An Investigation into Magic (feat. Minuteman)

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jack_

Disney World theme park, 2014, 1:00

As he hung suspended by his legs from a flaming chandelier, Minuteman wondered how he had gotten into this mess. Wizards. Hn. So arrogant, with their science-defying "magic". They all think they're better than him. Meh.

Meanwhile, down below, "Hermak the Summoner" cackled, bolts of flame shooting wildly from his fingertips. An old man who had recently discovered an ancient scroll that Minuteman had been after, he had become a self-styled "magician." That wasn't to say magic wasn't real-it was clearly able to influence outside events. What bothered the Chrononaut was it's ability to ignore logic; nothing about it made SENSE. Magic, it seemed, could be used to accomplish anything. And while it clearly had limits of it's own, there was nothing defining about them. That was troubling.

Anyways, this crazy old geezer was still spouting lightning from his nostrils, and he was beginning to become a threat. Magical beings, summoned from the astral plane, were attempting to devour innocent tourists who were visiting Disney World. An adventurer's work is never done. Teleporting from the chandelier to behind the demons, the Time-Defying Titan disintegrated the two with a touch from his gloves. In the meantime, it seemed that Hermak had somehow accidentally vaporized himself, and the scroll. Magic! So...frustrating.

He'd have to do something about it. He had no defenses against the occult. Demonic possession, vampirism, sorcery, all relatively foreign to him, compared to aliens and time-traveling conquerors. Well, best to be well-rounded. An investigation into magic seemed like a good series of adventures.

"Cube, guess what. I found something for us to do."

"Oh, joy."

Such sarcasm, and from a robot no less.

As far as Jack was concerned, magic is merely an unexplored science. Well, it had been explored, but not scientifically. Within the Chrono-Cube, there was an entire room devoted to magic artifacts and books of sorcery. It had been a while since he had been in there. After spending some superhumanly accelerated time in there, he felt confident to try something different.

"Cube, begin documentation. Sorcery test one. Fireball."

The incantations yelled by sorcerers were merely used to focus. Non-verbal casting, it seemed, was the better way to go. He struck a pose, hand extended, fist clenched, a look of determination on his face. This was the moment. He would summon primal energies, powers forgotten by science itself, an enigmatic force with the power to bring civilizations to their knees. He smiled as he felt the power channel through him, taken directly from another dimension! The moment of truth was here!

His eyes widened, and then he yelped as his hand burst into flame.

"Okay, fireball test two. Extinguisher nearby? Check. Hand properly bandaged? Check. Painkillers working? Check. Resume documentation."

As far as he could tell, the mistake he had made before was attempting to "cast" without proper training nor genetic favorability. Some people were simply born with a greater aptitude for casting, and it was evident that Jack was not one of these people. With science on his side, however, nothing was impossible. His glove modified to properly contain the minuscule portal he had previously opened, he should be able to properly cast a "fireball".

Once again focusing his mind, he snapped his fingers, grinning as the small flame appeared in his metal-covered fingers. Willing the spark to become larger, he threw it at a nearby target. It exploded quite satisfyingly.

"Now we're rolling. Fireball test two result: positive."

"Oh brilliant, this is just what we need. A fire slinging, time-traveling maniac."

"I'm not a maniac, Cube. I'm only slightly unbalanced. Now let's see what other fun stuff we can find in these here "Bookes of Magicke."

valken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice job on this man! I enjoy the way you write, it's very pleasing to read.

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valken: Thanks, I try to keep his adventures more lighthearted than others I write.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

As aforementioned, your style of writing is very distinguished and mature. I liked this.

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Jack. Wonder where he's at.

(Psst, got your back, bro.)

Curve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I was like,

ONE ALT YOU LYING SON OF A-

But then I saw the date. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:O Umbrella Jack!

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadpool10: Looking through my old stuff used to pain me, but now it's just fun.