We've now had the New 52 version of Raven out and about for roughly half a year and our impressions of her seem to have settled... And quite a few of us aren't liking what we are seeing. So, instead of just saying; 'bring back the old version' I thought it might be entertaining to see what we would do to tweak this new version into a character we can get behind.
My list of tweaks:
- Make her independent, as far as I can tell she is now leaning heavily on her father for support and power whenever something difficult challenges her. And I'd rather see her do stuff like that only when Trigon is nearby, not when she is alone.
- Make her good, in the past I was drawn to her partially because she was a half-demon that fought the good fight out of her own free will (unlike Etrigan). Like Tim noted; a demon trying to live like a saint, which I thought was an interesting conflict to have.
- The suit... Most people seem to consider it one of the worst designs of the New 52, I don't like it either for a number of reasons, but I could come to accept it if they simply lifted the hood to make it look like the old beak hood she used to have and just leave her face in shadows. It would still be far too busy for anyone to bother drawing again and again with any kind of accuracy, but at least it wouldn't be impractical.
- Tell us her plan. This was one of the reasons Wallace's Titans was such a massive failure and I see it being repeated here, both Raven and Deathstroke have plans and reasons for their actions, but we readers are given nothing regarding what it is they are aiming for before the endgame begins... A time when we have stopped really caring and are all very annoyed about the lack of rhyme or reason that's led to it.
- Write her mysterious/cultivated. By this I mean in the past better writers always took care to make Raven sound different from people of her own age to reflect her upbringing in Azerath, W/P even extended this to how she dressed. Atm I am not sure if I want her to dress like a normal teen (which just seems to be against her old personality) or have her dress in a more unique way (though I thought it was a bit typical she'd go goth).
So, what tweaks do you want to see to get behind this incarnation of Raven?