The Planet Ephemera (Open CVnU RPG)
The Planet Ephemera is located in a solar system far from Earth, although the environment that developed there is similar enough that most of Earth’s life could exist here unassisted. What makes this planet notably different, however, is that many of the flora, fauna, and minerals possess some manner of unusual magical property.
Unfortunately, it was these properties that brought Ephemera to the attention of Nordok’s Abyssal Imperium. Under the command of the ruthless General Xundar, the Imperium swarmed into the planet’s capital city. The Ephemerans, possessing no magic and only medieval-level technology, were quickly overrun, and their simple yet beautiful cities were transformed into industrial monstrosities, centers for extracting, experimenting upon, and processing the planet’s unique resources.
However, the Ephemerans were unwilling to admit defeat, and quickly organized a guerrilla resistance to fight against the occupation of their home. Though outnumbered and outgunned, they are prepared to fight until the very last of them falls.
- All the standard RPG and CVnU rules apply, of course.
- Your first post must explain how you arrive on the planet.
- If you want to make Ephemeran characters/NPCs (detailed below), go crazy.
- Feel free to use any basic Imperium forces (detailed in my blog), as part of this RP. The only units that are off-limits are the capital ships and the commanders.
- Lunaris City: this once stately Ephemeran city bore the brunt of the Imperium’s invasion. Now, it has been completely rebuilt as the center of the Imperium’s presence on the planet. Brutally ugly military facilities, refineries, and research stations mar the landscape and spew a never-ending stream of industrial pollution into the surrounding areas. Building are constructed, modified, demolished, and simply abandoned as need dictates, creating a chaotic and ever-changing sprawl that is massively disorienting to most. At the center of this technological monstrosity is Volcanis, the massive fortress that Xundar constructed as his personal headquarters while he subjugates the planet in his master’s name.
- The Forgotten Woods: an enormous, primeval forestland, the Forgotten Woods is quite literally a place that time forgot, as dinosaurs and other creatures grown several orders too large call it home. The trees exude a strange aura that creates a dead-magic zone, as well as emitting a powerful EM field that renders most technology inoperable. It is because of these qualities that the Resistance is based in these woods. Their camps are kept deliberately small and spread out in easily defensible locations. The headquarters is whatever camp the leaders happen to be staying in at the time.
- The Mountains of Power: a range of volcanic peaks that divides the planet along its equator, these mountains contain rich veins of arcanium, a remarkable metal that enhances magical energies. As a result, any magical effects or abilities activated in this area have a vastly enhanced power level.
- The Sands of Chaos: this vast desert, which encompasses most of the southern continent, contains sand laced with arcanium particulates from the Mountains of Power. As a result, the magical energies of this area are random and unpredictable, and any magic used here will almost certainly behave erratically. The desert is largely uninhabited, a result of both the inhospitable climate and the massive, carnivorous worms that burrow beneath the shifting sands.
Ephemerans (new race): Ephemerans are physically identical to humans. They cultivated a civilization that was roughly on par with Europe’s Middle Ages prior to the Imperium’s invasion. They have no magical traditions, and in fact have a genetic resistance to magic, a trait that becomes more potent with age and can also be enhanced with meditation.