#1 Edited by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Often I see established comic book characters standing in place for RPGers characters. Not only that but places as well.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people do it (it's easy as pie). But I dunno...I think it's a little lame, because those characters are already taken, it's just people are switching the names and power sets.

#2 Posted by Pyrogram (41329 posts) - - Show Bio

You are not wrong..

But its Role playing. You can role play whoever you like.

#3 Posted by RumbleMan_Exe (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo: some of us actually amalgamate stuff from more than comics, the holy books and scriptures give great inspiration. Like setting up churches and whatnot.

#4 Edited by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

I see..guess I'm just stuck on original characters looking like original characters. But not everyone can be an artist (myself included).

#5 Edited by Schlampe (2691 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo: Well, the thing is, in the universe we play in (think of it like companies, or something), at least for the new one I know, those characters don't exist. And it's not just names and power sets. There are different stories to be told through different interactions, and more that you didn't take into account.

#6 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I'd like to have an original look I'm not an artist, and I don't really want to pay to commission enough artwork for each of my characters.

#7 Edited by Xenon_ (3349 posts) - - Show Bio

I use this picture. I use this concept. But give the character life myself. I just use it as a hollow shell that needs to be filled with life and personality.

#8 Edited by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

@schlampe:

Actually I already knew the stories were different. But sometimes the stories are so close to the comic counterparts it seems almost like plagiarism.

But people can do as they want : ).

I'm not a troll..just an observer.

Peace out.

#9 Posted by Xenon_ (3349 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo said:

Actually I already knew the stories were different. But sometimes the stories are so close to the comic counterparts it seems almost like plagiarism.

Is it? Or is it just Re-Imagining the character?

#10 Posted by Schlampe (2691 posts) - - Show Bio

@xenon_ said:

@lorbo said:

Is it? Or is it just Re-Imagining the character?

I think that piece is something where you can't really control it or tell it to stop. Because if it happens on an individual basis, then it's just that person's prerogative. And if it happens with a group of people getting together, it's that group's prerogative. Often times it can't be helped but for similarities to be drawn; sometimes they're not even thought of in that light until maybe an outside observer says "hey, this is like that time when....." And also, even in the medium of comic books you see things that are so close to each other that it could be almost like plagiarism. I could draw similarities between Apocalypse and Darkseid, and Galactus too, and that's just how it is.

Okay, I know he's not a troll now. Admittedly, the use of "Lame" had me worried at first, but dismissed.

#11 Posted by Xenon_ (3349 posts) - - Show Bio

@schlampe:

Interesting perspective. Very nice input. In reality nearly everything has similarities. But, Is it bad to get inspired from characters like some RPGers do? (Myself included)

This person is not a troll, They talk like that everywhere.

#12 Posted by Schlampe (2691 posts) - - Show Bio

@xenon_: I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I draw inspiration from a ton of things. Characters in comics, anime, music. There's also times where I just start feeling creative out of the blue and I write stuff down, and I don't see similarities until someone else points them out or a while after I've already started playing the character.

I know that now; because he said it. The "not a troll" thing, not the "they talk like that everywhere" thing. I didn't know that.

#13 Posted by Xenon_ (3349 posts) - - Show Bio

@schlampe:

True, I personally see nothing wrong with blending characters together and making it work like that. Or

for example - My character here. I have never seen where this picture was, Do not even know what game/movie it is from. I am just going with how I feel he would act. That is fun, for me.

#14 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4820 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I'd like to have an original look I'm not an artist, and I don't really want to pay to commission enough artwork for each of my characters.

Pretty much.

#15 Posted by AmazingAngel (4121 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, There's a lot of that on the site but that also makes it easier to get pics and stats and everything, also any hero is a tweaked version of heroes that came before.

#16 Posted by RumbleMan_Exe (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

or you can always hit up on public domain characters

#17 Edited by Xenon_ (3349 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

No one ever copies the lame characters (cept rumble). You dont see alot of Squirrel Girl inspired characters running around.

#19 Edited by Schlampe (2691 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage said:

No one ever copies the lame characters (cept rumble). You dont see alot of Squirrel Girl inspired characters running around.

Such a character would be unstoppable.

#20 Edited by Regal_Rumble_Man (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@schlampe said:

@the_last_arashikage said:

Such a character would be unstoppable.

actually we have plenty of squirrel girls since she rules the 'off-panel' which would be equal to our concept of 'ooc' moments and comedies where we screw around (e.g. autohitting for fun without bearing to the story)

#21 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (9347 posts) - - Show Bio

i just asked the artists section to do a design for me, i have original concepts for my main account from artists on this site. The picture on its Character card and the pics at the bottom of profile are all origins and i credited eac one of the creators with them also.

follow link for a look

#22 Posted by celtic (780 posts) - - Show Bio

@xenon_ said:

@schlampe:

True, I personally see nothing wrong with blending characters together and making it work like that. Or

for example - My character here. I have never seen where this picture was, Do not even know what game/movie it is from. I am just going with how I feel he would act. That is fun, for me.

It's from Deus Ex.

#23 Edited by Switch_MacAbre (71 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo said:

@schlampe:

If we were publishing maybe. Consider it more like fanfic. Authorized usage of the character look for entertainment purposes without monetary compensation. I used to draw my own characters, but I'm just not good enough of an artist to draw from my own imagination. Using established comic book characters is kind of a fun way to live out a fantasy of being the character. It's not serious, it's just fun.

I actually have thought a lot that writers should read through some fanfic and roleplays for inspitation. Some people's depiction of characters and their construction of standalone stories could offer great inspiration. Then the "plagiarism" could go the other way. ;)

#24 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

That's because Squirrel girl would be horrendously overpowered. Lrn2comics.

#25 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@vrakmul said:

Never stop anyone before :)

#26 Posted by Armistice (4132 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

@vrakmul said:

Zing!

#27 Posted by saviour (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

@vrakmul said:

Zing!

#28 Edited by Marksman (1352 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo said:

Often I see established comic book characters standing in place for RPGers characters. Not only that but places as well.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people do it (it's easy as pie). But I dunno...I think it's a little lame, because those characters are already taken, it's just people are switching the names and power sets.

Oh, I'm sorry if you think that, but most of my characters are completely original.

If I'm using a look, I come up with a unique backstory, and vice versa.

#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: @zaniel: lol really didnt mean it as a shot. I actually dont have a problem with overpowered characters in the hands of usres who understand the subtle intricacy of using such a powerful being. I just meant that being to powerful has never been a red light for character creation. No one uses Squirrel Girl as an archetype cause she sucks and her look is corny, not cause she's to powerful :P

#30 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

No one uses Squirrel Girl as an archetype cause she sucks and her look is corny

#31 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8439 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: I LOVE Squirrel Girl. She's like if they took PIS and CIS and made them into a character.

#33 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Edited by Jaegerjaquez (1953 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by Ellie_Knightfall (4820 posts) - - Show Bio

Squirrel Girl sucks

#37 Edited by Jaegerjaquez (1953 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: I thought for sure that'd do it.

#38 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by Naamah_Obyzouth (4299 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a ton of sketches I have rendered of a lot of the characters as I picture them on CV... The only problem is I don't have a working scanner to use.

#40 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

@jaegerjaquez: Ha! Even that can not redeem her in my eyes.

Comic books are at their best when they don't take themselves too seriously.

#41 Posted by Jay_August (747 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a ton of sketches I have rendered of a lot of the characters as I picture them on CV... The only problem is I don't have a working scanner to use.

Yeah, my scanner is connected to my new computer, so I can't scan any of my drawings either. I have to figure out how to do that. (But I haven't drawn much at all recently anyway.)

#42 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

@naamah_obyzouth said:

Yeah, my scanner is connected to my new computer, so I can't scan any of my drawings either. I have to figure out how to do that. (But I haven't drawn much at all recently anyway.)

I have a scanner but I don't know how it works and I'm too shitty at art anyway. ;_;

*cries*

#43 Edited by Jay_August (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@vrakmul: I'd comfort you, but I don't care. ;) Hehehe. (I'm so out of practice, I'm probably not very good anyway. I draw better from pictures than from my head.)

#44 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@vrakmul said:

@gambler said:

@jaegerjaquez: Ha! Even that can not redeem her in my eyes.

Comic books are at their best when they don't take themselves too seriously.

Some people would agree with you. How else could one explain the popularity of Deadpool :)

#45 Edited by Xenon_ (3349 posts) - - Show Bio

@schlampe: