CVnU RPG Rules Discussion Thread

CVnU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, guys. As the title indicates, this is a thread to discuss the CVnU RPG rules.

These rules are set in place to benefit the entirety of the RPG board and every now and then, we take a look at them and decide what is working, what is not, and what could be tweaked to better benefit the board.

So this thread is where you sound off on what you're a fan of, what you hate, how you think already established rules could be changed to better suit the board. This is also where you can throw down ideas for new rules, should you have any.

As always, please actually add constructive criticism. Should you decide to criticize rules, please provide an alternative. Just saying that you think the empire creation rules are dumb as sh!t does nothing to help anybody.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Strongarm

empire rules seem to be fine

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I've had no real conflicts with the rules.

Grumpy_Cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They all suck.
They all suck.

Avatar image for orlok_tharidizun_the_destroyer
Orlok_Tharidizun_the_Destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Legacy_

I'd appreciate an ego vaccination if it weren't too much to ask for =P

Avatar image for orlok_tharidizun_the_destroyer
Orlok_Tharidizun_the_Destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@grumpy_cat: don't you have a movie you're supposed to be prepping for?

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question, is there a rule about using a move you know will kill the other,

For example if a blood lust Flash attacked an unarmed Frank Castle. We all know Frank is dead no matter what he does, so are moves like this excepted or frowned upon?

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@referee: Generally if someone throws a character that is going to be horriterrigoremurdered by the other before they can blink and the other guy isn't holding back, it typically means that they kind of want the character to get horriterrigoremurdered.

Cara_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: Make sense, I just remember hanging out at Wildcat's gym and my opponent posted he, as a Vampire, clouded my mind then flashed at me with razor sharp claws striking at my jugular. If I didn't have immunity to the attack I would be dead.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

They seemed to be okay for me at least.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@referee: Remember to use the power of plot shields if you do get in a fight that's way out of your league. Realistically if @klaudius_von_sturmheiser was bloodlusted and attacked @pyrogram Klaudius would put his fist through Pyro's brain before he could blink, but I'd trust Pyro to come up with a plan to save his ass and sell to it if he made no indication of wanting Pyro to get horriterrigoremurdered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaebccd120
deactivated-5a4aaebccd120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need a system implemented for user who can be trusted to not have to ask the CoE for permission on every single thing in the rules. A group of people with a track record of being respectable to the open canon.

Avatar image for klaudius_von_sturmheiser
Klaudius_Von_Sturmheiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said before, I've never really had any rules conflicts.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

Tranquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_ said:

We need a system implemented for user who can be trusted to not have to ask the CoE for permission on every single thing in the rules. A group of people with a track record of being respectable to the open canon.

Exceptions make the rule unnecessary.

@referee: Generally if someone throws a character that is going to be horriterrigoremurdered by the other before they can blink and the other guy isn't holding back, it typically means that they kind of want the character to get horriterrigoremurdered.

Depends who you are fighting. Most of the time, a kill shot won't be sold as such so I tend not to go for them.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@referee: Remember to use the power of plot shields if you do get in a fight that's way out of your league. Realistically if @klaudius_von_sturmheiser was bloodlusted and attacked @pyrogram Klaudius would put his fist through Pyro's brain before he could blink, but I'd trust Pyro to come up with a plan to save his ass and sell to it if he made no indication of wanting Pyro to get horriterrigoremurdered.

In other words it's just common sense. So should there be a rule about it?

Tranquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing, I dislike the idea of waging war for territory. It encourages battles for the sake of battling, which usually does not bode well for the story aspect of an rpg simply because of all the egos around here. The option for battle over a territory should be left to the user who wishes to gain the territory and should only have to make a thread for simple approval.

Avatar image for klaudius_von_sturmheiser
Klaudius_Von_Sturmheiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: No reason, just wanted to post this.

No Caption Provided

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tranquil said:

Another thing, I dislike the idea of waging war for territory. It encourages battles for the sake of battling, which usually does not bode well for the story aspect of an rpg simply because of all the egos around here. The option for battle over a territory should be left to the user who wishes to gain the territory and should only have to make a thread for simple approval.

Are you saying you cannot gain territory without fighting? Like a trade or...? For example say Tranquil wanted...Cambodia, you'd make a thread asking for approval? Is that not the same, as if somebody wanted to contest they could still contest?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tranquil said:

@_animus_ said:

Exceptions make the rule unnecessary.

Not at all. The rules are in place to stop,straight up,

selfish assholes from ruining whole continents or changing historic events for their own short term agenda.

There are people who have history of enough time here to prove they can be trusted to not disrespect the canon. That's the whole point for the rules when it's boiled down. They shouldn't be blanketed on everybody.

Tranquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: No its not, because if somebody wants to contest and I don't want to battle a bunch of users just to move on to the next part of my story then why should I? Often times the people who contest had no interest in the location in the first place. War should only be waged on existing empires or if the user wishes to do so. It shouldn't be a requirement.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_: I like where you are going, but to a new user this would only propagate the "inner circle" feel many new users have, and make them less motivated feeling some people are deemed special things or exemptions.

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_ said:

Anymore room on this bus?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pyrogram

@tranquil: I understand you 100% dude. Maybe we could have temporary "holdings" of country to help fulfill an event (short-term or planned stuff), and once this is done you lose the right to the country or whatever? Options options...And then in contrast running parallel we have the standard empire rules for people who want to OWN a country.

Tranquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tranquil

@_animus_: What Pyro said and there are users with history who would do exactly what you said shouldn't happen.

Rahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: There is no inner circle, or new users, or anyone, there is only me and my sock puppet accounts.

ThePuzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ThePuzzler

@_animus_ said:

*Squeezes in*

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pyrogram

@rahn: I've had two new people this week ask me about the inner circle. New users DO think it exists. And I constantly say no, but they do. And you're being sarcastic >.>

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: But everyone is one of my alts.

I'm a lonely girl.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@_animus_: I like where you are going, but to a new user this would only propagate the "inner circle" feel many new users have, and make them less motivated feeling some people are deemed special things or exemptions.

@tranquil said:

@_animus_: What Pyro said and there are users with history who would do exactly what you said shouldn't happen.

Animus and I discussed this in PM, he brought the idea up to me yesterday and he had a counter argument for every concern that I brought up regarding this system.

I'd be in support of working a system that allowed certain users who have proved over time that they have A. obeyed the CVnU rules, B. know what the hell they are doing and C. have earned the trust of the COE to go forth without as much oversight.

There would have to be guidelines and rules set up to determine who would be eligible (and of course people are going to cry favorite, but as pointed out to me, if we can show you the points and whether or not you hit them, that shouldn't be an issue), but this is a system that has potential and would perhaps lessen feelings of animosity towards the COE while simultaneously allowing people more creative freedom.

which is what this place is really all about. COE isn't here to stifle things, it's here to try and help them run more smoothly and sometimes we (I) need to be reminded of that little fact.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tranquil said:

No its not, because if somebody wants to contest and I don't want to battle a bunch of users just to move on to the next part of my story then why should I?

Cause when "your" story (in the case of grabbing land) effects "other peoples" story without them having a chance to participate its a problem. Say you want to take over a place somebody elses character originated from, but you dont feel like the hassle of a fight so you just move your story forward and F that dude lol. Now you've created a situation in which that character either bitches, ignores your canon and by extension creates an alternate one, or attacks you anyway. Sounds like loads of fun.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pyrogram

@mercy_: Maybe it would speed up the vine greatly. Maybe it will be a horrible failure and make loads of new users feel exempt or out of the invisible circle. You never know unless you try...and if it fails, I think we could also remove the rule afterwards.

Better to try than have never tried at all I guess.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pyrogram

@tranquil said:

No its not, because if somebody wants to contest and I don't want to battle a bunch of users just to move on to the next part of my story then why should I?

ignores your canon

If that crap starts happening on a mass scale you can say bye bye to all major continuity events lol

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@the_last_arashikage said:

@tranquil said:

ignores your canon

If that crap starts happening on a mass scale you can say bye bye to all major continuity events lol

Honestly surprised it hasnt happened already ;p

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@mercy_: Maybe it would speed up the vine greatly. Maybe it will be a horrible failure and make loads of new users feel exempt or out of the invisible circle. You never know unless you try...and if it fails, I think we could also remove the rule afterwards.

Exactly.

And those first two sentences are what people said about the CVnU as a whole and look where it is ;)

Tranquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tranquil

@the_last_arashikage: Which is the purpose of a discussion thread, to recognize conflicts such as that. But what happens when I want to go for an entirely new idea that no one elses canon connects with? And I don't want to lose interest in the idea by having an unnecessary battle which I can't afford to lose unless I'm willing to give up on the idea entirely? I'm either forced into an rpg I didn't want or I quit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

Whether it happened or not they'd get an inner circle feel. Because that inner circle vibe comes from vets having a type of rapport with one another that the newer users won't have until they put in time and work here.

It's that same rapport and understanding that garners trust over a long period of time as well as written proof of their abilities to respect the canon. It has nothing to do with leaving others out. Would you pay a manager the same as a new employee? Nah, same concept

@tranquil said:

How do you figure? The whole point is to only accept people who would not do it. Provided they go through a trial run where the given trust is tested. I'm talking about working out a whole system for this so it's accepted by the majority, it would also work as an incentive to people who fall short of meeting the requirements to be given the amnesty. A goal to reach.

At least with this if people feel outsided they have an in the face way of what needs to be done to be included in the circle. Where as when it's just social circles they mope and whine about inner circles they can't get into lol

@the_last_arashikage said:

@_animus_ said:

*Squeezes in*

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pyrogram

@mercy_: A jumbled mess with a racist agenda against Venezuela! joking joking, I know what you're saying :P

Tranquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tranquil

@_animus_: I don't like the idea of exceptions but I won't/can't stand in your way.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pyrogram

@_animus_: I'm for it. It may work it may not. Only one way to find out. Do the damn thing.

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tranquil said:

@the_last_arashikage: Which is the purpose of a discussion thread, to recognize conflicts such as that. But what happens when I want to go for an entirely new idea that no one elses canon connects with?

You said you wanted territory, whats the "new idea?" There are only oh so many ways to snatch land. I get what you're saying. Sometimes the badguy is just tricky enough to manipulate his way into power,land,etc, without a big war. And I would be all for that in the hands of a trusted user who I knew could handle the responsibility of such a move.

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: There is ALOT of stuff centered around venezuela, though.... I wonder who started that all up. Somebody trying to create a unique origin, they get really big, venezuela catches on, and now, aside from america, it's the most popular country in the CVnU

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gumflabica: Sha started it with a massive takeover (she had it for agges I think) than I carried it over with Anthony Stark and Xenon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@pyrogram said:

Exactly.

And those first two sentences are what people said about the CVnU as a whole and look where it is ;)

lol bueno bueno

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_: Like I said, you tore down every counter I had and built yourself a damn strong case.

Kudos.