Award Presentation

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beremud

The press room was packed. Reporters from both print and TV news outlets sat shoulder-to-shoulder, unsure of what to expect. The generally reclusive head of the Alaric Foundation issued few public statements and gave even fewer public appearances, so when his press secretary announced that he was making an important statement in person, most media outlets took notice. The stage was flanked by several of the light infantry soldiers of the MRF, in full battle attire, with each door being guarded by two of the same. The building had been surrounded by an almost-invisible perimeter by officers of the Psy Ops division, as well as several special response teams assembled for this very occasion.

The scattered conversation ceased as Gunther Beremud approached the podium, replaced by the muffled clicking of cameras. Beremud, though usually counted among the world's elite, typically eschewed ostentatious displays of wealth, and this time was no different, as he appeared in one of his usual unremarkable, if well-fitting business suits. He adjusted the microphone, and took a moment to allow his gaze to sweep over the room, before speaking.

"Thank you all for joining me today, especially on such short notice. You all know me, so I'll dispense with introductions and get right to business. Both I and my foundation have spent a great deal of time and resources in addressing questions of our emerging metahuman population, and the role that it will play in society in the coming years. As I'm sure that you are all well-aware, the vast majority of this emergent population exercises restraint and responsibility in the use of their above-human abilities, with some even going so far as to dedicate their lives to protecting those who lack their remarkable powers."

He paused for a moment, loosening his tie, before continuing. "Unfortunately, we are all also well-aware that a small number of this population do not demonstrate such civic responsibility, using their abilities in a way that threatens others, ranging from interpersonal violence to acts that seek to undermine the very stability of the planet that we all live upon. Fortunately, there exist both individuals and organizations whose actions stymie these erstwhile villains, people who put their lives on the line so that innocent civilians can go about theirs without fear of oppression or destruction from forces beyond their scope."

"It is in recognition of these heroic entities that the Alaric Foundation has created the 'Defense of Humanity' award, to be granted to those individuals and organizations who bleed so that the rest of us do not have to. This award will be given out on a semi-regular basis, as the situation warrants, to those who strive to ensure that all of us, human and metahuman alike, can live our lives in peace and safety."

"Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I name, as the first recipient of this award, Mr. Jonathan F. Bold, CEO of Maverick Incorporated, for his organization's tireless and often thankless defense of a grateful world. The men and women of Maverick have been bastions of defense for the stability of our planet, often sacrificing their very lives to send a clear message to would-be warlords, crime kingpins, and even threats from beyond our planet that this world is not theirs for the taking. It is on behalf of all of humanity that I say thank you, to Mr. Bold and every individual in his employ. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed, nor your sacrifices un-honored."

"Thank you all for your time, attendance, and attention. I will take a few questions, now."

@maverick_6

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@beremud:

It was rather ironic what the corporation had become. Originally, it was something an obscure company, not very much meant to be well known to the public in general, let alone appraised. And yet, here they were, receiving an award for what they'd become. For what, in essence, Dox had turned them into. A public, multi-national private military corporation that can and indeed, obligated to, serve the public. Revenue did indeed increased as did their budget, and how much they made. Indeed, they were one of the most prominent and the most active private military corporation around, who did their best to preserve infrastructure, making hundreds of billions of dollars in a single year as a now, public entity that served the public.

Serving the "public" was indeed what they had intended themselves to do, but from the shadows, rather than in the eyes of the public who held them to such claim and yet, hardly realized likely that they indeed were the ones who could build them up, and both tear them down faster than most metahumans could attempt. This indeed, was one of the reasons Maverick so highly valued their personal reputation and such a reliance on it and their reception was "mixed" to say the least. People liked them but it was not without criticism, many insisting that Maverick attracts too much attention in Denver, and that they should move. That they were bound to be attacked again. Much consideration had gone into considering their next move.

For now, it was time to accept an award.

"Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I name, as the first recipient of this award, Mr. Jonathan F. Bold, CEO of Maverick Incorporated, for his organization's tireless and often thankless defense of a grateful world. The men and women of Maverick have been bastions of defense for the stability of our planet, often sacrificing their very lives to send a clear message to would-be warlords, crime kingpins, and even threats from beyond our planet that this world is not theirs for the taking. It is on behalf of all of humanity that I say thank you, to Mr. Bold and every individual in his employ. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed, nor your sacrifices un-honored."

Bold strolled onto the stage, his air convivial as he briefly waved towards the crowd, and smiled a rather genuine smile. Wearing the same grey suit and yellow tie as he'd often wore, the suit a few sizes larger than normal, fitting comfortably around his largely proportioned frame of in essence no fat. As he went up to Mr. Beremund, seeking to shake his hand and smile for the camera as accepted his award, before he'd speak into the microphone, holding the award now. Ready to say a few words.

"I have a whole lotta people to thank for this, first of them will be Mr. Beremud here for granting this too me, of course." He smirks arrogantly as he paces about the stage, a very content smile with what he had done and what he has accomplished. He continues.

"But, I must genuinely say, this wouldn't be possible without all of you!" He continues, adjusting his rectangular glasses as a glint reflects off it. "And I mean it, without you, without the people, I wouldn't be able to fund all that I do, all that I am. It is through you, and practically by your own hand, that I am able to act as your protector. All these "Darwinists" these days, want to wipe out on occasion every man and woman deemed too weak. And time and time again, they fail. Why? Because they're wrong. Now, this isn't just a "mutant" problem or a "metahuman" problem. Indeed, there've been powered and non-powered alike who have held this mentality, as well as extra-terrestrials who have sought to do this to humanity as a whole."

He says.

"As Mr. Beremud said, not everyone chooses to use such abilities with malevolent intent. Heck, I make no attempt to hide the fact that I have mutant employees. What we must do is look more towards the individuals and groups who cause this, the true threats to our society. And it is through you that I am able to combat these threats at all. Whatever extra-terrestrial, so called "god", Artificial Intelligence, mutant, metahuman, human or unknown, unholy horror that may threaten our society, I cannot sincerely guarantee victory against all that may threaten us, but what I can guarantee?"

He smirks.

"As long as we're all drawin' a breath, we'll fight it. All because of you...Thank you."

The room was silent for a moment as Bold stood. Same smile as he had as when he walked in. The silence broken with a single person beginning to a clap. Followed by another, and another, and another. Within a few moments, the entire room erupted with applause. Bold thanks them again. He leans over of Beremud with a slight smirk on his face.

"Sorry to sauce 'em up so much Gunther, but had to say a few things. Ya know?" He says with a slight chuckle to himself.

After applause dies down, and as Mr. Beremud offers to take questions, so does Bold. His eyes scanning the crowd as they bombard them both with questions, and his security working in tandem with the MRF's.