#1 Edited by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE?

Do you remember the last President? No, not Bush, or Obama. Think harder. There might be some psychic blocks, just power through. I'll give you a hint: He never looked back. That's right! Orpheus Ziev, who up and vanished into thin air, presumed dead. But...isn't it weird no one ever thought about him? Well, there's a story behind that, and it's long and complicated, and most of it is irrelevant. What you need to know is that he has a son - alternate universe, don't sweat the details. Oh, and the President had somewhat terrifying precognitive abilities. So did his son. And they were both merciless sadists. Still, you voted for the other guy, am I right? But I digress; the son (his name's Philip) dragged his dad into some weird pocket dimension at the edges of the known universe.

Yes, yes, I know, this is a lot of exposition. Just bear with me a little longer, okay? We're almost at the part where you come in. Now where was I? Right! Three days ago, the meteorite shower. You saw it, I'm sure. Everyone did. Really freaky. Since then all the latent sensitives on the planet have been screaming, gibbering, or claiming they see paradise, at the end of a pink laser light. That was just the new and improved Airforce One coming in for a landing. Two days ago the clouds all took up fractal patterns and rained crystals. That was just some dimensional 'backwash', the remains of the pocket dimension retreating from ours. Yesterday, 10x10x10 cubes of complete impenetrable darkness appeared, one per country. Reactions by those who should have panicked were sluggish at best.

Today:

Orpheus and Philip Ziev appeared out of thin air, accompanied by a light show that could only be described as 'the epitome of the '70s'. A worldwide psychic 'net' was projected, allowing their message to be heard worldwide (SIRI also detected similar forms of psi-spectrum radiation in nearby space)

"We're very busy, so let's keep this brief," Orpheus said. "We need a bunch of you to fight to the death*. The reasons aren't important-" he's cut off by Philip.

"The reasons are very important, but cannot be comprehended by 3-dimensional minds such as your own, so we're not even going to bother to explain." Philip says, waving a hand dismissively. "We've reviewed archived timelines and found the 'KOV' tournament quite satisfactory to our purposes, so we're going to set up the next one. If you win, we'll grant you any boon within our powers to grant. If you lose...well, that depends whose patronage you're under."

"We have to finish preparing. If you're interested just step into one of the cubes. You'll be transported to your gladiatorial quarters, which are quite posh." Orpheus interjected.

"And of course, if you don't participate none of you will remember any of this. Matches will be available through the aethernet for viewing. Ta-taa!" Philip finished, and the two of them vanished with more eye-burning lights.

*(Does not actually have to be to the death)

The Basics

If you're not familiar with the KOV, it is THE big battle tournament. The winner is crowned King of the Vine! Past tournaments can only be described as EPIC, and are well worth the read. I'm Icarusflies, and I ran the tournament last year. Trust me, I'm not going to go easy on you.

If you want to join, comment in this thread or message me. State which character you will be participating with (if you're using an alt) AS WELL AS WHETHER YOU WILL FIGHT FOR ORPHEUS OR PHILIP. If you don't choose one, I'll choose for you. Your 'patron' will determine the bonuses or penalties you get in each round.

If I forgot to add you, please message me.

I will add links to each profile once the roster has been finalized

If there are any issues with anything, let me know.

ROSTER WILL BE FINALIZED ON MONDAY JUNE 30th, at NOON EDT. YOU MUST SIGN UP BEFORE THEN IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE.

STAGES

Each fight takes place on a planet within a timeline Orpheus or Philip have shaped to their liking, specially tailored to each fight. Since it takes time to warp space and time, stages will not be announced until matches have been set up.

Rules

• Standard RPG rules apply. No god-modding, auto-hitting, that sort of thing. You know the drill. If you don't, PLEASE get a crash course from an RPG trainer (ask around) so you're ready to get in the ring.
  • While it's not required, it's considered good form to have a full bio (or at least powers and equipment). You may NOT alter this during the fights.
  • Each round will have a designated time limit, post limit, or more likely, both. Don't vanish or you'll be disqualified.
  • Be courteous to your fellow competitors. Things do get heated, but keep that fire on the battlefield NOT in flame wars. OOC nastiness can get you disqualified, or even banned.
  • THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS. PERIOD.
  • You may only have ONE character in the tournament. No fighting with two alts.
  • DO NOT try to sway the judges to your favor. If I find you've been talking to a judge about your fight, you will be DISQUALIFIED.
  • Have fun!

Judging

Judging is still being worked out. Judges will be announced shortly.

JUDGES

THE HONORABLE Quintus Knightfall

THE RIGHTEOUS La Espada

THE AVANT-GARDE BecauseImaNerd

JUDGING CRITERIA:

Judging will be based on the following three categories: Fighting Technique, Wordsmanship, and Progression.

Fighting technique is a combination of how you attack, counter and sell. Basically the battling part of the battle.

Wordsmanship is basic grammar and spelling. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be clear you tried, and at LEAST ran it through a spell checker. Bonus points for sweet metaphors, etc, and if your posts are enjoyable reads.

Progression is the story you tell. Did you move things forward? Did you develop your character, the setting, the tournament, anything? Has anything changed since the beginning of the match? Did we learn anything about your character, or how they think?

If you're curious about last year's tournament

THE CHALLENGERS [Sign up is open until June 30th]

Philip's Paragons:

1. The cunning....Cassius Knightfall!

2. The daring...Der Arzt!

3. The amaz- uh...awe inspiring AmazingAngel!

4. The adept...Atomikill!

5. The valorous Victor Grey!

6. The katastrophic...Kitsune_Squad!

7. The x-cellent...Xorion!

8. The life-threatening...Lynx!

9. The vengeful...Vlad Tepes Dracula!

10. The terrific...Tranquil!

11. The powerful...PremiumRook!

12. The no-nonsense...No_One!

13. The unflinching...Umbra Sorcerer!

14. The valiant...Valken!

15. The mettlesome...Mia!

16. The charged-up...Cellphonegirl!

17. The delightful...DwRonin!

Orpheus' Optimals:

1. The peerless...Peak!

2. The mighty...MasterMouse!

3. The spectacular...ShadowSwordsmaster!

4. The incredible...Imperator Imperatorum!

5. The miraculous...MrYashimora!

6. The gargantuan...Goliath!

7. The threatening...Thisisgonnahurt!

8. The wonderful...Web Flotsam!

9. The masterful...Moira Marquis!

10. The stupendous...Sojourn!

11. The fabulous...Feral Nova!

12. The pragmatic...Puzzler!

13. The charming...Clara Mass! (DISQUALIFIED)

14. The violent...Vex!

15. The brilliant...Blank5nap!

16. The magnificent...Mach!

RESERVED SLOT: Risky

RESERVED SLOT: Akira Overdrive

ROUND ONE

Each fight will take place in its own thread. The combatants are in charge of setting up these threads. Each combatant may make up to four posts (this does include the opening post). The round will end Wednesday, July 9th at 11:59 pm (EDT). There will be NO EXTENSIONS. If neither combatant posts, both will be disqualified. . If you have any problems, questions, etc, please contact Icarusflies. Now then, the matchups!!!

Note: If you have issues with your stage, please let me know ASAP and I'll give you a new one. If you have special conditions for your fighter (eg, henchmen or multiple characters) please take it up with your opponent.

Der Arzt vs. Vlad Tepes Dracula

Setting: Goth club. Actually built in the remains of ancient catacombs, this club isn't for posers. Real skeletons still hang out of decaying tombs, eerily illuminated by strobe lights. Music blares from hidden speakers. You can buy hundred-year-old wine, or cheap gin, the bartender doesn't care. The dance floor is slick and loud, packed with the kind of crowd who like to party with the dead. If you wander far enough, you'll find uncorrupted tombs and the city subway system.

AmazingAngel vs. Cassius Knightfall

Setting: ReflectcitytictcelfeR. This sprawling metropolis used to be on the edge of a lake before something went horribly wrong. Now Reflect is mirrored in the sky. If you ascend above the highest building the center of gravity flips and you'll end up in tcelfeR. It's the same, just floating upside down in the sky, no big deal.

Cellphonegirl vs. Valken

Setting: UBIK Space Station. This was once a major station for the training of inertials, but it's now abandoned. Orbiting the moon, gravity is reduced. All systems are still functional, however, and there are high-speed pods capable of reaching the earth ocean or the barren lunar seas.

Premium Rook vs. Kitsune Squad

Setting: Drone factory. The drones are produced, and they take off at supersonic speeds without missing a beat. And you're smack-dab in the middle of their runway. It's connected to the factory proper, full of strange machines, and an open field surrounded by electrified barbed wire to keep out any prying eyes. Oh, and there are mines in the field, got to mention that.

Xorion vs. Mia vs. No One

Setting: Martian Colony. Once prosperous, the colony has fallen on hard times. The natives are impoverished and sick. The settlers are impoverished and hungry. Crops wilt in the fields, and children with strange eyes flicker just out of sight. The planet is terraformed enough to breathe, but the air is thin, and the dust is heavy.

Tranquil vs. Atomikill

Setting: Ghost Refinery. A bleak black-steel building full of the screams of the damned. Here, souls are technologically harvested and refined into a variety of government-controlled consumer drugs. Stay away from the ghosts. Stay away from the drugs. You've been warned.

The Umbra Sorcerer vs. Lynx

Setting: Reeducation Complex. Those who have broken the law are stored here until they are ready to be productive members of society again. Each one is in a glass cube with a brain-dampener and life support. Jailers are watching everywhere, though the walkways are deserted.

Peak vs. Feral Nova

Setting: Mount Olympus. The gods have long since abandoned their home on the top of the mighty mountain, but they left a lot behind. From here you can see all of Greece, as well as much of Rome, and Turkey. If you fall though, it's game over...even Hephaestus was maimed by that.

ShadowSwordmaster vs. Web Flotsam

Setting: Troy. They've been battered for a while thanks to the whole Trojan War thing going on, but Troy still stands strong. You can fight in or out of the city walls, the army is too tired to do much about it unless you actually try to open the gates. Try to catch an eyeful of Helen...I hear she's quite the catch.

Moira Marquis vs. Vex

Setting: Under the pyramids. The tombs are still fresh, full of pitfalls and traps, and probably a few dangerous animals. Once you enter, it's unlikely you'll leave alive at the best of times. Maybe you'll encounter a few unfortunate grave robbers, or the lost architect.

Sojourn vs. MasterMouse

Setting: Poltava. The ill-fated fort is torn between the Swedish and Russian armies. It's mid-summer and swampy, there are soldiers everywhere, and the fort in question is honestly kind of a dump. Both Peter the Great and Charles XII are both around somewhere, trying to get their armies to act slightly more competent.

Clara Mass vs. Blank5nap

Setting: The hanging gardens of Babylon. Terraced gardens and flowing irrigation streams. There are flora from all corners of the known world, and gardeners whose entire lives will be spent in this place. Inside are cool alcoves and glassy ponds.

Goliath vs. Mach

Setting: Gobi Desert. Sand swirls into dunes as far as the eye can see. Some are almost as tall as mountains. The heat is oppressive, with no relief in sight. Mirages dance in the distance. Bells and voices can be heard around you. Sometimes a caravan comes through; not all of these are composed of humans.

Mr. Yashimora vs. The Puzzler

Setting: Qin Shi Huang's mausoleum. Here the Terracotta Army lies in wait for unknown enemies. That might mean you. Don't break too many things, you never know what might come out. The mausoleum stretches on a very long way, and each chamber holds something different.

Imperator Imperatorum vs. Thisisgonnahurt

Setting: Viking Armada. The longships are prepared for a long, long voyage. There are hundreds of them, carrying warriors, supplies, and livestock. The sea around them is half-frozen and rough. Below it lurk monsters. The vikings are not thrilled to see you, but they will not attack you on sight.

Victor Grey vs. DwRonin

Setting: Abandoned Colony #815. Deep underground, this colony was established for civilian safety during a series of seemingly endless wars. Due to the longterm nature of the colony, there are excellent substitutes for sunlight, hydroponic gardens (now grown wild), and machines of all size and shape still mindlessly fulfilling functions that have long since become obsolete. Two shafts lead to the upper world, but it's a nightmare...or is it?

Advancing to Round 2:

1. Web Flotsam (O)

2. Mr. Yashimora (O)

3. Der Arzt (P)

4. Vex (O)

5. Goliath (O)

6. Blank5nap (O)

7. AmazingAngel (P)

8. Cellphonegirl (P)

9. PremiumRook (P)

10. Tranquil (P)

11. The Umbra Sorcerer (P)

12. Feral Nova (O)

13. Sojourn (O)

14.Thisisgonnahurt (O)

15. DwRonin (P)

16. No_One (P)

ROUND TWO

RULES: Each fight will take place in its own thread. The combatants are in charge of creating this thread. It's not mandatory, but I would appreciate it if you had both combatants USERNAMES and 'KOV' in the thread title. Each combatant may make up to five posts. This DOES include the opening post. The round starts immediately, and will end at 11:59 pm Tuesday, July 22.

There will be NO EXTENSIONS. If neither combatant posts, both will be disqualified. If you have any problems, questions, etc, please contact Icarusflies. Now then, the matchups!!!

Note: If you have issues with your stage or bonus conditions (e.g, if they seem unbalanced), please let me know ASAP and I'll give you a new one. If you have special conditions for your fighter (e.g, henchmen or multiple characters) please take it up with your opponent.

---

"So we've had to compromise on the stages a little bit, really dig into the obscure timelines," Philip said, addressing his champions.

"He's obsessed with cyberpunk. I prefer monuments to grandeur. We compromised." Orpheus said to HIS champions.

"Anyway, go proceed to showing me you're actually competent. You've weeded out the weaklings, I'm counting on you," Philip concluded.

"Go kill my enemies and I'll give you stuff. I'd say more, but I gave enough speeches when I was President and you get the idea," Orpheus finished.

Philip's Paragons have access to a fully operational military hospital (with a bit of future-tech sprucing up). All but the most grievous of wounds can be treated, and equipment can be restored.

Orpheus' Optimals are in the care of the finest Egyptian doctors, for one-on-one care. All but the most grievous of wounds can be treated, and equipment can be restored.

---

Sojourn v. AmazingAngel

Setting: Marquis de Sade's End of the World Delite™. This pleasure/pain palace (bar and grill) is situated in a stable time loop at the end of the world. Watch in awe as the sun consumes the Earth, all from the comfort of your very own iron maiden or plush arm chair! Opium and other drugs are provided on demand, and I hear they have buffalo wings to die for.

Sojourn: "I once knew an alternate you. You were my vice president, and I hated your guts. But if you lose, I'll look like a fool. So I put in a good word with the Marquis himself, and he says he's put a little something extra in the buffalo wings, if you know what he means. It should give you the edge." -Orpheus

AmazingAngel: "Look, you're a soldier, and it's my job as your commander to make sure if you die, you die making me look good. The bartender owes me his life (now granted, I was threatening to take it from him), and so he'll put something in the beer that will give you a boost. Oh, and just FYI, if you die I can still make you regret losing." - Philip

Vex v. PremiumRook

Setting: Salem Amusement Park. After a certain point, you just can't get the rush you want while obeying the laws of physics. That's where Salem Amusement Park comes in! Our fully trained witches will send you for a spell with over 50 rides and games! Both money and souls accepted. Please ignore the angry mob at the front gates.

Vex: "I tried to rig the games in your favor, but so did Philip so we ended up in a stalemate. However, I've managed to get you a familiar to help you out. It's a mongoose, and as a familiar it has some special abilities you can take advantage of, as well as knowing its way around the park." - Orpheus

PremiumRook: "I'd have rigged things for you, but dear old Dad tried the same thing, so as a result none of the games are rigged. I was able to get a familiar though; a king cobra! As a familiar, it's got some spooky abilities I'm sure will come in handy, and can act as your guide in a pinch." - Philip

Feral Nova v. Der Arzt

Nero and the Caesars violin concerta. Violins like you've never heard them before! Leave and you'll be executed! Not that you'll want to, with the sweet electric riffs and incredible pyrotechnics. Rome will burn, and they'll love every minute of it! Held in the Philharmonic Colosseum, like the Colosseum but smaller and with less blood*

*Less blood not guaranteed

Feral Nova: "Nero's overrated. There are so many better Roman despots. But I digress. You need to crush your enemies like Nero crushed classical music, so here's the schedule for when and where the pyrotechnic effects will go off, as well as where the extras are stored. Here's a hint: Pretty much constantly, and probably in chariots out back." - Orpheus

Der Arzt: "You're a little punk, you love this kind of thing, right? If you were in my squadron I'd make you shape up, but since you made it this far I guess you're doing something right. I'll give you two tips: First, cut your hair, and second, here's a map of the Colosseum's underground, including where the extra instruments are stored. It's a pretty pathetic underground compared to the real Colosseum, but I digress." - Philip

Mr. Yashimora v. Tranquil

Setting: Gallipoli Paintballpolooza. Relive the final charge with this no-holds-bar paintball arena! Settings match the original landing perfectly, and REAL Axis and Allied soldiers have been resurrected to fight for you! Are you ready to win the Great War (II)?

Mr. Yashimora: "I'm the President, so you get the Allied forces. They've been nerfed a little bit since the place insists on being 'fair', but I managed to get them real weapons instead of paintball guns, which evens things out a little...if 'even' means, 'we win'. Your gun is still paint though, sorry." - Orpheus

Tranquil: "You're fighting with the Axis, which I apologize for, but I'd be happy to murder them all when you're done here. In the meantime, fight with what you've got. I swapped out their paintball guns for real weapons when no one was looking, so you should be able to take out the other team without too much trouble. The whole franchise seems in poor taste, if you ask me." - Philip

Blank5nap v. DwRonin

Setting: Pyramadical™ Skatepark and X-treme Sports. Pyramadical= pyramids + radical! Skate down glass and still pyramids (so much better than the original), which have been illuminated with LED lights! Ski down the Sphinx's nose! Take one of our dune buggies for a spin in the sand, but WATCH OUT FOR THE PITS! RADICAL!

Blank5nap: "I really hope Osiris rises from the dead and eradicates this entire timeline. When we're done here I'll probably destroy it myself. Do you think it would be better to turn the entire desert to glass, entrapping the skate rats inside, or something else? I'll think on it. In the meantime, nitrox has been added to your dune buggy's fuel tank." - Orpheus

DwRonin: "What an awful world. Anarchy is good in moderation, but these people are just lazy. I can't tolerate laziness. I'm not sure how we ended up with this timeline to be honest, both of us hate it. I might just have to reform this world when we're done here, make them build a few monuments to me. Your skateboard has a rocket boost by the way." - Philip

Thisisgonnahurt v. No One

Setting: Big Pharma Phun House. A gigantic bouncy castle filled to the brim with free prescription samples and your favorite mascots! Remember kids, drugs are Phun with Big Pharma! Make sure to try our gene resequencing serums!

Thisisgonnahurt: "I'm going to have to take some notes on this place. I was going to go Big Brother style when I took over the world, but this consumer-friendly mind-numbing drugs thing is a fantastic idea. I would highly recommend swallowing a few of the Alice pills - they'll let you change your size. They're hidden by Vito the 'Vitamin' mascot." - Orpheus

No One: "Bit of an eyesore, but I have to say the concept is ingenious. All these kids bouncing around will grow up to be good little obedient cogs in the machine. I would suggest taking a few of the Dwarf pills - they'll let you change your density. They're hidden by Allen the 'Allergy' spray mascot." - Philip

Web Flotsam v. Cellphonegirl

Setting: Ghengis U Khan do Karate Too™! The mighty Khan's dojo is situated on the rolling Mongolian steppe, and has all the latest amenities, like fresh water, and goat cheese! Daily sparring matches will prepare you for even the toughest challenges! Losers will be decapitated and thrown into a pit.

Web Flotsam: "Silk Road it is not. All you need now is Alexander the Great teaching breakdancing, and we'll have achieved...something. I don't know what. To help you win you get a horse that knows karate. Don't ask." - Orpheus

Cellphonegirl: "This is one way to train soldiers I guess. I wonder if they break boards, or just skip straight to disembowling barehanded. Also, because this timeline is on the border of probability, you get a horse that knows karate to make sure you win this. The Mongol empire is never going to fall with horses like that." - Philip

Goliath v. The Umbra Sorcerer

Setting: Alexander the Gr8's Breakdancing Squad. Alexander the Great conquered most of Europe, explored Egypt, and is the funkiest king North of the Nile! Learn some sweet moves from the Hellenistic prince himself, and then rampage into Prussia to cause some mayhem, before dancing on their graves. The location of the Squad varies; inquire at the Reception Tent for details.

Goliath: "You are a giant lizard, and I admire that. Please don't eat Alexander the Great. If you learn to breakdance, I'll have not-seen everything. I'm not completely sure how to give you the edge here, since you're a giant lizard and all, but Cleopatra's here for some historically inaccurate reason, and she has some snakes." - Orpheus

The Umbra Sorcerer: "You could always turn the breakdancing into capoeira, make it useful. Maybe watch Alexander, he's still a great conquerer and he must have some reason for all this. To assure your victory Nero's here - I guess he's on tour, even if it is historically inaccurate - and he has a violin that is literally on fire." - Philip

Advancing to Round 3:

1. PremiumRook

2. AmazingAngel

3. Der Arzt

4. Tranquil

5. DwRonin

6. Web Flotsam

7. No One

8. The Umbra Sorcerer

Round 3

RULES: Each fight will take place in its own thread. The combatants are in charge of creating this thread. It's not mandatory, but I would appreciate it if you had both combatants USERNAMES and 'KOV' in the thread title. Each combatant may make up to five posts. This DOES include the opening post. The round starts immediately, and will end at 11:59 pm Thursday August 8.

There will be NO INDIVIDUAL EXTENSIONS. If neither combatant posts, both will be disqualified. If you have any problems, questions, etc, please contact Icarusflies. Now then, the matchups!!!

Note: If you have issues with your stage or bonus conditions (e.g, if they seem unbalanced), please let me know ASAP and I'll give you a new one.

---

"Now normally I'd be gloating about now, but we have bigger problems," Philip said. "HE's escaping containment." He frowned, checking an old fashioned chronometer. "Time's going backwards. We don't have long.

Orpheus tapped his cane on the floor meditatively. "I personally would rather not have to take HIM down. HE has a way of devouring precogs in a most unpleasant manner."

"Well, we have a full roster of wanna-be champions who we can get to fight HIM for us. We just have to continue with this little tournament (even if it does mean forgoing our wager) and find our best chance against HIM." Philip placed the chronometer on the glass coffin before him, wiped dust off his hand, and stood.

"What are we waiting for? Round three awaits." Orpheus said, joining him.

---

Before the round begins, all competitors had access to state-of-the-art healing pods as well as matter duplicators for lost weapons and utilities.

---

No One vs. Tranquil

Setting: The caverns of Gliese-208-F (common name: Suga). The sixth planet in the Gliese system, it is riddled with caves. The entire interior is one vast cavern system, millions of them, carved by water from the global sea running into the core of the planet. There is no light in the caverns, and bottomless rivers flow silently onwards, to the planet's core.

Orpheus: "If you want torches, flashlights, sunsticks, trained will o' the wisps, or jars full of fireflies, they will be provided. Too bad you're not blind like me or you wouldn't have any trouble at all."

Philip: "If that's not to your liking, there's some sonar headgear. Looks like bat ears, straps to your head, boom: You can see with sound. There's a lot of interference in the caves though, thanks to the Giant Bat Things that are the top of the food-chain, so it's not as accurate as it could be."

AmazingAngel vs. DwRonin

Setting: Fractal Machine. A long time ago, someone decided to make a factory that made factories. Unfortunately, they forgot the off switch. The factory has been making factories that are bigger, and smaller, than itself for decades now. They go on seemingly forever, from cavernous rooms that seem to have no end, to ones you can only see under a microscope. There are hatchways that allow you to travel from one to the next. The machines never stop.

Orpheus: "There's some heavy machinery still lying around from the original construction. Since it's duplicated as well, there's a lot of it. There are crate lifers, cutters, and for whatever reason, bulldozers."

Phillip: "Also, I've provided some magnet packs that will allow you to stick to most anything, or disrupt some of the machines. Use with caution, since the machines can get angry."

Web Flotsam vs. The Umbra Sorcerer

Setting: Temple of a Thousand Faces. High on a mountain, there is a temple. It is made of an unknown stone, by worshippers of an unknown god. Lining each wall are masks. They are of all shapes and colors, and seem to be watching. And waiting. Some say they hear voices from the masks. Behind the alter are the catacombs. Here too, are masks. The temple is large, and the sections are separated by screens of something that may or may not be human skin. Each room holds a grotesque statue.

Orpheus: "I hear that there is a man who visits the temple once every three days to deliver special masks. He gazes at the moon as if to check that it doesn't fall from the sky, and departs, muttering about a terrible fate."

Philip: "In other words, try on the masks. You never know what they'll do. But if you want a little something extra, have some military surplus invisibility gear."

PremiumRook vs. Der Arzt

Setting: Turtle Island. Yes, there are a lot of turtles, but that's not how this island got its name. The entire island is on the back of a giant turtle, that slowly swims through the waters of the Terchet Sea. It is a tropical island complete with sandy beaches, dense jungle, and ancient ruins, and a freshwater spring. Do not harm the turtles here, for the consequences are severe.

Orpheus: "On the island there is a special fruit. Eat of it and your potential will be unlocked. Or you'll hallucinate. One or the other."

Philip: "Scuba and snorkeling gear is stashed in a trunk near the mouth of the river, along with two recipes for turtle if you want it."

SPECIAL MATCH: KOV VII FINAL

"Is one champion really enough to face HIM?" Philip pondered. "We need a backup plan."

"I have something that might work. I removed a fight from the timeline a while back, thinking I'd save it for a rainy day. You never know when a fight to the death is needed. We can set it here and now and crown a second champion." Orpheus said.

"You removed a battle from the timeline for 'a rainy day'? You couldn't play cards or make it stop raining?" Philip asked, stunned.

"What can I say? Bloodshed is so much better than bridge," Orpheus said, shrugging.

Stryke vs. Cain

Setting: Candy Kingdom. This is not a peaceful place. The Gummy Bear army rules with a squishy fist, their weapons of war capable of decimating sugar and flesh alike. Everything here is made of candy. The ground, the citizens, even the clouds. It's sweet until you see the prison camps for the off-brand candy. The Gummy Bears do not like intruders, but those who live in fear would welcome outside aid.

Advancing to Round 4

1. Web Flotsam

2. AmazingAngel

3. Der Arzt

4. Tranquil

Round 4

RULES: Each fight will take place in its own thread. The combatants are in charge of creating this thread. It's not mandatory, but I would appreciate it if you had both combatants USERNAMES and 'KOV' in the thread title. Each combatant may make up to five posts. This DOES include the opening post. The round starts immediately, and will end at 11:59 pm Saturday, August 23.

There will be NO INDIVIDUAL EXTENSIONS. If neither combatant posts, both will be disqualified. If you have any problems, questions, etc, please contact Icarusflies. Now then, the matchups!!!

Note: If you have issues with your stage or bonus conditions (e.g, if they seem unbalanced), please let me know ASAP and I'll give you a new one.

----

"Well, it looks like my freeze-dried champions may have still had some chronal frostbite. One of them seems to have vanished. At least we have one left. 'Stryke' will have to do." Orpheus shrugged nonchalantly.

"So it will be Stryke, and one of our last candidates against Him? Who do we have left. Datamancer might be able to trap or corrupt His worlds, unless he in turn is corrupted. The undead one might prove problematic since undeath is His domain, but the holy influences could be the wildcard we need. The multiple souls in the punk could be confusing or provide extra firepower, but they also provide extra fodder. The mentalist will give us the best analysis of how we might fare if we stepped in ourselves. Tactically though, there are too many ways this could go. I reached out to see if I could twist the timelines and..." Philip was getting revved up, his eyes gleaming sickly. "He bit me."

"He can reach that far?" Orpheus twisted his cane between limp fingers.

Philip only laughed.

Time was running out.

Web Flotsam vs. Tranquil

Setting: Maze of Death. First of all, it's not actually a maze. It's actually a house in the middle of a forest. Beyond the forest is nothingness, permeated by white noise. In the house are twelve people. They are suspicious, murderous, and confused. They do not notice you. They cannot consciously notice you. They are completely absorbed in their own little nightmare. In the woods are rolling cubes. They print meaningless phrases in the dirt. If something is put into them, they will duplicate it, though the new item will be fragile and flawed.

"We need to prepare you for what you might be up against. This is a recursive world, which is a start." Orpheus said.

"I left a pile of guns for you. They're all broken and fused into Non-Euclidean shapes. I don't think there's ammo-" Philip drifted off, staring into space.

Amazing Angel vs. Der Arzt

Setting: Bloodmoney, Post-Atomic Town. It's been about twenty or thirty years since the bombs fell, but things are being rebuilt. There are still high radiation levels, and most of the people range from 'sick' to 'terrifying freaks of nature', but life prevails. The town in question is small, devoted to farming, built among the ruins of a vaster city. The residents live in fear of outsiders and each other. Intelligent giant rats are a constant menace. High above, the last astronaut in (or above) the world beams down music and radio signals as a reminder of what has been lost.

"Philip what is this? This isn't what we discussed." Orpheus said, his voice low and dangerous.

"Home," Philip said, beaming beatifically into the distance. He snapped back to a semblance of attention. "And the fighters get oranges. Just a pile of oranges. The number of oranges will be constantly changing. Oranges."

Advancing to the Final Round:

1. Tranquil

2. Der Arzt

FINAL ROUND

RULES: The fight will take place in its own thread. It is up to the combatants to decide who will set up the thread. Each combatant may make up to five posts. This DOES include the opening post. The round will start immediately, and ends at 11:59, Sunday September 7th.

As usual, Icarusflies is available for consultation/complaints.

Before the rounds begin, fighters are allowed to fully heal and restore their equipment in restoration pods, OR have their current self replaced with the version that existed at the time the tournament began.

---

With the sound of dust, the great metal coffin rends apart. From the wreckage steps a man with laughing eyes and too many teeth. Around him, time falls apart.

Say hello to Jory everyone! Your favorite guide to life, half-life, and what lies beyond! He enjoys smooth jazz, retro aesthetics, and consuming time itself. He dislikes elevators, aerosols, and those who would stand in his way.

----

"Why can't we just send both of them to stop him?" One of the five versions of Philip said.

"Because if when they die they'll give Jory enough energy to complete his departure from half-life." The second replied.

Orpheus massaged his temples. "One of you was bad enough. Remind me why there are four of you?"

"Six" said the sixth. "Jory's got a lock on us. Fractal dimensions allow us refuge, but have some splintering tendencies."

"I don't have time for this. You keep bickering or crying or whatever is happening. I'm sending the last two to the Point of Penultimatum, and if that doesn't work I'll find another universe, and another, until I find one that can stop the time-eater."

The fourth Philip curled up into a ball and sobbed.

Tranquil vs. Der Arzt

Setting: Point of Penultimatum. Surrounding the Half-Life Mortuary, this twisted version of New York follows Jory, the Time-Eater's, rules. You begin in the present day. In each post, time should slip backwards, so that by the end of the match you are in 1939.

New York seems almost normal, timeslips excluded. However, some things seem off. All perishables are perished. Coins are out of date. Elevators will not work at all, etc. There are people present, but they seem...off.

You cannot leave the confines of New York City. If you try to go beyond, you will find yourself at the doors of the Half-Life Mortuary. You cannot enter the Mortuary, nor breach it in any way. Jory watches you from inside, and he may speak, but he will not physically interact with you.

KOV CHAMPION: TRANQUIL

#2 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

That was a funny intro.

#3 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (9917 posts) - - Show Bio

Put me down on this account. I'am not making another banner this year though , i cant beat last one lol

#4 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82981 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna judge lol

#6 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna judge lol

It would be great if you judged. Shall I officially add you?

#7 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82981 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (9917 posts) - - Show Bio

@icarusflies: If you need help as your my master i will chip in, but not doing anything as mad as last years that took forever lol. I will side with Phillip.

#9 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

@icarusflies: No problem and I wish you the best of luck on this : )

#10 Posted by Peak (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll side with ORPHEUS!

Pyrogram here, on Peak using Peak.

#11 Edited by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio

I still need work on my punctuation, capitalization and spelling so ill just read this thing if it kicks off. good luck and have fun!

#12 Posted by _Atomikill_ (4471 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to join.

#13 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (9917 posts) - - Show Bio

@peak: i knew you would choose the other guy lol

#14 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

I still need work on my punctuation, capitalization and spelling so ill just read this thing if it kicks off. good luck and have fun!

You should try it man .

#15 Edited by Peak (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

@cassius_knightfall: Well, he and Anthony Stark were friends IC, so it made sense OOC, plus I tried to kill PHILIP....

#16 Posted by Catriona_Knightfall (994 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Catriona_Knightfall (994 posts) - - Show Bio

But seriously, I am semi tempted to join

#18 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (31222 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to join, but can't.

#19 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (9917 posts) - - Show Bio

@peak: its funny actually as i sided against Ziev becuase he was friends with Stark, i remember the start of the Stark regime lol

#20 Posted by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio

@mryashimora said:

You should try it man .

my RL might get in the way of the post time limit rule otherwise id join, ill see what i can do but my job comes first.

#21 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

@mryashimora: I see if that is the case maybe you shouldn't then.

#22 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82981 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

#24 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (9917 posts) - - Show Bio

Just dont give me Surkit then impero again this year. Was like drawing Tyson and Ali back to back

#25 Edited by Hubris (133 posts) - - Show Bio

:O This'll be my second KOV though I don't know who I'll be using yet

#26 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

IF i sign up, new persona or existing character i once had?

#27 Posted by AmazingAngel (4216 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw shiat! So hype for the KOV! Count me in!

#28 Posted by -Eclipse- (7650 posts) - - Show Bio

Agh... It'd be nice to participate, but I dunno if I'd have the time later on... I'll have to think about it.

#29 Posted by MasterMouse (3767 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets goooooooo0o0!
It's fightin tiiimee! :P
I'm in, as my mouse self, for Orpheus! :P

#30 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

You know want time it is folks ...

Loading Video...

I'm entering as the Space Hero of the Hundred Worlds for Orpheus!

#31 Posted by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

@cassius_knightfall: You're all added and good to go! I'll keep you updated...aka I'll message you at 3:00 am when I accidentally delete everything. ;P

@peak: You're good to go! Philip will remember you I'm sure. Good thing you've got a powerful sponsor of your own. ;)

@_atomikill_: You're added! Do you want to side with Orpheus or Philip?

@catriona_knightfall: JOIN JOIN JOIN JOIN!! :D

@cassius_knightfall: I'll be trying to balance matches a little bit. Still fully random, just throwing a few back into the hat for redraws maybe.

@hubris:Good luck! Let me know when you decide to to sign up with.

@warlock360: SIGN UP SIGN UP SIGN UP!! :D (Sign ups end on July 8th)

@amazingangel: You're added! Do you want to side with Orpheus or Philip?

@_eclipse_: Keep me updated! :)

@mastermouse: You're good to go!

@shadowswordmaster: Added!

#34 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster: if i have time i am as well.

Are you entering with this profile? You can withdraw any time up to the deadline. Technically you can after then, but it creates a bit of a headache for me.

#35 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

@icarusflies: All we need now is some sort of banner with Orpheus 'Optimals and the characters below it.

#36 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Legendary_StarHero (18935 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Imperator_Imperatorum (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this canon to the CVnU, or is it just a separate game using RPG characters?

#39 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlock360: Whoever you'd be happiest writing

@mryashimora: Okay! Are you siding with Orpheus or Philip?

Is this canon to the CVnU, or is it just a separate game using RPG characters?

It's usually considered canon or semi-canon.

#42 Posted by Imperator_Imperatorum (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@icarusflies: Then in that case, sign me up to fight for Orpheus with this character :)

#43 Posted by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio

@icarusflies: also question, to the death means in u loss u cant use that character anymore? might have to clone myself if thats the case :b

#46 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1890 posts) - - Show Bio

Should I? Should I not? Should I? Should I not? Should I? >goes to get more flower petals<

#47 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

@mryashimora: It's not actually to the death unless you need it to be to the death. There's a bit of overdramaticism going on here, I wouldn't worry about it.

#48 Posted by Peak (1038 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by MrYashimora (1313 posts) - - Show Bio

@icarusflies: woot this will be fun then! how long are the time limits for the posts? a week at most?

#50 Posted by Icarusflies (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

@peak said:

@icarusflies: Yey you're writing :D

Yes I am! ;)

@icarusflies: woot this will be fun then! how long are the time limits for the posts? a week at most?

Depends on the round. A week seems likely.