#1 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

Atricus Blaire, once Minister of Social Affairs within the confines of Trinity Nippon was now running for President of the United States of America. Being of only twenty five years of age, he was the youngest person to ever run for what used to be the most prestigious office in the world. He knew what it looked like, for a young, black, unwed man to be doing so. What people would think of him was by all accounts inconsequential, what they would say and how they would act towards were as levely non important. To him, what he was doing was beyond the minds of those who could even speak on the same level as him, even as he never considered himself a genius, there was something to be said about him getting this far without many gaffes. Truly, there was an aloneness that came with his campaign. He'd not the time for love or friends, his focus was turned toward his goals, and maybe after he won, he could make room. His arrogance was the lapel of a tailored pariah suit that he wore with honor. No one got close enough to witness his mind at work, possibly no one could understand his ambition... Possibly.

It seemed as if experience had done him good, Jean Lebeau. The sheer ability of his mind was a shinig example of what the world could look forward too as a leader. Progressive, positive, unyielding. Atticus was inspired by the willpower it took to keep faith in ones dream, even after the world crimped, like the great Phoenix, he rebuild a piece of it with his capacity to think. It has always been said, and quite truly that the mind was the greatest weapon, and Jean was able to weild it properly and successfully. Atticus, had done so in Nippon while it existed. It was his policies that allowed such a growth in economic and social expansion. It was his utilization of the population meta and not that allowed him to run for President. Americans were waiting for someone like him. Vision, passion, strength. He had it all, and now that November was right around the corner, there was a twenty point margin lead in virtually every poll out there. Finishing up his last leg of the trip, passing through Egypt, Kenya, Scottland, his meeting with the JLI was set to be the cherry on top of the cake. With a question and answer session, Atticus planned to take a politically expedient ride all the way to fifty percent leads in the polls.

Arriving at the Mirage, he smoothed out his simple black tailored suit, the design homer was some Egyptian woman who was trying to get her name out there, a lot of good it did her with a man that didn't care about such things. On time, he walked into the spacious setting, the awaiting audience applauding his presence. The two thinkers took their seats, shook hands and Atticus waited for the first question.

#2 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84378 posts) - - Show Bio

Although his tailored trappings were subtle he carried himself with a presence of genuine confidence. Elevated mannerisms only added to the Nippon politicians popularity among the voters, with early polls showing a slight lead for the caramel complicated nominee. However not everyone was as star struck as the media and paparazzi. The fact that he was associated with Trinity government, who in recent months, had witness the unsolved murder of its own Emperor shortly followed by the unceremonious dissolution of its Trinity foundation had supplied enough ammunition for meta-human hate groups to rally substantiation support. Their rallying cry founded on the principle ideal that the World was no longer theres and in fact, the human race was living under a blanket of instituted meta-human domination. And so to help ease the nations growing concerns Atricus Blaire agreed to a one on one sit down so he could address the country and definitively deny any and all allegations of a superhuman conspiracy to rule the World.

For the unprecedented occasion a former president had been gracious enough to except the role of mediator slash political pundit, he himself no stranger to controversy having initiated the very first Super-Human Registration Act that had cast the United States into the now infamous Civil War 2.0. With an artificial smile and a hand shake the two men sat down to begin. Loosening the second button on his dark blue Yves Saint Laurent double breasted suit, with silk radzmir and leather collar, Jean Luc LeBeau crossed his leg, ready to begin. Tapping his methodically organized cue cards atop his knee, the self-proclaimed King of Kings flashed his trademark Cheshire Cat grin, "Mr Blaire, let me start by saying congratulations on winning your parties nomination, tis truly an honor to meet you sir." pausing letting those in attendance clap. "Okay, lets begin. Mr. Blaire, how do you respond to those who say meta-humans, super-humans, aliens, and so forth, shouldn't be allowed to hold any political office let alone dee Presidency? I mean, you can hardly blame them for their reluctance especially in light of the tragic Ninjan war that almost saw dee World as we know it destroyed. How do you respond to those who say any individual with special abilities should not only Register, but should be monitored at all times?" pausing as he arrogantly adjusted his shoulders. For although on the surface the interview seemed like yet another election time Q&A, the secretive assassin had ulterior motives.

The game of manipulation had begun. A strategical mental battle of chess like maneuvering was about to be unknowingly witnessed by those in attendance and the millions watching around the World.

#3 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

Confrontation was best met head on some said, Atticus didn't believe that at all. There was a distinct instinct within him that told him other wise, a voice shouting, "THINK. USE YOUR HEAD" It meant for him that he should always use his mind to surmount problems, whatever they were. Addressing the question, he'd just been asked was now the perfect time to display the ever evolving prowess that was his mind.

"Mr Blaire, let me start by saying congratulations on winning your parties nomination, tis truly an honor to meet you sir." "Okay, lets begin. Mr. Blaire, how do you respond to those who say meta-humans, super-humans, aliens, and so forth, shouldn't be allowed to hold any political office let alone dee Presidency? I mean, you can hardly blame them for their reluctance especially in light of the tragic Ninjan war that almost saw dee World as we know it destroyed. How do you respond to those who say any individual with special abilities should not only Register, but should be monitored at all times?"

His spine stiffened as if steel rods had been driven right through them. Centering himself in the plushy seat, he sat forward, stroking his just shaven chin before answering the loaded question. Through much of his campaign Atticus had released press releases informing the public of what he though, in his second to last, he wrote a rather lengthy summary of what he thought of the super human agenda, and such. "In America, we have a saying. "Innocent until proven guilty." And no matter how much we try to subject others to our judgment, it has ultimately always been up to the law to punish, normal people...those without any sort of meta/super ability. But people with power, have taken the law into their own hands, becoming a loosely configure martial state in which if they don't like something they try their best to change it. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they don't. The point is, it is now time to rethink the constant clash that is, government and meta humanity. If they are one in the same, then there will be no reason for backlash...To suggest that, every single person with a meta ability, no matter how insignificant, needs, or should be forced to register, is quite absurd. I know that there are people out there who work regular 9 to 5's and can also melt ice with their brain. If that person desires to live a life without the dramatic heroism aspect then there is no reason to be registered. After all, humans have always had talents, and abilities, and did they have to register with the government? It's unfair to burden some, and not others with a constant watch. The term "Separate but Equal" comes to mind, I think it describes it best."

"I myself, am a meta-human. I did, use my "talents" to help fend of the Ninjan invasion. But, you and everyone else must understand, that I never wanted that life. And it's why I decided to run for president, because, to me it was a symbol of how meta humanity, and homosapien can coexist without conflict. Suggesting that, I or others have nefarious plans to subjugate people to do our will, or anything to the like is preposterous. Most people have no desire to rule the world. Most people have no desire to do harm to others. It's the sick and demented that aspire for such chaos, and where they have tried to implement disaster, others have worked, and died for peace. It has been that way since the beginning of time. It is the way things work, whether we like it or not. Everything has an equal and opposite reaction.

I see a world, where chaos exists, but also love and peace. I wouldn't want to sound like hippy neutralist who thinks everything will work itself out. I believe that sometimes action and force are necessary to achieve a goal. And its why, if I'm President, I would work with Congress, to enact a different kind of registration. The Coexistence Act."

#4 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84378 posts) - - Show Bio

Carefully constructed responses rapidly filtered out to the audience with dignified intelligence, as Atricus Blaire methodically maneuvered around the Cajun's intricate web of concealed criticism. Cleverly cloaked agenda driven questions were systematically dismantled with no visible sign of agitation or hesitation. Equally coy and unassuming, Jean Luc remained with his leg crossed issuing the common courtesy one would expect in such a forum. Yet underneath the facade, the former President and author of the Registration Act was feverishly plotting two and three maneuvers ahead as he attempted to anticipate certain responses in hopes of leading the Presidential hopeful down a line of questioning that would ultimately derail his candidacy.

The point is, it is now time to rethink the constant clash that is, government and meta humanity. If they are one in the same, then there will be no reason for backlash...To suggest that, every single person with a meta ability, no matter how insignificant, needs, or should be forced to register, is quite absurd. I know that there are people out there who work regular 9 to 5's and can also melt ice with their brain. If that person desires to live a life without the dramatic heroism aspect then there is no reason to be registered.

Raising his finger while flashing a condescending smirk amidst his theatrical head shaking Jean began to break down the nominee's responses by compartmentalizing them, thus making them easier to misconstrue taking vital points out of context in hopes of manipulating the fickle minded audience. "See, but dat is dee problem Mr. Blaire. It doesn't matter if Donald Dairy Farmer who can create realities with a thought doesnt wish to be a hero, dee registration isn't for his pursuit, or lack dhere of, of being a hero. No sir, dee registration is for Jon and Jane public who have a right to know if dhier little children are sitting next to potential Atom Bomb. If dee Mailman is capable of reading thoughts with a simple touch, some folks may find dat information helpful before shaking dee mans HAND" pausing as he elevated his arms with exaggeration.

After all, humans have always had talents, and abilities, and did they have to register with the government? It's unfair to burden some, and not others with a constant watch. The term "Separate but Equal" comes to mind, I think it describes it best."

"What talents exactly Mr. Blaire? What abilities? Dee ability to run at Olympic level speeds? Is that life threatening if undocumented? No, not at all" smiling the entire time. "Dees people sir, you're people, my people, are weapons. And we register our weapons in dis country sir. Its a fundamental principle."

"I myself, am a meta-human. I did, use my "talents" to help fend of the Ninjan invasion. "

Nodding his head and standing up clapping inviting the audience to do the same, the Cajun visually praised the former Trinity affiliate for his war time contribution. "And dee World thanks you for your selfless acts of heroism, truly sir, truly inspirational. But it has to be asked, was dis Ninjan, dee originator of dee attack, was she registered? Had she been registered could dee entire War have been diverted? One has to ask dee question...."

Suggesting that, I or others have nefarious plans to subjugate people to do our will, or anything to the like is preposterous. Most people have no desire to rule the world.

Turning in his chair while a small screen descended from the auditorium ceiling, the master manipulator turned down the lights while a projection of the World was cast upon the screen. Color coordinated sections were instantly identifiable. "Sir you say you have no desire to rule dee World, yet , here you are, jockeying for dee most coveted position in dee World. Well lets just take a look at our World as it stands today. Russia and Iceland, occupied by an unregistered meta, or god, or maybe even dee Horseman of Apocalypse themselves, no one really knows anymore. South America, we have unconfirmed reports dat sections of dis country had been folded into a new regime and Empire exclusively controlled by a meta.....and here you sit, telling us not to worry, its inconceivable, preposterous, you're dee exception. While we all sit and watch dee World we love fall like dominoes."

Situating back in his chair confident he had spun the man's words against their intended meaning proudly shaking his head in arrogant self-absorption, Jean Luc closed his line of questining with a simple inquiry. "Mr. Blaire, as we bring dis session to a conclusion I just have to ask, what are your qualifications? I mean, have you ever held a political office prior to dis endeavor? Mayor? Governor? Student Council?" no longer presenting the reserved posture of an impartial corespondent. "Sir are you even legally documented to be in dis country? Dee only legal documentation dis office was able to dig up pertained to your diplomatic statues within dee borders of Nippon." dropping the microphone Gambler rose from his seat simultaneously pulling the pressed edges of his dark blue overindulgent two button Caraceni suit together. "Ladies and Gentleman it is time to take back your country, take back your World. How many people must suffer, how many nations must fall before you stop placing your misguided faith in dee hands of dee so called, meta-human? Registration is dee only way. An America by the people, for dee people, of dee people.....dee NORMAL PEOPLE!"

#5 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19235 posts) - - Show Bio

"When someone shows you who they are. Believe them."~Maya Angelou~

Atticus likened this escapade to something wild. Like a salt water crocodile snapping its jaws shut, clenching a baby waterbuffalo within its many teeth. The years of experience, the difference of age, and all around tact was apparent here. Jean had come, dressed to the nines, tens, and elevens. While Atticus sat doutily in the paisley plush chair.

At the moment he was listening to the separationist sermon Jean had sporadically began. It was to be expected. However vivacious, Jean was old, and with age came old ideas, old principles, solutions. However, it was still to be seen if his newness would be accepted, if his inexperience as a politician would mirror his own wisdom. "Don't make a fool out of yourself." Starring down his once hero of thought. "They say that you should never meet your heroes, and they were right. I admired your mind, but now I see that you're just as burdened with the past as everyone else. But I offer you, America, the world freedom from those burdens." Stepping out in front of Jean,Atticus stoed into the still rowdy crowd. "At one point in time, because I'm black I couldnt even vote, much less run for president." He turns to a woman in the audience, she looked to be of old age, however the dim lighting and potent smell of cigarettes could have been the withering culprit. "At one time ma'am you couldn't vote either. You couldn't even have your own bank account." he stopped in the middle of the aisle and turned to face Jean once again. "What you preach is why these things were. The beliefs that somehow just because you can do something special, that you have lighter skin, more money, or just a greener lawn, that somehow it makes you better that someone without those things." The audience had quieted down now. The startling juxtaposition between the two men's approaches were apparent. With tranquil assertion, Atticus had them all at least listening to him, most of which were eating out of the palm of his hand. "My campaign has recently taken a turn, when I addressed the emergence of the Iberian empire. To reiterate, I was not threatening, I was warning those who would look elsewhere for solace that it is not found in external dowries, but within. That map that was shown was unfortunate, but it was an example of how I see the world, and how I want it to be. Unity. Oneness. That is what we all should aspire to. We all are our brothers' keepers. It is up to us to make sure that we are secure for our future. It is up to us to ensure that our posterity not fear those who are different, but embrace them with open arms. My people, my lovely people. Our world has changed from what it used to be. It is a foolish thought to believe that it will ever be the same again."

Now directly addressing Jean. "You said that if Maya was registered then maybe the invasion wouldn't have happened. Well I can definitively say no to that. As she was Ninjan, her ties were here on Earth, her life was here. It wouldn't of mattered if she, I, or anyone else was registered because I know that the Ninjans slaughtered us because we had done it to them. As a planet, we were unprepared for the retaliation of those whom we've harmed in the past. That uprising spawned from our disparate actions. Think about it, if there had been a united front to begin with, we could have spared so many lives. I say again that divided we fall!" "As the Minister of Social Affairs in Nippon, I made a point of knowing my constituency, bridging the gap between the people that make law, and the people who have to follow it. I encourage the integration of power use in the work force resulting in 200% productivity. These new ideas were embraced there, and if I'm elected with be put forth before congress and voted on. I have confidence that they will believe in me, and that they will believe that America can be great once again"

He took the steps back to the stage, trying to analyze what Jeans next move was, no doubt he'd done the same. This could go on for hours, but time was meaningless when it came to winning a vote.