Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio

I was pondering the other day about how ridiculous it is that I have two characters that speak French. I don't speak French. This made me wonder, should a character's abilities deviate much from a person's own abilities? Granted, things like super strength and energy projection are pretty convertible to the fictional world, but what about things like intelligence? 

I've noticed several profiles where people listed their character as having genius level intelligence. I wondered if this mean their character is literally a genius or if people just don't like having small numbers on their power grid. (Hey, I'm guilty. I sure want to be omnipotent!) But it seems that fictional intelligence has to be somewhat reflective of personal intelligence. You can have a genius character and not be a genius, but you have to be smart enough to make it believable. I'm sort of a grammar nazi, but I do try to keep my mouth shut. It just strikes me as rather ironic that a character who has a level 6 intellect is written with poor spelling and almost nonexistent grammar. I realize that even I make mistakes, but when I see posts like that... I have to facepalm. 

I'd say one solution to this is training. I know little to nothing about fighting, combat, cars, and weapons. So, I try to stay away from that (to an extent) sometimes. Maybe if I was taught a bit, I could learn. So, what I'm saying here is, there are some powers that are not people's fortes, maybe that should be taken into consideration when formulating characters, and help could be sought to create better writing and character development. 

And the roleplaying stories are why we're here, isn't it? :) 

(Please no one take serious offense. These are just some observations.) 

#1 Posted by Shanana (53447 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. I'll also admit that when i first started Sha was a "Genius", eventually i removed that from her bio because it didn't make any sense for her to be a genius; and I myself had a ninth grade reading level lol. IT's like when i see people who know nothing about Martial Arts, as masters of all forms of combat. SMH 

I support this!

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with most of your points. 

In my personal experience, I sometimes use character traits to teach myself things. 
By making King Mab speak Portuguese, I assumed I'd eventually learn some. 
By using Mnemosyne, I learned how to spell Mnemosyne. 
I assume eventually I'll learn how to spell  pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis without copy/pasting eventually. 

Portrait's taught me a lot about artists. 
.entropY htiw sdrawkcab etirw ot woh denrael I 

Fighting I basically just bluff my way through, relying heavily on suspension of disbelief and the like.

#3 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sha: Thanks, Sha. And I certainly understand the Martial Arts deal...
#4 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

I've ramped down basically all my stats with every new card. My original was ridiculous. I had like a seven in fighting ability and I think intelligence was a five or six. Two things that Cass has never actually demonstrated. 

I still need to work on my fighting scenes. I'm not anywhere near where I'd like to be with that writing ability. 

#5 Posted by cly (15458 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the intelligence, that it isn't for everyone, hence why my characters have two or three intelligence. :P

#6 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies: Hey, it works. Cool perspective. I suppose it is a very good learning arena. 

Heck, I've found it a good way to practice human emotions... since I fail in that department in RL... :P
#7 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist said:
"I wondered if this mean their character is literally a genius or if people just don't like having small numbers on their power grid. "
This was still the case long before we ever introduced the power grids to comic vine.

With that said however I do agree. Intelligence is one of the hardest 'powers' to fake. I've seen many self-proclaimed geniuses write posts that make me want to scratch out my eyes. Bust just like with all things. Do your research. You want to have a character that's an uber cool 133t martial artist. Read up on it, watch some movies, ask some questions. This goes with practically anything and everything.
#8 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Really? Well, I guess I haven't really seen much in the way of your fighting scenes, but you are a very convincing writer. I find myself drawn into your posts. 

@cly: And I respect you for that. ;)
#9 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree a lot.  I try not to go into anything that would be too far out of my league with Overkill.  After all, he's supposed to be the super me.  xD 

Mostly if he knows it I know it.  I consider him smarter than me though because when he knows something I have to look it up online to write him knowing it lol.  Some things I've learned would be that the average lightning bolt generates 500 million joules of energy, and that a certain combo that I did in light wars with Lazystudent had an ending force of over 66.5 million newtons of force.  (I also had to learn what a newton was and the formula for finding out force.) 

#10 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14833 posts) - - Show Bio

Well with Bob it's pretty easy, to write him accurately. I gave him practically all human abilities, no great combat training, no genius intellect, no abnormalities of any kind. He can be a little boring to write since I can;t have him do anything amazing, like crush a skyscraper or fly around the world, but it really makes me push myself as a writer to make him interesting, since he has no interesting features of his own.

#11 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:
" I've seen many self-proclaimed geniuses write posts that make me want to scratch out my eyes."  
 THIS. I agree with this sentiment. Hahaha. ;)
#12 Posted by Scion_of_Light (1824 posts) - - Show Bio

I support this as well!

since I usually put a lot of myself into a character I don't really end up with too many issues like this, but I can see why others could end up doing it. Sure I can't control light in RL, but the character Aaron has a lot of my talents, like knowing basic Latin and being at least (I like to believe anyway XD) kind of a nice guy. It's easier to write for a character in my opinion when you don't try to make them have so many crazy talents that you might not have a clue about.

Good work as always! :)

#13 Edited by Icarusflies (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

Solenoid has negative intelligence if that's at all possible. >_>

#14 Posted by Miss Menace (12166 posts) - - Show Bio

Old MM like me, was a hug addict :D

#15 Posted by cly (15458 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist: :D
@Icarusflies said:
" Solenoid has negative intelligence if that's at all possible. >_> "
As possible as me having a negative wiki point. :P
#16 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill said:
" (I also had to learn what a newton was and the formula for finding out force.) 
"
That's awesome! (<-- slight science geek) 

And yes, Dr. Alexandra Steele is CONSIDERABLY more intelligent than me. But I know quite a bit about psychology and how to work it into fiction to make it relatively believable, I think. 

@hydrabob: Bob's funny. But yes, without special abilities, it would seem difficult to make the character interesting. But I think you got this. ;) 

@Scion_of_Light: Thanks! 

@Icarusflies: Never heard of that before... :P
#17 Posted by Icarusflies (12512 posts) - - Show Bio
@cly: Yeah, how the heck did that happen? 

@The Psyentist: Well…it's Solenoid.
#18 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14833 posts) - - Show Bio
@cly said:
" @The Psyentist: :D
@Icarusflies said:
As possible as me having a negative wiki point. :P "
LMAO

@The Psyentist: ^_^ thank you, I try pretty hard to make Bob fun to read.
#19 Posted by cly (15458 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies: No idea at all. My guess is that one of the Staff decided to have fun one day lol. xD
#20 Edited by The Cramoisi Fleur (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice blog, but I'm going to respectfully go in a different direction. I dont believe your character(s) need to reflect your real life level of ability at all. Most everything you need to make a believable post reflective of your character's abilities can be found online using Google. Not trying to be conceded but I think I write a pretty good martial arts/combat scene, yet I dont know anything about it in real life. I like to think I make a believable politically corrupt character, but I dont pay attention to politics in real life nor am I intelligent enough to manipulate my cat let alone a World leader :P

Rpging (on this site anyway) is all about selling the other person/user despite their lack of actual knowledge. I encounter alot of people/characters who want to be depicted as a great fighter even though their post may not be that descriptive, or accurate, I'll take that and in my responses, I'll go into greater detail "for them." If a character is suppose to be a genius yet in their post they create a plan that a two year old could see coming I'll sell it anyway. In my opinion without our peers making us look good it doesn't matter what you know outside of your character. This is the great thing about rpging. Even though you may be lacking the knowledge to accurately potray an attribute, more then likely someone you are playing with will help put you over anyway and sell whatever it is you are trying to portray.

Thats my take anyway :P

#21 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies: Yeeeeeaaaahh... :P 

@cly said:
" @The Psyentist: :D
@Icarusflies said:
As possible as me having a negative wiki point. :P "
WHAT??????!!!!
#22 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist:
Lol yeah.  A lot of the fighting stuff I use from watching UFC and stuff I learned from my friend who is on the wrestling team and used to take formal classes in Tung Su Do and Hapkido.  The sword stuff is from my own experience of beating up my brother/friends with toy swords and some stuff I learned online of the swort art Ninten Ichi Ryu which is the style which was used and created by Miyamoto Mushashi, the greatest swordsman of Japan.  :D
#23 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Cramoisi Fleur said:
"my cat "
LoL you have a cat. XD
#25 Edited by The Cramoisi Fleur (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist:  lol thats why I take the stance of "just because you are a good rpger doesnt mean you are a good writer :P" My grammar sucks.
#26 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill: Note to self... watch wrestling. Hahaha. ;)
#27 Edited by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Cramoisi Fleur: Hehehe. Profound and quite true!... the point you made, I mean...
#28 Posted by The Cramoisi Fleur (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:
" @The Cramoisi Fleur said:
"my cat "
LoL you have a cat. XD "
:P it was a Christmas present from my ex. I got attached lmao
#29 Edited by Band Lone (1774 posts) - - Show Bio

Band Lone is suppose to have a good level of intellect and specially a great ability to memorize thing instantly. Also he was implanted with artificial intelligence. Basically he knew everything you could find on the internet about war, martial arts and people.  

Whenever I wrote for a characters and I made him a know it all I made sure that what I wrote was accurate which was a big pain in the ass when it came to a real historic event because I had to study the event in order to not mess up. (For example as Sammy I had to study the battle of Hattin for an RPG because Sammy was a huge brainy.)

Band was also suppose to be able to understand all languages at one point but he eventually forgot. Now he can just speak English and Spanish and understand a few things in Portuguese, French and Italian. (Which is basically what I can do in real life) However because I also have Japanese connections he also knows a bit of Japanese IN STORYLINE. 

But all that has changed because I got tired of him been a know it all.. In my new fan fic you can see how much of a know it all he was at the beginning. Band is still aware of a great deal of things but because of the things that have happened to him most of his artificial intelligence has been forgotten and replace by actual events and experiences of his life. Basically, Band is an old model.. Just a shadow of what he was before. 

If the person is dedicated they can make that super intelligence work.

#30 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Cramoisi Fleur said:
""just because you are a good rpger doesnt mean you are a good writer :P" My grammar sucks. "
Pfft. As if writers have good grammar. They send their stuff to get proof read most the time, and even then some still have mistakes. lol 
xP
But I do agree with that statement.
#31 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19638 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wondered this when I want to add things to my characters or when I read the person with genius level intellect. I did that in the beginning, but who was I kidding? I research the things I want to add to my characters that I'm not familiar with. I don't limit myself,  but I want it to be believable. 

#32 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist:
Not wrestling.  At least not the male soap opera stuff.  There's very little you can learn from that even though there are schools for it.  (I have friends who actually go to school for professional wrestling.  >.<)  If you watch olympic wrestling or mma you'll learn quite a bit.  Especially UFC cause Joe Rogan will happily repeat what every position and move is called and how to do it before throwing in a stupid line like "Sometimes you're the hammer and other times you get punched in the face."  xD
#33 Posted by cly (15458 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist: Yup. :D There are only the select few that have the honor of saying they have a negative point or negative points. Go to the bottom of this PAGE to see the users, and this last PAGE!
#34 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Band Lone said:
"Whenever I wrote for a characters and I made him a know it all I made sure that what I wrote was accurate which was a big pain in the ass when it came to a real historic event because I had to study the event in order to not mess up."
Hahaha. Good for you.
#35 Posted by The Cramoisi Fleur (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill said:
"  Especially UFC cause Joe Rogan will happily repeat what every position and move is called "
Sometimes he gets to caught up in the "Butterfly Guard" speech though. He's obsessed with it lol
#36 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Cramoisi Fleur:
Lol that and he loves calling everyone who gets a good shot in a master tactician and is in love with BJ Penn's flexibility. 
#37 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Mercury: I actually kept bumping up my character's intelligence because people who's characters WEREN'T smarter than mine (*cough*or me*cough*) were level 6. I sort of had to make my character a genius though... She's about twenty-eight and has a MD and a PhD. She'd have to do some serious cramming and skipping to get that to work and become a decent established psychiatrist. 

@Over_kill: *takes notes* 

@cly: That's INSANE!
#38 Posted by The Cramoisi Fleur (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill said:
" @The Cramoisi Fleur: Lol that and he loves calling everyone who gets a good shot in a master tactician and is in love with BJ Penn's flexibility.  "
Hahaha "Rubber Guard!" lol Rogan is cool though, I like his commentary and think its part of the UFC's appeal.
#39 Posted by cly (15458 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist: Sure is. :D
#40 Edited by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist said:

She's about twenty-eight and has a MD and a PhD. She'd have to do some serious cramming and skipping to get that to work and become a decent established psychiatrist. 

But all she does is psychiatry!!!  We had this discussion! 
#41 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill: Hm?
#42 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Cramoisi Fleur:
He really knows his stuff though.  Sure he says some weird stuff like my personal favorite "Sometimes you have to man up and put your balls in a wheelbarrow" but the man has a black belt in BJJ.  So what if he does shrooms?  lol. 
#43 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist:
How all of her hobbies and such revolve around psychology and the brain.  :P
#44 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill: No, I said she also enjoys studying metaphysics and genetics! Not the brain... but still geeky... :P
#45 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist:  There are also different types of intelligence. Book smart doesn't equal Tactical Genius or Combat Intelligence. Maybe thats why some characters were rated so high?
#46 Posted by Over_kill (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Psyentist:
Lol in my mind all she does is psychology in one form or another.  She's a dominatrix BECAUSE it helps some people mentally!
#47 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: Eh, yeah. Tactical, definitely. But I find some people misinterpret tactical intelligence.
#48 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill said:
" @The Cramoisi Fleur: He really knows his stuff though.  Sure he says some weird stuff like my personal favorite "Sometimes you have to man up and put your balls in a wheelbarrow" but the man has a black belt in BJJ.  So what if he does shrooms?  lol.  "
Oh I know he does. And he adds a nice blend of knowledge and comedic value. LOL @ Shrooms
#49 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Over_kill: HEHEHEHEHE. >:) 
#50 Posted by *Infinity* (602 posts) - - Show Bio

I support this 100% It makes perfect sense really