• 65 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (39195 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman sure loves to brood and do things by himself, but throughout the years, he's allowed a number of people to stand right by his side. When it comes to the mantle of Robin, there's six characters who usually to come to mind immediately: Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Stephanie Brown, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, and Carrie Kelley. Sure, there's other Robins from different universes and what not, but these six tend to be the most iconic. Each brings their own qualities to the table and are adored for completely different reasons, but this week, we wanted to see which one you like the most and why. Well, after two days of voting, the Comic Vine community has declared a winner. It looks like your fellow Viners think you just can't go wrong with the original. Congrats, Dick Grayson!

Dick "Sensational" Grayson!

It was a pretty close race, but in the end, the very first boy wonder earned 34% of the votes. Making his debut back in 1940 (DETECTIVE COMICS #38), Dick Grayson was originally described as "an exciting new figure whose gymnastic and athletic feats will astound you... a laughing, fighting, young daredevil who scoffs at danger like the legendary Robin Hood whose name and spirit he has adopted." Not only was Grayson the first Robin to fight side-by-side with the Caped Crusader for so many years, but he also evolved a great deal since putting on the yellow cape. He went on to lead the Teen Titans (as Robin), and, as you all of course know, eventually became Nightwing and even temporarily stepped into Batman's cowl. Let's see what one Viner has to say about Grayson.

Viner Post of the Week for Dick Grayson is by Alak

"Dick Grayson easily gets my vote. To me, he's had more character growth out of any of the robins which is due to the advantage of having the longest publication history. His role as a sidekick is underrated by a lot of readers because they only remember the cheesy puns, but he's actually had a lot of moments where he shined as the boy wonder. Let's also not forget that as Robin, he was a founder of the original Teen Titans, a team whose legacy continues to be very well-known today. As Nightwing, Dick proved that a sidekick was capable of breaking free from the shadows of his mentor. The guy was skilled enough to clean up his own city while continuing helping out in Gotham as well as helping out with the Titans/Justice League. Then there's the fact that he was the obvious choice for becoming Batman after Bruce died, and he did a good job at carrying the mantle even after the latter returned. Team Grayson FTW!"

Grayson may have snagged the top spot, but he was in relatively close race with Tim and Damian during the two day voting period. Initially, all three were tied and then Tim took the lead. However, more and more voters began to rally for the original Robin and he eventually flipped his way to victory. Sadly, Carrie and Stephanie were left in the dust while Jason received a moderate amount of love. Check out the poll figures below.

• Dick Grayson 34%
  • Tim Drake 29%
  • Damian Wayne 22%
  • Jason Todd 11%
  • Stephanie Brown 2%
  • Carrie Kelley 2%

Who earned your vote, reader? Feel free to share your favorite image or cover of the character below. Don't be shy, join the discussion.

Do you enjoy voting in a new question every week? Well, feel free to suggest a question for the segment below or send it via twitter. Seriously, it may be used one day! Anyway, be sure to check the homepage next Tuesday for an all-new question.

Staff
#1 Posted by Saren (25573 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by G_leno (978 posts) - - Show Bio

Damien was robbed!

#3 Edited by Wolverine08 (40710 posts) - - Show Bio

Damain didn't win?

#4 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2875 posts) - - Show Bio

Original is always the best....at least IMO in this case lol

#5 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (1871 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I think we all knew this would be the result.

#6 Posted by bladewolf (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang it, I voted for Jason Todd :(

#7 Posted by RiotSqrrl (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Dick is a stronger Nightwing than he ever was as a Robin. Truth be told, I liked the Alan Davis issues of Detective featuring Jason Todd as Robin and the handful of Steph as Robin issues bestest.

#8 Posted by arw1985 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

"There can only be one!"

And there's my random Highlander quote for the day.

#9 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

@bladewolf: I know how you feel. I did so as well.

#10 Posted by danhimself (22447 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick may be the most popular but Tim was easily the best at being Robin

#11 Posted by longbowhunter (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy to see so many votes go towards Tim Drake.

#12 Edited by Billy_Cobb (30 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is arguably the worst Robin. Yes he's a great character and yes Nightwing rocks but as Robin? No way.

#14 Edited by StMichalofWilson (3738 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

Damien: The Robin who can hold a grudge

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21376 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is arguably the worst Robin. Yes he's a great character and yes Nightwing rocks but as Robin? No way.

How? He never threw a guy off a building? He never went and got himself killed? I like Jason even so, Dick is better.

What makes you like Tim or Damian more?

#16 Posted by The Stegman (23785 posts) - - Show Bio

Disappointing

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

How? He never threw a guy off a building? He never went and got himself killed? I like Jason even so, Dick is better.

What makes you like Tim or Damian more?

Because the vast majority of their character development was when they were Robin. That's not the same for Dick.

#18 Edited by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't understand why some people complain about Damian not winning this poll, yet they spell the name WRONG!

Anyway, I voted Jason, but deep in my heart I knew Dick would win. He is such a charismatic character that it was obvious he is the best as Robin. But Jason is the underdog. The one that, in my eyes, has suffered the most for aligning himself in this crusade.

GO Jason!

#19 Edited by viin (564 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Jason Todd but figured Tim Drake would win but hey at least Dick Grayson got it.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (19101 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from Dick being a bad Robin, I agree with Jonny here. The reason why Dick became a great character was because Wolfman gave Dick his own identity and status away from Batman and The Bat Family. After becoming Nightwing, further writers and creators fleshed out Dick Grayson as a character and developed him into who he is today. His success has to do with his evolution as a character, not his beginnings as a Robin. The best Robin would probably have to be Tim or Damian based on character development or personality growth within the role.

#22 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16303 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't vote. Don't care for any of them.

#25 Posted by tuckboarder (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did Tim beat Damian?!

#26 Edited by LCazT1996 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

^This

#27 Posted by ballisticbread (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Figured this would happen, I personally rooted for Jason, but could anyone make an argument for Carrie Kelly? I dunno, I just expected more support for her, even though she really didn't have a chance.

#28 Posted by Vincie_Pooh (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you :)

#29 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7459 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is my favorite character on the list, but I didn't really start to like him until he was Nightwing. As far as Robin's go, Tim Drake got my vote.

#30 Posted by ccraft (5164 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts exactly.

#31 Posted by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Damian so freaking much :'( Imma go read me some Damian comics...

#32 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Woo! Go Team Dick! Seriously, though, I stand my by original post that Grayson is a highly underrated Robin. Not only was he a good sidekick, but he proved to be a phenomenal leader as Robin. Sure, as a sidekick he falls short behind Tim, but looking at his overall career as Boy Wonder, I believe that Dick has the richest history as well as the best feats.

#34 Posted by G_leno (978 posts) - - Show Bio

@nahuel said:

I can't understand why some people complain about Damian not winning this poll, yet they spell the name WRONG!

Anyway, I voted Jason, but deep in my heart I knew Dick would win. He is such a charismatic character that it was obvious he is the best as Robin. But Jason is the underdog. The one that, in my eyes, has suffered the most for aligning himself in this crusade.

GO Jason!

The name being spelt wrong could be a typo, or a speed error or whatever. Its just a shame so many people here love Dick. I mean that in more than one way. jk.

Dick is a great nighwing, but robin, nah. Remember, its Grayson that was in the old tv show. Any Robin that could come out with 'Holy hole in a doughnut Batman!' cannot be the best Robin. I'd have voted Tim after Damian, Tim is cool.

#35 Posted by Captain13 (3314 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm SO happy Dick and Tim got 1st and 2nd. Suck it, Damian.

#36 Edited by spidershamrock (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad Dick won, Damian has sneaked past him as my favourite Robin, but I definitely think Dick is the best

#37 Posted by RustyRoy (11891 posts) - - Show Bio

For a character who's been around for less than a decade and with far less mainstream exposure than Dick and Tim, Damian did pretty good.

#38 Posted by micah (1267 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

While he does have his own following now, I think Damian's popularity will skyrocket after Son of Batman gets released in May. Same thing happened to Jason Todd after Under the Red Hood was released. Not a lot of people cared for him before (or even knew about him), but after its release I saw so many fans and fanart pop up out of nowhere. It kind of makes you wonder when Tim is going to get his shot with the media. Dick already has decades worth of exposure in movies and cartoons, so his Robin and Nightwing personas are easily already iconic. Even Carrie Kelley got more exposure with TDKR parts 1 & 2. Aside from relatively minor roles in Batman: TNAS and YJ:I, Tim hasn't had much exposure to the public.

#40 Posted by Outside_85 (8565 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Tim, and I did so because he was the one that for me made the character of Robin independent from Batman. Dick was the first Robin and had nearly all of his adventures alongside Batman, which is how people remember him best, before he became Nightwing.

#41 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes,this!^

#42 Posted by Ducey13 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this poll shows how great they all are.

#43 Edited by thetomorrowknight2013 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Yes,this!^

Thank you, Dick is good at what he does as far as his Nightwing career goes but Tim has had the best career as Robin. He was a detective, he was a martial artist, he was respectful, he was the perfect assistant to Bruce and that is what a true Robin needs to be. I'll never understand why people would honestly lobby for Jason and/or Damian.

#44 Edited by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

this sums the whole thing up nicely

#45 Posted by Mapuia_Ralte (80 posts) - - Show Bio

QFT

#46 Posted by momo111191 (246 posts) - - Show Bio

there would be no Tim or Damian if dick didn't do such a good job.

#47 Posted by Dedpool (317 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Damian, but Tim was the best Robin. Dick IS Nightwing. He was the first, he set the bar, but Tim really made the role it's own. Everyone else was just a sidekick.

#48 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, you can't beat the classics. Dick basically defined the role of Robin. Probably why the cartoons always use him.

#49 Posted by jackbensley777 (645 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: not that dick was just popular, but he was the first and it was a bad desision to evenhave another robin after him thats why they killed off jason todd. eventually over the years people excepted it and didnt mind other robins. Dick was the first Dickj was the best . Go suck a richard

#50 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang it, I voted for Jason Todd :(

same buddy