• 124 results
#1 Edited by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what is absolutely kick-ass?

F***in' D&D

That's right. D&D is absolutely the f***ing s*** and there is no way any of you dorks can even hope to deny it. If you did I'd slap you and inform you that you're incorrect.

Now that we've established that I'd like to firmly note that I have had extreme difficulty playing over the past several years, due to difficulties syncing up schedules, finding people to play with, and even more challenging, finding a dedicated DM who doesn't flake out after level 3 -- no offense to these kinds of DM's, as I am one of them (which is why I shall not be volunteering for the position myself).

Stop rambling Joy. What are you actually trying to arrange?

Watch your tone with me, bold-text voice. I am not a patient woman.

Jeez, okay. But seriously, what's the point of this thread?

Isn't that obvious? :D I want to arrange a forum game with a traditional party (using 3.5e or Pathfinder rulings depending on the most popular pick) of 4-5 characters and a Games Master/Dungeon Master.

Like, with rolls and rules and everything?

We're in a tight spot!

You bet, bold-text voice. In the immortal words of Ulysses Everett McGill, "The pleasing odor is half the point." Playing D&D without rules and books and dice and cheetos and rules-lawyering and bitching about random stuff and Character X being sure that Character Y can't apply Rapid Shot to an Eldritch Blast and the entire group going through books and websites to see whether he actually can or if that's gonna make him way too powerful. It's part of the fun.

So basically, yeah. We'll use dice-roll sites and we can use Myth-Weavers character sheets 'cause they work well. Since I made this thread and I want this to work well I suppose I'll take it upon myself to filter applicants and try to form a solid party. I will not, however, be DMing... so that's a concern.

How do I apply?

Just post in this thread, stating that you are interested and either:

• That you're interested in being the DM for the game, or
  • What monster food group you want to play as. Specific classes and builds are not required, you can plan that later. Just say "brick", "mage", "sneaky bastard", "healy dude" or whatever. If you belong in this thread then you know what I'm talking about.

Notice: Application is currently closed. You can apply for a reserve position in the event that an active member dies or drops the game, but the party is currently locked in place.

We are, however, seeking a new DM. Please apply below.

Joy, I'm interested but unfamiliar with the material. Can I still apply?

The info is pretty easy to get online. If you're actually interested, do some reading -- I can help newer players but I'm here to get my f***in' quest on, not babysit. You're gonna have to read the books anyway if you wanna play, so I'll run you through a quick quiz off the top of my head to see if you're good to go.

Okay, good write up, but you forgot a very obvious thing that is vital to my interest in this. What is the answer to my possibly-existent question?

I'm Patrick Stewart and I read minds because I'm British.

Ask me, silly. What do I look like, a telepath? DO I LOOK LIKE PROFESSOR XAVIER TO YOU?

This thread is totally open for discussion and organization of our (hopefully soon-to-exist) totally kick-ass game. Discuss plans for classes and races, what kind of system we'll eventually end up using, who's going to DM, what sort of world we'll use, and all that other fun stuff that gives every single D&D campaign it's very own very special flavor and YES I'm purposefully extending this paragraph for this sole purpose of reaching it past the picture beside it so that the page won't look weird.

... *burps*

Mission accomplished. :D

Are there rules?

1. Try not to suck too badly.
  2. Don't metagame.
  3. Learn to spell and use punctuation or GTFO.
  4. Try to actually post in a reasonably timely manner. I don't expect 5+ posts per day but don't just put it off, as a group we'll be relying on you to keep the story moving forward.
  5. Breaking any of the rules above will result in your character getting hit by a 20d6 lightning bolt and instantly dying, and we'll take all of your stuff and eat your corpse.

Just to keep track, who's playing?

[Dungeon Master] - [Empty]

[Player 1] - Joygirl -- Izabel "Izzy" Ravencourt
[Player 2] - RisingBean -- Archer
[Player 3] - GraniteSoldier -- Monk
[Player 4] - Squares -- Cleric
[Player 5] - [Vying for position]

NOW LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED

#2 Posted by _SpiderBoy_ (1027 posts) - - Show Bio

+1 off the bat for a "O brother, where art thou?" reference.

#3 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is something new. Cool idea and good luck

#4 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by MasterMouse (3602 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never played D&D in my entire life.
I don't think I would be able to learn in a timely manner either.
Goood luck with it though Joy. (:

#6 Posted by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if you find a DM

#7 Edited by Lady_Liberty (8211 posts) - - Show Bio

Its been years and years and years and years.

#8 Edited by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in. Archer most likely. I'd prefer Pathfinder rules as I own hard copies of the books, 3.X isn't maintained as WotC has moved onto 4.0 and beyond and I can personally help interested parties with links and some other aspects. Also Pathfinders are tougher characters with more specialization available and better treats per class level.

Here is the pathfinder standard reference document site. All crunch, no fluff.

For those of you on the fence, tabletop RPG's are a mix of improv theater, campfire stories and dice rolling. For example if you have a archer fetish appreciation like me you would build his ranged skills up using class abilities and feats and the like. I may not be able to swing a sword with a much devastation as a barbarian but it means I have my niche.

If you can do a little simple math, and like to write/read about dragons, dungeons, warriors, mages and people doing epic things, this may be for you.

@mastermouse I think the best way to learn is in play. That is how I did it. If you're interested and have the time, think it over.

#9 Edited by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: For posterity (mentioned this to Wildvine already) I'm probably going to make a nuker.

#10 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Alrighty. Wildvine is in too?

#11 Posted by Darling_Luna (3319 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I be a Kamen Rider ?

#12 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Alrighty. Wildvine is in too?

She's on the fence right now I think, but yeah.

Can I be a Kamen Rider ?

Heehee! Trying to figure out how that would work. *scratches chin*

#13 Posted by Darling_Luna (3319 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: There are like Mid-evil, Japanese Mysticism/magic Kamen Riders that could work heeh

Hibiki

#14 Posted by _Glacier_ (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! I love to play D&D.

#15 Posted by Laughingstock (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna play, I wanna play! :0

#16 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (3840 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been a D&D DM for many years. I have been a VTM GM lately however. Joygirl! <3

#17 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna play, I wanna play! :0

I love how your post shows that you didn't even read the entire OP. :D

#18 Posted by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by _Wolf_Spider_ (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I be a Kamen Rider ?

I smell Power Rangers.

@Joygirl:

I've never played D&D, but I've always wanted to try it out. I got too much time on my hands right now, but good luck :)

#20 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been a D&D DM for many years. I have been a VTM GM lately however. Joygirl! <3

*cuddlesquish* You interested in being our games master, lovely Naah? Few folks I'd trust more <3

#21 Posted by Darling_Luna (3319 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by _Wolf_Spider_ (824 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by ownagepants (4071 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Darling_Luna (3319 posts) - - Show Bio

@_wolf_spider_: Toei of Japan created Power Rangers in the 70's, Kamen Rider is also a show they made

#25 Edited by _Glacier_ (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Oooooooooooookay. If I can be an ugly ass orc, I'm fine with it =P

#26 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (3840 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Or Pathfinder. They're pretty much the same thing anyway.

Also, to the rest of the thread:

#30 Edited by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be a fighter guy, er girl.

#31 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (3840 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

@_nobody_: Will Half Orc work? @joygirl: Cool as per Wildvine. Though I should note Pathfinder is more like 3.75. A lot more choices and tougher PC's. You get a lot more. Trust me it's the superior product.

#33 Posted by Laughingstock (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: I love how I'm too lazy to write a full post describing the OP rules.

#34 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@_nobody_: Will Half Orc work? @joygirl: Cool as per Wildvine. Though I should note Pathfinder is more like 3.75. A lot more choices and tougher PC's. You get a lot more. Trust me it's the superior product.

Technically there's no reason we can't use both since they're intercompatible. For instance if someone doesn't know PF rules they can still make a 3.5 character and nobody will really notice.

Nobody, I'm PMing you a quick quiz from off the top of my head. ANSWER WISELY.

#35 Posted by Schlampe (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Joy. She's so animated.

But I have absolutely 0 experience here, and could not guarantee my presence for things.

#36 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: That's cool. I'll warn everybody though, Pathfinder characters are tougher then 3.5. They get more feats, class abilities and are more versatile. As per rules and such, that should be an easy enough fix. And maybe we'll see some Illithids. I miss them.

Also if you want me to I can make an example of how posting IC'ly vs OOC'ly should go.

And I can begin my build once I know what level we are going to begin play at, and what the point buy is.

#37 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean:

I'd prefer to start from 1st-3rd level, but, I suppose details like that will be up to @naamah_obyzouth: if she decides to take the reigns.

#38 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@schlampe said:

I love Joy. She's so animated.

I am?

*looks down at self*

MY GOD I AM.

#39 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@naamah_obyzouth: @joygirl: Ok. Once level and point buys are established, lemme know.

Unless ruled against, I'll start as a Fighter with the Archer Archetype.

Still kinda mulling over what I want to do. Strongly considering doing an Elf Feyblood Sorcerer/Warlock, go Eldritch Theurge, and take all of the Fey Heritage feats because it's a simply terrific build and complements itself well. *scratches chin*

#41 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Going for the extreme builds I see. I'm seeing you as our Scarlet Witch for some reason.

"No more Goblins."

#42 Edited by mr_gone (193 posts) - - Show Bio

What kind of schedule are we talking? This sounds fun and i've got a good amount of the books for 3.5

#43 Edited by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Going for the extreme builds I see. I'm seeing you as our Scarlet Witch for some reason.

"No more Goblins."

I can't help myself *flails* I massively complicate and overthink builds to balance power and flavor to create the perfect image in my head. Character creation becomes an obsession with me.

I once had a character, Ayariel Stormthistle.

She was:

1. Rogue (with the "Thug" character concept, swapping a pile of skills for higher B.A.B.), lvl 2
  2. Druid, lvl 3
  3. Sorcerer, lvl 1, with the Precocious Apprentice feat that allowed her to cast a single second level spell (therefore making her "able to cast second level spells")
  4. Arcane Heirophant, lvl 3
  5. Bard, lvl 1
  6. Fochlucan Lyrist, lvl 5

To sum up, at level 15, she:

1. Had the B.A.B. of an 11th-level fighter
  2. Could cast 4th level sorc spells
  3. Could cast 6th level druid spells
  4. Bardic music/knowledge as a 6th level bard
  5. Boatloads of skills and special abilities
  6. And did all of it wearing light armor
#44 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_gone said:

What kind of schedule are we talking? This sounds fun and i've got a good amount of the books for 3.5

Not so much a schedule. The thread will stay open and people will post when they do (so it may move slowly until we work out a rhythm).

#45 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: You made a beast to be sure. I don't even want to contemplate the loopholes involved.

Also we should see if @granitesoldier is interested. He's in the geek fraternity too.

#46 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: You made a beast to be sure. I don't even want to contemplate the loopholes involved.

Also we should see if @granitesoldier: is interested. He's in the geek fraternity too.

Good idea. :D

Looking over races right now. I keep forgetting the Point Buy thing and obsessing over racial bonuses... *deep breaths* Just gotta pay attention to the special abilities. Does Pathfinder have rules for Tallfellows? I'm kinda newer to it.

#47 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Tallfellows? Urk. I have never in my life played a Halfling. As it is, I do not think there is one in Pathfinder. At least in none of the content I own. Standard Halflings get a +2 to dex AND cha and -2 to str. So there's that. Here is the SRD for the race as far as Pathfinder has them.

#48 Posted by GraniteSoldier (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...

Who am I killing? What's going on? I didn't read OP just got tagged.

#49 Posted by Joygirl (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Tallfellows? Urk. I have never in my life played a Halfling. As it is, I do not think there is one in Pathfinder. At least in none of the content I own. Standard Halflings get a +2 to dex AND cha and -2 to str. So there's that. Here is the SRD for the race as far as Pathfinder has them.

I normally don't either, don't wanna be a shorty and REALLY don't wanna be a stubby-foot shorty, hence why I inquired about tallfellows.

Damphir are pretty friggin' pimp but that negative energy thing is a real buzzkill.

Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...

Who am I killing? What's going on? I didn't read OP just got tagged.

Read the OP. :D

#50 Posted by GraniteSoldier (6648 posts) - - Show Bio