Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Poll CV Awards Reboot? (36 votes)

Yes - I want to see these come back again! 75%
No - Keep them dead and buried! 25%

Can I get a roll call for those who would be interested (or not interested) in seeing a reboot of the CV of the Month Awards that I used to run? I've been loosely playing with the idea of bringing it back (I think it's a good motivator and a good way to get lesser known names out there for recognition, which is, in turn, a good motivator).

I'm just not sure that there are enough active users to warrant it. I'd probably do just a few categories this time around (maybe between 5-7) and would be open to suggestions for what those are.

If answering no (or yes, if you so choose), please give your reasoning as to why you feel this way.

• 
Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Initially yes.

But then....Things are fine now really?....I think awards (especially) since we have less active users and if everybody gets nominated but then we have 1-2 people left out...I think that will be a lesser motivator. If that makes sense? I'm not sure. The current activity will really mean it would be hard to do without making people feel singled out etc....Personally I think things are fine the way they are.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2 Icarusflies  Moderator

I'd say no, just because no matter how well it's run, people are going to feel left out and there WILL be drama.

Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zauberin  Moderator

A pros and cons list should be made!

Those were pretty good points, and we do already have the "who's the best at..." thread, and that's been pretty supportive and drama-free, so maybe we could handle it.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I'm half and half on this but it could be cool.

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Clara Mass

@mercy_: We should have nominees for each category, have a range, if you catch my drift (hopefully)

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. It's a good incentive to put out great stories

But I think there should be a self nomination before hand, where people who want to aim for a certain award put it down as their goal. Who the judges will be idk, guess it'll have to go by seniority. If anybody feels left out it'll be their own responsibility, nobody else to blame and complain about

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_

@mercy_: We should have nominees for each category, have a range, if you catch my drift (hopefully)

Not gonna do that, it'll take two weeks just to tally up voting. We'd have to have two or three rounds for each vote. It's the way that I ran the Year awards, but it's too time consuming for something I'd do every month.

@__zeus__ said:

Yes. It's a good incentive to put out great stories

But I think there should be a self nomination before hand, where people who want to aim for a certain award put it down as their goal. Who the judges will be idk, guess it'll have to go by seniority. If anybody feels left out it'll be their own responsibility, nobody else to blame and complain about

What do you mean by a self nomination? Like, I get the general concept of what you're saying, but how would you propose that's done? In the thread and somebody says 'hey, I want this, vote for me'?

There are no judges. Everybody puts down a vote and then it's tallied. I'll dig up a link to the old thread so that people can see how it was run in the past.

Avatar image for thisisgonnahurt
ThisIsGonnaHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was actually wondering when we were going to see something like this again :P

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By _Xander_Slade_

@mercy_: Just make the thread and announce that it's time to pick which category you want to be considered for, yourself, with no other nominators.

Ex: Let's say there was a category for best psychological writer. You put in the title rules that if I want to be considered for this I need to state it below (in thread). After words when the polls open you just put down the names you'll most likely edit into the first thread as options for that category. I put myself up to be chosen or not, I know the risks so it's my responsibility how I would handle my reaction to losing.

That way, we can avoid the obvious elephant that comes with stuff like this or the HoF, and that's favoritism.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__ said:

@mercy_: Just make the thread and announce that it's time to pick which category you want to be considered for, yourself, with no other nominators.

Ex: Let's say there was a category for best psychological writer. You put in the title rules that if I want to be considered for this I need to state it below (in thread). After words when the polls open you just put down the names you'll most likely edit into the first thread as options for that category. I put myself up to be chosen or not, I know the risks so it's my responsibility how I would handle my reaction to losing.

I personally don't like the idea of self nominations...

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__ said:

I personally don't like the idea of self nominations...

Why? It's not like it counts as a vote.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_

@__zeus__: Yeah, that's an idea that may work for the HOF thread, but I'm not running two/multiple threads for this. Pre-noms and then noms and all of that takes way too much time for something that I'm running every month and we've done fine in the years that it was run without that. I've always kept it all to one thread (although maybe branching into a different thread for each month would be a good idea).

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__: I just feel other people nomination is better....if you have to think of yourself as best in something and basically put yourself on the line for it...I just don't like the idea. Other people should decide what you are best at when it comes to awards.

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes what the hell. Yeah they're probably be some drama but the newer users should get to experience the process. Its nice to see your peers say cool sh!t about your writing.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_
Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zauberin  Moderator

@__zeus__: I just feel other people nomination is better....if you have to think of yourself as best in something and basically put yourself on the line for it...I just don't like the idea. Other people should decide what you are best at when it comes to awards.

In the HOF voting, people basically said to vote for yourself would be seen as egotistical. Even if it was justified, that was the way it came off. I didn't vote at all, so whatever, but that might be what he's thinking.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zauberin said:

@niccolo_machiavelli said:

In the HOF voting, people basically said to vote for yourself would be seen as egotistical. Even if it was justified, that was the way it came off. I didn't vote at all, so whatever, but that might be what he's thinking.

Voting for yourself is not just egotistical...but cheap. If you need to tell others you are the best, you are not the best...not when it comes to voting. The "what are you best at" thread is different, that is ASKING you to tell.

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@__zeus__: Yeah, that's an idea that may work for the HOF thread, but I'm not running two/multiple threads for this. Pre-noms and then noms and all of that takes way too much time for something that I'm running every month and we've done fine in the years that it was run without that. I've always kept it all to one thread (although maybe branching into a different thread for each month would be a good idea).

I'm just trying to help find the solution to make this fun fair and as drama free as possible. If you guys got offended by the idea, ( not sure why you would) wasn't my intention.

I figured there could be a main thread to edit in the new winners. You'd have to make a a new poll thread everytime anyway so why not.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__: Lol, nobody was offended! I just did not agree with that voting thing, nothing personal :)

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zauberin said:

Voting for yourself is not just egotistical...but cheap. If you need to tell others you are the best, you are not the best...not when it comes to voting. The "what are you best at" thread is different, that is ASKING you to tell.

I felt that way about myself when filling out personal statements for colleges and scholarships. Absolutely hated it.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schlampe: Yeah. Even worse when I had to write myself a reference as my boss is too lazy XD

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By _Xander_Slade_

@zauberin said:

I take pride in a story I'm confidant I wrote well and that I hit the target for as far as my aim of it's end. So yeah, when I work hard to and put out the effort, I'll think I deserve the right to be considered. When the community makes their votes then I'll know if it was a good story or not and be able to work at making myself better. S

I don't think something like this should be looked at from a friends perspective but a colleagues type POV. Adding in previous relationships brings in bias

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__: If you story was that good, somebody else would nominate it. Its awards for the distinguished, not for everybodys faves. But I do see your point, seriously it makes sense.

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By _Xander_Slade_

@niccolo_machiavelli: Nah, they wouldn't though. I'll be honest I don't go out of my way to be friends around here so if somebody was left to pick between a close friend who they talk to all day or me, which would they choose. But if my name is aready there, and their vote can't be traced, it's another story

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mercy_

Okay. There's a difference between voting yourself in for HOF (that is as exclusive as it gets) and saying that you think you deserve this award and would like people to vote you in in a monthly awards. hell, we've had people vote for themselves for the lighter categories (best av, funniest of the month etc) and it's never been an issue.

That being said, I don't think it's necessarily something that's necessary?

@__zeus__ said:

@mercy_ said:

I'm just trying to help find the solution to make this fun fair and as drama free as possible. If you guys got offended by the idea, ( not sure why you would) wasn't my intention.

I figured there could be a main thread to edit in the new winners. You'd have to make a a new poll thread everytime anyway so why not.

Yeah, different threads would work best, now that I think of it. But it's not done as polls (I would have to put every active persons name down for that to work).

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__: If you story was that good, somebody else would nominate it. Its awards for the distinguished, not for everybodys faves. But I do see your point, seriously it makes sense.

I see how this could go either way. Yeah, it could be seen as egotistical, but there could be times where there's a writer or some writers, and nobody else actually reads their stories or what they wrote, and maybe it's a way to say "hey, check this out and let me know if it's any good," even if they don't win. And even if they don't, it might be a great story and people might recognize it.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__: True....I see what you are saying. hmm.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schlampe said:

I see how this could go either way. Yeah, it could be seen as egotistical, but there could be times where there's a writer or some writers, and nobody else actually reads their stories or what they wrote, and maybe it's a way to say "hey, check this out and let me know if it's any good," even if they don't win. And even if they don't, it might be a great story and people might recognize it.

No no I get that. That was a good point lol, no arguing against that.

_Hawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always like the awards threads cause it's a way to shout out to the people who are doing well.

Ravenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravenna

Yes, of course

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_hawk_: you just like people to remember who you are on occasion

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Okay. There's a difference between voting yourself in for HOF (that is as exclusive as it gets) and saying that you think you deserve this award and would like people to vote you in in a monthly awards. hell, we've had people vote for themselves for the lighter categories (best av, funniest of the month etc) and it's never been an issue.

That being said, I don't think it's necessarily something that's necessary?

@__zeus__ said:

@mercy_ said:

Yeah, different threads would work best, now that I think of it. But it's not done as polls (I would have to put every active persons name down for that to work).

Ah. So my point is invalid lol Whatever works. I'll close out saying the only reason I suggested it was to avoid drama in the future.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@__zeus__: I got that, and appreciated it lol.

There's bound to be some either way :P

_Hawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By _Hawk_
_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By _Xander_Slade_

@mercy_: I like to be preemptive if I can :P

Your right though, no doubt. I was just trying to lower ego casualties lol

Ravenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenna

But seriously with awards going out every month everyone's bound to be included eventually.

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenna said:

But seriously with awards going out every month everyone's bound to be included eventually.

Point of the year award

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah. 17 people? Are we growing and I didn't know it?

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we're around 20 active. Give or take depending on the day. Once it starts getting up into the 25/30 range you know its time to call bullsh!t.

Zain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMFAO

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@schlampe: I though it was less then that but okay then.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@the_last_arashikage: I remember freaking out when that poll said there was almost a hundred users Lol.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will finally give me the chance to live up to that one best newcomer i won years ago so yeah i' am in.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, as long as it doesn't get crazy :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the limited number of active RPG'ers there are going to be a lot of repeat winners

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mercy_:

With the limited number of active RPG'ers there are going to be a lot of repeat winners

He does have a point.....and It'll be one of those thinks like..."I have won one in 24 weeks, this site is bogus.....I'm leaving". Starting a flame war, that'll eventually rip the 'RPG' forum in half before destroying the whole Vine. Then we'll all be on YouTube trolling vids and blogs because of our anger over that dude who was a sore loser.

But I'm a pacifist....so I voted yes

d^_^b....see you all on YouTube

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superstay:

I was actually kidding and harassing Mercy, have never put any thought or placed any importance on any of the awards or best at threads personally.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@armistice:

Who would.....It's a online award, solely for bragging rights (as well as notification)......But I'm a anti-gloater...so.......................

dU.Ub