• 138 results
#51 Posted by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all my active alts, I only have one blue. This is what is wrong with the Vine. xP

#52 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all my active alts, I only have one blue. This is what is wrong with the Vine. xP

I've got the same exact number of blues ;-)

But to be fair if people had fun playing blues.. they would play blues.

#53 Posted by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

@kratesis: Hm... how to make being a blue fun... Must think on this...

#54 Posted by Lumen_ (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@kratesis said:

@the_psyentist said:

I've got the same exact number of blues ;-)

But to be fair if people had fun playing blues.. they would play blues.

Exactly blues are...very restricting there's less ways to allow them to grow I guess.

#55 Edited by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist: If you figure it out let me know, would be interested to see what you think.

#56 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio
#57 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@lumen_:Depends on the Blue

I write predominantly blue so i'am used to it just have to think around things alittle more

#58 Posted by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

@lumen_: What about a chaotic good character? Would that allow for a broader dynamic?

@andy_steven_summers: And very glad for that. :)

#59 Edited by TheUncanny (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought it would be fun to write a blue in a Suicide Squad kind of way. Where the character is probably at heart a red, but being forced by the government to be blue.

#60 Posted by Lumen_ (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist: Defiantly of all blues there the easiest in my mind to write, the most relatable I mean come on none us follow the rules all the time. But yes that would allow broader dynamic solely because their not restricted by certain rules!

@edwardwindsor: Yeah It defiantly does depend, In my mind Im more thinking along the lines of the true blue kind of character.

#61 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@lumen_: Eddy is true blue, only killed one guy far as he knows. Just make a character rule list of morals and stick to um EASY!

#62 Edited by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought it would be fun to write a blue in a Suicide Squad kind of way. Where the character is probably at heart a red, but being forced by the government to be blue.

Sounds cool.

#63 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

I wrote Liberty as a blue even when she wore the grey bar for entry into LoS. But I always wrote her as an act consequentialist. Was a LOT of fun.

#64 Edited by Lumen_ (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@edwardwindsor: See I find that so hard to do and props to you for being able to do it but even though I started with a hero character I've just abandoned the concept entirely. lol

#65 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@lumen_: Secret is simplicity man , its not hard if its simple

#66 Posted by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is possible to be grey and still a hero. The definitions of what is a hero gets a bit hazy.

#67 Posted by Lumen_ (266 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is possible to be grey and still a hero. The definitions of what is a hero gets a bit hazy.

Agreed!

@edwardwindsor: Yeah true allow sometimes complexity can really add to the fun of a character.

#68 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist: I use the word blue instead of hero because I'm not convinced heroes have anything to do with moral codes.

#69 Edited by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

I think someone just called Xandra a neutral. She really has been lately. (Then again, the main reason she has been on her best behaviour is to gain allies against the people who want her dead. xP) She can seem downright good at times with her psychiatric practice and the school... both places she is helping superpowered people overcome their problems and gain control over their abilities.

#70 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@lumen_: Complexity is the odd curve ball you can throw to make it a slightly darker blue.

@kratesis: I personally go for the Spiderman view of Morals make the man ( to a degree)

#71 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist: I've always viewed her as morally complex. She does have a code of ethics and it is a legitimate code in my opinion. Is she good or evil? Ehhh... I don't know lol.

@edwardwindsor: I think morals make the man.. morally! But they don't make him a hero anymore than they make him President, or an astronaut, or an Olympian.

#72 Posted by Lumen_ (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@edwardwindsor: Yeah that works too, I think I'll probably stick with grey's though!

#73 Edited by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio

@kratesis: She possibly has a code, but it is subjective as it is her own and not a societal code. I like complex. :D

#74 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@kratesis: I think they guide him because they are part of him. But desire and ambition are what essentially make him try to be a hero and enforce the morals.

@lumen_: understandable i cant and wont write Reds

#75 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_psyentist: Me too! She's a lot of fun to read. Speaking of which I should have Liberty come back by sometime.

@edwardwindsor: I do agree with your analysis of Parker. Seems spot on to me. I just meant that I don't believe that heroism and morality have anything in common.

For example I regard Prime Gambler as the greatest hero of the Vine.

#76 Posted by The Psyentist (17415 posts) - - Show Bio
#77 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@kratesis: I understand. To me they play a big part in heroes and villian's the more successful ones are just the more ambitious and outgoing. As for G for greatest hero , that's an interesting choice considering alot of what he did could be considered un-heroic. But he did some things that had positive outcomes.

#78 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

@edwardwindsor: I think that a lot of people associate heroism with morality or ethics. Personally I disagree with that. A person who possesses high standards of morality or ethics is a 'Moral Person' or a 'Ethical Person'. Not necessarily a hero.

A hero originally meant demigod. Someone whose deeds rise above those of others, and someone whose saga is remembered for ages. Heroic deeds, deeds of demigods, that makes a hero.

#79 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@kratesis: I think the reason why people make the connection is because of Greek Mythology (as you sort of mentioned) . All the heroes where demi-gods essentially. Most had periods of being extremely religious or extremely righteous people . These are the kind of people who are usually morally driven as they work for the god's or for causes such as Achilles fighting for the honor of his country.

#80 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@edwardwindsor: Could very well be.

However in the comics industry the term hero is generally used to refer to the protagonist. Generally morally good, exponentially capable, and a violent defender of the status quo. So over the years comics readers have begin to allow 'heroics' and 'X system of ethics' to mix.

But the result is now we LACK a word for heroics. Usually on the vine we say 'that was bad ass', or 'that was epic'. What we usually MEAN is 'that was heroic'. 'That was a deed that rises above the others'. 'You are a person who rises above their peers'.

But 'hero' has been hijacked by moralists ;-). So we say 'bad ass', a juvenile term that lessens the deeds associated with it.

#81 Edited by _Octavius_ (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Longshot. I still miss him.

#82 Posted by _Wolf_Spider_ (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and I'm here.

#83 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@_octavius_: Longshot was a real hero. I miss him too.

#84 Posted by Reaver_ (191 posts) - - Show Bio
#85 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: Its mainly due to the evolution of the words in culture Hero's commit heroic deeds. Villains commit un-heroic deeds its just how they are portrayed most often . As for terms i think people use bad ass, awesome etc because alot of the users of this site are from the generation in which those phrases where often used (80/90s kids).

#86 Posted by Armistice (4109 posts) - - Show Bio

Ethics and morality do have a part to play, but motivation and intention and actions IMO weigh far more heavily. It is a very complex mix of attributes that determine if a character is considered a Hero, Neutral, or Villain (in the broadest sense), and even nearly every individual is open to debate. One persons heroics can very well be taken as another persons tyranny, it's all very hard to explain in words, but far easier to understand by looking at their history as a whole.

As for Gambler being Prime's greatest hero? I am so uneducated on Prime history I would not even offer an opinion.

#87 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

Ethics and morality do have a part to play, but motivation and intention and actions IMO weigh far more heavily. It is a very complex mix of attributes that determine if a character is considered a Hero, Neutral, or Villain (in the broadest sense), and even nearly every individual is open to debate. One persons heroics can very well be taken as another persons tyranny, it's all very hard to explain in words, but far easier to understand by looking at their history as a whole.

As for Gambler being Prime's greatest hero? I am so uneducated on Prime history I would not even offer an opinion.

I see what you're saying. I just don't feel morality and heroics have anything to do with one another.

#88 Posted by DecayingRose (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: Meyel in TWD by end of season three for example could be labeled a hero and having been redeemed. His moral compass though if going by that wouldn't however title him as one. Its more the actions of person then the morality behind it(just my two cents and those that dont know the last two episodes of TWD might not totally get it)

#89 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@decayingrose: I haven't seen it yet, but I have read your spoiler in Thoughty Thoughts.

Hrm. Perhaps. He seemed the most 'heroic' of everyone until Michonne. But I hesitate to ascribe 'heroism' to anyone in the zombie genre, as genre conventions require most characters to be inept and zombies to be astoundingly effective.

Not saying no, only that its not a genre for heroes most of the time.

#90 Posted by Armistice (4109 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice said:

I see what you're saying. I just don't feel morality and heroics have anything to do with one another.

Agree or disagree, if that is the perception of the majority it is an aspect that plays a part, perception clouds reality. I personally am not really concerned with the correct use of terminology over intent.

#91 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@armistice: You feel that the common usage of a word is the most important factor in determining meaning.

#92 Posted by DecayingRose (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: lol was it an actual spoiler or one of my f ups where I forgot to use the spoiler

Perhaps its a bit out of place but i still feal the argument could be made. The efforts to soften the Governor forces and fact he knew it could very well be what it ended out being was very ultimant sacrifice style. The action being one that could be titled a heroes move, even though in personality he may have been a long shot from the 'moral expectations' of a hero

#93 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

@decayingrose: So what you're saying is he behaved altruistically and to you that's what 'hero' means?

#94 Posted by DecayingRose (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: in my opinion yes that counts as a key component of a hero

#95 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#96 Posted by DecayingRose (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@amaranth_strix: a soldier could be a total ass still would likely salute for putting self on the line for millions he doesnt know.

Morals are big in comic heroes but don't need to necesarily be actions speak louder and all that jargin

#97 Posted by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Posted by Tiferet (251 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it to ya! Well, I could try. Maybe. Maybe not and I suck. But hey!

Ooh, pretty!

#99 Edited by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny, I never enjoyed writing 'blues', but my main is one.

Although, I'm also really not a fan of lumping characters into labels through what color bar they wear.

#100 Edited by _Wolf_Spider_ (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well post it here too.

I'm thinking a heroic team. It would be anti-reg focused in the scheme of things, but it wouldn't work like the extremists. We'd try to do things more similar to what the Anti-Reg forces did in the comics, fight the registration act through changing the public's opinion of us. It would be a closely-knit group of heroes or crime fighters, so preferably a bit small (like, maximum six members). However, IC my character would make a less than profitable leader. IC, again.

Though the team would be anti-reg focused, we wouldn't just work in the U.S.- we'd want our deeds to be somewhat worldwide, and of course we'd respond to threats for more than just "gaining popularity". Were still heroes (or heroic neutrals) after all.