#51 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

I was bummed they didn't have an Oracle in the movies.

I really need my Oracle fix.

I'm gonna re-read BOP, I think.

#52 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall said:

I was bummed they didn't have an Oracle in the movies.

I really need my Oracle fix.

I'm gonna re-read BOP, I think.

Did that a month ago, entire run

#53 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: Me too. The concept of the character was great.

#54 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rain_Eclipse_Ves: I'm about to do that. Gotta get Catwoman out of the way first, though.

@Amaranth_Strix: I miss her so much. My biggest beef with the DCnU.

#55 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: Yeah really. Oracle was something special, but caped crime fighters are a dime a dozen. They should have kept her the way she was.

#56 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix said:

@Quintus_Knightfall: That is true lol. Go wild here, use the Bronson look where he's painted gold or whatever ;-)

LOL run around whoopin ass and hanging d@ng

#57 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix: She was also the connecting string between so much of the DCnU, something I think I mentioned in our PM yesterday. It's something that the DcnU lacks and greatly needs - a sense of cohesion.

#58 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall: Oh my god do it lol.

@Ellie_Knightfall: I agree. But to be fair that takes time to build.

#59 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix: Right, but they carried plenty of canon over from the old universe. GL and Batman remained pretty untouched. They were just all about everybody being hip, cool and young. They threw out family relationships and long-established characters in order to turn everything into a 90's extreme rerun.

#60 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix said:

@Ellie_Knightfall: Yeah really. Oracle was something special, but caped crime fighters are a dime a dozen. They should have kept her the way she was.

Sounds like an echo from within my own head

#61 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

Oracle < nU babs :D

#62 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: I think a lot of that stuff needed to be thrown out. Character development and established canon are not sacred. Characters often develop into worse characters.

That said the appeal of DC has often been the gravitas of its iconic heroes and the role of women in the universe. Both of those things suffered a great deal, and they didn't need to.

As you said the 'hip, cool and young' thing wasn't an improvement in all cases. The iconic heroes shouldn't remind you of you, they should remind you of an idealized father figure [with the exception of WW of course].

The fate of the female characters was equally poor, however in any upheaval the minority suffers, so I did expect that. Especially because the n52 was about pivoting away from the smaller demographic of fans who were attached to the canon and side characters.

#63 Posted by Shanana (53031 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall:

To bad he doesn't have good enough images

#64 Posted by Feral Nova (46774 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOB!

#65 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ziccarra_Liafador: I found maybe one or two after that conversation we had in which you showed me a video of him. Dude is badass.

#66 Posted by Shanana (53031 posts) - - Show Bio

@Feral Nova said:

NOOB! <3

LOL

@Quintus_Knightfall said:

@Ziccarra_Liafador: I found maybe one or two after that conversation we had in which you showed me a video of him. Dude is badass.

Oh yeah lol

#67 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall: This one?

#68 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

Fck off. You're wrong.

@Amaranth_Strix said:

@Ellie_Knightfall: I think a lot of that stuff needed to be thrown out. Character development and established canon are not sacred. Characters often develop into worse characters.

That said the appeal of DC has often been the gravitas of its iconic heroes and the role of women in the universe. Both of those things suffered a great deal, and they didn't need to.

As you said the 'hip, cool and young' thing wasn't an improvement in all cases. The iconic heroes shouldn't remind you of you, they should remind you of an idealized father figure [with the exception of WW of course].

The fate of the female characters was equally poor, however in any upheaval the minority suffers, so I did expect that. Especially because the n52 was about pivoting away from the smaller demographic of fans who were attached to the canon and side characters.

I agree that a lot of canon needed to either outright thrown out or at the very least cleaned up, but I think DC did a somewhat sucky job of doing it. I'm not a canon purist, by any means. I think retcons can be interesting and are needed.

It was sloppy, outright sloppy. Everything that I like about DCnU could have been achieved in the old universe or with a quick retcon and then everything I dislike wouldn't have existed (that's selfish, it's true, though).

DC decided to appeal to the lowest common denominator for an influx of cash and new readers. I'm all about inclusionary practices and drawing in new fans and buyers of your product - a business will wither and die without it and comics had been on a bit of a decline. I am not about doing that to the detriment of people who have dedicated years of their lives and hundreds/thousands of dollars to your business.

#69 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: I think DC had come to the realization that either they make a change or at some point they will no longer exist except to sell Movie/TV rights. So in a lot of ways things where rushed, hurried because they didn't think through all the issues they were facing, or bring in outside voices who could survey and categorize their demographics.

#70 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix: I think so. Gives me an idea now lol

#71 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever Starscream

@Amaranth_Strix said:

I have nothing against change, as long as it is an improvement, the New 52 did her no favors IMO

#72 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall: I've got a notebook somewhere with a write up based on Sub-Zero / Cyborg Sub-Zero lol.

#73 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix said:

@Ellie_Knightfall: I think DC had come to the realization that either they make a change or at some point they will no longer exist except to sell Movie/TV rights. So in a lot of ways things where rushed, hurried because they didn't think through all the issues they were facing, or bring in outside voices who could survey and categorize their demographics.

But at the same time, how sustainable is this? They brought in all these new fans, but is there an emotional connection? Are they building an emotional connection when every three or four months another wave of innovative, fringe, good books that aren't getting enough love are cancelled (they just cancelled Insurgent after THREE issues). Then a month or so later a new wave is announced and it will undoubtedly contain at least one Superman and/or Batman book?

They're giving up innovation and intellectual depth to bring what they think will sell. And while it may be a good short-term sales model, it's not going to bring them long-term readers, I don't think.

#74 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: I think they are relying on a core of titles to consistently sell and rotating their other titles to look for something that can join their core titles in sales numbers. I think its sustainable if they did it right, but they're ignoring sure things [like Cassandra Cain], and throwing money into books like Aquaman, which is not the way to do it lol.

So in effect they've selected a ruthless but effective strategy. Find the books that sell. Keep them. Cut EVERYTHING else. But then they only half follow it, which denies them the upside, finding books with consistent numbers, but leaves them with the downside, which is their wild flailing never grasps hold of fans and keeps them.

#75 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix: To be fair, Aquaman is awesome. Touching on Cass, I am utterly mind-boggled why they haven't done anything with her or Steph when there is a CLEAR and present demand for them. They have a ridiculous fan base and it's a travesty (and a mystery) that it hasn't been utilized yet.

That makes sense, now that you say it.

#76 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

Cassandra!

I feel like I shouldn't love her this much because I've never read a book with her in it, but I do.

#77 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall: But lets be realistic about Aquaman here lol. No matter how good he is, eventually he will have a slump. Bad writing, art, something. Happens to every character. And when that happens his numbers will dry up. The tide will go out. The boat will run ashore [okay I'm done]. Because when you get down too it, he's not a character with wide appeal. Batman can stand on his own through a crappy run, because BATMAN is interesting. Aquaman? He'll sleep with the fishes [couldn't stop myself].

Yeah.. Cass is free money! I mean, I'd advise keeping costs low, she's not Batman money lol, but some serviceable art and an arc acceptable to her fans and she'll pull in consistent numbers every month.

#78 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix: You're terrible... and make fair points despite horribly abusing puns.

There are numerous writers (big money writers) who have made it clear to editorial that they'd savor the chance to write her and Steph and still no....it just kills me.

#79 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall said:

@Amaranth_Strix: You're terrible...

I woke up feisty today lol.

#80 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix said:

@Ellie_Knightfall said:

@Amaranth_Strix: You're terrible...

I woke up feisty today lol.

I see that lol

#81 Edited by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rain_Eclipse_Ves said:

If your looking for pretty pictures and lots of detail, go look at Sha's RPG.

-comes in here because he was told to-

Good luck!

(This was posted as a jest!)

(Not the good luck part.. That was legit.)

#82 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdwardWindsor said:

though crazy that Eddy throws a flag into space and i get hate mail

If Andferne was still alive he would of done a LOT more than just send hate mail.

#83 Posted by Zeon Liafador (716 posts) - - Show Bio

wait is Andy gonna be in this? xD

#84 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio

To protect Venezuela? Pfft. lol

#85 Posted by Zeon Liafador (716 posts) - - Show Bio

Not protect it, just keep it out of the hands of the Cardinals :P

#86 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio

People complain about America butting their heads in other peoples business all the time. Let's see how they do without us! :P

#87 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Scarlett X: yep i got hate mail lol

@Alurvelve: well he isnt now is he lol, same with war killer no more flags among the champions.

#88 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alurvelve: In a superhero setting?

Just fine :)

we might need your products though, but china can make em cheaper

#89 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix said:

@Quintus_Knightfall: I've got a notebook somewhere with a write up based on Sub-Zero / Cyborg Sub-Zero lol.

Nice. Always liked Scorpion myself.

#90 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Amaranth_Strix said:

Nice. Always liked Scorpion myself.

Raiden....wins....

#91 Edited by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rain_Eclipse_Ves: Ermac and Shang Tsung are both better then Raiden (Lambert ruined Raiden for me)

#92 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rain_Eclipse_Ves: Ermac and Shang Tsung are both better then Raiden (Lambert ruined Raiden for me)

Not an MK fan, just wanted to say someone wins

#93 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall: i always saw you a johnny cage man lol

Barraka wins, so many arms!

#94 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rain_Eclipse_Ves: I liked the fan movie thing MK legacy.

@EdwardWindsor: Hahaha he was cool but he dies.....dying aint stylish :P

Barraka was the only character I knew the Fatality for when that game came out lol

#95 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall: sometimes its better to die the hero than see yourself become the villain.

Ps i was crap with Barraka he was just STRONG. i used the same guys as most people Scorpion/Sub zero/Lui Kang and Cage ( only because he had numb-chucks and can rip out brains)

#96 Posted by Reignfire (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall:

High quality HD cams are so cheap now you can make a semi-professional film for peanuts

#97 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdwardWindsor: Yeah but if you crap your pants when you die no one remembers the heroics, just the mess.

@Rain_Eclipse_Ves: I echoed this statement in a thread awhile back. Ranting on about how Hollywood should be careful because of exactly that. When someone with a computer and a hand held can make a legit MK movie and Hollywood dumps millions into a cheese fest that fans hate, its time to step their game up.

#98 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall:

lol will try to remember that since this account is heading that way, will just die off post. Dam Kurrent must be a mess guys has more lives than a cat. (Respect to the man)

#99 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdwardWindsor: LOL

#100 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure at this point in his life Andy would care what happens in Venezuela. However I might try and get involved in another way (as in a different character).