Alt Account Issues

• 181 results
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I want to preface this by saying that alternate accounts are still allowed, and that nothing is being done to remove that.

That being said, I wanted to create this topic because I know a good majority of the RPG forum doesn't look at topics outside of this forum, and this is something you all need to be aware of.

As some of you know, there have been some issues with alt accounts lately. There have been new implementations on CV that sometimes backfire against RPGers and others with alternate accounts. If you have an alt account that has been banned, it is not intentional.

If you are one of the people who ends up with an alt account being banned (and for more information and better explanations), please see this thread in the Bug Reporting forum: Alt Accounts and getting banned.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Account linking would be a good function for RPrs

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This. I'd personal like a feature where you can link alts to one main account (In otherwise, no need to have a bunch of different emails just to make alts)

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I would think so.

Geth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geth

@Plan-B:

Here you go. Now you can stop complaining to me about something I clearly know nothing about :)

Avatar image for leonardo_liafador
Leonardo_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE HORROR

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, just speaking from past experience, any time something changes with how accounts are created/verified/formatted etc, RPGers lose accounts. A bunch of accounts were lost in the switch from the old site to the new one, and a while before that when we had the multi-pass upgrade a legion of accounts were lost. Just speaking for myself, the way that they're handled now is just fine, and I'd be afraid to see the implementation of linking or any different functionality in them.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even going to comment anymore on the glitches...wait.

Zeon Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as good as this sounds... knowing the wonderful IT people CV has, it will end up deleting all of our accounts all over again.

I'd rather just make alts, but have them WITHOUT having to worry about them being deleted, locked or banned.

QueenAnt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sentry solos

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The time has come for the rise of the Linked Account master race.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Seems like my Account Linking idea has some likes, is that something that can be implemented?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaebccd120
deactivated-5a4aaebccd120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said the account linking thing back in like 2012. Icarus flies shot me down immediately saying it would cause some kinda tech issues. Considering I already see the notifs from one account on the next I log into, I ain't gettin the difference.

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Account linking sounds like it would backfire spectacularly if implemented, even if it sounds good in theory. Not unlike multipass.

Avatar image for raysh_al_shaytan
Raysh_Al_Shaytan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_ said:

I said the account linking thing back in like 2012. Icarus flies shot me down immediately saying it would cause some kinda tech issues. Considering I already see the notifs from one account on the next I log into, I ain't gettin the difference.

I've gotten notifications on my God_of_Demise account, and went I click on them, it leads me to someone tagging my Dreadpool10 account, and not the alt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nox_ said:

I'm not even going to comment anymore on the glitches...wait.

My thoughts exactly.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

So if I'm understanding correctly I CAN log into my old alts and not get banned. Just can't create NEW ones RIGHT NOW

MTH_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No you can create new ones you just have to put time in between creating them

IronPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mth_:

How much time exactly? Do we know yet or is it a hit and miss kind of deal?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Seems like my Account Linking idea has some likes, is that something that can be implemented?

Hey, sorry for the late reply on this. Mods aren't the ones who deal with implementing new features, and the engineering staff have a lot of other things going on right now, so even if they did decide to implement, it's doubtful that it would happen any time soon.

That being said, my earlier post on my Ren account sums up my feelings about it. Mainly, it's not a functionality that would drastically improve the way things are done, and implementing it would probably break more things than it would improve just based on what's happened with accounts during upgrades and site relaunches in the past.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been away for a few months...what has been happening with Alt accounts?

d?_?b

Alpha_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superstay: It's pretty under control, now. One just has to wait several days between making accounts, so as not to get auto-banned by an anti-spam program.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else having trouble with alternate accounts, and not being able to post. As in the post box isn't even there? Or is that just me?

Sequitur_Crix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sequitur_Crix

@12345f12345: Havent had that problem (yet). But the site has been acting a lil f'd up for me. Slow load times and images not appearing. Bad sign of things to come I think. Have you tried clearing your cache & cookies?

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I have not, I'll try it now and thanks. BUt does that option work on chrome though?

Alexander_Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@12345f12345: I dont see why not. Give it a try then close and reopen your browser. See if it helps.

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexander_apex: I did, it worked posted something on a RPG forum and got banned, well that sucks

Alexander_Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@12345f12345: Was it a picture? I heard new accounts get insta-banned for posting images cause of their new spam policy.....there should be a pinned thread in one of the forums explaining what to do if that happens. Maybe the Gen Discussion or Bug Reporting. Check the top of those forums.

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it was, a mandolrian.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vici_Aurelius

@alexander_apex said:

@12345f12345: Was it a picture? I heard new accounts get insta-banned for posting images cause of their new spam policy.....there should be a pinned thread in one of the forums explaining what to do if that happens. Maybe the Gen Discussion or Bug Reporting. Check the top of those forums.

@12345f12345 said:

Yeah it was, a mandolrian.

Can confirm this, my account "Exemplar" was just banned when I tried to link a youtube URL. Frustrating. @mercy_ is there any way to fix this any time soon?

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 12345F12345
No Caption Provided

Well here's the picture. -->

Also the account was called Hunter-of-bounties

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frustrating. @mercy_ is there any way to fix this any time soon?

I agree that it's frustrating, and it's happened to an account of mine as well. I'm not an engineer, so unfortunately it's not on me on whether or not it gets fixed. Right now it's considered an unfortunate by-product of a spam-filtering system that is much more effective and helpful than anything we've had in the past. It's explained more in the thread linked at the top of this OP.

If it happens to you and it's a new account with relatively few posts (which is the majority of who it's happening to) and you haven't created a thread, it's very easy for me to unban the account and undelete your posts. But if it's an account that has more than 15 posts OR has created a thread, an email should be sent to support@comicvine.com so that a staff member can reverse it.

That's the best we can do right now, sorry for any inconvenience that this is causing anybody!

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Wicked. I've not created any threads and that was my third post ever with that account. Thanks, Mercy.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vici_aurelius: No problem, buddy. And I already went in and unbanned and undeleted the posts of your account that this happened to.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Thanks again.

What makes it hard to unban an account that's made a thread? Is it because that's what spambots do, and they are flagged as such? Also, are there any chances of this account being instabanned again?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mercy_

@vici_aurelius: It's not that it's hard to unban an account that's created a thread, it's that when accounts get 'nuked' (banned and all posts auto-deleted), it becomes hard to undelete those threads and sometimes they get lost. Whereas the engineers can easily just revert the process in one fell swoop.

Vici_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Well, at least there's no more spam.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just made an alt for a new thread but then it kept auto logging out on it's own. I try and go into the account settings and it does it over and over again, sometimes giving a 404 and then doing it. Crazy that this isn't a top priority.

Alexander_Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_animus_ said:

So I just made an alt for a new thread but then it kept auto logging out on it's own. I try and go into the account settings and it does it over and over again, sometimes giving a 404 and then doing it. Crazy that this isn't a top priority.

Same issue. Might have to take it to the Bug Report forum. For all the good that'll do.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banned without posting a single post or picture :-(

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_shogun: Yikes. Can you PM me the account so I can unban it?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Pariah_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems good ol' CV is at it again.

_The_Force_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By _The_Force_

Ironic af lol I'm not getting notifs for posts to me in here

@_animus_ said:

Same issue. Might have to take it to the Bug Report forum. For all the good that'll do.

Thats why I put it here, it does about as much good. Might as well just compile them here and then report the whole thread.

@mercy_ said:

@_animus_: @alexander_apex: No idea what to do about that one. Sorry guys.

I think that the bones of the accounts are made when you create a new one, but the meat of it, like the settings, take a while to catch up.

Matthew_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Matthew_X

My alt got banned. They die so young these days. @corvus_wilshere, posting not to be a**holey, it's just that the thread got locked.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers