• 103 results
#1 Posted by Cassidy (47 posts) - - Show Bio

With so many characters that have powers, it's almost impossible to have a power that isn't being used by a lot of other characters. What do you do to make your character special?

#2 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cassidy: Think outside the box. Don't use anything elemental, demonic al, etc.
#3 Posted by -Eclipse- (7588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait said:
" @Cassidy: Think outside the box. Don't use anything elemental, demonic al, etc. "
Surely you have more advice than that, you're probably the most original RPGer on the site when it comes to powers! 

I came up with Eclipse's ability to control the fundamental forces of nature while in a boring Physics lesson, 'learning' about the four fundamental forces while actually thinking "Dude, would be cool if a superhero could do this stuff..." ^__^
#4 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio

Ask Cluthc/Akira. Not kidding, he can come up with powers that no one else has and still put them to good use. For example: Ever heard of "Egokinesis"? No, Clutch even has it in his powerset.

#5 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

Not many people know what the word Sonokentic means :P

#6 Posted by Acer (14412 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair said:
" Ask Cluthc/Akira. Not kidding, he can come up with powers that no one else has and still put them to good use. For example: Ever heard of "Egokinesis"? No, Clutch even has it in his powerset. "
I have, but then again I know the site were he gets all his powers from ;)
#7 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: Knowing Greek and Latin helps of course. ;)
#8 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse- said:
" @Portrait said:
" @Cassidy: Think outside the box. Don't use anything elemental, demonic al, etc. "
Surely you have more advice than that, you're probably the most original RPGer on the site when it comes to powers!  I came up with Eclipse's ability to control the fundamental forces of nature while in a boring Physics lesson, 'learning' about the four fundamental forces while actually thinking "Dude, would be cool if a superhero could do this stuff..." ^__^ "
Okay, fine :p 

First, think of ideas. Toss away the first five or so that come to you, they probably won't be much good. Then, perhaps consider some source that you find interesting (personally I tend to use books, but movies or TV works as well). Take some aspect that you find particularly interesting, and try to turn it into a power. For example, with Portrait I combined elements of The Picture of Dorian Gray and the Cthulhu Cycle. My failed character Homunculus (actually it was a fine character, it just freaked me out) was based on Bill from the book Dr. Bloodmoney. Sometimes it helps to work backwards. Pick an avatar or a character you like. Think about what powers they could have in a  'What if' or 'Elseworlds.' The characters of Fractal and Starheart were both conceived in this way.
#9 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Not many people know what the word Sonokentic means :P "
control of sound xP
#10 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair said:
"Ask Cluthc/Akira. Not kidding, he can come up with powers that no one else has and still put them to good use. For example: Ever heard of "Egokinesis"? No, Clutch even has it in his powerset. "

What he calls Egokinesis, is actually Gyrokinesis....I don't know where the other name came from...also...Cassidy, your powers are what you make them...When I got here, no one was using Hydrokinesis, or Cryonkinesis...and I thought I would make everyone see how powerful it really could be...and now there are at least three others I can think of that use the same powers... 

But enough about me...I would't say don't use Elemental or Force powers, because they can be very unique...For instance, Pyrokinesis, fire control, is very common among characters period, but if you turn pyrokinsis into, Flaming Fingernails, then you have become unique. Or you could go into the sub sects of them and use Halokinesis- sand and small sediment controll (includes glass), or Biokinsis- controling life... 

But, like I've said before, your powers are unique...Taking emotions and turning them into strength and invulnerablity is unique
#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio

The correct answer is..You can't.You know how many RPG's have been done.How many people were here before you? Someone is going to make up some powers,people are going bite and the cycle will continue.This is why Marvel and DC have some many similar characters.Everything has already been done.There is really now way to be original.You can put an original spin on something that was already done but you will never be 100% original.

#12 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio

hey, Risky is here for quite a long time and she's still the only one to have luck powers. lol I figured it would be cool to have the opposite as well and made Risque, her opposite.

#13 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio
@Acer said:
" @Despair said:
" Ask Cluthc/Akira. Not kidding, he can come up with powers that no one else has and still put them to good use. For example: Ever heard of "Egokinesis"? No, Clutch even has it in his powerset. "
I have, but then again I know the site were he gets all his powers from ;) "
oooh what is it?
#14 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" The correct answer is..You can't.You know how many RPG's have been done.How many people were here before you? Someone is going to make up some powers,people are going bite and the cycle will continue.This is why Marvel and DC have some many similar characters.Everything has already been done.There is really now way to be original.You can put an original spin on something that was already done but you will never be 100% original. "
What about me? You might have to admit that my powerset is unique.
#15 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio

Add Ninjan in front of them =]

#16 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine said:
" @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Not many people know what the word Sonokentic means :P "
control of sound xP "
Lmao i guess they do :P
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" The correct answer is..You can't.You know how many RPG's have been done.How many people were here before you? Someone is going to make up some powers,people are going bite and the cycle will continue.This is why Marvel and DC have some many similar characters.Everything has already been done.There is really now way to be original.You can put an original spin on something that was already done but you will never be 100% original. "
What about me? You might have to admit that my powerset is unique. "
That's until someone bites off you and then there is a bunch of Portraits running around :)
#18 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Portrait said:
" @Vance Astro said:
That's until someone bites off you and then there is a bunch of Portraits running around :) "
Grr....then they would have to face the wrath of... 

The Guinea Pig Green Lantern!
#19 Posted by Acer (14412 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine said:
" @Acer said:
" @Despair said:
oooh what is it? "
I cant say, ive been sworn to secrecy. But you can always go in search yourself :p
#20 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think this is helping...>_>
#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Portrait said:
" @Vance Astro said:
That's until someone bites off you and then there is a bunch of Portraits running around :) "
Grr....then they would have to face the wrath of... 

The Guinea Pig Green Lantern!
"
LOL.
#22 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair said:
" hey, Risky is here for quite a long time and she's still the only one to have luck powers. lol I figured it would be cool to have the opposite as well and made Risque, her opposite. "
I have an alt with luck powers...
#23 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: Well, I posted a valid thing. I'll quote myself to prove it: 

Okay, fine :p  First, think of ideas. Toss away the first five or so that come to you, they probably won't be much good. Then, perhaps consider some source that you find interesting (personally I tend to use books, but movies or TV works as well). Take some aspect that you find particularly interesting, and try to turn it into a power. For example, with Portrait I combined elements of The Picture of Dorian Gray and the Cthulhu Cycle. My failed character Homunculus (actually it was a fine character, it just freaked me out) was based on Bill from the book Dr. Bloodmoney. Sometimes it helps to work backwards. Pick an avatar or a character you like. Think about what powers they could have in a  'What if' or 'Elseworlds.' The characters of Fractal and Starheart were both conceived in this way. "
#24 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ferro Vida said:
" @Despair said:
" hey, Risky is here for quite a long time and she's still the only one to have luck powers. lol I figured it would be cool to have the opposite as well and made Risque, her opposite. "
I have an alt with luck powers... "
Okay, who does he have to kill? lol
#25 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait said:
" @Slight: Well, I posted a valid thing. I'll quote myself to prove it: 

Okay, fine :p  First, think of ideas. Toss away the first five or so that come to you, they probably won't be much good. Then, perhaps consider some source that you find interesting (personally I tend to use books, but movies or TV works as well). Take some aspect that you find particularly interesting, and try to turn it into a power. For example, with Portrait I combined elements of The Picture of Dorian Gray and the Cthulhu Cycle. My failed character Homunculus (actually it was a fine character, it just freaked me out) was based on Bill from the book Dr. Bloodmoney. Sometimes it helps to work backwards. Pick an avatar or a character you like. Think about what powers they could have in a  'What if' or 'Elseworlds.' The characters of Fractal and Starheart were both conceived in this way. "
"

yes...after Sha's post...I think it went down south...
#26 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair said:
" @Ferro Vida said:
" @Despair said:
Okay, who does he have to kill? lol "
O_O I THOUGHT DESPAIR WAS SUPPOSED TO LIKE ME!
#27 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ferro Vida said:
" @Despair said:
" @Ferro Vida said:
" @Despair said:
Okay, who does he have to kill? lol "
O_O I THOUGHT DESPAIR WAS SUPPOSED TO LIKE ME! "
I asked for Risky. lol Who does she have to kill to be the only one with luck powers?

(And she does, no worries, you spent a night in the woods with her after all lol)
#28 Posted by Clutch (2836 posts) - - Show Bio
@Acer said:
" @Despair said:
Shhh.
Yet and still,I make my ish look ill.
(Real rhyming ftw)
Haha.
#29 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair : Oh. Blonde guy named Upshot x)

(We still need to do that, huh)
#30 Posted by Clutch (2836 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:

" @Despair said:

"Ask Cluthc/Akira. Not kidding, he can come up with powers that no one else has and still put them to good use. For example: Ever heard of "Egokinesis"? No, Clutch even has it in his powerset. "
What he calls Egokinesis, is actually Gyrokinesis....I don't know where the other name came from...also...Cassidy, your powers are what you make them...When I got here, no one was using Hydrokinesis, or Cryonkinesis...and I thought I would make everyone see how powerful it really could be...and now there are at least three others I can think of that use the same powers...  But enough about me...I would't say don't use Elemental or Force powers, because they can be very unique...For instance, Pyrokinesis, fire control, is very common among characters period, but if you turn pyrokinsis into, Flaming Fingernails, then you have become unique. Or you could go into the sub sects of them and use Halokinesis- sand and small sediment controll (includes glass), or Biokinsis- controling life...  But, like I've said before, your powers are unique...Taking emotions and turning them into strength and invulnerablity is unique "
Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
is the ability to mentally manipulate gravity, allowing one to increase or decrease the effects of it around any desired area, to make objects extremely lighter, heavier or to even crush things by compressing them with intense gravity. One this ability can even shift his center of gravity and defy it, by walking up walls, jumping up to extreme heights, gravitating objects and subjects to/away from him and the like
#31 Posted by Hayden Miles (1165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clutch said:
" @Slight said:

" @Despair said:

What he calls Egokinesis, is actually Gyrokinesis....I don't know where the other name came from...also...Cassidy, your powers are what you make them...When I got here, no one was using Hydrokinesis, or Cryonkinesis...and I thought I would make everyone see how powerful it really could be...and now there are at least three others I can think of that use the same powers...  But enough about me...I would't say don't use Elemental or Force powers, because they can be very unique...For instance, Pyrokinesis, fire control, is very common among characters period, but if you turn pyrokinsis into, Flaming Fingernails, then you have become unique. Or you could go into the sub sects of them and use Halokinesis- sand and small sediment controll (includes glass), or Biokinsis- controling life...  But, like I've said before, your powers are unique...Taking emotions and turning them into strength and invulnerablity is unique "
Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
is the ability to mentally manipulate gravity, allowing one to increase or decrease the effects of it around any desired area, to make objects extremely lighter, heavier or to even crush things by compressing them with intense gravity. One this ability can even shift his center of gravity and defy it, by walking up walls, jumping up to extreme heights, gravitating objects and subjects to/away from him and the like "
I had that
#32 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clutch said:
" @Slight said:

" @Despair said:

Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
is the ability to mentally manipulate gravity, allowing one to increase or decrease the effects of it around any desired area, to make objects extremely lighter, heavier or to even crush things by compressing them with intense gravity. One this ability can even shift his center of gravity and defy it, by walking up walls, jumping up to extreme heights, gravitating objects and subjects to/away from him and the like "

No...thats Gravikinesis...Gyro=movement, as in Gyration....
#33 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ferro Vida said:
" @Despair : Oh. Blonde guy named Upshot x)  (We still need to do that, huh) "
Upshot, huh? Guess it will need only one shot. ;p

(Only if you want)
#34 Posted by Hayden Miles (1165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" @Clutch said:
" @Slight said:

" @Despair said:

Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
No...thats Gravikinesis...Gyro=movement, as in Gyration.... "
I had both of them lol
#35 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair said:
" @Ferro Vida said:
Upshot, huh? Guess it will need only one shot. ;p  (Only if you want) "
If this was CSI: Miami they would cut to the theme song right now

(I never stopped wanting to)

Love the AV, by the way
#36 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hayden Miles said:
" @Slight said:
" @Clutch said:
" @Slight said:

" @Despair said:

Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
I had both of them lol "

Yes...I happen to be an eficianato (I hope I spelled that right) on such matters...XD
#37 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Easy, I don't have any

#38 Edited by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummmmmm research, cartoons, anime, ideas? :D
Which explains my constant reboots x P

#39 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
"Easy, I don't have any "

well, street levelers are quite common///
#40 Posted by Clutch (2836 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" @Clutch said:
" @Slight said:

" @Despair said:

Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
I don't think you know what Egokinesis is cause we are talking about two different powers.
#41 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio

Cassidy, I say keep your powers...I've already put you up against Sha, and if you change your powers, it would ruin my plans for your victory...XD

#42 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: Egokinesis has nothing to do with movement at all, it is the conscious control over every muscle and body function. Gyrokinesis would be the power to control your movement and possibly others in strange ways like going up walls, speeding up/down, stuff like that (at least from the literal meaning)
#43 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair : I've always liked the idea of Vasokinesis myself
#44 Posted by -Eclipse- (7588 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthunter said:

... That's actually a good point, you're probably one of the very few people with no powers at all... XD

Slight
said:

"@Nighthunter said:
well, street levelers are quite common/// "

Street levellers, yes, but people with no powers at all? On the Vine, that's pretty rare.

#45 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" @Nighthunter said:
well, street levelers are quite common/// "
Street levelers yes, street levelers without powers not so much.

@Ferro Vida said:
" @Despair said:
" @Ferro Vida said:
Upshot, huh? Guess it will need only one shot. ;p  (Only if you want) "
If this was CSI: Miami they would cut to the theme song right now  (I never stopped wanting to)  Love the AV, by the way "

LMAO

(We can still do it, just send me a pm and we can start it next week at earliest or later, whenever you have the time)

Thanks, best pic of Silver Banshee ever, thanks to Wando for showing me.
#46 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19249 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despair said:
" @Slight: Egokinesis has nothing to do with movement at all, it is the conscious control over every muscle and body function. Gyrokinesis would be the power to control your movement and possibly others in strange ways like going up walls, speeding up/down, stuff like that (at least from the literal meaning) "

Yes...I just googled it...LOL...I was confused for a bit, but I still think it falls under the text of Biokinesis...I think it's a sub-kinetic ability though.... 

@Clutch said:
" @Slight said:
" @Clutch said:
" @Slight said:

" @Despair said:

Nah,Gyrokinesis is 
I don't think you know what Egokinesis is cause we are talking about two different powers. "

Fair enough, I just revisited your page...But, I think that would still fall under Biokinesis-control over life...plant life included...that is if you have that ability...Biokinsis, is like what Elixir could do...
#47 Edited by Cassidy (47 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: Lol
#48 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Do powers really need to be non-cliché for your character to be good? i don't  think so. If you can get the reason/whatabouts from your powers origin, maybe in which special way you use it, or however else versatile you can be, i think you can do pretty good, be different, and still a bit Cliché.

#49 Posted by Hayden Miles (1165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
"

Cassidy, I say keep your powers...I've already put you up against Sha, and if you change your powers, it would ruin my plans for your victory...XD

"
HUH?
#50 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: Yup, it is a sub-ppower but Clutch is only limited to himself thus it is legal to call it egokinesis (and it's a cool sounding name too)