cannot reasonably expect to not be modded if you put an f-bomb in the title of your post or you include an f-bomb in a reply to a mod or a thread that you know a mod is observing. So you cannot ignore the rule by behaving if the rule does not exist. However ignoring the rules is a straw man. It is not my position.

My position is that we are not obligated to follow the rules. We don't have to follow them just to follow them. Following the rules is simply a matter of risk vs reward now, because of the disappointing level of site performance. It is no longer a matter of respect because we have been treated extremely poorly.

If you can engineer a situation in which mods rare read your posts and as long as no one flags the post you are are free to f-bomb to your hearts content. It is not a matter of obligation or duty any longer, simply a matter of weighing the costs of getting caught vs the benefits of writing your posts the way you see fit.

There was a time in which I carefully followed every site rule that I knew about because I felt the staff made an effort to do the best they could do. The site was not perfect; it actually went down more in those days than it does now. But the site was miles better than it is now and more importantly the staff had not engineered a program that banned users for no fault of their own. (Spam is no excuse. Every large site in the world deals with spam and I've never seen a single one that deals with it this poorly.)

I didn't break the bond of mutually respectful behavior. The staff did. So now its broken. That's just the way it is.

arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooh, Renchamp broke the ruuule! Spoilering a word doesn't mean you didn't say it, and I'm sure he could've found a way to explain without violating the rule.

I call for him to be banned.

arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though, what the F-word is even the point of getting rid of censored versions of the F-word? That's just at-symbol-exclamation-point–star-asterisk-ing pedantic. (Seriously, it's frickin' pedantic as [expletive].)

What about "F-word?" Does that still count as...it?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... can we even refer to the f-word? Isn't f-bomb the same thing as the other things that are banned? What if we just said f-bomb or f-word in our posts instead of using asterisks?

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooh, Renchamp broke the ruuule! Spoilering a word doesn't mean you didn't say it, and I'm sure he could've found a way to explain without violating the rule.

I call for him to be banned.

^

arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what? I'm getting a distinct feeling right now. Nobody likes this rule.

@_nobody_: Maybe then you should explain to us what makes it so great and/or reasonable!

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By _Nobody_

@arquitenens: Don't go throwing your problems on me now, nobody gives a f-bomb!

;P

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Shogun

Lol! Perfect use.

arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nobody_: D:

No Caption Provided

I'm offended! Offended, I say!

But seriously, corny jokes aside,

Seriously though, what the F-word is even the point of getting rid of censored versions of the F-word? That's just at-symbol-exclamation-point–star-asterisk-ing pedantic. (Seriously, it's frickin' pedantic as [expletive].)

I really am curious about this. [Now also with the addition of "f-bomb."]

The words they banned...I don't think I use any of them, even censored, very often. Not even in posts. I don't imagine I'll suddenly, magically find more reasons to use it [f-word] than I used to. But I can be a bit immature and I love terrible humour, so I will make fun of the rules and stupid things and such as usual.

No Caption Provided

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nobody_: D:

No Caption Provided

I'm offended! Offended, I say!

But seriously, corny jokes aside,

@arquitenens said:

I really am curious about this. [Now also with the addition of "f-bomb."]

The words they banned...I don't think I use any of them, even censored, very often. Not even in posts. I don't imagine I'll suddenly, magically find more reasons to use it [f-word] than I used to. But I can be a bit immature and I love terrible humour, so I will make fun of the rules and stupid things and such as usual.

No Caption Provided

I get you!

Tbh, I'm infantile and f-bombs slip sometimes, but nothing I could find a way around, but for RPG itself I think it's a great loss. I mean, depending on the character I'm writing, the f-bombs will be part of his dialogue, because it makes no sense for, let's say, Punisher to use 'freaking' instead of 'f-bombing'. It's a stupid rule imo, but it's not like the site will ever hear us. We're a recluse society and it doesn't even make a move with all the glitches, so it's like a huge f-bomb on our faces followed by a deal with it =P

arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Also, awesome funny totally not-corny jokes and inquiries aside, I am sorry for the grief over this. I know it's not easy being the villain. But this is all nothing personal against you Mercy. Nothing at all [for me at least].

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mercy_

@the_shogun:

I was misunderstanding the point that you were making, so that's my bad. I get it, you're saying that the site has broken its covenant with you as a user by all of the bugs and lack of fixes/quick fixes, so you no longer feel beholden to following the rules set out by the site?

My position is this. Factually you are correct. There is a high likelihood that I will not see f-bombs in posts, and the RPG community is very insular so it is unlikely that anybody will flag offending posts. But the chance that people are taking is this. If I DO see those posts, or another mod does, or they get flagged, people will get warned for them.

@arquitenens:I understand! It's nothing personal on my end, either. Just doing my job lol.

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Yeah, don't read this the wrong way and assume we're mad at you, we love you on this Forum, the rule isn't your fault, it just damages a little bit of people's work.

You're still our favorite crazy cat lady, tho <3

_Fox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By _Fox_

@mercy_: Can we do this !@*% to substitute for it?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mercy_

@the_psyentist said:

Wait, so I can't even used a censored F-bomb in my RPGs? Well, that will water down the dialogue quite a bit.

What about profanity in other languages?

Accidentally deleted your post for a sec instead of quoting it, my bad!

The answer to your first question is no, you can't.

The answer to your second question is that the rules apply in all languages. To be clear...aside from the f-bomb stuff the rules are actually more lax than they were before. You can shit, damn, etc with no worries. And you can say those in all languages. The f-bomb or its other-language equivalents is banned.

K_O_D_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By K_O_D_
K_O_D_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: So sod off and bugger off a no go as well then

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_fox_: No, because that's censoring it as opposed to substitute.

@k_o_d_:Those are fine, those are substitutes.

arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orph does make a decent point with the alternate accounts rule. We should dress it up and submit it to our overlords for approval.

Not really; we already know what the response would be. I can even imagine [probably with at least 98% accuracy] the counter-arguments.

K_O_D_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Ok good I got plenty of those.

Sod,bugger,freck,frell I'm sure I can come up with more

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nobody_ said:

@mercy_: Yeah, don't read this the wrong way and assume we're mad at you, we love you on this Forum, the rule isn't your fault, it just damages a little bit of people's work.

I get it! I'm not taking hard feelings to it, I just want to make sure that the reverse is true as well. Appreciate you saying this!

And this even moreso :D

K_O_D_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with nobody I take no real offense really. Just a work around really.

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:
@_nobody_ said:

I get it! I'm not taking hard feelings to it, I just want to make sure that the reverse is true as well. Appreciate you saying this!

And this even moreso :D

It's your duty as a mod, after all!

Well, not that we have that many contenders xD

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything that needs to be said has been said, and much more eloquently. Except this.

The alt rule does not extend to RPG, for obvious reasons. So it stands to reason that, in an IC post at least, characters should be able to be profane. No one is insulting anyone or anything, and anyone offended by it either won't be on this forum, or can flag the post. At the very least someone should be able to talk with whoever is making these rules and explain the situation.

Democracy, amirite?

Thought I already responded to this, but the answer is nice try (genuinely), but no.

The overall site rules (that are on the TOS page and where that alt account rule is) was written with GB in mind and just shared with CV. The language rules are written specifically on CV and posted here only, not on a communal TOS page. The language rule applies to alternate accounts and to the RPG forum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor mercy lol

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@nikademus: Want your old job back? :P

ererfhgh dfrsdreuvbhgfv dfgdgfccc no ;)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mercy_

@nikademus: I'm having people send you their hate mail anyways!

Edit also goddammit, I don't know how that slipped past me -__-