A Discourse on Character Creation: Powers

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good Afternoon

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I enjoy most on the RPG segment of the Vine, and I've decided that it's character creation. I've made many more beings than I actually play with (something I sometimes feel guilty about), but this gives me many opportunities to consider the types of powers I'm using and why. While in deep thought about the next few characters I may soon develop, I realized it may be prudent to write a guide of sorts regarding the development of new characters. And where to start? At the powers. They are, in my opinion, the cornerstone of all my written forms. I've based entire concepts solely around a specific ability or power set, especially ones that I find rewarding to use or useful to fight with. Additionally, in my time here on the Vine, I've noticed interesting ability tropes that come in most handy during combat or character development.

1) The Best Thing Ever

It's a way to cheat death. Anything that would enable your character to survive an attack but still sell it is absolutely golden. Two prime examples of characters who do so are Santiago Porthos and Tenjin. Both possess a way to live through impossible amounts of damage, thus keeping their treasured characters alive, but keep the RP fun through the selling of attacks. Santi can resurrect himself from a single molecule of his form (as I understand it), but he can still be incapacitated. Tenjin is reborn after every death, which lets him eventually keep coming back for more. This allows them to extensively use their characters in a way that lets them take risks and engage high-level foes while still selling realistically. In my opinion, some way for your character to logically cheat death while still letting their foe accomplish something is absolutely the most useful thing on the Vine.

2) Money is Totally a Power

It's extraordinarily useful to have your character be a millionaire/billionaire/king/space conqueror. It's one of those situations where if you can dream it, you can have it. It makes sense (to a degree), and it lets you develop a power/resource you may only use once. Experimental warsuits, guns, teleportation devices; they all equate to one thing. A plot device. Plot devices are not 'cheap,' so long as they are used properly. You can advance any story far beyond any meager beginnings with the use of some fictional dough. Hired goons, new technology, a highly-advanced fortress, all yours with the power of money. Just look at Batman, Iron Man, and SHIELD. Funding is a major asset to any character if used correctly. Of course, it's not really a good thing to have tons of billionaires running around. I like to limit myself when it comes to money with my chars, but I can't deny it's very useful.

3) Weaknesses can be Equal to Quirks, and Vice Versa

Nothing makes a character more interesting (in my humble opinion) than their imperfections. What's a good way to develop an imperfection for your character? A quirk. Will their powers harm them? Can they burn out? Do they have to have 'permission' to use their powers? Are the powers themselves a weakness, so to speak? Anything that helps you stay in a fight while selling is crucial, as I mentioned earlier. These can be personality quirks (a common one is insanity), or even physical ones. Perhaps your character is too large and clumsy to use their powers properly, or their good-nature prevents them from even causing harm to an opponent. They all provide interesting edges to a story, and can be altered to fit their needs as well.

4) Perception Check!

Crucial, crucial, crucial. Much like a healing factor, advanced senses are a borderline requirement for any hardcore fighting/selling. In order to realistically contend combat-wise with many of the other players on the Vine, I've found that having enhanced perception is extremely useful. Super-speed, sight, smell; they all help out in some way. How can you realistically land a hit on a character with the acrobatic skill of Vex, for example, without any sort of enhanced perception? The answer would be with skill comparable to his, something I'll go over in the next section. Otherwise, if your character isn't written with a ninja-style backstory, the only way you're certain to land a good hit (without forcing your opponent to either job or no-sell) would be enhanced senses. Perception is everything here.

5) "Skillz that Killz"

As mentioned before, it's quite important to have some way to contend with other, high-class viners in combat. And how does one do that? The answer is nearly always either enhanced perception, skill, or a combination of both. There is undoubtedly an abundance of ninjas, samurai, monks, and pure warriors around. They may seem at first glance to be street-level, but in reality they are definitely the most potent fighters on the forum. The finesse that comes with writing a disciplined character also works to enhance the writing. Consider the following:

"Tom throws a hard punch at his foe, strength enhanced beyond measure." Tom is a superhuman warrior with class-50 strength. But really, what does this accomplish writing-wise? There's not a lot of class when it comes to a brick, as many people call purely-strength based characters. When it comes to a ninja, there is the potential to write an incredibly complex and lethal series of attacks, because they realistically know how to perform them. For example, Nox could easily use his ninja-like talents to anticipate and dodge said punch, all while using incredibly descriptive terms to do so. The end result? A far more polished post with an equal amount of utility. In short, skill is pretty much a superpower here too, and a very, very useful one at that.

Feel free to discuss and share what you think about character creation.

Avatar image for thisisgonnahurt
ThisIsGonnaHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ThisIsGonnaHurt

Yossele's made out of clay and projects himself through a disgruntled young man with nothing to lose.

So, OP I guess.

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Scans to see of I'm mentioned*

Oh Stahp yooou.

Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the mention, and I really think this will help some people in the long run.

Good job.

_Decibel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hadn't thought about the perception bit. Gonna work that in, would actually make for a good balance between Decibel's powersets.

Salubri_Cain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_ said:

Good Afternoon

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I enjoy most on the RPG segment of the Vine, and I've decided that it's character creation. I've made many more beings than I actually play with (something I sometimes feel guilty about), but this gives me many opportunities to consider the types of powers I'm using and why. While in deep thought about the next few characters I may soon develop, I realized it may be prudent to write a guide of sorts regarding the development of new characters. And where to start? At the powers. They are, in my opinion, the cornerstone of all my written forms. I've based entire concepts solely around a specific ability or power set, especially ones that I find rewarding to use or useful to fight with. Additionally, in my time here on the Vine, I've noticed interesting ability tropes that come in most handy during combat or character development.

1) The Best Thing Ever

It's a way to cheat death. Anything that would enable your character to survive an attack but still sell it is absolutely golden. Two prime examples of characters who do so are Santiago Porthos and Tenjin. Both possess a way to live through impossible amounts of damage, thus keeping their treasured characters alive, but keep the RP fun through the selling of attacks. Santi can resurrect himself from a single molecule of his form (as I understand it), but he can still be incapacitated. Tenjin is reborn after every death, which lets him eventually keep coming back for more. This allows them to extensively use their characters in a way that lets them take risks and engage high-level foes while still selling realistically. In my opinion, some way for your character to logically cheat death while still letting their foe accomplish something is absolutely the most useful thing on the Vine.

2) Money is Totally a Power

It's extraordinarily useful to have your character be a millionaire/billionaire/king/space conqueror. It's one of those situations where if you can dream it, you can have it. It makes sense (to a degree), and it lets you develop a power/resource you may only use once. Experimental warsuits, guns, teleportation devices; they all equate to one thing. A plot device. Plot devices are not 'cheap,' so long as they are used properly. You can advance any story far beyond any meager beginnings with the use of some fictional dough. Hired goons, new technology, a highly-advanced fortress, all yours with the power of money. Just look at Batman, Iron Man, and SHIELD. Funding is a major asset to any character if used correctly. Of course, it's not really a good thing to have tons of billionaires running around. I like to limit myself when it comes to money with my chars, but I can't deny it's very useful.

3) Weaknesses can be Equal to Quirks, and Vice Versa

Nothing makes a character more interesting (in my humble opinion) than their imperfections. What's a good way to develop an imperfection for your character? A quirk. Will their powers harm them? Can they burn out? Do they have to have 'permission' to use their powers? Are the powers themselves a weakness, so to speak? Anything that helps you stay in a fight while selling is crucial, as I mentioned earlier. These can be personality quirks (a common one is insanity), or even physical ones. Perhaps your character is too large and clumsy to use their powers properly, or their good-nature prevents them from even causing harm to an opponent. They all provide interesting edges to a story, and can be altered to fit their needs as well.

4) Perception Check!

Crucial, crucial, crucial. Much like a healing factor, advanced senses are a borderline requirement for any hardcore fighting/selling. In order to realistically contend combat-wise with many of the other players on the Vine, I've found that having enhanced perception is extremely useful. Super-speed, sight, smell; they all help out in some way. How can you realistically land a hit on a character with the acrobatic skill of Vex, for example, without any sort of enhanced perception? The answer would be with skill comparable to his, something I'll go over in the next section. Otherwise, if your character isn't written with a ninja-style backstory, the only way you're certain to land a good hit (without forcing your opponent to either job or no-sell) would be enhanced senses. Perception is everything here.

5) "Skillz that Killz"

As mentioned before, it's quite important to have some way to contend with other, high-class viners in combat. And how does one do that? The answer is nearly always either enhanced perception, skill, or a combination of both. There is undoubtedly an abundance of ninjas, samurai, monks, and pure warriors around. They may seem at first glance to be street-level, but in reality they are definitely the most potent fighters on the forum. The finesse that comes with writing a disciplined character also works to enhance the writing. Consider the following:

"Tom throws a hard punch at his foe, strength enhanced beyond measure." Tom is a superhuman warrior with class-50 strength. But really, what does this accomplish writing-wise? There's not a lot of class when it comes to a brick, as many people call purely-strength based characters. When it comes to a ninja, there is the potential to write an incredibly complex and lethal series of attacks, because they realistically know how to perform them. For example, Nox could easily use his ninja-like talents to anticipate and dodge said punch, all while using incredibly descriptive terms to do so. The end result? A far more polished post with an equal amount of utility. In short, skill is pretty much a superpower here too, and a very, very useful one at that.

Feel free to discuss and share what you think about character creation.

Number 2, the whole Money is power thing...

Cash is not the only currency in the modern world, Favors, Rumors, SECRETS: knowing all the dirt on everyone, can get you pretty much everything you want as well. Having the cash on top of that is just the icing on the cake.

King_Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By King_Revolver

Sounds about right.

Paper_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nailed it.

The_Akkadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair enough.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_: That's a really good breakdown. One of the best I've seen, ever, actually.

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack_
@_vex_ said:

*Scans to see of I'm mentioned*

Oh Stahp yooou.

@rafael_romeiro said:

Thanks for the mention, and I really think this will help some people in the long run.

Good job.

The characters you guys use are excellent examples of skill / power coming into play during a fight. Not only do I credit you two with much of my learning here, they both made what I was trying to say way easier.

@paper_ronin said:

Nailed it.

Thank you. I like making these, maybe there will be more soon.

@the_shogun said:

@jack_: That's a really good breakdown. One of the best I've seen, ever, actually.

Psssh, there are far better ones around that people should take a look at. I'm flattered that you'd say that, though.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Pyrogram

@jack_: Wanna write with your new character? Mathematical dude.

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice amigo, I agree with every you said. Especially the martial arts.

Definitely the one universal power, some kind of combat expertise even if its just street fighting.

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_: I don't know about that lol. You spelled out the benefits of a defense that balances the need to sell with the need to stay in the battle, the usefulness of a perception ability and the vast advantage a martial arts character has writing wise.

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@jack_: Wanna write with your new character? Mathematical dude.

Maybe sometime soon, Spring Break is coming up and I'll have more time to commit to something. I appreciate the offer!

@tenjin said:

Very nice amigo, I agree with every you said. Especially the martial arts.

Definitely the one universal power, some kind of combat expertise even if its just street fighting.

I'm getting more and more into the hand-to-hand / disciplined characters. I stayed away from that formula when I first started here, and I think it offers many more opportunities for fighting than just straight heat-vision or super-strength. It's even better when combined with an interesting power IMO.

@jack_: I don't know about that lol. You spelled out the benefits of a defense that balances the need to sell with the need to stay in the battle, the usefulness of a perception ability and the vast advantage a martial arts character has writing wise.

I dunno. I've not been around here all that long, there's definitely someone better suited to talk to when it comes to writing than I am. Thanks for the compliments, though.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@jack_: I'm getting busy myself after this work break ends, hope we don't miss each other :P

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@jack_: I'm getting busy myself after this work break ends, hope we don't miss each other :P

Ah, the pressures of balancing RL responsibilities with writing. I'm knee-deep in a big chemistry project right now. S'worth my entire semester grade for the class. I don't have much time for interactions, but I can handle writing little one-shots, characters, and guides like this one in my spare time. They're good stress relievers.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

This is impressive

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Cheating Death
  • Tons of money
  • Skills dat killz
  • Perception
  • Fun Weaknesses

Funny, it seems that I possess them all.

Nice discourse, man!

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting thoughts. I'll have to read them again with more depth when I'm not also studying for a test.

TheFlashFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot Tallahassee! This is really well written, nice break down man.

Orion_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be bumped ,very well written guide for the newer guys.

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orion_savage: Why must you insist on reminding people of my first username XD

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Cheating Death
  • Tons of money
  • Skills dat killz
  • Perception
  • Fun Weaknesses

Funny, it seems that I possess them all.

Nice discourse, man!

A Year and One Month later.

TimeSiphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TimeSiphon

Cheating death? I have no idea what it's talking about. Certainly none of my characters (hides the Hawks and Siphons) fit that description. Nothing to see here, move along. ;)

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were I to write this again today, I'd mention that these are ideal for newer writers. While they're perfectly viable for vets too (and indeed, the examples I used were vets), this is probably the guide to writing characters who work easily. When someone's more comfortable with writing, it's good to subvert these expectations.

Also, I'd never write "Skillz that killz" ever again in a serious context. Ever.

Bibpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orion_savage: @lichter: this is a very good read. I'm glad it was bumped I never would have read it if it hadn't.

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bibpin: Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I should re-write it, though. Today I'd describe things differently.