CVnU: Bringing in the Lantern Corps, a Discussion.

• 72 results
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

As one of the longest running viners, I think I can fairly safely say that the Vine's had quite the infatuation for the lantern mythology and the mythology behind it. The number of lantern based characters I've seen on the vine probably ranks in the several dozen and I believe that Hal and co have been emulated more so than any one hero or group of heroes in the vine's long and often rocky role playing career. We've had plenty of Light Wars featuring Larlfleeze expies, Glucknar, a version of Warsman I believe was based mostly on Bald Hyperion, and I'm probably missing a few more.

What we haven't had of course, was a consistent vision of what the lanterns were that wasn't basically a carbon copy of what DC gave us. I guess that can be forgiven to some extent, the Lantern Mythos is perhaps DC's best and most creative, still drawing a large and strong fanbase that at times seems distinct from the rest of DC itself. But what I think we should do is try to give this concept our own spin. We can still take the same basic ideas. The emotional spectrum plus black and white, maybe more colours if we're in the mood.

But what we should do is try to create our own spin on the mythos, keeping in mind that the Vine's nuCosmic scene, while still nascent and in it's relative infancy, is a place with ideas worth exploring further and integrating into this idea for lanterns to add to the space scene. Now I know we already have a lantern character @_avatar_ as well as @pyrogram (though he hasn't operated at full lantern capacity in more than a year), so I'd like for them to participate in formulating this mythos.

This discussion of course, won't just cover lanterns (or the Nova corps if that's more your thing), but the Vine's cosmic scene as a whole as any discussion of adding space police and other things is probably going to affect the space scene as a whole. Hopefully this will be another step into making the space scene a larger and more frequently used part of our shared universe.

So, shall we dispense with the finery and begin discussion?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'd happily help. It could be cool, and a mythos around the lanterns but a CVnU version is intriguing. Always wondered if we could do it without making it a carbon copy of the original.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think there's lanterns floating around as is. I remember LL saying her character has a green ring or smthin. But yeah, they seem scattered and mostly lone operators. If there's an active Corps (or expy) in the cvnu, I haven't heard of it. I think it'd be cool as hell to get a solidified vision of a lantern corps in motion though. What with the push for space and everything.

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would be down in helping out because we need a police for the galaxy.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I guess keeping secrets won't be exciting forever, so yeah I'm Avatar.

I tried to be as original as possible when I made that Avatar Sects blog, but it's really hard not to carbon copy something so great. Guess I felt like if I tried to remove/replace/add anything personal I'd ruin the formula, went the safer route. But I support this very much so.

The_Pest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Pest

I like the idea

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_zombie_: @pyrogram: @carlyle_zero:

Eh, I guess keeping secrets won't be exciting forever, so yeah I'm Avatar.

I tried to be as original as possible when I made that Avatar Sects blog, but it's really hard not to carbon copy something so great. Guess I felt like if I tried to remove/replace/add anything personal I'd ruin the formula, went the safer route. But I support this very much so.

(You still haven't replied to Chaotic impulse :P)

Right so first order of business obviously, is to determine their place in the setting given what we know of the space scene as shown in shadowmaster's excellent and useful wiki.

Do we want to keep the space police angle for some of the sects/corps or not?

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. Good luck!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@vrakmul: I feel like there should be at least some form of space police, yeah. If there's ever gonna be any space criminal characters/stories, there has to be law and cops for them to disobey.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: I'm sorry to say that I wanted to pull out of that; I thought I could jump back into the Avatar shoes, but I'm really not feeling him at the moment.

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By _Drake

Go ahead make them Lanterns. Wanted to see them back anyways lol

My Guardians of the Galaxy team better kick off soon too! >_>

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_zombie_: Right. Police and Peacekeepers, and if need be, a line of defense and an army against truly dire threats is what I think would be a good overall elevator pitch.

@big_and_bad: That's good enough for me.

Now I think that your sect idea is probably the one we should try and build on, since it's the most complete vision.

Now, any ideas you have before I start rattling things off the top of my head?

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Izaiah

There was this, before.

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been working on updating this character, for the use of CVnU space. I would like to help with discussion about the Lantern Corps, because I can think of a few solid ideas that would make it CVnU original. One idea, and probably the most obvious is to mesh DC with Marvel on the Cosmic level, and have the Green Lantern Corps tie in with a Green Infinity Gem, ect, ect, different colors. Their rings could be charged much in the same way as in DC, except with the added influence of the corresponding Infinity Gem being the Master Source. The Gems could be spread-out throughout the Galaxy, and each Gem could be charging a beacon device for the Lantern Corps of each color. This would also open a gateway for Villain characters to attempt to seize all of the power for themselves, by claiming the Gem stones. We could have an Infinity type war, mixed with elements from other Sci-Fi mythology based from DC, and elsewhere. Just my two cents, on the subject.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: I had some rudimentary ideas about locations but they are hardly fleshed out, so you can go ahead.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izaiah: Who among them is still active and contactable?

I have been working on updating this character, for the use of CVnU space. I would like to help with discussion about the Lantern Corps, because I can think of a few solid ideas that would make it CVnU original. One idea, and probably the most obvious is to mesh DC with Marvel on the Cosmic level, and have the Green Lantern Corps tie in with a Green Infinity Gem, ect, ect, different colors. Their rings could be charged much in the same way as in DC, except with the added influence of the corresponding Infinity Gem being the Master Source. The Gems could be spread-out throughout the Galaxy, and each Gem could be charging a beacon device for the Lantern Corps of each color. This would also open a gateway for Villain characters to attempt to seize all of the power for themselves, by claiming the Gem stones. We could have an Infinity type war, mixed with elements from other Sci-Fi mythology based from DC, and elsewhere. Just my two cents, on the subject.

Hmm, I actually like this. It certainly bumps up the lantern batteries in importance and we could tie in the gems' powers with the rings' emotional abilities.

@warsman : Is there a way we can reconcile the events of doom wars with this?

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: I think I've seen Azrael, Sha and DC recently, while Overkill hasn't been around in a long while...not sure about the others.

acer1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_hammer said:

This is an amazing idea! Also props for making a Ronan character.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: Most certainly.

Good, because I think that if we meld these ideas, we could get something substantially more original than prior attempts at bringing in the corps.

Pup_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great! Go with that!!

If I have the time I'd love to be apart of this :D

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: This is making me more and more interested now :S

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Carlyle_Zero

Well looks like I'm not needed any more.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carlyle_zero: Every idea is a good idea in the planning stages, go ahead.

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Carlyle_Zero

@big_and_bad: In the DC version each Lantern Corps has a avatar like Parallax for example.So what we should have something in that nature and put a twist on it.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_and_bad: Cool but how much would this tie in to earth overall ?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_and_bad: In the DC version each Lantern Corps has a avatar like Parallax for example.So what we should have something in that nature and put a twist on it.

Hmm, elaborate on what exactly you have in mind.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carlyle_zero: Probably only through the human Lanterns/Avatars/Things at first.

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: In the DC we have things like Parallax which is the avatar of an emotion .So what I was thinking is that when someone gets to an extreme of that emotion that avatar shows up via the ring for a sort amount of time.

Carlyle_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Each Corps could still have that with the Infinity Gem idea. The Parallax type character could be tied to the Master Source to such a strong degree that they could bare the Gemstone upon their very own Rings in times of great enough need. They could be the chosen ones of their respective Corps, so to say.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@carlyle_zero said:

Each Corps could still have that with the Infinity Gem idea. The Parallax type character could be tied to the Master Source to such a strong degree that they could bare the Gemstone upon their very own Rings in times of great enough need. They could be the chosen ones of their respective Corps, so to say.

That pretty solid idea.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carlyle_zero said:

I like this very much. (And not just for the bling of an Ion type figure with a gem in his ring)

It would also help make each of the avatars of their corps more unique power wise.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warsman said:

Well the gems were "destroyed" in Doomwar and I was wondering how we could reconcile it with Dark Hammer's idea as it's really something I'd like to see brought to life.

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul said:
@dark_hammer said:

@carlyle_zero said:

I like this very much. (And not just for the bling of an Ion type figure with a gem in his ring)

It would also help make each of the avatars of their corps more unique power wise.

Exactly... The Gemstone chooses the bearer, not the other way around. So it delves more so into its abilities because it is freely given. I figure other Lanterns could bear the Gemstone for a short time, but it would eventually overwhelm them... And in the case of a Villain claiming all of the Gemstones they would become Godlike, but would ultimately be overwhelmed. So it seems like a good idea, until it is actually attempted. Which leads to many possible story events. I also like the idea of having to use an object... A ring/ (a Hammer, wink, wink.) In order to even wield a Gemstones powers. Picking it up by hand ends very badly for anyone.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Big_and_Bad

This might make me get back in the Avatar mood.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul said:
@dark_hammer said:

@carlyle_zero said:

Exactly... The Gemstone chooses the bearer, not the other way around. So it delves more so into its abilities because it is freely given. I figure other Lanterns could bear the Gemstone for a short time, but it would eventually overwhelm them... And in the case of a Villain claiming all of the Gemstones they would become Godlike, but would ultimately be overwhelmed. So it seems like a good idea, until it is actually attempted. Which leads to many possible story events. I also like the idea of having to use an object... A ring/ (a Hammer, wink, wink.) In order to even wield a Gemstones powers. Picking it up by hand ends very badly for anyone.

We could also add some gems for the other colours. No need to constrain ourselves to what marvel has wrought.

I myself am fond of the fan concept of the grey lanterns, for apathy/neutrality.

Warsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Warsman

@vrakmul:

So...rewrite previously established canon?

Then Doomwar had no purpose, really.

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul said:

@dark_hammer said:
@vrakmul said:
@dark_hammer said:

@carlyle_zero said:

We could also add some gems for the other colours. No need to constrain ourselves to what marvel has wrought.

I myself am fond of the fan concept of the grey lanterns, for apathy/neutrality.

Oh for sure... We can have a plaid Gemstone for all that I care... (Spaceballs reference)

Grumpy_Cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Grumpy_Cat

@vrakmul said:

I would save your planet.. but it sucks.
I would save your planet.. but it sucks.

Big_and_Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: I imagined the Grey Lanterns representing balance between the Black and the White, not apathy and laziness... lol

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warsman said:

@vrakmul:

So...rewrite previously established canon?

Then Doomwar had no purpose, really.

A different set of Gems... Maybe? Weirder things have happened. Maybe these Gems were found in another Galaxy and brought to our Galaxy. Just spit-balling here. Besides these Gems are not exactly like The Infinity Gems, the are more like Emotion Gems.