Do you prefer being a hero or villain?

• 142 results
mikehly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Do you prefer being a hero or villain? (48 votes)

Hero 56%
Villain 44%
 • 
mikehly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I'm a hero that will kill to make sure innocents don't die so am I really a hero?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

mikehly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Being a villain is fun, but it is also the easy route as you have no restrictions.

Always a fan of the neutral because playing within the grey allows you the most directions to take a character.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Joygirl

Chaotic Neutral anti-villain.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mmmmm probably villain who plays hero sometimes... But mostly bad guy

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hero, since everything is so serious today its easier to play at a silver age vibe

The_Golden_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well personally evil out of those options. Going in more depth an anti villain or a protagonist who is evil. This gives you freedom to do things that aren't acceptable in society, but still have the humanity aspect to play with.

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neutrality. Like others say it's fun to do what you wish with that aspect of humanity. I don't think no one really writes the stereotypical hero or villain anymore, unless they're really lazy.

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any of the three/nine is fine for me. I can make any of them fun for myself.

Nightcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always liked the idea of a villain with strong good morals, showing even evil has its standards.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CainPanell

Cain's chaotic neutral but sometimes also neutral evil. I just prefer to write the Antagonist really

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

hero only really wrote grey ok and the little villain stuff i have done isnt that solid.

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hero here

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have a hard time getting into the mindset of a villain. Since I'm naturally a goody-two-shoes, it's easier for me to play a hero or good-neutral.

But shoot, their are so little heroes, I feel like an outcast.

d^_^b

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maestro_

You know what. Do we actually have a TRUE Hero? I can't name one true hero on the Vine. lmfao

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Strongarm

@xenon_: gonna make a true hero hamster soon

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_: since everyone is so serious with mercs and demons, might as well make something light and fun

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

58 percent say villains, but I fail to see any lol

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_ said:

You know what. Do we actually have a TRUE Hero? I can't name one true hero on the Vine. lmfao

True Blue is my middle name(s), son.

In answer to the question, I've always found the mindset of a hero far more interesting than anything else. The Vine has always been heavy on the grey, most people enjoy writing a neutral because it allows them to take the character in pretty much whatever direction they like, I can understand that having written as Hesperus for a while too.

But still, I think that heroes are the most interesting characters of all. Neutrals and villains tend to be built around the concept of self-preservation, which is totally natural and evolutionary and sensible. The hero dedicates himself to selfless acts and risks their life on a daily basis, which is unnatural and suicidal and crazy. I've never found heroes easierto write, but when a writer really gets into their character's head and figures out why, of all things, their character wants to be a hero... that's what really captures my attention.

Back in Prime I had an easy answer for why Eclipse was a hero: he was destined to die, self-preservation was out of the question. So his motivation was easy to build out of that. Now, here in the NU, he has no such destiny, so it's a lot more challenging to figure out why this guy is a hero.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@_eclipse_:

I see. Interesting. With my Anthony Stark, I had a good spin on his "hero" status and it was fun delving into how his life was, I done blogs about it almost daily lol.

I just re-modded Pyro and you can count him as a true Hero now. Time to*cracks knuckles* initiate some fun writing with Pyro :P

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Nice :)

And also, I kinda agree that there isn't really an established 'true' hero around here. I guess because the New universe is still young, and in Prime when most of us arrived there were a lot of established heroes to draw inspiration from, Andferne, LstPaladin, Kurrent, etc. Here, we don't have that. But the thing is, when you see a gap like that, a free spot at the top of the pyramid where the title of 'Vine's greatest hero' awaits, you should reach out and try and fill that void yourself. You gotta dedicate yourself to being a great hero, to rallying other heroes around you, and more importantly you need to not retcon that character when you get bored with him ;P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_eclipse_: It's true. I tried to fill the gap with Stark, but ended up committing genocide. >.> Shiit.

Luckily, I have personally never RPGed on Pyrogram with a dedicated character so I don't think I will get bored of this guy...hopefully not anyways. lmfao.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Haha, yup, I noticed xP

I think you need to find a character that works for you and really invest yourself in him. It's just retcons that bug me, man, haha... I mean if you get bored with your character there is a lot you can do to spice it up without needing to throw the whole concept out the window :P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pyrogram

@_eclipse_: It was superbly fun though. And Stark is still a Hero. Sorta.

Xenon is that character for me now. Pyro is just an enigma lol But. I think I will enjoy this new look.

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_ said:

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maestro_

@amazingangel: Oh. Well, Does Angel not kill? I thought he did >_> Big in Japan is just a load of killing right? Maybe Angel can get depression 'cos of it lol

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_: I was totally a true hero before all the crap happened.

Of course, there's also accounting what different people consider a "true hero."

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arquitenens: You advocated child slavery, you cannot talk to me about being a hero :D

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Still a hero.

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Maestro_

@arquitenens: You have a funny definition of Hero, I thought they fought against things like Child Soldiers.

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_: Angel wouldn't kill any human but one of the ancient evil Firebrands that took his family........well I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fukuro_Zoku

Well, heroine.

@xenon_: There was no "advocating." You're pulling an Aunt Sally.

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thirteen13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Thirteen13

@armistice said:

Being a villain is fun, but it is also the easy route as you have no restrictions.

I agree with this playing a villain seems much more fun and unrestricted, however, I think it is much more difficult to come up with a legitimate/original/interesting background for a villain type rather than being a villain for the sake of it.

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_: Lady Liberty can explain it better than I, but in the classics, the Greeks and stuff, their definition of hero wasn't anything like "this person is a paragon of perfection who never does anything wrong or makes mistakes," or anything like that. You've got tragic heroes, and epic heroes, and they usually ended up, at some point, making a mistake or doing something wrong, often due to a lapse in judgment due to hubris (or in this case, pressure from Quintus and the godling, and the situation at hand). But what made them heroic was the doing of great deeds and overcoming powerful odds, courage and self-sacrifice.

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_strigidae_: Oh I see. Greeks and the hero stuff were pretty fun, and in some ways ( a lot ) had more depth than people like superman IMO. Tragic heroes are my fave also.

Oh, And I have a new nickname for myself on Pyro! - Paragon of perfection :P

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fukuro_Zoku

@xenon_: Liberty knows more about it than me, but I've got a somewhat grasp. One of the big influences when I made Olivier's backstory (probably because it was also heavy in the inspirations of sources I was drawing from).

Actually, I think we assigned that one to a Gambler or Impero alt already. There was "the Pinnacle of Perfection," and "Paragon of Perfection."

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_strigidae_: Considering Greek Myths and Legends are something which I have studied stupidly too much, I understand.

Paragon of Power as somebody suggested to me earlier then! xD

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_strigidae_: Well back in those days, 'hero' was pretty much just their word for 'protagonist'. Though I think it's important to remember that most characters, whether they are a hero or villain, think of themselves as the 'hero' in that sense of the word. Everyone's a hero in their own way :P

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By -Eclipse-
Loading Video...

Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenon_ said:

In answer to the question, I've always found the mindset of a hero far more interesting than anything else. The Vine has always been heavy on the grey, most people enjoy writing a neutral because it allows them to take the character in pretty much whatever direction they like, I can understand that having written as Hesperus for a while too.

But still, I think that heroes are the most interesting characters of all. Neutrals and villains tend to be built around the concept of self-preservation, which is totally natural and evolutionary and sensible. The hero dedicates himself to selfless acts and risks their life on a daily basis, which is unnatural and suicidal and crazy. I've never found heroes easierto write, but when a writer really gets into their character's head and figures out why, of all things, their character wants to be a hero... that's what really captures my attention.

Back in Prime I had an easy answer for why Eclipse was a hero: he was destined to die, self-preservation was out of the question. So his motivation was easy to build out of that. Now, here in the NU, he has no such destiny, so it's a lot more challenging to figure out why this guy is a hero.

Yeah I was gonna say you're probably the truest blue around.

Bogeyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neutrals and Byronic Heroes.