#101 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: I think the activity is solid right now. Especially because a lot of it is the newer players, and they're the future of the Vine as always. So the nU itself is trending in the right direction, with the addition of players like Pyro who are highly active and new.

The 'concepts' are where things are lacking. There's excitement when a driving personality does something that attracts or effects everyone. Big storylines that draw in large numbers of players and MOST IMPORTANTLY effect large numbers of threads. The HFC thing didn't suddenly effect fewer people, it just was forced into one single slow moving thread. So the excitement was gone, people weren't getting ambushed in one thread, making alliances in another thread, betraying one another in yet another thread, prepping in a base thread, and so forth.

And things are kinda boring right now, but I don't wanna say that's bad on a macro level. There's going to be times when a driving personality has the right kind of idea at the right time and things go big. And there's also going to be dry spells.

#102 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: Yeah, originally I had thought it was just a lag cause of the site switching over. Then I thought it was the Who's Online thing. Now it just feels like a slow death. I'm starting to wonder if this was inevitable and the CVnU simply prolonged the decline. Cause things were getting really boring before that as well I remember.

#103 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#104 Edited by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

@amaranth_strix: There seems to be a decent amount of activity, is it just the concepts in general? I do agree that Venz needs its own thread, and long post format is long passed being played out.

The activity is going in all directions at once, and the CVnU feels like a dozen sub-worlds that are pretty much unrelated to each other.

What little close knit organizations we had recently blew themselves up or are in limbo. My team may be the most coherent one left and that is a bad sign considering the paint is not even dry.

#105 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: I'm tied down in way to many RPG's right now. Even if I wasn't I lack the right idea. That's a lot of these slow times. The driving players have to have the right idea and the right motivation.

#106 Posted by Zauberin (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking it all in...

#107 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: Well Monarch's was doomed from the start, because it was a tool for another end. I think everyone knew that. HFC's blow up was good, great even, until it was squandered.

Your team is internally active, but externally non-existent. You guys don't really effect anyone else.

Those sub worlds you talk of are the natural state of the vine. Its the big storylines that connect those sub worlds. And I know we're all belly aching about it, but that's not necessarily bad. It can't be all big storylines all the time. Secondly its only the people who lack a compelling LOCAL storyline that complain about it. Those that do have a good local line are generally content with that, and the 'local' RPs are strong right now.

#108 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: That makes sense. But I disagree about your team comment. I think thats a great thing cause A: You're active and your members are as well, and B: You have fresh takes and fresh ideas. A new pusher. Someone who can create interesting ideas that will attract attention.

@amaranth_strix: I know I know, Mz. Popular. Twas partially kidding. We've had the "lack of motivation" talk before. Recently in fact.

#109 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

@rain_eclipse_ves: Yeah, originally I had thought it was just a lag cause of the site switching over. Then I thought it was the Who's Online thing. Now it just feels like a slow death. I'm starting to wonder if this was inevitable and the CVnU simply prolonged the decline. Cause things were getting really boring before that as well I remember.

Under the status quo, I agree

If enough content drivers changed the quo fundamentally, maybe not.

@gambler: I'm tied down in way to many RPG's right now. Even if I wasn't I lack the right idea. That's a lot of these slow times. The driving players have to have the right idea and the right motivation.

and it should not all rest on one person's shoulders as it does all too often...

#110 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: Well Monarch's was doomed from the start, because it was a tool for another end. I think everyone knew that. HFC's blow up was good, great even, until it was squandered.

Your team is internally active, but externally non-existent. You guys don't really effect anyone else.

Those sub worlds you talk of are the natural state of the vine. Its the big storylines that connect those sub worlds. And I know we're all belly aching about it, but that's not necessarily bad. It can't be all big storylines all the time. Secondly its only the people who lack a compelling LOCAL storyline that complain about it. Those that do have a good local line are generally content with that, and the 'local' RPs are strong right now.

I do not disagree that the sub-worlds (aka locations) are strong, but there needs to be a feeling and reaction from each that the other exist outside of events. We need local and location to location chatter.

@gambler said:

@rain_eclipse_ves: That makes sense. But I disagree about your team comment. I think thats a great thing cause A: You're active and your members are as well, and B: You have fresh takes and fresh ideas. A new pusher. Someone who can create interesting ideas that will attract attention.

I just mean we need more established teams to drive the bigger content along with the location based stuff sustaining itself to a point.

#111 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: :-P Maybe things will pick up soon. If not I'ma drop all my RP's and start throwing countries into space.

@rain_eclipse_ves: I think the reason it almost always rests on one person is because its usually only one person that is motivated by whatever idea is in question.

#112 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

and start throwing countries into space.

You cant tell me a part of you doesnt think that would be a fun rp.

#113 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#114 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#115 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: :-P Maybe things will pick up soon. If not I'ma drop all my RP's and start throwing countries into space.

@rain_eclipse_ves: I think the reason it almost always rests on one person is because its usually only one person that is motivated by whatever idea is in question.

In a perfect world the content drivers would work together in an assembly line method.

One drives while the others support and build the next one, would likely keep things humming without all the hills and valleys.

This sounds great in theory, but in practice...

#116 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#117 Edited by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: What do you mean by location to location chatter?

news being discussed about one location in another, driving interest or even crossing over here and there.

#118 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: *Nods* That happens, usually when something big happens or there's a big storyline. The HFC storyline for example caused a lot of location to location chatter. Until it was turned into a one thread show.

#119 Edited by The Psyentist (17752 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: *Nods* That happens, usually when something big happens or there's a big storyline. The HFC storyline for example caused a lot of location to location chatter. Until it was turned into a one thread show.

Wow. Didn't know I was singlehandedly killing the site.

#120 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#121 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#122 Edited by Pyrogram (39469 posts) - - Show Bio
#123 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist:

The Vine is slowly killing itself IMO, none of my comments were meant to be focused at any one person.

#124 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: Pffffffft. I'ma do it all in blog posts.

#125 Edited by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist said:

Wow. Didn't know I was singlehandedly killing the site.

Well if ya dont know now ya know know :P jus teasin. We're not saying that :(

#126 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#127 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: Actually it would be pretty epic to actually destroy a location thread and have it locked.

#128 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: @rain_eclipse_ves: Actually Psy's comment made me think of something else I've wanted to talk about. Psy wasn't around for all the developments and advancements the Vine has made in RPGing. Most of the returning old timers weren't. All this knowledge has to be passed on some how, it doesn't magically fly from our brains into everyone else brain.

And that's been a problem the Vine has had. In the time I've been here there has been a FANTASTIC amount of innovation and improvement.

The problem is the routinization of that innovation. It doesn't do any long term good to innovate if it only lasts six months. We need to somehow take this knowledge we've developed and apply it to the every day workings of the vine. To turn these innovations into routine.

Then we've somehow got to record this base of knowledge to build upon in the future.

#129 Edited by Zauberin (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

It's broken!

#130 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: A thread. Get some of the more articulate well knowledge rpgers together in a pm and map out a thread.

#131 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#132 Edited by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#133 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: You've gotta write me a section on teams :-P

AND finding the perfect AV.

#134 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: Impossible, there is no such thing as the perfect Av. Only the quest for one lol

#135 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: Its about the journey hehehe.

#136 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: @rain_eclipse_ves: Actually Psy's comment made me think of something else I've wanted to talk about. Psy wasn't around for all the developments and advancements the Vine has made in RPGing. Most of the returning old timers weren't. All this knowledge has to be passed on some how, it doesn't magically fly from our brains into everyone else brain.

And that's been a problem the Vine has had. In the time I've been here there has been a FANTASTIC amount of innovation and improvement.

The problem is the routinization of that innovation. It doesn't do any long term good to innovate if it only lasts six months. We need to somehow take this knowledge we've developed and apply it to the every day workings of the vine. To turn these innovations into routine.

Then we've somehow got to record this base of knowledge to build upon in the future.

I like the idea, but getting anyone to agree on some kind of RPG "best practices" might be difficult

Just look at some of the debates the three of us get on now add more perspectives to the mix.

It's worth a shot but who knows how it will come out.

#137 Posted by Daywing (4443 posts) - - Show Bio

So I was gone for a long while but now I'm back! :D

#138 Edited by The Psyentist (17752 posts) - - Show Bio

@daywing said:

Yay!

#139 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: Either there is some way to pass this information on or I go to prison for murder after the 3,490,302,948,302 time I explain to someone why Interaction RP's work better. Because eventually I'ma snap lol.

#140 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#141 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@rain_eclipse_ves: We just like to argue. I think when set to task we could easily do something constructive. We made the CVnU after all :D

@daywing: Welcome back

#142 Edited by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@daywing said:

You name looks familiar but I do not think we Rp'd together

Either way welcome back we need all the experienced bodies we can.

#143 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

I think when set to task we could easily do something constructive. We made the CVnU after all :D

I think about this every time someone tells me something can't be done, we're all doomed, or its too hard.

#144 Posted by Daywing (4443 posts) - - Show Bio
#145 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

I think when set to task we could easily do something constructive. We made the CVnU after all :D

I think about this every time someone tells me something can't be done, we're all doomed, or its too hard.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but stating a difficulty up front.

If a PM come of this I would be happy to participate.

#146 Edited by Surkit (11599 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix said:

I like the idea, but getting anyone to agree on some kind of RPG "best practices" might be difficult

Just look at some of the debates the three of us get on now add more perspectives to the mix.

It's worth a shot but who knows how it will come out.

Looking at Amaranth's comment I do like that. If we have super geniuses with openly known CEO statuses or sold as owning a/ known corporations should have to have a small steve jobs effects as far as daily life. If a super genius C.E.O. were to make their smartphone able to control nanite robots why can't one eight of that invention be used to leash your dog wirelessly or mow the lawn from the front porch? If I'm getting it I dig it and endorse it.

#147 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix said:

The rest are kinda a chore.

@amaranth_strix said:

HFC annoys me. No one asked me if I wanted to be in that RPG, or if it was a good idea to take a fun and exciting storyline and throw it away with a long post. That was the death of a bad ass line.

Then please by all means quit.

_______

I came back to the Vine to give RPGing here one more try. I kept hearing how bad the situation was and blah, blah, blash it needed more active people. I won't pretend to ever speak for Psy, but my 'return' was on a temporary trial. If drama would stay away and I could get interested in things then I would stick around. I jumped into the swing of things and for a while I was having fun. Then the bitching started, surprise.

@amaranth_strix: You have single handily made up my mind for rpgs here. Prime, nU universe stuff. I'm done. Thank you for showing me why I could care less about the current standings. Thank you for reminding me on why I left in the first place.

Fortunately we created a Star Wars thread and I will continue to rpg inside of it and perhaps open up other none canon rpgs. But as far as my Canon activity. As of tonight I am done. I will finish up the HFC event and that's it. To people who I have talked with about future stories and plots, I'm terrible sorry. I'm just tired of reading bull$h1t.

I'm out and won't respond to anything else in this thread.

#148 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#149 Posted by Shanana (53030 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix said:

The rest are kinda a chore.

@amaranth_strix said:

HFC annoys me. No one asked me if I wanted to be in that RPG, or if it was a good idea to take a fun and exciting storyline and throw it away with a long post. That was the death of a bad ass line.

Then please by all means quit.

_______

I came back to the Vine to give RPGing here one more try. I kept hearing how bad the situation was and blah, blah, blash it needed more active people. I won't pretend to ever speak for Psy, but my 'return' was on a temporary trial. If drama would stay away and I could get interested in things then I would stick around. I jumped into the swing of things and for a while I was having fun. Then the bitching started, surprise.

@amaranth_strix: You have single handily made up my mind for rpgs here. Prime, nU universe stuff. I'm done. Thank you for showing me why I could care less about the current standings. Thank you for reminding me on why I left in the first place.

Fortunately we created a Star Wars thread and I will continue to rpg inside of it and perhaps open up other none canon rpgs. But as far as my Canon activity. As of tonight I am done. I will finish up the HFC event and that's it. To people who I have talked with about future stories and plots, I'm terrible sorry. I'm just tired of reading bull$h1t.

I'm out and won't respond to anything else in this thread.

And there goes my rpg. Sonnova

#150 Edited by Nordok (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

Or so help me, I will hurl this entire planet into the sun with telekinesis.

No, I am not speaking IC.