• 121 results
#51 Posted by 614azrael (10304 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything looked good but the invulnerability. If one can't inflict ANY harm to you there isn't anyone who's going to want to be around the character? Superman is tough but can still be bloodied and battered, this is because put simply if he were absolutely indestructible there is no conflict. We know Wolverine will probably survive that next brutal blow, readers are still compelled by the how. Even more abstract beings like those of energy have ways of being hurt. If the character can not be stopped in any way then there is no reason to think he can't win. Conflict makes a story and that ability robes you of any conflict. Especially when dealing with the raging around here. Half the fun of the fights is selling, the other is story telling. When it comes to selling none will effect you so none feel their character is in a good brawl. Story wise if never able to be slowed down there isn't a doubt of success.

This is just my opinion and I want you to make whatever character you want. That said I for one probably wouldn't take part of anything this character would be in. Theres no risk and to me that means nothing will have a reward. Again though please just take that as constructive criticism I'm not trying to sound cruel or mean :)

#52 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

Azzy pretty much hit the nail on the head, I think.

#53 Edited by Ravenna (272 posts) - - Show Bio

How about we talk about the name first.

#54 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Total invulnerability is not a real issue

anything at a 'sufficient' force will put you in a bad day

#55 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane kills erebody

#56 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: I wouldn't say that's absolutely true. If a character is totally impervious to everything, no amount of anything is going to harm him, no matter what. I'd bring up one of my own characters as an example, but I don't feel it. Which also goes into how the writer writes the character and if they can make up their own loopholes, so to speak, but that's two to three different conversations.

#57 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@_strigidae_:

If a character is totally impervious to everything, no amount of anything is going to harm him, no matter what.

There are more ways to win then to harm and there are concepts that can surpass or make an invulnerable wish they are not invulnerable. It is all about right application, and the right context.

People might think they are invincible but even omnipotence is flawed.

#58 Edited by Zauberin (4196 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Omnipotence is also only as flawed as the writer lets it be. If we're talking absolutely, and the writer wished it, anyone who stands in the way of an omnipotent could be reduced to nothing at will. But there are rules here about that sort of thing.

#59 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@zauberin: Toon Physics would put the omnipotent in a cute little headlock before snapping its neck. Hence the no godmod/autohit/nosell rule and the subtle tiering.

#60 Posted by Zauberin (4196 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: But if an omnipotent is truly, TRULY omnipotent, as in with unlimited power and can do anything it wants, no, the toon can't. Because the omnipotent could wipe it from existence. Think back to the episodes of things like Looney Tunes, where there would be the hand with the pencil or brush, erasing the landscape and making things up, just to give Daffy (or whatever other character was in the episode) Hell. That's the omnipotent. That is why we have those kinds of rules.

#61 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@zauberin: An omnipotent is simply fueled by the limited imagination of the wielder/writer that can come up, said toon forcer can always come back. There are instances where they b!tchslap the author, and even running the show on their own.

There is also the power of PLOT

#62 Posted by Zauberin (4196 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: You don't need a lot of imagination if all the imagination you need is "I want to wipe this person from existence forever" and you have the power to make it so.

#63 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@zauberin: Not when they can come back or are not bound by the rules of logic, coming back from non-existence is also a feat. The stronger a being, the more horrible their death.

Also a power set on NLC can null that

#64 Posted by Zauberin (4196 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: I don't think you're getting what I'm saying with omnipotence. And also the forest was completely missed for the trees, or however that phrase goes.

#65 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@zauberin: Its just our different views and approaches when dealing with cosmics, you use tiering while I see it in a SR fashion.

#66 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8211 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: She's saying omnipotence is omnipotence, using the word in the prescriptivist sense. In that sense omnipotence means all powerful. So there is nothing a being with omnipotence cannot do.

#67 Posted by Armistice (4017 posts) - - Show Bio

If you feel you have to ask the answer is probably yes

#68 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: I see it from a paradoxical view with the age old nuance that it is a concept made by humans based on logical limitations, limited by nature and imaginary juice.

#69 Edited by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: She's saying omnipotence is omnipotence, using the word in the prescriptivist sense. In that sense omnipotence means all powerful. So there is nothing a being with omnipotence cannot do.

This.

#70 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Edited by Lady_Liberty (8211 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: The problem with internally redefining the meaning of words is eventually those words lose their value as shared symbols. IE, you can't communicate with them anymore.

#72 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: Since somebody in organized religion thought it is a good idea to make these words immutable and 'truth' to be unchallenged, that is just like asking every philosopher to dissect it from the get-go.

#73 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8211 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: And that's the problem with single party descriptivism. I have no idea what you're talking about :-P

#74 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: Just a dissent of opinion from her idea of omnipotens as the end all be all solution

#75 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: To be fair, I never advocated it as a solution; the opposite, actually. A possible problem, around here. But even then I'd disagree as to where the problem was.

And here I find myself getting sucked into an armistice problem. @armistice: You! Shut up and stop influencing me!

#76 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@_strigidae_: The problem with the omni- set, what do you mean by problem?

#77 Posted by Adhene (304 posts) - - Show Bio

@mgrman5: if someone is completely invulnerable even if they had no other power he would be OP I think. You know if nothing can harm you you can just keep punching till your opponent loses.

#78 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@adhene said:

@mgrman5: if someone is completely invulnerable even if they had no other power he would be OP I think. You know if nothing can harm you you can just keep punching till your opponent loses.

Submission holds or orifice insertion

#79 Posted by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenna: What is it about the name is it to short or something.

#80 Posted by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

I tweaked the invulnerability a bit I can only have it active for half a day once for 24 hrs. During the time my invulnerability is not active I have regular human durability.

#81 Posted by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@mgrman5 said:

@ravenna: What is it about the name is it to short or something.

Dude, she's going in on you.

#82 Edited by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@ramjam: I don't think so just some constructive criticism. BTW I like your avatar I really miss that show I have been watching Alphas on netflix and it is really a good show .

#83 Posted by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@mgrman5: It doubles as constructive criticism, yeah. But she's goin in!

I also liked the show.

And where's Bluff?

#84 Edited by Street_Samurai (320 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no such thing as OP characters IMHO, just people with limited imaginations. You can make characters immune to all sorts of things and still give them weaknesses and that may not have anything to do with their powers, or their ability to soak any sort of damage... It could be a simple matter of brain over brawn. If the character has weaknesses in their personality that can be used against them to the advantage of the other player, then it shouldn't really matter. As long as there is room for plot, then how powerful the character is or is not should not matter... However on CV we have certain rules and they should be followed in order to maintain a fun and functioning creative collective between all of us in the RPG forum. Rules are in place for a reason, and they should apply to everyone, and should be present at the start of any game.

#85 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

At full power, you'd probably like to chill/fight with @zishun

#86 Posted by Armistice (4017 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: To be fair, I never advocated it as a solution; the opposite, actually. A possible problem, around here. But even then I'd disagree as to where the problem was.

And here I find myself getting sucked into an armistice problem. @armistice: You! Shut up and stop influencing me!

Don't blame me, normally I'm knee deep in every debate but as you can see I avoided this nonsense without a peep.

#87 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio
#88 Posted by Armistice (4017 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: But it spread to me!

Choose debates that are worth the effort, the Vine has an endless array of issues worth quality debate, this was not one of them.

#89 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: It was an Armistice Problem!

I'm gonna coin that term.

#92 Edited by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

What if you were actually in the Marvel or DC universe would you choose my characters powers. How do they compare to other characters with the same or different abilities within either universes. Would my characters abilities be just average or would I have a street level, alpha, omega, Silver Surfer level, Superman level, or even Galactus level of power. Who would be able to challenge or defeat me?

#93 Edited by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMB

#94 Posted by Dreadpool10 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that my character would be able to stalemate your character in a battle.

#95 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@mgrman5:I'd say Galactus level, if your character can be utterly invulnerable for half a day, be super strong, control matter and energy and be invulnerable with molecule vibration the rest of the day he could probably beat Superman or Silver Surfer and reach a 12 hour stalemate with Galactus.

#96 Posted by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreadpool10: Yeah I think your character would stalemate mine because he is also very durable and is way stronger and faster then me. I wouldn't be able to hurt your character or even hit him, but seeing as I can't be injured either it would be a stalemate until your character figures out a way to BFR me or trap my character and given your guys intellect that shouldn't be to hard.

#97 Posted by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@tellumo: I may be completely invulnerable but I don't think I am Galactus level. My psychokinetic abilities are not as strong compared to someone like Jean Grey or even Vulcan's powers. It is around the same power level as Hellions psychic powers which are strong yes but nowhere near anything like Galactus, and my speed and strength are nothing to special either I can only go about mach 5 and can around 5 tons which is what Superman can do sleeping. The only thing that is truly cosmic like is my ability to not be injured by anything. So I am probably on the level of someone like Hulk or Juggernaut ONLY in the sense that they are both very durable and can take a whole lot of damage and still comeback like it was nothing. My other abilities, speed, strength, and psychokinesis are really just a tiny upgrade to my invulnerability. Those abilities alone after the 12 hours are up probably puts me around Magneto, Nova, or Fantastic Four level of abilities.

#98 Edited by Dreadpool10 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@mgrman5: I have a roleplay that would be quite happy to accept beings of your power.

#99 Posted by mgrman5 (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreadpool10: That sounds interesting and could be fun how do I go about doing that.