In Which Medium Do You Envision Your Characters

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When people write, they often picture the events of the story going down in real time. Some people write their events as though they were taking place in a novel, and others feel more like a comic book. Some like to emulate manga or anime, and I feel like others almost go for a video game-ish feel. When I write, I imitate the directorial feel of Quentin Tarantino's movies; I think about things happening from a certain camera angle, so to speak, and I enjoy certain qualities such as dramatic standoffs and concise action sequences. I was wondering if any other Viners imagine their characters in mediums other than forum posting.

Basically, do you write like you're directing a movie, drawing a comic book, or designing a video game?

_RetroFire_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mixed bag. Sometimes Comic book some times movie style some times book style. Really comes down to the scenaro and pace for me, not the character.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually for me goes like this

Book

Then comic

Then video game

Then film

Then TV series

Then anime/manga

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do all of em.

Anime, Comic, TV, Movie, Video-Game. It all works for me.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

It's usually film for me. Which is why I switched to the RL looks, it's easy for me to picture my character's movements as a person than a drawing

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go for animated film. I imagine my characters as drawings as they would be in a comic, or computer animated, but don't think much of their thoughts or feelings, moreso what's happening in the physical world, what the viewer can see.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These days I am almost 100% comic book based. I base my characters powers on powers from comic books, their equipment on things that appear in comic books and in my mind I picture my character being drawn in a certain comic book style (the exact style depending on the character).

Vocal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the character for me. For Vocal for example it's very comic based. Where for say No_One_ it's an over the top videogame I imagine her scenes as levels in a game or even a cinematic with quick time events. Where in the case of say Alianette it's anime. Other characters like Dragonfang I see more as a movie

Avatar image for sabriel_knightfall
Sabriel_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics and or Movies. The order may flip flop but never the genre.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I think all of them.

Dante_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When people write, they often picture the events of the story going down in real time. Some people write their events as though they were taking place in a novel, and others feel more like a comic book. Some like to emulate manga or anime, and I feel like others almost go for a video game-ish feel. When I write, I imitate the directorial feel of Quentin Tarantino's movies; I think about things happening from a certain camera angle, so to speak, and I enjoy certain qualities such as dramatic standoffs and concise action sequences. I was wondering if any other Viners imagine their characters in mediums other than forum posting.

Basically, do you write like you're directing a movie, drawing a comic book, or designing a video game?

Did we just become best friends?!?!

M-174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sort of depends. Right now it's either games, or live action. Back when I was writing M before he died, more so comics or a fast paced anime.

Merkava, a straight GTiS anime.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much anything. Sometimes it depends on my mood, and how my mood interacts with the character I'm writing and how those things interact with the subject of my writing. Who I'm writing with, if writing with a partner, also plays a part. And location too. Sometimes it's more than one medium at once.

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to just look at an image and work around that. If you ever see an image in my writing (which is more often than not) it usually means that I saw that and actually worked around it. Describing what I saw with more detail. Who is that bystander in the background behind Nightwing? What's their story? Does it relate to my character?

If that doesn't work, I'll play some music in a different tab and just write what hits my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ink would be anime for sure.

Ultra_Girl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the above, but usually I try to stick to animated cartoon.

The_Replicator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I envision it as film, but write as though it were in a book.

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to exclusively envision it though film, had to train myself to think of it as a comic/book.

The Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By The Hunter

It varies between movies & tv series for me.

For the more "movie" kinda feel, I'll have an opening where I lay out the particular mission, adventure, quest, etc. & I'll take readers through it. In that RPG, my character has a definite beginning and end.

For the "tv series" kinda feel, my character will already be involved in something prior, be drawn into the action of the current RPG for a specific purpose, then resume his previous course of action once his role in the RPG is over.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By superstay
Ult_Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legends

Folktale

Myths

Fairy Tales

Brothers Grimm

RPG Tabletop

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics and movies, with maybe alittle tv series thrown in as the canon is long now.

IronPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Phantom it's CG in live action movies, because he just feels out of place yet somehow convincingly there.

For Arceus, I guess video game cutscenes and animated CG movies, because that's where I pulled his material from and I haven't RPed enough with him yet.

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's constantly changing. It could be anime, comics, movies, or cinematics from games.

God_of_Demise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I'm on my Aetheroth thread, I generally envision my posts (and others) as being similar to a Blizzard Cinematic/WoW Cutscenes.

Plan-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i usually picture it as a highly detailed comic

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to Vex, I just imagine how someone would feel with two prominent role models. One would be the original Dark Vengeance and trying to live up to what he was by sticking to his philosophy. The other role model, would be an older Vex, talking to the present Vex. Trying to convince him not to be like DV, but his own man.

Alexander_Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lately.....Anime o_O

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@vici_aurelius:

Real life.....so, I guess, film...

d^_^b

Now that I've got back into RPing, I remember that I've seen my scenes as more of a video game cinematic. Such as fighting game cinematics (specifically, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 animation).

Loading Video...

_Glacier_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An anime starring him and his bro Zeppeli (Warsy).

Plan-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine it in first person in a highly detailed comic.