• 142 results
Posted by mikehly (98 posts) 1 year, 12 days ago

Poll: Do you prefer being a hero or villain? (48 votes)

Hero 56%
Villain 44%
#51 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14400 posts) - - Show Bio

cough true blue here

#52 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

Neutrality. Like others say it's fun to do what you wish with that aspect of humanity. I don't think no one really writes the stereotypical hero or villain anymore, unless they're really lazy.

Playing a traditional hero or villain is simply too restrictive to my tastes, yet others have shown it can be done well with effort.

@xenon_ said:

You know what. Do we actually have a TRUE Hero? I can't name one true hero on the Vine. lmfao

True Blue is my middle name(s), son.

In answer to the question, I've always found the mindset of a hero far more interesting than anything else. The Vine has always been heavy on the grey, most people enjoy writing a neutral because it allows them to take the character in pretty much whatever direction they like, I can understand that having written as Hesperus for a while too.

But still, I think that heroes are the most interesting characters of all. Neutrals and villains tend to be built around the concept of self-preservation, which is totally natural and evolutionary and sensible. The hero dedicates himself to selfless acts and risks their life on a daily basis, which is unnatural and suicidal and crazy. I've never found heroes easierto write, but when a writer really gets into their character's head and figures out why, of all things, their character wants to be a hero... that's what really captures my attention.

Back in Prime I had an easy answer for why Eclipse was a hero: he was destined to die, self-preservation was out of the question. So his motivation was easy to build out of that. Now, here in the NU, he has no such destiny, so it's a lot more challenging to figure out why this guy is a hero.

To be honest even most of the greys lean one way or the other to a significant degree, the majority are far from being anywhere close to a true neutral. There are many that would almost fit your definition of a hero, only the methods and motivations behind the acts are different to a degree. The bar color is really only good for guessing what direction the writer is taking a character at the current time.

@xenon_: I was totally a true hero before all the crap happened.

Of course, there's also accounting what different people consider a "true hero."

There are also many characters that are widely considered (by the writer and readers) one alignment that I completely disagree with. For most people on the Vine IMO a True Hero is simply a traditional one in the comics sense.

@armistice said:

Being a villain is fun, but it is also the easy route as you have no restrictions.

I agree with this playing a villain seems much more fun and unrestricted, however, I think it is much more difficult to come up with a legitimate/original/interesting background for a villain type rather than being a villain for the sake of it.

It really depends on how extreme you are towards one side or the other (hero or villain) IMO, the farther you are in one direction the smaller the box you put yourself in with regards to options. There are many options to still humanize and sympathize with a villain as long as yo remember they are still a person and not just a mindless monster.

No one would know it by my choice of characters on here but at least 3/4 of my RPG career was playing villains of various types and degrees. Never had an issue differentiating or fleshing them out myself. I lean towards the good side here simply as a change of pace.

@_strigidae_: Well back in those days, 'hero' was pretty much just their word for 'protagonist'. Though I think it's important to remember that most characters, whether they are a hero or villain, think of themselves as the 'hero' in that sense of the word. Everyone's a hero in their own way :P

@_strigidae_: Well back in those days, 'hero' was pretty much just their word for 'protagonist'. Though I think it's important to remember that most characters, whether they are a hero or villain, think of themselves as the 'hero' in that sense of the word. Everyone's a hero in their own way :P

Blue / Grey / Red and Hero/Villain are simply too broad for more than general use, most of the better characters and writers straddle the lines too often to label them.

There are many Greys I consider to be closer to a hero than many of the Blues. As others have stated it all falls into personal perspective in the end.

#53 Posted by Supreme_Chancellor (99 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: Being a grey just means that they have an excuse to turn evil at a whim lol

#54 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: Being a grey just means that they have an excuse to turn evil at a whim lol

I disagree completely.

IMO most people choose sporting the grey bar because they do not want others to assume their character falls into either a traditional hero/villain role. Too many preconceptions based on it from my experience.

#55 Posted by Tranquil (3346 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of have a tendency to play all alignments with any character that I favor. When I create a character I don't think of him as a hero, neut, or villain, I just think of him as a person, morals come later. I believe that every hero has a point in time where they just want to be the villain and vice versa, which is something I've exercised with various characters in my rpg career.

#56 Posted by Supreme_Chancellor (99 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: They can switch from whatever they want as there are on preconceptions, simple. Or not, whatever.

#57 Edited by .Ajax. (2480 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more naturally inclined to play a hero, it's just how I've always been. However, I find playing a villain is much more fun and entertaining.

#58 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil said:

I kind of have a tendency to play all alignments with any character that I favor. When I create a character I don't think of him as a hero, neut, or villain, I just think of him as a person, morals come later. I believe that every hero has a point in time where they just want to be the villain and vice versa, which is something I've exercised with various characters in my rpg career.

There is nothing wrong with a character skirting the edges of each or even shifting to a large degree as long as the story and reasoning behind it support the change.

Ziccarra Liafador and Quntus Knightfall are good examples, both have shown widely varying morals/roles but the change is always rooted into something that explains it.

Nothing is more annoying than a character that suddenly acts vastly out of character for no reason whatsoever or on a whim. (See Marvel Comics in the 2000's fr what NOT to do)

#59 Posted by superstay (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

cough true blue here

You, Feral Nova, and Andy are the only three Viners I know well enough to consider a true/traditional Blue.

#61 Posted by Tranquil (3346 posts) - - Show Bio

@edwardwindsor said:

cough true blue here

You, Feral Nova, and Andy are the only three Viners I know well enough to consider a true/traditional Blue.

Andy should've played captain america. That guy is a true blue irl. xD

#62 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

@supreme_chancellor said:

@armistice: They can switch from whatever they want as there are on preconceptions, simple. Or not, whatever.

This is pretty much what I was going to say in reply, yeah... It's not a general rule, it doesn't apply to every neutral, because there are many, MANY people I've known who have written a neutral character brilliantly and straddle the line just enough to justify not declaring their allegiance to one side or the other. Thing is, neutral is literally the default setting for new accounts (I think... xD) and what most people stick with.

Personally, it's always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine that heroic 'neutrals' insist on calling their character neutral. The term 'neutral' implies that you are on the fence, and when you factor in that the other two options on this site are hero/villain, it means that you are not on one side or the other of the 'good vs evil' battle. Now, that is simply not true for a lot of neutrals I remember working with, people like Sovereign Son and Mistress Redhead, for instance, were pretty much always clearly on the side of good, yet identified as neutral. MR was the leader of the Champions of Peace, THE hero team, and her character risked a lot for their sake. She identified as neutral, but her character was more blue than many others I can think of. It seems like a lot of people create this heroic character and then think "oh, but my character kills... guess he's a neutral!" Uhhh, no... A hero who kills is still a hero, I mean people don't call Captain America a neutral character.

I guess the reason I find the hero characters the most captivating is just that they don't appear to make any sense... I'm sure pretty much everyone on this site has had fantasies wherein they have superpowers, but realistically how many of us would choose the life of your standard superhero if we did? You look at people like Spider-man or Batman and the thing that really stands out is that their life SUCKS. Like, the most selfless act that a person can do is to sacrifice their life for someone else, and that is what true heroes do, they sacrifice their right to have a life in order to provide others with that opportunity. I dunno, that whole concept just really gets me excited, gets my creative juices flowing, and I realise that other people are interested in different characters, just felt like sharing my thoughts... :)

#63 Posted by AmazingAngel (4046 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant entertain myself when writing a hero. Which is why I'm a big fan of those who can and who do it well.

#65 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty much what I was going to say in reply, yeah... It's not a general rule, it doesn't apply to every neutral, because there are many, MANY people I've known who have written a neutral character brilliantly and straddle the line just enough to justify not declaring their allegiance to one side or the other. Thing is, neutral is literally the default setting for new accounts (I think... xD) and what most people stick with.

Personally, it's always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine that heroic 'neutrals' insist on calling their character neutral. The term 'neutral' implies that you are on the fence, and when you factor in that the other two options on this site are hero/villain, it means that you are not on one side or the other of the 'good vs evil' battle. Now, that is simply not true for a lot of neutrals I remember working with, people like Sovereign Son and Mistress Redhead, for instance, were pretty much always clearly on the side of good, yet identified as neutral. MR was the leader of the Champions of Peace, THE hero team, and her character risked a lot for their sake. She identified as neutral, but her character was more blue than many others I can think of. It seems like a lot of people create this heroic character and then think "oh, but my character kills... guess he's a neutral!" Uhhh, no... A hero who kills is still a hero, I mean people don't call Captain America a neutral character.

I guess the reason I find the hero characters the most captivating is just that they don't appear to make any sense... I'm sure pretty much everyone on this site has had fantasies wherein they have superpowers, but realistically how many of us would choose the life of your standard superhero if we did? You look at people like Spider-man or Batman and the thing that really stands out is that their life SUCKS. Like, the most selfless act that a person can do is to sacrifice their life for someone else, and that is what true heroes do, they sacrifice their right to have a life in order to provide others with that opportunity. I dunno, that whole concept just really gets me excited, gets my creative juices flowing, and I realise that other people are interested in different characters, just felt like sharing my thoughts... :)

I do not necessarily disagree with your view, you bring valid points. My points are not what I think should be in stone, just what I have observed over time, I am nether advocating or endorsing a set way.

I also agree that many writers choose to align their characters as neutral even when the content really does not support it. IMO this has more to do with how much more the line has become blurred over the years, writers just find it harder to identify with one side over the other and choose the middle ground.

The Vine has been more villains vs. other villains for a long time now and even the few so called heroes are a lot more grey than they used to (even in my limited time). The fact that you are entranced and motivated to play the more traditional hero is a good thing, diversity is a good thing and sorely lacking on the Blue side of the spectrum.

#66 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not necessarily disagree with your view, you bring valid points. My points are not what I think should be in stone, just what I have observed over time, I am nether advocating or endorsing a set way.

I also agree that many writers choose to align their characters as neutral even when the content really does not support it. IMO this has more to do with how much more the line has become blurred over the years, writers just find it harder to identify with one side over the other and choose the middle ground.

The Vine has been more villains vs. other villains for a long time now and even the few so called heroes are a lot more grey than they used to (even in my limited time). The fact that you are entranced and motivated to play the more traditional hero is a good thing, diversity is a good thing and sorely lacking on the Blue side of the spectrum.

Nor do I necessarily disagree with you, I'm just doing the same thing, sharing what I've experienced in my time here :) I'm not one to get into unnecessary debates, haha

I suppose you're right, but I still think that neutral should really only apply to those characters who could easily change sides. That's something I feel Mercy, for instance, has done well, you never know if her character is going to do something fairly heroic or wind up working for Gambler (again). If a character is described as 'neutral' but would realistically NEVER cross the line (bar some extreme/traumatic circumstances) then, personally, I wouldn't class that character as neutral. To be honest, when I get to know another person's character, the label they choose doesn't matter much. I can remember plenty of 'neutral' characters that, to me, were always heroes.

It's interesting that if you look at the poll, the majority are now voting hero, while, as you say, the Vine is currently quite oversaturated with villains. I've got an idea in the works that will hopefully change that, give the Vine's heroes something to rally around and look to as an example. Back in prime we always had Andferne, Kurrent, etc. to look back at for inspiration... Not so much in the NU, so that's something I'm hoping to introduce. We'll see how well it works xP

#67 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

Nor do I necessarily disagree with you, I'm just doing the same thing, sharing what I've experienced in my time here :) I'm not one to get into unnecessary debates, haha

I suppose you're right, but I still think that neutral should really only apply to those characters who could easily change sides. That's something I feel Mercy, for instance, has done well, you never know if her character is going to do something fairly heroic or wind up working for Gambler (again). If a character is described as 'neutral' but would realistically NEVER cross the line (bar some extreme/traumatic circumstances) then, personally, I wouldn't class that character as neutral. To be honest, when I get to know another person's character, the label they choose doesn't matter much. I can remember plenty of 'neutral' characters that, to me, were always heroes.

It's interesting that if you look at the poll, the majority are now voting hero, while, as you say, the Vine is currently quite oversaturated with villains. I've got an idea in the works that will hopefully change that, give the Vine's heroes something to rally around and look to as an example. Back in prime we always had Andferne, Kurrent, etc. to look back at for inspiration... Not so much in the NU, so that's something I'm hoping to introduce. We'll see how well it works xP

According to Zauby I am the root or participant in so many debates they are now called Armistice Problems.

I would also agree that neutral should be reserved for those who have a legitimate reason to play or work both sides based on content. There are tons of characters I would also argue the chosen classification, but as you stated people just pick one and move on while rarely looking back to see if it is actually fitting in hindsight.

IMO the Vine needs at least one established and active team that leans in each of the three directions to have the conflicts of interest to build off of. Most teams in the CVnU have very little staying power and what little content tends to stay within their own walls.

#68 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Zauby I am the root or participant in so many debates they are now called Armistice Problems.

I would also agree that neutral should be reserved for those who have a legitimate reason to play or work both sides based on content. There are tons of characters I would also argue the chosen classification, but as you stated people just pick one and move on while rarely looking back to see if it is actually fitting in hindsight.

IMO the Vine needs at least one established and active team that leans in each of the three directions to have the conflicts of interest to build off of. Most teams in the CVnU have very little staying power and what little content tends to stay within their own walls.

Nice one xP I remember I used to be an argumentative little sh*t (for lack of a better word, haha) with certain people, but the last couple of years have done wonders for reducing my arrogance ^__^

Yup, definitely. When I was active you had 3/4 hero teams that stood the test of time (which later banded together), Wolf Pack plus maybe another couple of neutral teams, and the Gambler team-of-the-week. The villain team situation always amused me, because it was essentially the same people joining each team, getting bored and setting up a new team with pretty much the same roster, just a different name, lol... Hopefully Excalibur will stick around for a good while, the founders are all fairly committed so as long as we're around we should be good. I'm also part of another hero team that was supposed to debut after 'Uplifting the Veil' (incidentally that team is the reason I came back), but KOV came along and that RPG has stalled and the excitement about our debut has died down :/ and I'm also working with some people right now to try and set up a True Blue team, the Avengers/Justice League group that this place sorely needs. Just hope I can keep up with all this in September when next term starts xD

#69 Posted by .Ajax. (2480 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (11966 posts) - - Show Bio

I would call myself a hero or a knight to say at least.

#71 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

@_ajax_: I've been back for like a month, where have you been? ;)

What you been up to RPG wise, you got a team?

#73 Posted by .Ajax. (2480 posts) - - Show Bio

@_eclipse_: I was going strong on here for a good while and then I went on hiatus for about 2 months. The intersession semester at school, plus working part time and training for kickboxing was keeping me rather busy and didn't allow much time for the Vine! Went and seen Man Of Steel and decided and I needed to come back!

RPG wise I haven't been at anything lately as I've only been back about a week or so. No team yet, but I'm considering making one!

#74 Posted by Mercy_ (92431 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure there are.

Whether people admit/realize it, about 90% of the people on this board will approach an IC interaction differently depending on what color the bar of the other character is.

Speaking as somebody who's played all three alignments on one character (Cassidy, although the blue was incredibly short lived), I was approached with different mannerisms IC depending on what color I was sporting.

#75 Edited by Fukuro_Zoku (4694 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

Sure there are.

Whether people admit/realize it, about 90% of the people on this board will approach an IC interaction differently depending on what color the bar of the other character is.

Speaking as somebody who's played all three alignments on one character (Cassidy, although the blue was incredibly short lived), I was approached with different mannerisms IC depending on what color I was sporting.

I try to be good about not doing that.

#76 Edited by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: I was mostly talking about pre-COP times and my early experience as a villain. I think my first villain account, Madros, was one of my least used accounts and yet he joined like 3/4 different teams, each of which died after the first RPG.

Though I completely understand your criticism. At the time, on the inside, it was great. I was on a team with a bunch of people I was friends with, and whose writing I really enjoyed. And, for me personally, COP was also my most active period, I was also RPing with people outside the team, particpated in open RPGs like WWW, even started up my own open RPG with Umbra and Daywing. I didn't notice any segregation then, but in retrospect, looking back? Yeah, we were fairly open about letting people onto the team, but for the people who didn't want into our clubhouse? We were pretty exclusive and didn't play with anyone else. It was partly because of the huge roster, it made any RPG difficult to coordinate and allowing other people into our story would just cause chaos. I regret the way we handled it and the damage it did to the community. The ideas behind COP, of having unity between the hero teams, were good. But we probably should have given each sub-team more independence.

And my comments about "Gambler's team-of-the-week" were meant in jest, you're far from the only culprit of that, just the most prominent one :P and honestly, the way you always got people excited about every team you created always impressed me. I'm not sure you've ever had a team idea that wasn't totally badass, lol

EDIT: All that typing and you delete your comment, gah! xD

#77 Posted by Charlemagne (6969 posts) - - Show Bio

@_eclipse_: I had a feeling you were off writing a long response lol. I deleted my response cause I was afraid it would come across as antagonistic but I'm glad you didnt take it as such. Also wasnt offended about the Gambler team of the week thing I knew what you were going for ;)

#78 Posted by Thirteen13 (415 posts) - - Show Bio

@thirteen13 said:

@armistice said:

Being a villain is fun, but it is also the easy route as you have no restrictions.

I agree with this playing a villain seems much more fun and unrestricted, however, I think it is much more difficult to come up with a legitimate/original/interesting background for a villain type rather than being a villain for the sake of it.

It really depends on how extreme you are towards one side or the other (hero or villain) IMO, the farther you are in one direction the smaller the box you put yourself in with regards to options. There are many options to still humanize and sympathize with a villain as long as yo remember they are still a person and not just a mindless monster.

No one would know it by my choice of characters on here but at least 3/4 of my RPG career was playing villains of various types and degrees. Never had an issue differentiating or fleshing them out myself. I lean towards the good side here simply as a change of pace.

On the matter of a villain still being a person first and foremost instead of just an malevolent and evil being I definitely concur with as I've tried to make villain type characters human albeit deeply flawed and somewhat sympathetic, or at least they would be if I bothered to include even a short history for them.

#79 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: Haha, it seemd a little antagonistic, yeah, but I'm not a kid anymore, I'm 21 freaking years old and I'm done wasting my time getting offended by/starting arguments with people on the internet. Wasted too many years being angry with Slight for no reason last time I was here, not gonna make that mistake again :P

@_ajax_: Haha, nice one :) I'm still at university, but CPG dragged me back and now I'm addicted again xD

Hmm, might have a proposition for you, so don't rush into creating a team... ;)

#80 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! 50/50 split. I'm shocked. I'll be a hero. My conscience would eat me alive if I were a villain. But then again I would still kill people to save others, if I really must.

#81 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

@_eclipse_:

21?

you are still a kid

@armistice said:
@thirteen13 said:

@armistice said:

On the matter of a villain still being a person first and foremost instead of just an malevolent and evil being I definitely concur with as I've tried to make villain type characters human albeit deeply flawed and somewhat sympathetic, or at least they would be if I bothered to include even a short history for them.

All of the best villains still had some kind of honor or code, even if it was a twisted one. You could see not only how they became what they are, but a glimmer (no matter how small) of what they could have been as a hero.

(such as Magneto)

#82 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio
#83 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18818 posts) - - Show Bio

58 percent say villains, but I fail to see any lol

That is what I thought when I saw the results. LOL

#84 Posted by 614azrael (10304 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer an evil or a neutral. Rarely can I have fun with a hero unless theres some kind of twist

#85 Posted by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

@strongarm:

No, you're a liddle beaw

d^O^b

Hero bear, just like Vostok the russian bear

#86 Edited by Tank. (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil: You need to get back into ToR ;)

lol

Thanks for the kind words though.

#87 Posted by Mercy_ (92431 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_: HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

#88 Posted by _Braveheart_ (1457 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be an Anti-hero.

#89 Posted by Tranquil (3346 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_: lol I would, but damn that download is going to take forever. What happened? Last time we spoke your were making a comeback, next thing I know you and Psy packed up and shipped out. xD

#90 Posted by Tank. (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil: You're missing out. xD

Comeback? Short lived. You know me, I am far too opinionated.

@mercy_: Howdy, howdy :)

-hugs-

#91 Posted by Tank. (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gi_joe_: Question. Do you know what the G and the I stand for?

#92 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_ said:

@tranquil: You're missing out. xD

Comeback? Short lived. You know me, I am far too opinionated.

@mercy_: Howdy, howdy :)

-hugs-

That's right, always the troublemaker, starting debates and dragging them on...

How you been?

#93 Posted by Tranquil (3346 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_: On what exactly? If I did you gotta make a new toon to lvl with me. And does F2P still suck? xD

That, and this place lost it. Hence why all the nostalgic threads. lol

#94 Edited by Tank. (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

@tranquil: F2p still sucks, but preferred status is a little better. If you've paid for even one month before you will be preferred instead. Which has a few more open choices.

I have two Imps sitting at level 1 still. I can always make another Pub to play as well. Up to 6 characters that are level 55.

@armistice: Trouble should be my middle name. Maker my last. Now I just need a first name.. Hmm

Good to see you man. Been holding down the fort? Keeping these youngsters honest? lol

#95 Posted by RamJam (974 posts) - - Show Bio

For Quickster, so far it's been hero all the way! But he hasn't really yet explored Markus' villain-ability except vaguely.

#96 Posted by superstay (9647 posts) - - Show Bio
#97 Posted by Tank. (2063 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Posted by Tranquil (3346 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_: Mmmmm fine, I'll redownload it tomorrow. And if the level cap has been raised does that mean the storylines have been extended?

#99 Edited by Mercy_ (92431 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_: I miss you <3 We need to talk more.

#100 Posted by Armistice (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

@tank_ said:

@armistice: Trouble should be my middle name. Maker my last. Now I just need a first name.. Hmm

Good to see you man. Been holding down the fort? Keeping these youngsters honest? lol

Andy Trouble Maker has a nice ring to it

Like you I have chosen retirement from active duty again (about a month ago). I just come here to harass Mercy, give critiques when requested, and the usual debate and smack talk.