Avalon Press Conference - The Avalon Protests

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Lena_Dante

Every time that Lena put herself in front of a camera, it was a manufactured appearance. There was not one modicum of her appearance that was not exactly the way that she intended it to be. First impressions were vital, and with every aspect of her life, Lena intended to retain full control over what people thought of her.

It shaped the way that they viewed what she was saying, and it helped sell the particular vibes that she wanted something to have.

Today’s appearance was intentionally slightly disheveled, which was not far from an accurate portrayal in the fallout of the events that had transpired. Black hair was secured in an artfully crafted messy bun atop the crown of her head, slight pieces of bangs wisping around her classically pretty face.

Her naturally high class sense of style had been toned down to something more casual and demure. A loose white button down shirt was paired with sleek black leather leggings, giving her a youthful and chic edge, but also an air of dismissiveness.

She’d decided against any bracelets, and instead was adorned with only a simple silver band around her right ring finger, understated diamond studs and no other jewelry. She wanted the focus on her partially manufactured worn state, on the lack of airs that she was putting on, on the genuine nature that was being demonstrated.

Only trusted press agents had been chosen to attend what had become one of the most exclusive press events in the city, perhaps the country. Avalon press conferences had gained a reputation for being important, how could they not after the bombshell revelations at the hands of Ms. Antonia Dain, revelations that were still creating shockwaves.

The tone of the room was somber and tense, there were varying opinions of mutant rights of those present, something that Lena had intentionally accounted for so as to provide natural discourse and prevent anticipated questions from gearing more towards one end than the other and allowing her words to be torn apart by the fanatics on the internet.

Standing behind the podium at the front of the press room, Lena leaned one forearm across it, relaxing her body language and appearing casual in an almost lackadaisical manner.

The black square-framed glasses that she sported enunciated the light makeup around her eyes, as well as the slight circles underneath them.

“As I’m sure you are all aware, there has been conflict surrounding Avalon, conflict of a physical and dangerous nature,” she spoke clearly, not mincing words.

Behind her was a series of screens, all keyed to play specific footage and display specific images at her command via the concealed controller she had on the podium.

“There have been various different reports that are at direct odds with each other. Multiple sources have aggravated the events of what happened, and others have decided to turn this one way or the other for their own political means. None of this will be tolerated any longer.”

Lena Dante had built a reputation. She was able to fix any problem, to spin it positively for her client, but above that, she was known as being ethical and honest. She had dropped clients who had lied to her, who were in the wrong, and she had never outright told a lie, despite being a master of twisting the truth to her own means.

This was a different direction for her, this frank speech, and it was one that alerted everybody listening or reading that she meant business, even moreso than usual.

“Unsettled mutants took to assembling outside the walls of Avalon in protest. Protest of their treatment, and protest of Antonia Dain’s involvement with the Amaranth situation, which was covered in our previous press conference.” Pictures displayed on the screen of the congregating crowd, and the tension was almost palpable even in the still imagery.

“These people took it upon themselves to attack Avalon in an aggravated manner. Directly attacking one of our employees, and putting others in danger, as well as those of their own ranks.” Footage of an attempted neck snapping was shown, followed by the flaming pyres of fire that had been directed at Ruby Blake.

“No officers or any other form of serviceman were deployed, and so Avalon took it upon itself to stand its ground and keep its employees, as well as bystanding citizens, safe. Our employees utilized no offensive measures. Building shields were utilized, as was knockout gas and a porous form of concrete, in order to hinder attackers from doing harming innocents on the scene. All non-toxic, all non-lethal, and all less damaging than the tear gas that riot squads are wont to use at their own discretion.”

She was playing up the fact that nobody had come to their aid, that they were forced to do so themselves, and that would play heavily into the latter portion of the conferences events.

“All footage that we have, both from the buildings security systems as well as from the built-in cameras of one of those protecting Avalon will be made available to the public and the press per request for analytical purposes."

She had acquired fool footage of the events from Espada’s in-suit cameras, a brilliant and invaluable asset that would shut down any claims that they had instigated.

“We acted passively and without aggression. We instigated nothing, and did nothing other than stand up for our own safety, and that of the employees within our buildings. We are not the bane of the mutant cause, and are saddened that anybody would take it upon themselves to call us out as such.”

The slightest frisson of anger curled through her, actively suppressed as she retained her appearance of cool composure and no-nonsense delivery.

“Avalon was used as the subject of aggression for an issue that has been stirring this country for a long time. Mutants have been oppressed, there is no doubt about this. Mutants as a whole should not be held responsible for what happened at Avalon, and the violence perpetrated against it.”

“It is unfair to blame an entire group for the actions of a few, actions that are wrought from systemic and institutionalized oppression. Violence is not the answer, and it is misplaced, but it is easy to understand where it came from.” She painted them as understanding, and they were, to say the least. But they were still the victims of outrageous violence, and that was just a piece of the pie.

Straightening her glasses, Lena pursed lips that had been painted a fair shade of pink before continuing.

“There’s a deeper lying issue here, one that bears questioning and investigation. In the past several months, there have been what can really only be termed as terrorist attacks perpetrated on and against US soil, by domestic combatants.”

Images of Gothic City, Philadelphia and what had come to be known as the Siege of Kamelot, displayed on the screen behind her, illustrating her point.

“Not only have these instances not been acknowledged by President Stark, but in their wake, nothing has been done to prevent future instances. In all of the named instances, there have been numerous casualties. Some numbering in the thousands, some of notable people, such as Quintus Knightfall himself.”

Beguiling eyes peered down at the podium for a moment, taking a heavy moment of silence in the wake of Quintus’s presumed death during the siege.

"At the same time that these attacks have been taking place, there has also been a steadily increasing - especially over the last three years - amount of hate crimes against mutants. Who could stand here and blame them for having anger? Avalon most certainly does not. We would just like to see it directed in more productive manner, and towards somebody who should be doing something to help their cause."

“When combatants are on the White House lawn, it is of no hardship for President Stark to show up and defend, but anywhere else and there seems to be a notable absence of not only him and the addressing of these issues, but of any sort of official aid.”

Images of known heroes and other vigilantes flashed across the screen, ushering civilians to safety, saving them and other altruistic notions.

“In light of this, I would like to take the opportunity to announce something.” She paused, letting the anticipation sink in, knowing full well that what was next delivered would be another big splash announcement.

“From this point forward, Avalon will be offering sponsorships to some specifically chosen heroes. Equipment, training, facilities and any aid that they may require will be included.” The tone of the room shifted slightly, tension mounting and surprise spreading. The press agents who were present were clamoring to ask questions, chomping at the bit to be the first. But Lena was not done quite yet.

“The full outlines of this will be elaborated upon soon, but this venture is a concerted effort to make a sustainable difference in the world. Mutants and humans alike are in need of help in managing their abilities, and aside from several schools, there is no concentrated place for them to do so. Avalon hopes to provide such a place, and in doing so, help usher in a new era for those who want to give back to the world.”

Images flashed in a montage of notable heroic events in the past two or three years. “Both mutants and humans are capable of great good in this world, we hope to help more come to this realization and provide them with the opportunity and means to carry out their own good works. The group of individuals being put together will then serve as a protection force of sorts, dealing with conflict that police officers and other trained servicepeople are not equipped to handle due to its high octane and high powered nature.”

The hammer was about to drop, delivered in the sweetest tones of steel wrapped in velvet. “We hope that the President will also attempt to make strides forward in aiding mutants of all sorts, and other individuals who wish to dedicate their time to keeping people safe, as it seems that none of our police officers are properly equipped to do so.”

There was a genuine smile on her face, one that was sweet and almost serene, adding a genuine tone to her final statement.

"There will be more news forthcoming in the next days, and it is at that point that any and all pertinent questions you have will be answered. We thank you for your presence here today, take care and be safe."

Lena made direct eye contact, one by one, with a multitude of the reporters in the room, many of whom she knew personally, establishing direct emotional contact. Turning her back, she gave a small casual salute of two fingers off her forehead before turning her back and exiting Avalon's press room.

Ult_Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what happens when you hire the wrong folks to deal with mutie filth, to much of a media scrum

good stuff as usual, lena looks more edible by the moment

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was awesome. I loved every second of it.
Glad to see some of those issues being addressed and turned into plot points too.

ia_espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nicely done, worth the wait :)

Inferno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Inferno_

Your CEO basically abducted and tortured Amaranth, the mutant messiah... and you direct protestors to the white house?... not very clever.

Nicely written though :p

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I said in private. I don't think I could have the same effect as what I said there, but amazing!

Ult_Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inferno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ult_nerx: LOL, we should fight sometime. I can barbecue you :p

_Nobody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Nobody_

*slow clap*

Awesome.

Ult_Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferno_: go ahead, It is only fair since I will be trying to actively eat you

DwRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great post, this will definitely shake things up :D

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Nice post and I'm really glad I'm not mix up in this business personal.

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Trinity-Blue
DwRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amphetamines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier 67, Deadman's Laboratory...

Once again, the Director sat within his hover chair and viewed the press conference with tired, uninterested eyes. Throughout the entire speech, he moved barely a muscle, the only evident motion upon his form making itself known as a twitch in his right eyebrow. Brown irises had become frightfully emerald, and sickly green veins peeked out at the lab from the crook of his neck. Beside him, his Deputy watched with one hand on her hip and the other on Asher's chair. She shook her head disdainfully and snorted. The Director's eyes inched up to meet hers, and after a moment of teetering eye contact, she broke away and glanced at the projection again. Deadman let the uncomfortable atmosphere linger for a moment longer before he spoke, voice even.

"Let's take care of Ms. Dante."

Inferno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ult_nerx: I'll really consider it, but only when I come back from vacation. I gotta wrap up all CV activity by then.

Mutant_Kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mutant_Kind

The mutant maverick watched Lena's impressive display of misdirection and (subtle) lies with intrigued eyes. Her silver-tongue had almost reminded him of his own. Situated nearer the back of the room, dressed within his habitual white blazer, the revolutionist had stolen the identity of one of the reporters and sneaked inside, watching the Press Conference reminded him of a movie, Lena's poise of confidence, her dynamic disposition and alluring words all seeped through the air, penetrating the minds of the reporters. She had garnered the attention of some of the worlds finest men and woman, that day, but a single, unknown entity's interest had also been piqued.

"I'm coming to get you, Miss Dante"

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amphetamines: @mutant_kind: And the plot thickens. Badass posts, this'll lead to interesting future conflict for sure.

This was awesome. I loved every second of it.

Glad to see some of those issues being addressed and turned into plot points too.

You were part of the spark for that haha. Should be fun to play out, especially in such a public arena.

@everybody else: Thanks for reading :)

And people can feel free (as others did) to post IC reactions to the press conferences.

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it needed to be a little longer......

Avatar image for the_last_samurai
The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Your wife said that, as ya'know, you got some of those old man problems.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Like another paragraph little or another sentence little ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Your wife said that, as ya'know, you got some of those old man problems.

1 - No wife, never married

2 - Yo momma never said anything of the sort so I call BS :)

The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice:

• Then you must have a load of money to afford carers to wipe your backside day in day out, old man :P
  • Because she was too busy laughing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice:

• Then you must have a load of money to afford carers to wipe your backside day in day out, old man :P
  • Because she was too busy laughing.

Nope, I pay them for sponge baths

LOL, that's what I get for making a yo momma joke.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice:

Pragmatic, I can't fault that :P

Cheap shot joke!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice:

Pragmatic, I can't fault that :P

Cheap shot joke!

Mercy has made me sensitive about my age, gotta fight back now :)

The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Hopefully you'll get dementia soon and forget about being insulted :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armistice: Hopefully you'll get dementia soon and forget about being insulted :P

It is always easy to forget anything you write, dementia or not :)

The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Last_Samurai

@armistice: That was strong, can't even lie lol nice xP

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was awesome.
Sponsoring super heroes, now that is a reeeealllly cool idea. :P

The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mastermouse: You're part of the Anti-Avalon Gambler thing remember, watch'a doing a supporting em, Lil'Mouse? :P

MasterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Last_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for valerie_huntington
Valerie_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're a paragon, darling. Simply perfect.

Avatar image for adriana_huntington
Adriana_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is maybe one of my favorite things that I've written

Noah_Noble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still an impressive piece. Makes me wish we could replay old rpgs lol

Soterichor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be awesome. Replaying old RPs like video game levels.

I still miss it all. This is still lovely. Takes me back.